Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 PM

Default Off list gun that was registered as an aw? Can it be sold in kalifornia?

Can it be converted to a legal state and sold?

What is the process the seller must go through to get their name off the list with doj?

LO
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

You can voluntarily take your rifle off the AW list, obviously once doing so you will have to make your rifle CA complaint. It is possible to make your RAW an un-RAW, as you stated it's not ban by name so you shouldn't have to many issues doing so. I believe you have to write a letter to the DOJ and submit a form, I forget which one exactly.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member

Make sure you get confirmation that it has been un-registered as a RAW before you sell it. Maybe that's obvious, but not doing so could wind up being a pain in the ***.
Old 06-24-2011, 7:56 AM

Default Thanks,

Good info... If anyone knows the forms or whom to ask that would be great to know.
Old 06-24-2011, 9:35 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

think hard before you un-RAW a RAW. Do you HAVE to sell it? If so, can you strip it and sell off the parts kit, keeping the registered receiver? Realize that for something like an AR-15-pattern rifle, that the off-list lower is only worth around $100-150 if you sell it, but you can't replace it for any price at this time.

using the AR-15 as an example, if you sold it complete, you would probably get around $600-1000 for it, depending on what it was. If you sold the barreled upper, you could probably get $500-1000 for it, and still keep the RAW lower.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM

Dont sell it
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM

what exactly do you have?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
think hard before you un-RAW a RAW. Do you HAVE to sell it? If so, can you strip it and sell off the parts kit, keeping the registered receiver? Realize that for something like an AR-15-pattern rifle, that the off-list lower is only worth around $100-150 if you sell it, but you can't replace it for any price at this time.

using the AR-15 as an example, if you sold it complete, you would probably get around $600-1000 for it, depending on what it was. If you sold the barreled upper, you could probably get $500-1000 for it, and still keep the RAW lower.
If you have to sell it Jack has the best idea on how to sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 06-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Calguns Addict

You'd be a moron to sell a RAW.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:06 PM

keep the registered part (Lower receiver or whatever it may be) .... You will if not now, at some point regret it.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM

My Dad was thinking about buying a Mini 14 off of a guy (both retired LEO's) the Mini was registered awhile back. The info we were told was that there was a form to fill out, and any work done to it to make it Ca. compliant had to be performed by a gunsmith, and the process documented (before, during, after pictures with detailed descriptions of what is being done). The paperwork and pictures etc would be reviewed (6 mos to a year, "unregistering a gun isn't a priority to the DOJ" straight from their mouths). If everything checked out they would unregister the gun and send paperwork confirming it's all good, then the gun could be sold. My Dad passed on the deal. All the above information came from the DOJ thru emails and phone conversations, so the may be some FUD involved.
Old 06-24-2011, 2:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks View Post
keep the registered part (Lower receiver or whatever it may be) .... You will if not now, at some point regret it.
Both great responses. Sell off everything to help out your situation; but the stripped RAW lower.
Old 06-24-2011, 3:47 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762.D3A7H View Post
Both great responses. Sell off everything to help out your situation; but the stripped RAW lower.
yes yes yes! Why would anyone unregister a RAW lower?
Old 06-24-2011, 4:06 PM

every time someone converts a RAW to a legal rifle a baby kitten dies... DON'T DO IT: you will regret it for the rest of your life.
Old 06-24-2011, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

couldnt he sell it to someone out of state? or would he have to move out of state and get a permanent residence first? either way, it sounds like a pain in the *** to sell a RAW. just part it out and keep the lower...you will need it at one point and time in the near future

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 06-24-2011, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikhawk View Post
every time someone converts a RAW to a legal rifle a baby kitten dies... DON'T DO IT: you will regret it for the rest of your life.
Now that's funny.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1646789

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1645958

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1645863

Legal disclaimer: Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, including me.
Old 06-24-2011, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member

Seriously, 1000+ to "keep the registered lower".
Old 08-10-2011, 9:23 PM

Default Thanks for all your replies..

First off I am not the "moron" who wanted to sell their Raw. I was the potential buyer. The receiver is worth about 3500 from what i can tell. So the seller had a good reason to cash out...

It was an hk 43 rifle.. Like a 93. I ended up finding a better one that was never registered. I just picked it up in LA this weekend,

I talked to doj. For the record, it is easiest to sell it out of state. The seller can un register it but that process is involved. It requires taking pictures of the mods such as bb and 10 rnd mag. Then sending pics and written description to doj. An officer will review and after an indeterminant amount of time they will send confirmation that your gun is unreged. This process is a very low priority and could take up to 1.5 years. They called it low priority for their officers. The backlog was over 1 year when i called. After it is unreged then you can sell it like any oll.

I asked the lady at doj what would happen if the oll sold out of state came back into kali. They are collectible and are worth more here ya know... She said I don't know. If the seller files the non longer in possession paperwork that protects them...but the unsuspecting buyer may be in possession of what appears to be someone else's reged aw. I am sure that all will work out after the guy that has it gets totally butt effed by doj for a few months.
Old 08-10-2011, 9:35 PM
Love God Love People
CGN Contributor

Seller sells it to an out of state friendly FFL who performs any needed surgery
This assumes feature not named AW status

Seller fills out and sends in no longer in possession of an AW form

Out of state FFL sells it to you and sends it to your friendly FFL

Well good idea, bad idea, any thoughts?
Old 08-10-2011, 9:54 PM
Calguns Supreme Overlord

You do not have a "registered assault weapon." You have a "registered banned rifle." lol.

But really... keep the registered lower and build a CA legal self loading fixed magazine rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D