Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 5:23 PM
Veteran Member

I saw a concern raised on another thread regarding something else and it made me question the following. When I purchase a handgun at Turners, am I buying the gun that I handle behind the counter or is a new one being sent from a warehouse? The reason I ask is, I would hate to find out that the gun I just spent a lot of money on is still being used as a display. Can you confirm?

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 07-26-2011, 5:24 PM

Do the employees earn a commission on sales?

I like to give [a certain employee] my business, because of [his] excellent customer service. But if we talk about a certain firearm, then I come back and purchase it from another employee - I feel guilty that the guy who did the work, didn't get the sale. Am I over-thinking this?

Thanks for helping me (safely) practice the 2A Rights!
Old 07-26-2011, 9:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
I saw a concern raised on another thread regarding something else and it made me question the following. When I purchase a handgun at Turners, am I buying the gun that I handle behind the counter or is a new one being sent from a warehouse? The reason I ask is, I would hate to find out that the gun I just spent a lot of money on is still being used as a display. Can you confirm?
Frequently, we have the gun in stock in our warehouse or we may have the gun (non-display) in stock in another store. Either of those guns will be shipped to the store and held for you once you've left us a deposit (full or layaway.)

On occasion though, you may be buying the actual display gun from the store you're in or a display gun that is coming from another store. In either case, the gun is boxed and held for you just like those that have never been on display. If all the guns of a given model are on layaway, we'll go without an display until we have new stock. Customer layaway guns are not used for display.

18 Stores Located throughout SoCal
Oxnard | Reseda | Pasadena | West Covina
Torrance | Signal Hill | Fountain Valley
Norwalk | Orange | Chino Hills | Victorville
Rancho Cucamonga | San Bernardino | Corona
Temecula | San Marcos | Kearny Mesa
El Cajon | Lake Forest (Coming Soon)

Store Location Info

Shop online at www.turners.com

Holiday Flyer Sale and Black Friday Specials | Our Weekly Ad | Current Closeout Firearm List
Old 07-26-2011, 9:53 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT View Post
Do the employees earn a commission on sales?

I like to give [a certain employee] my business, because of [his] excellent customer service. But if we talk about a certain firearm, then I come back and purchase it from another employee - I feel guilty that the guy who did the work, didn't get the sale. Am I over-thinking this?

Thanks for helping me (safely) practice the 2A Rights!
While our sales staff is not on commission, they have a variety of sales incentives and additional earning opportunities available to them. We have in-store policies in order to credit those sales associates who have earned your business. In the case you describe, make sure you let sales staff know who that is, so that they receive proper credit.

Thank you.

Store Location Info

Holiday Flyer Sale and Black Friday Specials | Our Weekly Ad | Current Closeout Firearm List
Old 07-28-2011, 6:04 PM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

A few things.

In my opinion, Win USA and Rem UMC seem to be among the most popular brands for plinking and/or target shooting, so why aren't your shelves ever stocked with it? You guys are losing tons of sales to Walmart and Big5 Sporting Goods.

Since Turners is local, I used to simply stop by the store, but after being disappointed time and time again, I started calling instead, but after the continued disappointment, these days, I simply shop elsewhere, and complete stear clear of Turners. Admittedly, after swearing not to, I called today and spoke to Chris, and got the usual disappointment in reference to Rem UMC.

"Nope, we don't have it" is the general response, but if they ever followed that statement with when they expect to have what I asked for back on the shelf, I'd certainly come back. What ever happened to earning a customers business, and making sure they come back?

Also, despite what someone said earlier, the employees at the Reseda location are anything but friendly, and lack any sort of enthusiam about making a sale, showing a gun, selling a gun, etc. In short, they all seem to be typical payroll employee's that are watching the clock, and would obviously rather be doing other things.

I understand that Turners in a chain, and not a traditional Mom and Pop gun store, but hire some enthusiastic employees that actually know and understand the meaning of customer service.

Last edited by Press Check; 07-28-2011 at 6:14 PM..
Old 07-28-2011, 6:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner's Outdoorsman View Post
Frequently, we have the gun in stock in our warehouse or we may have the gun (non-display) in stock in another store. Either of those guns will be shipped to the store and held for you once you've left us a deposit (full or layaway.)

