Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-28-2006, 8:16 AM

Default Golden Tiger 7.62x39 ? re-loads ?

Did a search and found maybe 5 threads on AIM's GT-7.62x39.

1 or 2 people stated that people liked this better than Wolf. Im going to order something from AIM later today and was going to pick up 1k or 2k rounds. No one has said anything negative about them, so I think all is good?

As far as reloading goes - I do not have any reloading equip at all, have no experience or knowledge on the issue, but keep all fired brass - are these candidates for future loads?

Edit: Would be using this for an SKS. ammomans prices are only $5 cheaper in the end, but are for wolf - as im sure you all know

**** Insert Disclaimer here for any past, present, and future posts. Dont get butt hurt, offended, or complain about an innocent mistake, information that is not 100% accurate, or sillyness mistaken for anything other that that ****

Last edited by Nefarious; 12-28-2006 at 8:24 AM..
Old 12-28-2006, 8:45 AM

the golden tiger is steel cased and berdan primed so it isnt reloadable (in the standard sense).
Old 12-28-2006, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificcoast
the golden tiger is steel cased and berdan primed so it isnt reloadable (in the standard sense).
yea ... just found this out as I was doing a little more reading.

Ill probably just go with the wolf brand. I mean its only an SKS here -

**** Insert Disclaimer here for any past, present, and future posts. Dont get butt hurt, offended, or complain about an innocent mistake, information that is not 100% accurate, or sillyness mistaken for anything other that that ****
Old 12-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

would the indoor ranges that have insurance policies that ban the use of Wolf ammo allow this russian substitute? it's all lead under the jacket, right?
Old 12-28-2006, 2:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100
would the indoor ranges that have insurance policies that ban the use of Wolf ammo allow this russian substitute? it's all lead under the jacket, right?
You have to think about WHY certain ranges ban Wolf ammo. Some ban it because of the steel case, others because of the bi-metal jacket (steel jacket with a thin copper plating on top). Golden Tiger obviously has the steel case, and I'm pretty sure they also use the bi-metal jacket too. So I'm guessing that if Wolf isn't allowed, Golden Tiger isn't either.
Old 12-28-2006, 3:45 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbopanda
You have to think about WHY certain ranges ban Wolf ammo. Some ban it because of the steel case, others because of the bi-metal jacket (steel jacket with a thin copper plating on top). Golden Tiger obviously has the steel case, and I'm pretty sure they also use the bi-metal jacket too. So I'm guessing that if Wolf isn't allowed, Golden Tiger isn't either.
My range (Iron Sights in Oceanside) has a blanket brand-based ban on Wolf. Although there's steel case / steel core issues, their primary reason for it is peoples' guns blowing up on them. Of the rare cases where they've had a kaboom on the line, usually it's some guy who decides to sneak Wolf in for some cheap shooting in a handgun, and that's enough to reinforce the "we should just keep that brand banned" thoughts.

No real sweat on my end, it just pushed me into reloading. I refuse to shoot my remaining stash of Cheetah 7.62x39mm.
Old 12-29-2006, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

The indoor ranges I go to (Targetmasters West in Milpitas and Reeds in San Jose) ban all steel- and aluminum-cased ammo because it cuts down their brass resales. They say it's because it messes up their buyer's reloading machines, but steel-case ammo is easily separated out with a magnet.

The outdoor ranges (Los Altos and Stevens Creek) allow steel-case ammo, but don't allow steel-jacketed or steel-core ammo, due to fire hazards from sparks. They use a magnet on the projectile if unsure.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxicon
The indoor ranges I go to (Targetmasters West in Milpitas and Reeds in San Jose) ban all steel- and aluminum-cased ammo because it cuts down their brass resales.
Ah, finally, the TRUTH...
Old 12-30-2006, 9:43 AM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Ted
I've never had either Los Altos R&G, Sunnyvale R&G (Steven's Creek to some), Chabot or Metcalf pass a magnet over my ammo to see if it's steel jacket or core. I've shot plenty of Portugese 7.62 at all four ranges.
I've shot steel-jacketed AND -cored rifle ammo at Chabot with the staff's knowlege.

I usually dump my steel cases in the trash instead of the brass bucket, too.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 12-30-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Ted
I've never had either Los Altos R&G, Sunnyvale R&G (Steven's Creek to some), Chabot or Metcalf pass a magnet over my ammo to see if it's steel jacket or core. I've shot plenty of Portugese 7.62 at all four ranges.
The last time I was at Steven's Creek Sunnyvale R&G range located in Cupertino the new guy wouldn't let me shoot any painted tip ammo, namely my Radway .223 Green and Czech silver tip. The older guy, Ted, wasn't there that day. He didn't use a magnet though... just no painted tips.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icormba
The last time I was at Steven's Creek Sunnyvale R&G range located in Cupertino the new guy wouldn't let me shoot any painted tip ammo, namely my Radway .223 Green and Czech silver tip. The older guy, Ted, wasn't there that day. He didn't use a magnet though... just no painted tips.
It was the green tip M855 that got their attention, which started a discussion about whether it was steel-core or not (my friend with the ammo couldn't remember, and I held my peace), so they pulled out a magnet to check.

If you have painted tip ammo that's not steel core, it might be worth bringing a magnet to satisfy them, as they're often not very savvy on ammo details, I've found.
Old 01-01-2007, 6:40 PM

I shoot at an old range out in the country near Stockton they don't care what kind of ammo you shoot. In fact they don't even have a range master.

Mike