Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-07-2016, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

Default Purchase Rant: Long lines, no longer about PRICE !

So I go to a LGS and hold a few weapons looking for the right one. I had taken a ticket and waited over an hour in store and 1/2 hour outside before opening. Previously days I had driven by and peeked inside only to see long lines, bye bye.

I picked my desired gun only to find it's out of stock and please wait to DROS the serial number gun when it comes in. Ok I do want new and not floor model. Get the phone call that the serial number is in, come dros. Well 2 hours in line and I get just a number, I can't even touch my gun I have a deposit on because it's in the warehouse. WTF

In ten days I will return, only to probably wait 1.5-2.0 hours again to pick up the pew pew.

Seriously? I'm gonna wait 5 hrs. to buy a gun from you again? Not a chance, EVER ! My time is worth A LOT, more than the cost of this gun. After (3) guns here, I will never step into this store again.

Learn to run a store when SHTF...Can't fix stupid

NSFW Whelps !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yKqKg6DfTY
Old 12-07-2016, 7:24 AM

Turner's??
Old 12-07-2016, 7:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNTZ View Post
Turner's??
My exact thoughts.
Old 12-07-2016, 7:28 AM

And the above reason is I do not shop at any BassPro for ANY shooting/firearm related purchases and I am most likely going to fire Cabelas as they too will soon be as ****ty as BassPro.

Too many other LGS's with great customer service, and do what they say they are going to do.

But I would say don't get upset about it. Just vote with your cash, leave then come here and tell us which place has bad CS so we can avoid it. Who knows, maybe the owner is a member here and would be willing to make it right with you.

I have a very simple rule: I do not wait for anyone to spend my money and I will not wait more than 15 min. to be helped.

Good Medicine, Bad Places.

Do No Harm, Do Know Harm.
Old 12-07-2016, 7:51 AM

Just think how short those lines will be come 2017.
Old 12-07-2016, 7:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmc2000 View Post
Just think how short those lines will be come 2017.
Yep
Old 12-07-2016, 8:06 AM

That's why you don't shop at turners...
Old 12-07-2016, 8:07 AM
Veteran Member

Bullseye in San Rafael and Castro Valley use to be like that, but they went out of business. I think they went out of business because they were incompetent A-holes.

Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

Old 12-07-2016, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixoclockhold View Post
My first thought is, this guy isn't a newb... he had to know it was going to be like this, this time of year. Why is he angry?

It's like, getting angry you got wet... when you were planning on going swimming...
Old 12-07-2016, 8:17 AM

Went through this myself recently, and I'm sure it is an unintentional (?) 'benefit' for the lawmakers here in our State... They are making it as painful as possible for legitimate citizens to procure new weapons.

I had ordered a matched lower/upper receiver and had it shipped to the store. The store is a 45 minute drive away, so a challenge to get the time to get over there with my work schedule.

Finally had a chance, and get there to find that there were around 50 numbers ahead of me. Waited an hour and a half just to get to my number - fortunately many had walked out, else it would have likely been another hour.

It took close to 30 minutes to complete the paperwork for a product already purchased and paid for.

Had to wait the 10 days (in spite of having a safe full of other arms already), and several more before I could get the time to get back to the store.

Fortunately, they were taking pick-ups out of order, so it was only a 30 minute wait or so, and another 15 minutes to complete the delivery paperwork.

This was not Turners, by the way.

Contrast that to one of the neighboring free states where you can still walk in, browse at your leisure, and walk out 15 minutes later with your selection.

Just doesn't make sense.
Old 12-07-2016, 8:27 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post
My first thought is, this guy isn't a newb... he had to know it was going to be like this, this time of year. Why is he angry?

It's like, getting angry you got wet... when you were planning on going swimming...
yup. so a shop should hire and train 20 new salesclerks for 2 months of rush? realize that it can take a month or so for the "Certificate of Eligibiiity" background check to clear if the shop requires a valid COE for employees.

and then you have to add in 5-10 more data terminals for them to submit the DROSes.

perhaps the OP should have bought what he wanted 6 months ago? Or, if it is a rostered gun that will be available next year, then wait until January?

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-07-2016, 8:34 AM

Turner's and the likeare jokes. Who are these people that take numbers like it's the damn DMV? It's not even necessary, there's so many smaller outfits with way better service and wayyyy better prices
Old 12-07-2016, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNTZ View Post
Turner's??
Has to be. Happens every year.
Old 12-07-2016, 8:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I know it would be a mad house with the added chance of a DROS delay because of the panic buying.
Any gun I still want, can wait until next year.
Old 12-07-2016, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
yup. so a shop should hire and train 20 new salesclerks for 2 months of rush? realize that it can take a month or so for the "Certificate of Eligibiiity" background check to clear if the shop requires a valid COE for employees.

and then you have to add in 5-10 more data terminals for them to submit the DROSes.

perhaps the OP should have bought what he wanted 6 months ago? Or, if it is a rostered gun that will be available next year, then wait until January?