On occasion though, you may be buying the actual display gun from the store you're in or a display gun that is coming from another store. In either case, the gun is boxed and held for you just like those that have never been on display. If all the guns of a given model are on layaway, we'll go without an display until we have new stock. Customer layaway guns are not used for display.

So would the salesperson tell me whether I'm getting a display?

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 07-28-2011, 7:19 PM

Quote:
While our sales staff is not on commission, they have a variety of sales incentives and additional earning opportunities available to them. We have in-store policies in order to credit those sales associates who have earned your business. In the case you describe, make sure you let sales staff know who that is, so that they receive proper credit.

Thank you.
Perfect. Thanks for the informative reply!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:46 PM

I like going into Turners and have bought a firearm there but I usually do not find what I am looking for.
I would like to see better availability of the following:

* Ammunition. Mainly slugs and defensive ammo. I have not been able to buy slugs at Turners at all. The defensive handgun ammo is bare too. I only found a single box of hydra-shoks the last time I went. (Pasadena)

* Flow chart friendly auto loading rifles.
M1a, Kel-Tec SU-16, Mini-14, Mini-Thirty

* Magazines. The Pasadena location has a very limited selection of magazines for pistols and rifles.

* Tactical lights. I only find a small selection of surefire lights at Turners. It would be nice to have more choices like streamlight.

N.I.C.S. = Nix

Full Definition of Nix
: veto, reject <the court nixed the merger>

Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 PM

Will Turners do FFL transfers? I asked about it in November 2009 at the southbay location and was told that they will not do FFL transfers and if they did the charge would be $200.

N.I.C.S. = Nix

Full Definition of Nix
: veto, reject <the court nixed the merger>

Old 07-30-2011, 7:52 PM

Thank you for entertaining this forum. I am sure you are gaining many new customers by being so receptive to questions.
I would like to see a 90 day layaway program set up as well. That is something many gunshops don't, have so you could easily "one up" the competition in that respect. I understand holding a firearm for three months has disadvantages for the store as well but I can say for sure that I would by more guns in the long run. I can hide $300 a month from my wife much easier than $1000 or so...
Thanks again for responding to the questions in this forum. Its interesting to see the negative threads about customer service. I have never had a bad experience in the stores. I am in sales, so I see both sides very well, and customers always voice the negative so I am sure you take that with a grain of salt.
When there is a long line studies have shown that if a customer can "take a number" from one of those things like a deli it will make the wait seem less because there is an end in sight.
anyway thanks for listening.
Old 07-30-2011, 9:11 PM

When the counter is busy, I'd like to see a ticket system implemented. Otherwise it's difficult to know who's next.
Old 07-31-2011, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoglog View Post
When the counter is busy, I'd like to see a ticket system implemented. Otherwise it's difficult to know who's next.
I agree.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal44 View Post
I agree.
+2 (works well at Ammo Bros)...

I know there's no way to do this next suggestion (wish there was though)... skip over the looky-loos that spend 15 or more minutes asking questions and handling multiple guns when you know damn well they arent going to buy anything ...

I stood at counter for 20 or more minutes waiting to buy some HD ammo a while back while the knucklehead next to me wanted to see this, then that, then the other and ended up with a $1500 revolver in his hand that he admittedly couldnt afford... WTF, let me buy my stuff then deal with the guy that has no money.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:38 PM

Do you guys have any plans to upgrade your current website? It would sure be nice to browse all of your products online before burning any gas. Your selection and prices usually make a trip to your San Marcos store worthwhile. I could justify the trip even more if I knew that you had a particular product in stock and how big of a wallet to bring.

I realize how difficult this could be and how much time it could take. There may even be the issue of your various stores stocking different products. I imagine there are plenty of other Calgunners who feel the same.
Old 08-01-2011, 3:12 PM

Quote:
They had this at the Reseda store but discontinued it. I didn't much like it at the time but once it was gone I missed it because with 10 people hanging around it is impossible to maintain the correct order.

