Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Few things i'd like to ask

First off welcome and thanks for sponsoring a great site, i no longer shop at Turners do to a few things but i would love to support you guys again as you have some great deals.

so just a few things

Is their any plans to have those that sale firearms go through more training?

Are there any plans to stop taking down serial numbers when i bring in a firearm and if not can i be told why my SN is taken down and who has access to it and how long is that paperwork kept?

Any chance you'll do a friendly PPT program?
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 07-01-2011, 4:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Default Yes, Yes and Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
First off welcome and thanks for sponsoring a great site, i no longer shop at Turners do to a few things but i would love to support you guys again as you have some great deals.

so just a few things

Is their any plans to have those that sale firearms go through more training?

Are there any plans to stop taking down serial numbers when i bring in a firearm and if not can i be told why my SN is taken down and who has access to it and how long is that paperwork kept?

Any chance you'll do a friendly PPT program?
Your questions are fair, to the point and timely.

Prior to the sale of the company in 2005, we'd put our employees through 6-8 hands-on shooting and product seminars a year. Now that Gene Lumsden is back, we are back on track to get that done. LMT was out a few weeks back and ran our employees through their awesome rifle line. In the week after next, about 50 of our employees will spend time out at Prado running through a day of IDPA, trap and skeet. Management training is back on track as well for our store managers and assistant managers.

As for recording the serial numbers of incoming PPT's, consignments, used guns, guns brought in for scope mounting, etc., we can modify that as well. As you understand, the primary reason for check-in at the door is so that we can avoid any safety issues. The serial number was recorded along with basic description info and your name as a way to document that the check-in was done. We'll talk it over, but I think we can achieve the same things without you feeling that we're compromising any info regarding the serial number on guns that you aren't selling or consigning.

And lastly, YES, we are going to get on track with making PPT's a much more pleasant experience. As part of the commitment to rebuilding Turner's, we are implementing a new POS system in the next 60 days. It will completely streamline the amount of time it takes to do all transactions, including PPT's. Additionally, we'll be working with our management and sales staff on the pure service issue of making these transactions easier.

And as we move forward, we have some ideas for Calguns.net members with regards to special promotions on PPT's.

Thanks for bringing these questions to us; we'd like to have you back shopping with us in the future
Old 07-01-2011, 4:57 PM

Great response IMO. I haven't been back to a Turners in 21 years, since I purchased my first pistol from them when I was 21 years old. I'm looking forward to seeing positive, customer-oriented changes.
Old 07-01-2011, 5:03 PM
In Memoriam

I need a definition of POS............can't be what I think.
Old 07-01-2011, 5:11 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Default Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
As for the system we are replacing, I can think of two
Old 07-01-2011, 5:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Point of sale!

"I'm damned glad to be here..." George Patton

Last edited by Napalm Bulldog; 07-01-2011 at 5:35 PM..
Old 07-01-2011, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

@Bill
After reading your response it sounds like I could be back at Turners soon, i'll give it a bit of time to get everything in order and give you guys a test drive again.

@Bulldog
post away buddy, i was the first to post a thread cause i knew a lot of us have had "things" to say about Turners and thought it best to get the answers from the company itself.

ps
i thought they still had lawaway
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 07-01-2011, 6:11 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Overall, my experiences at Turner's have been good and I continue to buy (4 handguns in the last 5 months)... However, one issue that has always bugged me, and it's not unique to Turner's, it is a common problem with many "gun shop employees" and firearms instructors.

FUD.

"Magazines cannot be transported loaded."
"Ammo must be physically separate from the gun."
"The gun must be in the trunk and the ammo must be in it's own locked container in the passenger compartment."
"The trigger lock must be installed for transport within the locked container."

I have heard all of these and more from the two gentlemen who conduct the safe handling demonstrations at the Chino Hills location.

The law for the safe handling demonstration covers the physical demonstration. It does not require the 15 minute "class"... 75% of which is made-up laws that date back to before Turner's existed.

Please go through the "lecture" and square it away with the actual laws of PC12025, 12026, and 12031.

I don't have a problem with employees attempting to educate new gun owners. It's a great idea... but when the employee is providing information that is not true and goes beyond the actual law, it is possible for things to go sideways. On my wife's lecture about 18 months ago, she was told that the child-safe lock was sufficient for transportation without a locking container.

