Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Official Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Official Events Booths, Gun Show Events and other Official occasions. (Limited Posting)

Old 09-14-2011, 8:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Teasers for this weekend done by folks who are Americans, Appleseeders, our brothers and sisters.

-Pete
Commerce without morality
Science without humanity
Worship without sacrifice
Politics without principle
- Ghandi, Mohandas (The Blunders of the World)
Rights without responsibilities
- Ghandi, Arun

Last edited by ironpete; 09-14-2011 at 8:12 AM..
Old 09-14-2011, 8:55 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

^^^ nice vids Pete... this will be very cool!

I read on Appleseed.org list of things to bring (gun related) - suggested minimum 400 rds (500 to have plenty)... but couldn't tell if that would be for each day or both days?

We're only going Sat... I dont mind bringing "more than enough" - but I'd rather not drag along 1K rds of ammo if it's not necessary (2 shooter, 1 day)... do you know how much ammo for one day per shooter?
Old 09-15-2011, 5:07 AM
CGN Contributor

500 rounds is plenty for both days for both of you....I'd take 500 even though you are only going Saturday.
Old 09-15-2011, 5:37 AM
Made in the USA

500 for both, 10-4

Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 9:33 AM

does anybody have a daily schedule breakdown for these events? my wife wants to go but hates sitting out in the sun all day.
Old 09-15-2011, 9:52 AM
Veteran Member

She can sit under our EZ-UP all day.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Just signed up, this will be my first.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can we set EZ Ups near (or on) the firing line?

And once we have a 'spot' on the line, do we stay at that spot the whole time? No schlepping everything all over the place and back?
Old 09-15-2011, 2:25 PM

In order to win a raffle, do you have to be present?
Old 09-15-2011, 2:39 PM

How do the raffles work? Are tickets going to be sold, and how much will they cost? Is there going to be just one door prize?
Old 09-15-2011, 3:02 PM
Banned

What makes it cost so much for the tickets?
Old 09-15-2011, 4:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Quick answers to the last few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
Can we set EZ Ups near (or on) the firing line?
Nope. EZ-ups can be set up behind the equipment/safety line unless your Flight Boss allows you to set up the EZ-up on the line itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
And once we have a 'spot' on the line, do we stay at that spot the whole time? No schlepping everything all over the place and back?
You'll shoot from the same position the whole day and your equipment will be just behind that at the equipment line. Instruction will either be downrange or at the "circle" behind your equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmar View Post
In order to win a raffle, do you have to be present?
Nope...Winners do not need to be present. The big raffles will be on Sunday so that Saturday only and Sunday only attendees get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDog333 View Post
How do the raffles work? Are tickets going to be sold, and how much will they cost? Is there going to be just one door prize?
For the door prizes (most of the prizes like the rifles, gift certificates, games, etc) you'll get your tickets when you finish signing in. For the M1 Garand and some of the other prizes you'll need to buy a ticket...that will depend on the particular prize. As far as door prizes there are several rifles and at least one $500.00 gift certificate. We also have numerous smaller door prizes like Cold Steel knives, Constitution Quest (the game) and other surprise items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
What makes it cost so much for the tickets?
The whole clinic...2 days worth of instruction...is less than the tax (not even the cost) on a good scope. We're only covering our costs, $60 for all the instruction ($40 for range fees). If you check online you'll see that $70 is our standard price across the nation. I suggest you price out firearms classes. I don't know any other organization or shoot where for $100 you'll get 2 full days for instruction and many chances to win a rifle in addition to many other prizes. My previous post: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9&postcount=56

-Pete
Science without humanity
- Ghandi, Arun
Old 09-15-2011, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpete View Post
The whole clinic...2 days worth of instruction...is less than the tax (not even the cost) on a good scope. We're only covering our costs, $60 for all the instruction ($40 for range fees). If you check online you'll see that $70 is our standard price across the nation. I suggest you price out firearms classes. I don't know any other organization or shoot where for $100 you'll get 2 full days for instruction and many chances to win a rifle in addition to many other prizes. My previous post: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9&postcount=56

-Pete
Thanks Pete. You forgot to mention free camping for this event, no Forest Service fees. And with all these great prizes and pretty good chances to win somting this Appleseed event is a bargain.
Old 09-15-2011, 9:12 PM
Made in the USA