As much as I never thought I would say it, I would like to have the numbers back again.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker411 View Post
I can hide $300 a month from my wife much easier than $1000 or so...
^^^^This^^^^^^^^
Member #46312
Old 08-01-2011, 6:36 PM

I would like to see a little better customer service at the new south bay turners. I walked in an the girl at the front didn't greet me. The young guy at the gun counter didn't greet me or even say a word to me as I'm standing there waiting for the lady to finish her questions. Even though ge walked pass me 4 times. I wasn't greeted by 3 employees when I was there for the 45 minutes. The older guy that actually worked at the old location was the only one that talked to me or asked if I've been helped. Very very poor customer service on the 3 employees. On the way out the girl at the front counter mumbled to come back. An I simply told her I will rather take the drive to the signal hill turners. Even though I live 10 minutes from the new one on hawthrone. I still visit an buy but not from the new location unroll the service is changed.
Old 08-02-2011, 3:05 PM

Default RE: Firearm defects

I just put in my DROS for a WASR AK that was on sale in your ad and the sales rep marked on the receipt that they would be pulling inventory from the Warehouse for my purchase. Knowing that Century Arms inst the best manufacturer of firearms I have a concern that the AK I just purchased may contain a defect(s) that I would have not been able to visually confirm while in store during the purchase.

My questions relating to that are...

1. Does Turners do any Quality inspections prior to selling arms?

and

2. Hypothetically If I find a MAJOR defect before I leave with the store with the firearm would I be able to exchange it? (EG: Bent Barrrel?)
Old 08-02-2011, 3:26 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCOM1 View Post
A few things.

Admittedly, after swearing not to, I called today and spoke to Chris, and got the usual disappointment in reference to Rem UMC...

....I understand that Turners in a chain, and not a traditional Mom and Pop gun store, but hire some enthusiastic employees that actually know and understand the meaning of customer service.
We totally agree with you on our folks needing to have the right attitude and outlook.

As for UMC, we have it on order year around and Remington has been shipping most calibers well except for .45. In fact, 9MM is on ad right now and .40 is on our Weds e-mail blast.

Store Location Info

Old 08-02-2011, 3:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
So would the salesperson tell me whether I'm getting a display?
Yes, especially so that you can make sure that it looks good. Occasionally, a display gun will have some shelf wear and we will discount those a bit if you're interested in buying the actual display gun.

Store Location Info

Old 08-02-2011, 3:44 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get3CoffinsReady View Post
I like going into Turners and have bought a firearm there but I usually do not find what I am looking for.
I would like to see better availability of the following:

* Ammunition. Mainly slugs and defensive ammo. I have not been able to buy slugs at Turners at all. The defensive handgun ammo is bare too. I only found a single box of hydra-shoks the last time I went. (Pasadena)

* Flow chart friendly auto loading rifles.
M1a, Kel-Tec SU-16, Mini-14, Mini-Thirty

* Magazines. The Pasadena location has a very limited selection of magazines for pistols and rifles.

* Tactical lights. I only find a small selection of surefire lights at Turners. It would be nice to have more choices like streamlight.
Hydra-shok has been spotty in all calibers for some time; slugs, too.

Kel-tec is slow to ship but they have really slowed in sales vs. AR platform guns. Mini's are coming to us every week and moving as fast as we get them. M1A's come in a few at a time and disappear pretty quickly, too.

We'll pass your thoughts about lights on to our buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get3CoffinsReady View Post
Will Turners do FFL transfers? I asked about it in November 2009 at the southbay location and was told that they will not do FFL transfers and if they did the charge would be $200.
As we mentioned earlier, over the last 20 years, we've moved up and down on FFL transfer prices for a number of reasons. As it has become increasingly interesting (and expensive) to do business in CA, our transfer fees have gone up.

Today, we've focused our firearm business on the sale of new/used/consigned guns in our retail stores. Conducting transfers for guns sold outside of our stores is not our primary focus but moreover conducting those transfers cost us as much as the guns that are sold in our stores but just without the benefit of us being the primary seller.

By the way, we charge reduced fees for some types of transfers (LEO, military, industry partners and industry media, amongst others) and we charge no fees for transfers of guns sold/raffled/won at NRA/CRPA/DU/CWA/RMEF/SCI, etc. dinners and events.

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it.

Store Location Info

Old 08-02-2011, 3:50 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryker411 View Post
When there is a long line studies have shown that if a customer can "take a number" from one of those things like a deli it will make the wait seem less because there is an end in sight.
anyway thanks for listening.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1950 View Post

As much as I never thought I would say it, I would like to have the numbers back again.