OTOH, for those of us who have owned guns for many years, why do we have to sit through the "class"? It should be apparent to the employee by watching us perform the safe handling demonstration that we are already gun owners, and most likely already know the laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-01-2011, 6:50 PM

One suggestion. Ditch the $5 storage fee. I'd rather you hike up the price of the firearm $5 than get an unpleasant surprise come paperwork time. I just walk away thinking about how I just payed another fee at Turners No matter how small it might be.
Old 07-01-2011, 7:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Cokebottle-

We agree. We all expect folks working behind the counter in any gun store to know their stuff and to be able to properly answer questions asked by newbies while understanding that folks like yourself know these things. And you nailed the answer- it's training. Over the last few years the retail side of our business trumped the practical day-to-day knowledge. We're working on this one, too, so that we can be informative but not condescending but most of all we can be correct.

Drifts-

I've been here for nearly 20 years and we've been all over the map on the "dealer handling" fee. I know we're not alone in charging it, yet we completely understand where you're coming from. I'll be honest, this is something we have to discuss as a team; I'll get back to you.
Old 07-02-2011, 6:23 AM

In part I can't help feeling that you are here because of the power of calguns in the firearms community. The negative feedback from here has had to get some attention from the higher up's at Turners.

I can only see this as a positive. We need a large retailer like Turners to be supportive of 2A rights. Not spreading BS and turning away potential new gun owners with their attitude. I have never been treated poorly with the exception being ignored while browsing. They seemed to be happy I wasn't bothering them and never took the time to engage me. I have personally seen customers treated in a condescending, insulting tone and manner on several occasions over the years.

The fact is that many new gun buyers are very intimidated by the process, some will come in several times just to look and never ask a question. Others, knowing nothing will act the fool seeming to know everything. They all need the same professional, respectful treatment. And this is the most important thing, no BS. If you have people engaging the public spewing false information with a condescending attitude, all you will do is drive people away and help to destroy the 2A.

Best of luck!

Meyer Auto Service - Hesperia, CA
Old 07-03-2011, 12:19 PM

First of all welcome to Calguns.
I must say I am very surprised and happy about all of this. I had been turned off to Turners in the past and tried to not do business with them anymore. But after seeing you guys become a sponsor, and now how receptive you are to feedback from us I think I must reconsider. It looks like you guys are heading in the right direction finally.
I guess I gotta go check out the new Torrance store in light of all this. I have been looking at buying a 870 tactical - maybe ill buy it from you guys after all.
Old 07-03-2011, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

I bought some ammo on the calguns deal today... most of the employees had no clue what I was talking about, but fortunately one did. A decent deal, but I figured I'd give you guys a little bit of business for trying

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2011, 8:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I am very impressed. For Turners to come here in a dignified manner such as this is a step in the right direction and it pleases me.

I have loved Turners for over 20 years it seems, since I was a little lad. As of late though, the customer service has been lacking in my area (Fountain Valley Huntington Beach). It seemed more inexperienced gum chewing sales associates who were fresh out of high school and lacked respect were staffing Turners. I was turned off and began conducting my business elsewhere.

The fact is is that I really like Turners and because of your move to come to CG and represent yourself in this manner I will stop by Turners again. All I ask is that you adress the knowledge and maturity level of your employees.

Also, I would like to know if in the future you would be buying/consigning/selling OLL's and other similar CA legal rifle builds with BB detachable CA legal mags.Thank You.

M

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.

Last edited by blazeaglory; 07-03-2011 at 9:33 PM..
Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny1 View Post
In part I can't help feeling that you are here because of the power of calguns in the firearms community. The negative feedback from here has had to get some attention from the higher up's at Turners.

I can only see this as a positive. We need a large retailer like Turners to be supportive of 2A rights. Not spreading BS and turning away potential new gun owners with their attitude. I have never been treated poorly with the exception being ignored while browsing. They seemed to be happy I wasn't bothering them and never took the time to engage me. I have personally seen customers treated in a condescending, insulting tone and manner on several occasions over the years.

The fact is that many new gun buyers are very intimidated by the process, some will come in several times just to look and never ask a question. Others, knowing nothing will act the fool seeming to know everything. They all need the same professional, respectful treatment. And this is the most important thing, no BS. If you have people engaging the public spewing false information with a condescending attitude, all you will do is drive people away and help to destroy the 2A.

Best of luck!
You're spot on with all of your comments.

Any dealer, ourselves included, is extremely fortunate to be involved with Calugns. As we stated in our first post, Calguns members have no equal with regards to knowledge and enthusiasm.

