Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-01-2011, 2:24 PM

Exclamation SB427 in Approp.'s Wed. 7/6: Urge Reps to Oppose Costly Ammo Sales Registration

On Wednesday, July 6th, the Assembly Appropriations Committee will consider Senate Bill 427, carried by anti-gun Senator Kevin De Leon. Much like SB 124, SB 427 is falsely being promoted by Senator De Leon as “minor” cleanup legislation to AB 962 (2009) which was declared unconstitutional as a result of an NRA lawsuit earlier this year. Initially, SB 427 would have given law enforcement the authority to collect ammunition sales records from ammunition retailers, while requiring ammunition vendors to notify local law enforcement of the intention to engage in the business of selling ammunition. Senator De Leon kept the bill in this limited form in order to push the bill through the Senate.

Simultaneously, Senator De Leon authored Senate Bill 124, which was falsely promoted as the “cop-killer bullet protection act,” even though the SB 124’s true purpose is to redefine the definition of “handgun ammunition” and to circumvent the Court decision which found his previous ammunition registration regulations (AB 962) unconstitutional. Now that Senator De Leon’s strategic ploy to require the registration of all ammunition via 124 has been exposed, law enforcement opposition to that bill is growing.

It appears the Senator, in light of the trouble SB 124 is facing, is now scrambling to come up with yet another definition of “handgun ammunition” that will be over inclusive, and using SB 427 to do so. Senator De Leon recently amended SB 427 to include a list of “calibers” which would have to be registered, including ammunition popular among hunters and collectors that has no association with crime. By only recently amending SB 427 to require registration of ammunition sales, Senator De Leon avoided scrutiny by the Senate Appropriations Committee. To be sure, now that SB 427 has been amended, it will result in significant costs to the state, both in terms of enforcement costs and lost sale tax revenue.

Please contact the Assembly Appropriations Committee today and urge them to vote no on this unnecessary, trojan-horse legislative proposal that will result in untold local and state enforcement costs, and which will cost the state hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost sale-tax revenues by driving business out of state.

You can contact the Assembly Appropriations Committee via the user friendly one-click message center on calnra.com: http://calnra.com/legs.shtml Just scroll down to the One-Click Messsage Center and click on roman numeral VI. (SB 427). Simply cut and paste portions from this alert and/or draft your own opposition request, but remember to focus on the cost angle at this time, as this is an Appropriations committee hearing. All other arguments can (and will) be focused on hugely if SB 427 makes it back to the Senate.

Last edited by CMonfort; 07-01-2011 at 3:59 PM..
Old 07-01-2011, 3:08 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If we 'loved' 962, we're gonna like 427 about as much.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-02-2011, 7:09 AM
Calguns Addict

When is this guy going to hit his term limit. I propose a statewide shoot and 'Que party the day of.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 07-02-2011, 9:15 AM

I wrote:

Quote:
I urge you to oppose SB427. Our state is broke, and the last thing we should be doing is considering expensive regulations that will diminish sales of highly-taxed goods (ammunition). Furthermore, the proposed regulations are unconstitutional and will cost the state millions of dollars in legal fees to defend. We need to focus on creating jobs, not enacting more costly regulations that kill jobs and contribute to the budget deficit.

Sincerely,
[Me]
Old 07-02-2011, 9:34 AM

does this guy ever stop....
Old 07-02-2011, 2:03 PM

EMails sent

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 07-02-2011, 3:21 PM
Made in the USA

I thought we were past this... guess not
Old 07-02-2011, 7:33 PM

Anyone else having problems with one click? I tried to open with gmail and yahoo mail and nothing shows up :/
Old 07-03-2011, 7:55 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Here is the post Goober made in the SB124 thread so you can cut and paste the email addreses.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Thank you for this thread. I need someone to help me in Sacramento before this hearing to do a special project against this bill. I only need one volunteer who is available Tuesday Morning.

Catch me off list

“The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.”~Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikhawk View Post
does this guy ever stop....
hmmm no. and he won't as long as the drones in his district continue to vote for him.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:04 PM
C3 Leader

Link up on the CalGuns.net FB page.
Old 07-03-2011, 2:29 PM

emails sent...
Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 AM

emails sent!
Old 07-04-2011, 3:12 PM

Emails sent.

Yet another assault on the 2nd Amendment by the great state of California.

Thank you to CalGuns, Michel & Associates, NRA, CRPA for your vigilance.
Old 07-04-2011, 5:49 PM

Sent, I hope it works.
Old 07-04-2011, 8:15 PM

sent.
Old 07-04-2011, 9:56 PM

Sent.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Sent

These knuckle heads need to fix this state not screw with us a check is coming in the mail.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 AM

Emails Sent (7/5/2011).

Is there really anyone there at the other end or is it some desolate place where the wind blows?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Calguns Addict

i made calls to my area rep's and filed my opposition.

i called mr.de leon's office in sac. and asked the idiot on the phone to explain the bills and he could not and would not explain or clarify anything about the bills...i remained courteous and polite at all times too..
Old 07-06-2011, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Emails sent! Thank you again Calguns!

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 07-06-2011, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Would it help if we:
Thank you for contacting me. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to respond to your e-mail. In order to enable me to send you a responsive e-mail, please go to www.assembly.ca.gov/hill and click on “Contact Me”.