I hate to throw another question in the mix (and I'm sorry if it has been asked/answered, I looked and did not find)... will a spotting scope be necessary (or beneficial)?... I'm not sure what distance(s) we will be shooting from
Old 09-15-2011, 9:16 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDog333 View Post
Thanks Pete. You forgot to mention free camping for this event, no Forest Service fees. And with all these great prizes and pretty good chances to win somting this Appleseed event is a bargain.
plus time spent organizing - this thread alone has boatloads of administrative time from the good people organizing the event...
Old 09-16-2011, 12:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
I hate to throw another question in the mix (and I'm sorry if it has been asked/answered, I looked and did not find)... will a spotting scope be necessary (or beneficial)?... I'm not sure what distance(s) we will be shooting from
Not necessary but nice to have. We're shooting at 25 meters with scaled targets to simulate distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
plus time spent organizing - this thread alone has boatloads of administrative time from the good people organizing the event...
I'm not just the organizer...I'm also a client! [dating myself]

We're an all volunteer non-profit donating our time to others. Every Appleseed instructor was first an Appleseed student so I understand the concerns and question on both sides. I've also been on Calguns for years, lurking, trading and benefiting from the legal lessons. To me, Calguns has been a lighthouse on the hill safely leading me (and all California firearms owners) around the reefs and sandbars of gun laws. I come to Calguns to get answers...I'm just doing my part to give answers.

-Pete
Science without humanity
- Ghandi, Arun
Old 09-16-2011, 3:06 AM

Exclamation Anyone want to camp out for Corona 210?

I'm not sure anyone saw my other post since it was the last one on the previous page. I know it's last minute, but since my Dad threw his back out and none of my buddies can afford to go right now, I'll be attending my first Appleseed alone.

I have a family size tent big enough for 4 adults, a spare sleeping bag, and a spare Ruger 10/22 with a 1 1/4" GI sling. If anybody's interested send me a PM so we can plan somthing out. I've got plenty extra cooler space also.

I'll be checking all day for replies on my blackberry.

-Phil
Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Wait, I was going to leave at 6am to get there by 7am but I checked Event Brite and it says 830am start time? When should we get there to be safe?
Old 09-16-2011, 3:40 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpete View Post
Not necessary but nice to have. We're shooting at 25 meters with scaled targets to simulate distance.

I'm not just the organizer...I'm also a client! [dating myself]

We're an all volunteer non-profit donating our time to others. Every Appleseed instructor was first an Appleseed student so I understand the concerns and question on both sides. I've also been on Calguns for years, lurking, trading and benefiting from the legal lessons. To me, Calguns has been a lighthouse on the hill safely leading me (and all California firearms owners) around the reefs and sandbars of gun laws. I come to Calguns to get answers...I'm just doing my part to give answers.

-Pete
your efforts are appreciated! And even though you arent getting paid, your help is still part of the value of this event (imo).
Old 09-16-2011, 3:42 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Wait, I was going to leave at 6am to get there by 7am but I checked Event Brite and it says 830am start time? When should we get there to be safe?
I read somewhere that 8:00 is recommended... it stated that anything earlier will designate you as a volunteer (it was written as kidding, but I think it was to indicate not to arrive too early - that's the way I took it anyway)...
Old 09-16-2011, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. That saved me some time for sleeping.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:47 PM

I had a great time shooting this Sat. with Appleseed. I look forward to doing this again in the future. It was nice to meet the guy in the lane right next to me... His T-shirt had Kestryll on the back of it....

Last edited by tozan; 09-19-2011 at 7:42 AM..
Old 09-18-2011, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

I think I learned more in one day with Appleseed than I haver in a lot of other school and training days I have attended. To be honesty, I wasn't expecting too much because the premise seemed simple and focused more on instruction of history but even after the first quick lesson, I was improving. At the end of the day, I was shooting better all fatigued than I was fresh in the morning.

Now I can't wait to keep trying so I can get that rifleman's patch. It would look so good next to my zombie hunter patch!

Tozan, were you in yellow group?
Old 09-18-2011, 1:50 PM

Quote:
I think I learned more in one day with Appleseed than I haver in a lot of other school and training days I have attended. To be honesty, I wasn't expecting too much because the premise seemed simple and focused more on instruction of history but even after the first quick lesson, I was improving. At the end of the day, I was shooting better all fatigued than I was fresh in the morning.

Now I can't wait to keep trying so I can get that rifleman's patch. It would look so good next to my zombie hunter patch!

Tozan, were you in yellow group?
I was in Black first group left of the tower.
Old 09-18-2011, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

I ask because Kestryll was in our group, yellow.

Oh, very nice to meet you, Pete. You guys were great. All the Appleseed staff and instructors were top notch. Nobody had any attitude and everyone was friendly. I learned so much from everyone. I gotta give special props to 7.62, he put up with me all day. What a great guy.