Thanks
It looks like we need to visit this subject again. We, too, hated the thought of being treated "like a number", yet this would resolve some of the PPT issues, some of the "looky-loo" issues and the "line hopping" that can occur. And, to be honest, it may help keep some of the newer employees on track so that folks don't get the impression of being ignored.

We'll talk this one over and get back to you all.

Store Location Info

Old 08-02-2011, 3:55 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Machine View Post
Do you guys have any plans to upgrade your current website? It would sure be nice to browse all of your products online before burning any gas. Your selection and prices usually make a trip to your San Marcos store worthwhile. I could justify the trip even more if I knew that you had a particular product in stock and how big of a wallet to bring.

I realize how difficult this could be and how much time it could take. There may even be the issue of your various stores stocking different products. I imagine there are plenty of other Calgunners who feel the same.
Yes!

Later this year, our website will be overhauled and we'll add a true online store at the same time. It will let our local customers see what we have, while allowing folks out of the area to buy online.

Store Location Info

Old 08-02-2011, 3:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I would like to see a little better customer service at the new south bay turners. I walked in an the girl at the front didn't greet me. The young guy at the gun counter didn't greet me or even say a word to me as I'm standing there waiting for the lady to finish her questions. Even though ge walked pass me 4 times. I wasn't greeted by 3 employees when I was there for the 45 minutes. The older guy that actually worked at the old location was the only one that talked to me or asked if I've been helped. Very very poor customer service on the 3 employees. On the way out the girl at the front counter mumbled to come back. An I simply told her I will rather take the drive to the signal hill turners. Even though I live 10 minutes from the new one on hawthrone. I still visit an buy but not from the new location unroll the service is changed.
Thanks for the heads up; PM sent.

Store Location Info

Old 08-02-2011, 4:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtK View Post
I just put in my DROS for a WASR AK that was on sale in your ad and the sales rep marked on the receipt that they would be pulling inventory from the Warehouse for my purchase. Knowing that Century Arms inst the best manufacturer of firearms I have a concern that the AK I just purchased may contain a defect(s) that I would have not been able to visually confirm while in store during the purchase.

My questions relating to that are...

1. Does Turners do any Quality inspections prior to selling arms?

and

2. Hypothetically If I find a MAJOR defect before I leave with the store with the firearm would I be able to exchange it? (EG: Bent Barrrel?)
Yes and yes. We want you to be happy with the rifle you take home, so make sure that everything is up to par and to your liking.

Store Location Info

Old 08-02-2011, 9:57 PM

I bought my wasr (single stack) a month ago the same day the Torrance location opened and i just have a problem with the spare mag fitting tight and not locking. Is this an issue i have to do with century arms or can you help. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2011, 9:59 PM

Sorry if it has been asked but, when is the GSG 1911 .22lr going to be in your Fountain Valley store?
Will the first shipment that you guys get cover all of the preorders that the store has recieved?
Old 08-03-2011, 4:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFF View Post
I bought my wasr (single stack) a month ago the same day the Torrance location opened and i just have a problem with the spare mag fitting tight and not locking. Is this an issue i have to do with century arms or can you help. Thanks.
We can handle that; PM sent.

Store Location Info

Old 08-03-2011, 4:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz45099 View Post
Sorry if it has been asked but, when is the GSG 1911 .22lr going to be in your Fountain Valley store?
Will the first shipment that you guys get cover all of the preorders that the store has recieved?
We'll get an update and let you know on both counts.
Thanks.

Store Location Info

Old 08-03-2011, 4:48 PM

I haven't been to Turners in a couple of years after a bad experience at Chino Hills ( I was charged the $35 on a PPT on the front AND back of a deal, didn't have my receipt with my DROS paperwork, and had to pay the fee again on pickup or they wouldn't turn my gun loose. So I paid $70 in fees on a $100 Lorcin, and got called a liar by the manager for my trouble)

However I'm pleasantly surprised to see the feedback / participation at CGN here, and may give you folks another shot at my local (West Covina) store. As other posters have mentioned, premium ammo can really be an issue at various Turners locations. Hydra's and DPX are a bit like hens teeth behind the counter.
Old 08-06-2011, 2:53 AM
Veteran Member

Can we get a better add next week? Seems to be a lot of the same stuff such as P1, shotguns,same ammo on sale, more shotguns, same safe's, more shotguns etc...

