Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:16 AM
CGSSA Associate

Default Can LEO's buy "off list" handguns in CA?

If so, I've been looking at the Taurus PT1911. I'm thinking I can have one of my parents purchase, then sometime down the road, do a PPT. I know that it would be taking advantage of a loophole, but enacting a law that says you have to have a loaded chamber indicator and a mag disconnect to make a handgun safe is crazy.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:39 AM

I think peace officers are exempted from the list. Search is your best option. Or call DOJ and see what BS the give you and come back and tell us .
Old 12-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: West Oakland, low crawling up on Emeryville and Berkeley.

Yes, unless the laws have changed (very possible), LEOs are exempt and can purchase firearms not on the approved list. I'm guessing it would require signed letter head from the chief stating that the firearm was for duty purposes or maybe just a copy of the PD ID before the distributor would ship it to the local FFL. This is the process we used to have to go through for individual officer purchases for firearms with regular capacity magazines.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz
enacting a law that says you have to have a loaded chamber indicator and a mag disconnect to make a handgun safe is crazy.
Of course it is.

See my comment #4 in this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=44765

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-26-2006, 2:14 PM

Peace officers can buy handguns that are not on the approved list as well as ARs; however, it requires a letter from their depratment on official letterhead (Per DOJ). They can also purchase hi-cap mags, but those don't require a letter. Some shops keep guns in the back that they show only to LEOs that come in, and the Old Sacramento Armory has a case with handguns that are available only to LEOs.
Old 12-26-2006, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

Yes they can buy off list handguns and i wish gun shops would keep them in back or in a case marked l.e. only because it sucks when you walk in to the local gun shop and see a kel-tec p3at on the shelf and get all excited till you see l.e. sales only on the tag
Old 12-26-2006, 3:18 PM

The signed letter exempts the LEO from the 10 day waiting period. I believe they are exempted from the approved list simply for being a peace officer. AWs must be approved on signed, dept. letterhead, and subsequently registered.

Stupid laws..
Old 12-26-2006, 3:23 PM

Not exempt from approved list without letterhead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelaw
The signed letter exempts the LEO from the 10 day waiting period. I believe they are exempted from the approved list simply for being a peace officer. AWs must be approved on signed, dept. letterhead, and subsequently registered.

Stupid laws..
Old 12-26-2006, 3:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Can LEOs buy AKs? I mean... LEOs don't exactly run into situations where the extra range of an AR is needed... and these aren't FA.... in semi auto an AK has a larger bullet. Plus there are modern AK74s with decent accuracy.

I just prefer reliability with my lazy butt. I don't like cleaning my guns after shootin.
The volume of blood necessary to achieve erection would cause you to either pass out or if you didn't and managed to maintain an erection you would likely die from lack of oxygen to the heart and brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
Just be glad you are not his next door neighbor. I am sure there are "good tunes" flowing out the window. I am imagining a cop car pulling up at 1:30 AM asking "Are you having a party?" and Bundo sayin "Nope just me and the BG's"
Old 12-26-2006, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

Basically a LEO can get anything that his department is willing to let him carry.
Old 12-26-2006, 5:00 PM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

I hope the NRA will take on the special treatment L.E.O get in this state. They are civilians just like us and therefore have to have the exact same privileges we do, or in the case of firearms - don't.
If they need special tools for their job, then it is up to the state to equip them with such tools. There should not be ANY exceptions to this. I suspect that if the NRA would fight this, we would have the entire LEO community switch sides, and won't see any Oakland PD commercials about how evil 50BMGs are!
Old 12-26-2006, 5:34 PM

Default LEO CA firearms

As far as I know, LEO's can have Off-List CA Handguns and high cap mags. But they're restricted to what their Dept. allows them to carry on duty or what they qualify with. Also the 1 handgun a month CA .policy doen't apply to LEOs.
On assualt rifles/shotgun, LEOs have to an Approved Dept. letterhead signed by person of Authority which permits that officer is certified to purchase an assault rifle like a SIG 556!

There are some good perks being a LEO!
Old 12-26-2006, 9:45 PM

As far as I know, I think LEO's can only buy hi-cap magazines for their assigned duty weapons. I only bought hi-cap mags for my duty Glock 19, but not for any of my other weapon. The times I bought my mags the police supply shop copied the info on my creds. Never tried or knew to take advantage of this so-called "perk." A far as long guns goes, I know that you need the chief or the head of your office to sign off on official letterhead and then need to qual with the weapon. But my agency issues us our individual long guns, so I won't even dare ask!!

Do I believe civilians should be able to buy hi-caps and AR's? Absolutely!! As much fun and love I have for my job, I still am a gun owner, and I still have to comply with the laws of this state and ATF. I still had to register my AR six years ago (have the DOJ letter to prove it) een though I am a LEO. I am building two OLL's right now, and they will be CA compliant (fixed ten round mags) because I have to follow the law. If they allow law abidding citizens to buy hi-caps and AR's, I would benefit too!! It would be less of a hassle for me too.

Just my two cents from an average LEO