The history lessons and reenactments were also top notch. I didn't sit around the tower but I listened in during the presentations. I am definitely recommending this to all my friends. My buddy who came with me is also going to spread the word to his company. (Ranger, not business company)
Old 09-18-2011, 6:08 PM
Made in the USA

+1 to a great staff and all around exceptional group of people!!! It's uncommon to find that kind of atmosphere in such a large gathering.

Chris (aka Freeman) is a really good guy in every sense - and very good instructor (Koolaid was very helpful too) - blue group.

Pete! Nice meeting you! Thanks for all your efforts!

Project Appleseed was a worthwhile event and I intend to attend future events... a strong suggestion for those that havent been (but intend to go) - make sure you are sighted in prior to showing up! You will save yourself a TON of time and frustration (depending on what sights/optics you use)... they teach a lot of material in short period of time so 100% of your shooting is focused on each stage of instruction (if you are like me and used to your routine at the range for getting on target - do it BEFORE you show up!)

The history, environment and overall atmosphere is awesome! BIG Thumbs up to Project Appleseed!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 6:57 PM

it was great shooting with you all! hope to see you all again at more shoots!
Old 09-18-2011, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Today or yesterday He was shooting on the lane to my right yesterday.
Old 09-18-2011, 8:27 PM

Many thanks to all who were part of putting together this Appleseed event. My main instructors were Dano and Scott (Team Green) and I couldn't have asked for better instruction both days. They were very helpful so many props to them, their effort, and the rest of the great Appleseed staff on hand. It was my first trip to an Appleseed event and after forgetting the things that I thought that I knew, I listened to Dano and Scotts advise. Only two qualifying targets were shot on Saturday and four today. I scored my Rifleman patch on my second four stage target on Saturday. I returned today and in the back of my mind I was telling myself that I needed to do it again to make sure that it wasn't a fluke. Well it wasn't a fluke as I was able to back it up today, but I definitely intend on returing to an Applesed event soon to work on what I was taught.
The only thing that was a bust for me this weekend was my raffle tickets, as I never win a damn thing. In addition it would have been great to have put faces to names here on Calguns, and to have also have met the Head Janitor (if he was actually there).
Many thanks guys!
Old 09-18-2011, 8:42 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tozan View Post
Today or yesterday He was shooting on the lane to my right yesterday.
Saturday I was in Black, today I was in Blue.
I was never in the Yellow group this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg29 View Post
and to have also have met the Head Janitor (if he was actually there).
I was there both days, this afternoon I would have been easy to spot, I was the guy walking around with pennys dad looking for some guy names 'dg29'..
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.
Old 09-18-2011, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg29 View Post
. In addition it would have been great to have put faces to names here on Calguns,
I agree, I wish I could have met more of the Calgun folks that went. As for me, I am Matt from (orange flight) that scored Rifleman today on the second to last AQT and missed doing it again by 1 point on the last one of the day

I had a GREAT time. As for everyone I met at Appleseed this weekend, I don't think one could find a FINER group of folks anywhere. I felt very 'At Home'. The instructors are absolutely top notch and very passionate. Unbelievable considering they are all volunteers! I admire the heck out of them!

Man I feel worked! I am off to get some well needed rest.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msteel View Post
I agree, I wish I could have met more of the Calgun folks that went. As for me, I am Matt from (orange flight) that scored Rifleman today on the second to last AQT and missed doing it again by 1 point on the last one of the day

I had a GREAT time. As for everyone I met at Appleseed this weekend, I don't think one could find a FINER group of folks anywhere. I felt very 'At Home'. The instructors are absolutely top notch and very passionate. Unbelievable considering they are all volunteers! I admire the heck out of them!

Congrats!
Old 09-18-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msteel View Post

I had my calguns forum name below my name on the name tags all weekend. I would suggest that Appleseed and CalGuns let people put their forum name also if they want to find online buddies and don't mind not staying annomyous.

Thanks for the loaner LTR Pete, nice to meet you.
Old 09-19-2011, 1:01 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, Kestryll, someone in my group said you were in our group. I was all the way to the left in yellow so I didn't get to check in person.

Seriously next time we need to plan on getting together beforehand and asking to be put in one group. Would have been pretty cool to meet y'all in person.
Old 09-19-2011, 8:24 AM

My son and I were in yellow flight and benefitted so much even though we could only attend one day. At the end of the day my boy had improved so much he really wants to go back and get that badge!

I am very grateful for the instructors helping my son Jordan and I. It was only Jordan's 2nd time shooting the 10/22 and his 1st time was a week ago for a quick familiarization and zero. I was struggling to help him get prep for the stages and watch his safety and then get myself prepped and in the bubble before the stages start!

Steve 7.62 helped very much with this... and Kent's knowledge, demos,teaching and professionallism was admirable.