I am hopeing next week it will be better. Variety! Lever actions non puma/Rossi, 10/22, Glocks with prices and non RTF,Ruger, H&k, Sig and M&P handguns.

"I'm damned glad to be here..." George Patton

Last edited by Napalm Bulldog; 08-06-2011 at 2:58 AM..
Old 08-06-2011, 2:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abulldog4me View Post
Can we get a better add next week? Seems to be a lot of the same stuff such as P1, shotguns,same ammo on sale, more shotguns, same safe's, more shotguns etc...

I am hopeing next week it will be better. Variety! Lever actions non puma/Rossi, 10/22, Glocks with prices and non RTF,Ruger, H&k, Sig and M&P handguns.
Our Fall Flyer begins on Friday! They're beginning to show up in mailboxes today. At 40 pages, it is our biggest Fall Flyer ever:

Marlin Levers? Yep! Plus Rossi and Puma, too.
10/22's? Yep! 4 different models to choose from
Glocks- Yep! 17, 19, 21, 21 SF, 22, 23, 26, 27.
Ruger, Sig, S&W? Yep! Pistols, Revolvers, Carbines and Rifles.

Plus LMT, Daniel Defense, Springfield, Kimber, Benelli, Beretta, etc.
19 pages in all for Guns!

And yes, because hunting season is around the corner, we've got more shotguns and safes, plus ammo, optics, knives, etc. but not P-1's...

Store Location Info

Old 08-06-2011, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Our Fall Flyer begins on Friday! They're beginning to show up in mailboxes today. At 40 pages, it is our biggest Fall Flyer ever:

And yes, because hunting season is around the corner, we've got more shotguns and safes, plus ammo, optics, knives, etc. but not P-1's...
Awesome reply and thank you.
Look forward to getting the new flyer. Also I cant seem to get on the list for these no matter what I do as to signing up on the website. Are they available in store?

"I'm damned glad to be here..." George Patton

Last edited by Napalm Bulldog; 08-06-2011 at 6:16 PM..
Old 08-08-2011, 7:11 PM

How much would it be to do two handgun PPT's at once? excluding lock purchase and tax etc. Thanks!

Solidworks drafting
Old 08-08-2011, 7:21 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

got my Fall Flyer/catalog today... haven't looked through it yet, but I look forward to it

Something tells me the "I'm done buying stuff for now" idea just isnt gonna stick
Old 08-08-2011, 8:56 PM

Are their any circumstances where a customer would be granted a layaway extension? I am set to undergo emergency surgery August 19th. I am experiencing pain in my neck and jaw area. All four of my wisdom teeth must be extracted. I have two firearms on layaway at the Norwalk store. It just so happens, August 19th and the 21st are my final layaway dates. The money I set aside to pay off my two layways must be used for my emergency surgery.
I don't want to lose my firearms that I am so close to paying off. Any reply is appreciated thanks.

Last edited by Chuckster31; 08-09-2011 at 3:59 AM.. Reason: Grammer
Old 08-08-2011, 10:23 PM

I dont know if this has been brought up or not but i hate your website!
Can you please add your fire arms inventory to the site.
I cant tell you how many times I go straight to riflegear just because I can see what they have and what the price is, even though they are far away from me.
I would even be happy with an overview of what you have regardless of location or stock count.
Old 08-09-2011, 6:20 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaer5 View Post
I dont know if this has been brought up or not but i hate your website!
Can you please add your fire arms inventory to the site.
I cant tell you how many times I go straight to riflegear just because I can see what they have and what the price is, even though they are far away from me.
I would even be happy with an overview of what you have regardless of location or stock count.

Quote:
Yes!

Later this year, our website will be overhauled and we'll add a true online store at the same time. It will let our local customers see what we have, while allowing folks out of the area to buy online.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM

Can a deposit for a firearm be "transferred" to a different firearm if no serial number was available at the time the deposit was made?

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Turners, are you guys going to bring back Mossberg 801 bolt action Half-Pint Plinkster, you have it on sale earily this year ?