Wow, how quickly WE turn on one another.. Op wants to blow off some Steam in his OWN Community and gets This?
Old 12-07-2016, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tunaman View Post
Went through this myself recently, and I'm sure it is an unintentional (?) 'benefit' for the lawmakers here in our State... They are making it as painful as possible for legitimate citizens to procure new weapons.

I had ordered a matched lower/upper receiver and had it shipped to the store. The store is a 45 minute drive away, so a challenge to get the time to get over there with my work schedule.

Finally had a chance, and get there to find that there were around 50 numbers ahead of me. Waited an hour and a half just to get to my number - fortunately many had walked out, else it would have likely been another hour.

It took close to 30 minutes to complete the paperwork for a product already purchased and paid for.

Had to wait the 10 days (in spite of having a safe full of other arms already), and several more before I could get the time to get back to the store.

Fortunately, they were taking pick-ups out of order, so it was only a 30 minute wait or so, and another 15 minutes to complete the delivery paperwork.

This was not Turners, by the way.

Contrast that to one of the neighboring free states where you can still walk in, browse at your leisure, and walk out 15 minutes later with your selection.

Just doesn't make sense.
You mean you found a place with longer waits than Turners. Do tell so we can avoid it.
Old 12-07-2016, 8:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Logic. A lost concept.
Old 12-07-2016, 8:38 AM
Top Rated Vendor
CGN Contributor

Listed lowers here. Spent 4 hours PPTing at Pasadena turners last night. Got home at 11p. There were 90 people ahead of us.
Old 12-07-2016, 8:38 AM

Must be riflegear. Haha. While it is a great shop with great customer service, the wait times are ridiculous. I'll gladly pay more just to avoid that mess. It took me 2.5 hours to DROS and about 2 hours to pick up...
Old 12-07-2016, 8:41 AM

Yep ^^^ Great store, good prices, and the staff were awesome under the load. Just far too many hoops to jump through.
Old 12-07-2016, 8:42 AM

As oppposed to the good old days at San Francisco Gun Exchange. Walk in, pick out an S&W stub nose hammerless, check of my ID just to see if Im old enough, grab a box of ammo, pay cash, walk out of store with gun.
Old 12-07-2016, 8:51 AM

I went into Turners last week as their Holiday Circular had a pair of Leupold 7x35 Binoculars on sale for like 70 bucks...I needed new Binoculars for work, so I figured what the hell.

BTW, this was the Reseda location...

The place was an all out ZOO. I took a number and waited around for like 20 minutes, nobody even looked in my general direction. I got frustrated and just went to the cash register clerk and asked to buy the binoculars on sale. Long and short, is they didn't have them in stock, so I wasted over an hour of my time driving to and from that place, and standing around inside. It's not their fault they didn't have the sale item in stock, but that place is a cluster and I'm never shopping there again.

I ended up buying a similar pair online and they were delivered to my house 2 days later for less money.

Go Figure.
“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-07-2016, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
As oppposed to the good old days at San Francisco Gun Exchange. Walk in, pick out an S&W stub nose hammerless, check of my ID just to see if Im old enough, grab a box of ammo, pay cash, walk out of store with gun.
+1, Man, you are Right.. These are NOT the good old days....
Old 12-07-2016, 8:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

All things considered, this time with these new laws has beaten down gun stores and customers.

I rounded up items, guns, lowers, etc months ago.

Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 12-07-2016, 9:05 AM
CGN Contributor

You gonna tell us the name of the store or not?
Old 12-07-2016, 9:06 AM

if you were at turners consider yourself lucky. turners Pasadena has been averaging over 4 hour wait...
Old 12-07-2016, 9:11 AM
Top Rated Vendor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleda View Post
You gonna tell us the name of the store or not?
If a ticket was taken. Chances are. Turner's.
They are all dikjammed right now.
I had nothing to do. So didn't bother me. I went thru this in 2013 also.
Old 12-07-2016, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina View Post
They do this at Ammo Bros as well. Had the pleasure of waiting 2 hours after pulling a number there and I was in line before they opened.
Old 12-07-2016, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina View Post
riflegear has ticket system too.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:03 AM

Had a similar experience this past weekend.

Went in on a Fri night to a large LGS to order a single action revolver (diff barrel length and caliber to one they had in the cabinet). Lucked out with the night crew. First guy kept trying to look it up on DOJ roster, telling me he couldn't find it and wouldn't be able to order it unless it was there. Ummm...single action revolver is roster exempt and you have one in the case. Calls for reinforcements. Next guy was aware of SA roster exemption, but wasn't proficient in how to use their online system to custom order. Told me I'd have to come back next day and ask for a specific person. I half expected this, so no major surprise.