I learned I need to fit a stock to my son as the carbine stock is just too big I wish he'd grow.. And it's really hard to help my child and also prep myself in 2 minutes without steaming up my shooting glasses. When I take my twins I will sit out!
I have alot of dryfire to do as I could only manage 150 at the end of first day. Jordan got almost all 3 in the 400 yard target at the end of day and improved so much! Oh and I won the raffle for an LTR which is perfect because I have 3 kids that can all go on the line at the same time in the future!!!

Thank you very much!!
Old 09-19-2011, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Dude, I was the guy next to your son shooting the AR. Your kid is a natural, but yeah, he would definitely benefit from the 10/22 youth model. I think he was beating all of us!

The Olympic trials are underway, get him started!
Old 09-19-2011, 9:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hey All,

It was a gigantic pleasure putting this event on. I thank everybody at CalGuns who helped out, not just Penny's Dad who worked promotions like a machine, but all the attendees also!

I have a couple of things to say:
1) Give us your feedback! I can't say that enough. We can only make things better if we know what did and didn't work for you. Don't be afraid to speak up or even post it in this thread.

At Appleseed events I stress the notion of, "Community". Just like rifle safety, we're all just trying to protect ourselves and each other. Nobody should be worried about telling the guy next to them to keep their muzzle in a safe direction, nor should anybody take offense at being told to, "watch your muzzle". Ego and hurt feelings versus great bodily harm and/or death...which is more important? Same thing here...give us honest feedback so we can make things better.

2) Take advantage of every opportunity. If you paid for a full weekend for $20 more you can pick up a Rifleman Opportunity Card (ROC) that would waive our instruction fees (you still have range fees) at any event in the nation for 1 year or until you hit a rifleman's score. Also be sure to pick up CMP certificates...even if you never plan to use them you might as well be prepared.

If you forgot to pick up any of these things at the event let me know and I'll make sure you get them.

3) Go to another Appleseed and take a friend. This is the 7th step to taking the shot...teaching others how to shoot. If the crowds were too much go to one of your local Appleseeds or Ladyseeds. Each Appleseed instructor can shoot that Rifleman's score consistently. In addition each Instructor went through a minimum 120 hours of apprenticeship to learn how to teach. Many women have hit their expert score, did the apprenticeship and did further work to become a "Shoot Boss" meaning they could host their own events. A Ladyseed is a female only (children, young ladies and women) event by Riflewomen for Riflewomen. The next Ladyseed is in Nov 26-27 at Glen Helen.

4) Be an American Make a difference in this world with the freedom you have. I volunteer with Appleseed and wish you would join us. Even if you don't, go back to your communities and make a difference. Know your neighbors, help your friends and family. If everybody worked to make this world a better place it would be a better place.

Our Posterity calls to us, what will it say about you?

Thank you all for making this one of the greatest Appleseeds in California history...the first of many.

Sincerely,
-Peter (AKA Mr Pete, ironpete)
Science without humanity
- Ghandi, Arun
Old 09-19-2011, 9:26 AM
Veteran Member

I really don't have any complainers other than that I could do without the dust all over the car and the equipment. Then again, that's how it is with the gun ranges here. Everyone is top notch at Appleseed. I can't think of anything that could be done better.

I only managed to bring one friend. The rest missed out. Tool bad for them. But we will get together this week and I am sure we will rave about it and make the rest jealous.

My proudest moment was taking that last shot of the day at the 250m simulated headshot on the redcoat. I was tired, sore, trigger finger had no strength left, sun was in my eyes, dirty, dusty, using a non-magnification EoTech (1 MOA dot), and placing that round within 2mm of dead center on that little square!

Btw, my "formal" long distance rifle training consists of being handed a patrol carbine and being told, go put rounds on target. We are pretty much expected to keep engagements close range and leave the long distance stuff to the marksmen. I have not taken shots on target past 50 yards on a modified B-27 and only had to keep it in the grey box, or 12" across.

If that is not testament to the training, I don't know what is!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We had a great time and learned a lot about our equipment! (Note -- RH bolt guns don't work all that well for LH shooters! LOL!) I did manage a 155 with the iron sighted RH bolt gun though!

Just could never get all my rounds off during the timed stages...

Can't wait to get back; even my wife (who had to be bribed into attending) had fun and wants to go again! That's definitely a win!

Thanks to all who worked to put this great event on!

Mark
Old 09-19-2011, 6:16 PM
CGSSA President

This looked incredible! I got to swing by late on both days after work and it looked like tons of fun.
What an awesome line and volley.
Thank you to Calguns, CRPA and Turners for the awesome raffle items and helping this shot happen.
4 teams with a common mission, tons of shooters and lots of fun, seems like a win to me!

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”