And we need to offer you a shopping environment where you'll enjoy trading your hard-earned money for great gear. Your feedback is huge and we will continue to address the issues that prevent that from happening.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 PM

The service level has been inconsistent from store to store, some good, some not as good. But it looks like you are addressing that and putting a new POS system has to help free up some time for the salespeople to actually help customers.

Welcome to CalGuns. You are my favorite outdoors store and we in Southern California are very lucky to have you.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Bought two firearms from Brad in the Orange store - Good guy...
Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Just how many Turners stores are they, and any plans to open in the bay area.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleship View Post
Just how many Turners stores are they, and any plans to open in the bay area.
We have 14 stores located throughout Southern California. We are currently discussing our plans for 2012 with regards to our next store openings.

While some additional locations within SoCal are the likely frontrunners for expansion, we are discussing opportunities north of L.A.

Stay tuned....

18 Stores Located throughout SoCal
Oxnard | Reseda | Pasadena | West Covina
Torrance | Signal Hill | Fountain Valley
Norwalk | Orange | Chino Hills | Victorville
Rancho Cucamonga | San Bernardino | Corona
Temecula | San Marcos | Kearny Mesa
El Cajon | Lake Forest Now Open

Store Location Info

Shop online at www.turners.com

Our Weekly Ad |
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Pre-Banned

I won't let you forget There is a lot of this state that could use a Turners!
NRA Life Member

Old 07-08-2011, 2:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Opening a turners up in my area would be a smart move.
Old 07-08-2011, 2:50 PM

I'm interested in one of the firearms on your special this week but I'm a bit weary due to all the problems it had. You can find the thread here...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=321860

Have you resolved the problems with the Sig Pros? Or are the ones on sale from the same batch? Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 2:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRain17 View Post
I'm interested in one of the firearms on your special this week but I'm a bit weary due to all the problems it had. You can find the thread here...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=321860

Have you resolved the problems with the Sig Pros? Or are the ones on sale from the same batch? Thanks
We've had a few interesting issues in the last 8 months with regards to Sig- slide issues, grip changes, and some sight issues on handguns as well as a few issues regarding rifle configurations.

We've had some very direct conversations with them as to our expectations and they seemed to have addressed all of them in one way or another- taking back stock that we had or working one-on-one with affected customers.

Things seem to have settled down for the most part and the current batch of Sig Pro's is about the 5th shipment received since last winter's set of issues so hopefully they've got things back on track.

18 Stores Located throughout SoCal
Oxnard | Reseda | Pasadena | West Covina
Torrance | Signal Hill | Fountain Valley
Norwalk | Orange | Chino Hills | Victorville
Rancho Cucamonga | San Bernardino | Corona
Temecula | San Marcos | Kearny Mesa
El Cajon | Lake Forest Now Open

Store Location Info

Shop online at www.turners.com

Our Weekly Ad |
Old 07-17-2011, 4:21 PM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny1 View Post

Best of luck!
Good post - spot on!

I frequent Norwalk, Fountain Valley and occasionally Signal Hill stores...

Fountain Valley by far has the most helpful, polite, knowledgeable and accommodating sales people behind the gun counter... Norwalk is hit & miss (one gentleman there is very, very helpful - others not so much and in some cases give bad/wrong info)... Signal Hill is fine, but somewhat over zealous at times...

I have no experience with any other locations - but I can say without hesitation that if they all conducted business (and themselves) as FV does, much of the concern in your accurate post would be moot.

*no, I dont work at (or know anyone personally that works at) FV... I just know good cust svc when I experience it
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

I went to Turners Fountain Valley last year to do a PPT 50 minutes until close to sell a pistol and wasn't impressed to say the least. I waited at the front to have my pistol checked with the person I was going to sell it to and no one came to check my pistol in. I waited for about 10-15 minutes and one of the guys behind the counter 30 ft away called the front and said it took 1 hour to do a PPT. I was about to buy a new pistol with the cash I had from the transaction which happened to be on sale. I've spent over 10k at Turners in the couple of years I've been buying guns and I haven't been back since I was so pissed.
Old 07-29-2011, 5:54 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables

I too had issues with the front counter check-in.

This was a little over a year ago... Waited for about 5 minutes, then the cashier checked it in himself.

My friend and I got to the counter, upon which the manager went ballistic on the cashier.

Apparently, a member of management has to perform the "clear" check at the register.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:43 PM

Glad to see you guys here on CGN. I shop the Norwalk Turners and have had good experiences(for the most part). I purchased my first 3 firearms from them, then another a year later. Shout out to Glenn, very knowledgeable and patient towards new gun owners. Cool dude!!!