Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-24-2011, 7:21 PM

Default 1911 Question? Are SIG 1911 barrel interchangeable with other 1911s

Title says it all....
Is the SIG 1911 barrel interchangeable with other/regular 1911s like SA, Colt, kimber, etc.
I can try and call SIG next week but I figured the calgun community would know.
THANKS CALGUNNERS.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 PM

Most 1911 barrels aren't 'plug n play' solutions. Your best result will come from a barrel being fitted to a particular gun. Not exactly like your average Glock, M&P, XD, etc......there is a lot of metal on metal contact in a 1911.

That said, YES, the Sig 1911 barrel is no different than other 1911 barrels, and if you wanted to take the barrel out of your Sig and put it in your Kimber for a day, you could. You probably shouldn't, but yes, you could.

If you one of each in a 5" size, Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Sig, SW, they'd all fit inside each other, and would probably operate. They won't all have the tolerances needed to maximize reliability and accuracy though.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the input puttogether.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutTogether View Post
Most 1911 barrels aren't 'plug n play' solutions. Your best result will come from a barrel being fitted to a particular gun. Not exactly like your average Glock, M&P, XD, etc......there is a lot of metal on metal contact in a 1911.

That said, YES, the Sig 1911 barrel is no different than other 1911 barrels, and if you wanted to take the barrel out of your Sig and put it in your Kimber for a day, you could. You probably shouldn't, but yes, you could.

If you one of each in a 5" size, Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Sig, SW, they'd all fit inside each other, and would probably operate. They won't all have the tolerances needed to maximize reliability and accuracy though.
exactly that. 1911's are like made to be fit and pieced perfectly together.. Everything is like made for that specific gun and made for everything to fit just right.. Its not like a glock where you can just take your 40 cal slide and put a 9mm barrel and your g2g..

1911's are works of art almost.. Thats what you pay for.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 06-25-2011, 5:00 AM

Thank you for the advice.
Old 06-25-2011, 5:47 AM

The only real difference between the Sig and other 1911s is it has a external extractor. Just like explained above most parts must be fit to each and every 1911. In the past I have swapped slides and so forth on my 1911s just to see how they fit, but never fired them as such. Nothing fits the way an original part does unless it is fit to do so. So if your question is can I order a new barrel made by different manufacture and make work on my Sig the answer is yes with proper fitting.