Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-22-2011, 6:01 PM

Default Drop-In Handguards, Carbine

I have the plastic standard handguard on my AR. I told myself I would leave it like this because I like the look of the standard carbine. But now I'm starting to have a different vision.
I was maybe thinking of purchasing a Drop-In Handguard, carbine length. Which brand do you recommend? I listed a few below. What's your experience on reliability, quality, tight fit , not loose, etc. on those brands or any brands. These are probably all the same just different names.

Midwest Industries:

Daniel Defense:

Troy:

WTB: 9mm Carbine, preferably AR Type, PM me...
Old 06-22-2011, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

I replaced my plastic handguards with the Midwest industries brand. Zero play or movement, Even with flashlight, and VFG or AFG I had on there. Fit is 100% perfect. I would purchase them again if I get another non railed upper that I wanted to add a quad rail.

The pic of the MI ones you posted look like standard free float rail and not the acual 2 piece drop in version your asking about.

This is what I got and am in love. I was scared they would wobble like the plastic ones, but nope..Solid

http://www.riflegear.com/p-38-midwes...r-17-gen2.aspx

Last edited by xxINKxx; 06-22-2011 at 6:20 PM..
Old 06-22-2011, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

If you're willing to spend the $$ and want a drop-in FF, go with the Daniel Defense Omega or the Centurion Arms.
Old 06-22-2011, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Daniel Defence omega 7 FTW!

Check out my YouTube channel at my AR I went from basic to tacticool

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 06-22-2011, 7:34 PM

I'm sort of partial, but oh well.......Troy gets my vote
SIG P226 Navy, W. German P226
P226 Scorpion, P226 X5 Competition
SIG P229 E2
SIG SP2022
TROY M7A1
Old 06-22-2011, 7:39 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

On a budget, the MI's are actually really nice.

I don't know what DD was thinking with the EZ CAR. It's really not that great, not what you would expect from DD.

Troys are heavy and sloppily machined I've found.

The best, if you have the money, is the DD Omega. Hands down.

Not on that list, but HIGHLY recommended are the Knights RAS. They're built like Swiss clocks. You can find pretty good deals on them occasionally.

Surefire's are nice, but weird to install and the top rail doesn't sit at receiver height (really not a problem for 99% of setups). Bonus: They come with Surefire rail ladders, which are easily the best in the industry.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 06-22-2011, 7:47 PM
Banned

I have had; CAA, 1st Samco, DD, Troy, KAC RAS, GG&G, Plastic double shielded Carbine and Plastic DPMS Glacier M4 handguards.... I have plastic Carbine now.

I will be going to standard plastic A2 guards when I go dissy this summer. I will add a short VFG rail...thats all I need. for a flashlight and VFG.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM

With the Daniel Defense Omega 7, is this a straight drop-in, no gunsmithing/modifications to the rifle for install (example: don't have to remove the Delta Ring assembly and don't have to punch out the front sight housing off)

What makes the Daniel Defense Omega rail more expensive than the Midwest Industries rail?

WTB: 9mm Carbine, preferably AR Type, PM me...
Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Default DD Omega or Centurion Arms C4

I have both the Daniel Defense Omega and Centurion Arms C4 rails. Both are rock solid with the Centurion Arms C4 costing less than the DD. The Centurion Arms C4 does require the removal of the delta ring assembly.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

On a REAL budget if you're wanting a great little railed handguard to hang goodies off of is KZ from Botach Tactical. They're $40 and built like a tank.
Old 06-23-2011, 2:54 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baga View Post
With the Daniel Defense Omega 7, is this a straight drop-in, no gunsmithing/modifications to the rifle for install (example: don't have to remove the Delta Ring assembly and don't have to punch out the front sight housing off)
The Omega's are true drop-in's.

Quote:
What makes the Daniel Defense Omega rail more expensive than the Midwest Industries rail?
Quality of manufacturing. The DD Omega's are magically light, as well. Seriously, they have magic or voodoo or something on the manufacturing floor to get them that light. The MI's are twice as heavy as the Omega's.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 06-23-2011, 3:14 PM

I can personally vouch for the Centurion C4 rails. Very solid, but not a straight drop in and are a bit pricy. You will have to dremel off the delta ring and snap off the front handguard cap, neither of which is amazingly difficult from what I can tell (there's a video on youtube), but is definitely a bit of extra work. So I can't speak to that aspect of the installation process personally but I can vouch for the end result.

Love and Peace through superior firepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Plus, we can check out each other's hardware. Who says we can't find common ground?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Soap box, ballot box, jury box, ammo box. Use in that order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
You need to grow a full beard and move out into the woods before you can be a full fledged member of the surplus rifle long range shooting community.
Old 06-23-2011, 3:35 PM

Honestly on a budget I would look at the magpul, MOE's with the illumination kit. I LOVE mine, they weigh nothing and are rock solid (most of the time) and the are super comfortable to shoot.
Old 06-23-2011, 3:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
I have had; CAA, 1st Samco, DD, Troy, KAC RAS, GG&G, Plastic double shielded Carbine and Plastic DPMS Glacier M4 handguards.... I have plastic Carbine now.

I will be going to standard plastic A2 guards when I go dissy this summer. I will add a short VFG rail...thats all I need. for a flashlight and VFG.
I went though a few railed guards but after taking a couple carbine training classes, I went back to standard A2s and well, also with just a short bottom rail for a light if I wanted one. The metal guards are too heavy. And for me, pointless, as I don't want/need all the gizmos. I just want a good, light rifle, not a heavyweight Swiss Army knife-style do-all.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 06-23-2011, 3:45 PM

i get my KAC RAS tomorrow....
Old 06-23-2011, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

I sell a lot of the MI drop-ins. They work great.

I personally run the Knight's Armament drop-ins. They too work great.
Old 06-24-2011, 1:34 AM

Originally Posted by dieselpower

I went though a few railed guards but after taking a couple carbine training classes, I went back to standard A2s and well, also with just a short bottom rail for a light if I wanted one. The metal guards are too heavy. And for me, pointless, as I don't want/need all the gizmos. I just want a good, light rifle, not a heavyweight Swiss Army knife-style do-all.
^ yup. Magpul moe handguard is about as tacticool as I get . I'm diggin the plastic handguards. Very low drag.
Old 06-24-2011, 8:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

$8.00 rail from midway. I got it here from a calgunner but they're less than ten bucks for steel rails all day. It bolted on the handguard from underneath. You have to take the head shield out with a screwdriver and snap it back in afterward but thats about it. Easy to do and agree with magic32, most people don't need the full quad rail setup.
Old 06-24-2011, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

On my very first build, I did this as well and went with YHM Carbine Tactical Handguards. Love them, very affordable little upgrade.

Plastic handguards

WTS: Gun stuff & things WTB: Glock 19 Gen 3
Old 06-24-2011, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
On a REAL budget if you're wanting a great little railed handguard to hang goodies off of is KZ from Botach Tactical. They're $40 and built like a tank.
Primary Arms has a drop in carbine quad rail at about the same price.

Botach sucks.
Old 06-24-2011, 9:30 AM

I have the MI Gen 2 drop-in rails on my S&W AR15 and they lock up solid and tight with no movement whatsoever. I have no problem suggesting them as a great option and have heard similar feedback from others who use these.

Troy and DD are well-known for their quality so go with whatever you prefer

In case anybody would like to see a pic installed, here you go- not the best pic but you get the point:

Last edited by Zman11; 06-24-2011 at 10:46 AM..