The next day, however was a surprise. Busy and lines. Everyone in line was either buying/DROSing or picking up. Not fast. Endless paperwork/process (seems like the larger the LGS, the more 'in house' paperwork and process...smaller shops have this down to a very fast process). Felt like I was at the DMV, post office and bank all at once.

Paperwork/process to order wasn't too bad, but I've had PPTs go faster at other locations. Chalk it up to the holidays, buying concerns or future unknowns I guess.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:05 AM

Another thing to remember is all the newbies and their million questions or forgetting their proper paperwork when drosing.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:13 AM

What gun did you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydave View Post
I've noticed a much larger bulge in my pants when shooting a sig vs glock.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:14 AM

Sounds like you need to find a smaller local gun shop. Screw the Black Friday sales, pay $20 and save hours of your time.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:14 AM

That was a really good story.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:27 AM

I can not imagine myself living in Southern California where there are so many many people that stories like this one are common.

I grew up as a farm boy in a rural area. Still live in a rural farm area. Going to town and my local gunshop is fun and stress free. No lines, no wait.

I'm a lucky man.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
California has had a handgun waiting period since the early 1920's.

If you're not with us, you're against us.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixoclockhold View Post
So I go to a LGS and hold a few weapons looking for the right one. I had taken a ticket and waited over an hour in store and 1/2 hour outside before opening. Previously days I had driven by and peeked inside only to see long lines, bye bye.

I picked my desired gun only to find it's out of stock and please wait to DROS the serial number gun when it comes in. Ok I do want new and not floor model. Get the phone call that the serial number is in, come dros. Well 2 hours in line and I get just a number, I can't even touch my gun I have a deposit on because it's in the warehouse. WTF

In ten days I will return, only to probably wait 1.5-2.0 hours again to pick up the pew pew.

Seriously? I'm gonna wait 5 hrs. to buy a gun from you again? Not a chance, EVER ! My time is worth A LOT, more than the cost of this gun. After (3) guns here, I will never step into this store again.

Took 3 hours to do a ppt last week. I should have refused but buyer/trader really wanted to go there.

If you don't like the price of something I am selling please feel free to move along... The market, not you, will determine what it's worth. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:30 AM

Cry Baby. I'm so tired of hearing people cry and whine about the wait time. Don't you know whats happening 01/01/2017??? You expect it to be short and quick? You are a window licker. Turners had 147 numbers in front of me the other day. What do you expect them to do? Hire 40 more employees, buy a dozen computers, and raise the price of the gun you're buying by 100 dollars to cover the expense?
Old 12-07-2016, 10:33 AM
Banned-aid
CGN Contributor

I would just go in, take a number, ask someone roughly how long it will take to call my number, then either go back home or get some other errands done in the meantime.

I never understood why people sit in the DMV for 3 hours at a time, knowing that their number isn't even close to being called yet. So many better things to do with that time. What's the worst that can happen, you show back up 5 minutes after they called your number? While that would suck, at least you only lost a few minutes. Take another number and try again, except this time go back 5 minutes earlier than you did before. Or you could always try to claim you were on the crapper when they called your number and see if they'll still honor your place in line.

If 5 hours of your time is so valuable that it's worth more than the cost of the gun, you should be smart enough to be able to figure out how to utilize the downtime. Or someone is paying you waaaay too much money. Or you think your time is worth waaaay more than it really is. One or the other. It's not the store's fault that you decided to spend the 5 hours standing around with your thumb in your butt.

11/23-11/28/2015: Never forget.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 12-07-2016 at 10:39 AM..
Old 12-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post

Of course I was expecting some wait, 5 hrs. hell no. If I ran my business this way with excuses and delays I wouldn't have made it 40 years. My clients expect much more, they expect people who can adapt to change and overcome it. They don't want to hear excuses.

IMO some employees are putting on the act, doing the Sandy Hook around in circle routine so as not to get down and dirty.

Step one, yes if you have a tract record of this, you hire additional personnel and terminals if need be. This is what we call customer service. You bring everyone in and explain, time to buckle down folks, it's show time, no time to be hiding from work, this is what we pay you for.

Have an up to date inventory with a cute girl at front door explaining the procedure. No gun in stock, you will make (3) visits, gun in stock (2) visits.
Oh and how about having people specialize in certain things. Pick up lines with appointments, baddabing baddaboom, thank you come again.

Sales people who show weapons and sell (people may just want to touchy feel and get out to sleep on it)... Buy in stock, Hand off to Dros experts. Buy and order, model make hand off to register peeps just chatting to write up and take deposit.

In the end, there is no excuse, so don't make any or you're fired !

Places can be much more organized and prepared.

NSFW Whelps !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yKqKg6DfTY