If you would like to schedule an appointment to meet with me or a member of my staff, or you would like to extend an invitation to attend an event, please e-mail Marina Gonzales at marina.gonzales@asm.ca.gov or telephone her at 916-319-2019.
If you are seeking assistance resolving an issue with a state government agency, please call my district office at 650-349-1900.
I am here to serve you.
Jerry Hill
Assemblymember, 19th District

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson

Last edited by Quinc; 07-06-2011 at 1:56 PM..
Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 AM

Talking Waste of time?

I know that contacting elected officials is important, but it seems everytime I send emails to these individuals, the response is always the same - you are not my constituent, so I can't help you (the basic message).

What good is it if I can't call, email or websend a message to another district's official and lodge my complaint?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Solutions? Snide comments? All appreciated...
Old 07-07-2011, 3:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I sent emails to them all....
Old 07-07-2011, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim View Post
I know that contacting elected officials is important, but it seems everytime I send emails to these individuals, the response is always the same - you are not my constituent, so I can't help you (the basic message).

What good is it if I can't call, email or websend a message to another district's official and lodge my complaint?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Solutions? Snide comments? All appreciated...
I sent emails to all on the list about this bill and sb124 on the other thread. I just got this email today from Assemblyman Curt Hagman and I am not in his district.

Quote:
Legislative Alert!

Recently on July 5th, the Assembly Public Safety Committee, of which I am a member, heard two important bills that concern our 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

The first, SB 124 (De León), expands the definition of crimes relating to armor piercing ammunition and expands the ammunition provisions of AB 962. Though AB 962 was recently ruled unconstitutional, this bill attempts to remedy the issues that concerned the court.

The second is SB 798 (De León), which initially sought to classify all BB gun and airsoft devices as imitation firearms, thereby subjecting them to new rules and specifications (i.e. color, packaging, etc). This bill was originally heard on June 21st by this same committee and defeated. However the author recently amended SB 798 which now would permit local governments to pass ordinances to require BB guns, paintball guns, and airsoft rifles be subject to coloration requirements.

Then on July 7th, the Public Safety Committee discussed SJR 7, which would memorialize the Legislature's support of the proposed Federal Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act.

Unfortunately, all of these harmful and unnecessary bills passed out of the public safety committee. Please be assured that I spoke out against and voted against every one of them.

We need to focus our efforts on strengthening the economy and creating jobs, not creating new hardships and restrictions for retailers, business owners, and responsible gun owners.

I urge you to contact your State Assemblymember and tell them to oppose these bills when they reach the floor for a vote.

It is citizens like you that will help lead the way to a better California. I will not give up the fight to protect our basic rights and I hope you will also continue this cause. Thank you for your support.

It is an honor to serve you and the State of California.

Sincerely,

Assemblyman Curt Hagman
District 60

=
Old 07-07-2011, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Yep, Hagman's our friend... But sadly, just about every one of these abominations is making it all the way to the floor....
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 07-10-2011, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonfort View Post
On Wednesday, July 6th, the Assembly Appropriations Committee will consider Senate Bill 427, carried by anti-gun Senator Kevin De Leon. Much like SB 124, SB 427 is falsely being promoted by Senator De Leon as “minor” cleanup legislation to AB 962 (2009) which was declared unconstitutional as a result of an NRA lawsuit earlier this year. Initially, SB 427 would have given law enforcement the authority to collect ammunition sales records from ammunition retailers, while requiring ammunition vendors to notify local law enforcement of the intention to engage in the business of selling ammunition. Senator De Leon kept the bill in this limited form in order to push the bill through the Senate.

Simultaneously, Senator De Leon authored Senate Bill 124, which was falsely promoted as the “cop-killer bullet protection act,” even though the SB 124’s true purpose is to redefine the definition of “handgun ammunition” and to circumvent the Court decision which found his previous ammunition registration regulations (AB 962) unconstitutional. Now that Senator De Leon’s strategic ploy to require the registration of all ammunition via 124 has been exposed, law enforcement opposition to that bill is growing.

It appears the Senator, in light of the trouble SB 124 is facing, is now scrambling to come up with yet another definition of “handgun ammunition” that will be over inclusive, and using SB 427 to do so. Senator De Leon recently amended SB 427 to include a list of “calibers” which would have to be registered, including ammunition popular among hunters and collectors that has no association with crime. By only recently amending SB 427 to require registration of ammunition sales, Senator De Leon avoided scrutiny by the Senate Appropriations Committee. To be sure, now that SB 427 has been amended, it will result in significant costs to the state, both in terms of enforcement costs and lost sale tax revenue.

Please contact the Assembly Appropriations Committee today and urge them to vote no on this unnecessary, trojan-horse legislative proposal that will result in untold local and state enforcement costs, and which will cost the state hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost sale-tax revenues by driving business out of state.

You can contact the Assembly Appropriations Committee via the user friendly one-click message center on calnra.com: http://calnra.com/legs.shtml Just scroll down to the One-Click Messsage Center and click on roman numeral VI. (SB 427). Simply cut and paste portions from this alert and/or draft your own opposition request, but remember to focus on the cost angle at this time, as this is an Appropriations committee hearing. All other arguments can (and will) be focused on hugely if SB 427 makes it back to the Senate.

Emails are an utter waste of time with these people, thay could give a rats azz about our opinions. I hope Ammiano gets mugged.