Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-15-2017, 8:38 AM

Default Semi-auto and Revolver grip questions

Springfield Armory Ultra-compact .45:

I'm looking to make the stock grips less aggressive checkering-wise or to replace them with a different set all-together.

Source for these shorter grips?
Can I sand-down/de-sharpen the grips with a dremel?

Victory Smith and Wesson .38 Model 10:

This is a shooter, not a safe-queen - my wife and I love range time using it but we find the current grips lacking (bake-lite imitation Stag horn)

Is there a grip that fills the void behind the trigger guard like a Tyler T-grip but is a part of the main grip? Hogue, maybe?

or maybe it's best to get a set of more standard stock wood grips and simply add a blued T-grip?

Recoil is not a problem with either gun for us, so not necessarily looking for a rubberized, but that would be fine if that's the best option for either of these.

Last edited by MissiontoMars; 08-15-2017 at 9:50 AM..
Old 08-15-2017, 8:45 AM

Pretty sure the Springfield takes normal compact 1911 grips, so any set you want to try. If the current grips are G10 just take some fine sandpaper to them and knock down the edges.

For the Smith, should work with any square butt K frame grips. Hogue and Pachmayr are good options.

Old 08-15-2017, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedivision View Post
Pretty sure the Springfield takes normal compact 1911 grips, so any set you want to try. If the current grips are G10 just take some fine sandpaper to them and knock down the edges.

For the Smith, should work with any square butt K frame grips. Hogue and Pachmayr are good options.

Ok, great thanks for the info!
Old 08-15-2017, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

I know you indicated that recoil is not an issue, but Pachmayr rubber grips are great all around comfortable grips. They will fill in the space you indicated, are comfortable to shoot and absorb recoil. No down side for a range or home defense gun. I have them on all of my range guns.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...ver-grips.html

Last edited by 003; 08-15-2017 at 9:01 AM..
Old 08-15-2017, 9:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you want wood grips check out https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-gr...sson/k-square/

Also there is a Calguns member who runs a business that makes beautiful grips
https://m.facebook.com/CulinaLLC/

Quote:
pistol noun pis·tol \ˈpi-stəl\

1: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
I'm happy to help people who have specific questions, but I ignore threads that begin with the command "school me". Go "school" yourself, buddy.

Old 08-15-2017, 9:23 AM

If you're not worried about keeping it pur sang and are more concerned with shooting comfort, you'd be better off going with what the posters above have suggested. Getting wood stocks and a t-grip would be 2-3 times more expensive than a set of Pachmayrs.

Sorry, I can't help it, but in collector terms a Victory Model and Pre-Model 10 are two different things. If it has a "V" or "SV" in front of the serial number, then you've got a VM. "Pre-Model 10" refers to a specific briefly produced model with the newer short action, but before the switch to model numbers.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

Check Out My For Sale Threads
Price dropped so low on Commander I hate myself.
Old 08-15-2017, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
If you're not worried about keeping it pur sang and are more concerned with shooting comfort, you'd be better off going with what the posters above have suggested. Getting wood stocks and a t-grip would be 2-3 times more expensive than a set of Pachmayrs.

Sorry, I can't help it, but in collector terms a Victory Model and Pre-Model 10 are two different things. If it has a "V" or "SV" in front of the serial number, then you've got a VM. "Pre-Model 10" refers to a specific briefly produced model with the newer short action, but before the switch to model numbers.
Ok, sorry...I'm no expert. By your definition I guess it's a Victory Model then. V in front of the serial number. It's government marks up on the top strap have been removed but all other numbers are good to go and matching.

I've had a few folks refer to it as a "pre-model 10". So, it's just a Victory model, then, huh?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:28 AM

I know what you're saying, but it's not my definitions, it's what I've learned from hanging out on the S&W forum. I know just enough to know I don't know a lot.

Do you know for sure that there were US markings removed? Their absence is not atypical, as there were more than a few VMs made w/o any marital markings, including proofs, that went to civilian users such as factory guards, police, etc. The sales were through an entity called the Defense Supplies Corporation, so these are usually referred to as DSC guns. It might be interesting to get a history letter from S&W that can tell you when & where the gun shipped. Some DSC guns were lettered as having been sent to the OSS and the Secret Service. A bit more prosaic, but interesting for us Californians, are the ones sent out here for the shipyard and military installation guards, and the Merchant Marine. I think the letters are $75 now, if your curiosity is worth that much.

BTW the absence of an "S" means your gun has the old style hammer-block safety, which works fine as long as you keep the gun clean & oiled. It uses a sprung piece anchored in the sideplate as opposed to a block that is mechanically moved into position, so if it gets gummed up it may not travel like it should. So if you keep it loaded and it hasn't been cleaned since WWII, treat it real gentle, like a SIG.

While any S&W M&P made before the Model 10 would be correctly classified as pre-Model 10 as far as English usage goes, collectors use the term for the M&Ps made with the new action, as mentioned, in the mid/late '50s, just before the Model Numbering system took over and the revolver became the Model 10.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I know what you're saying, but it's not my definitions, it's what I've learned from hanging out on the S&W forum. I know just enough to know I don't know a lot.

Do you know for sure that there were US markings removed? Their absence is not atypical, as there were more than a few VMs made w/o any marital markings, including proofs, that went to civilian users such as factory guards, police, etc. The sales were through an entity called the Defense Supplies Corporation, so these are usually referred to as DSC guns. It might be interesting to get a history letter from S&W that can tell you when & where the gun shipped. Some DSC guns were lettered as having been sent to the OSS and the Secret Service. A bit more prosaic, but interesting for us Californians, are the ones sent out here for the shipyard and military installation guards, and the Merchant Marine. I think the letters are $75 now, if your curiosity is worth that much.

BTW the absence of an "S" means your gun has the old style hammer-block safety, which works fine as long as you keep the gun clean & oiled. It uses a sprung piece anchored in the sideplate as opposed to a block that is mechanically moved into position, so if it gets gummed up it may not travel like it should. So if you keep it loaded and it hasn't been cleaned since WWII, treat it real gentle, like a SIG.

While any S&W M&P made before the Model 10 would be correctly classified as pre-Model 10 as far as English usage goes, collectors use the term for the M&Ps made with the new action, as mentioned, in the mid/late '50s, just before the Model Numbering system took over and the revolver became the Model 10.
Good question, I am not 100% sure that the markings were removed, it's just what I was told and by looking at the gun, who's finish is fairly consistently worn, you can tell the top strap/sight grooves have had some type of machining done, due to the color difference.

Could very well be holster wear/burnishing...
Old 08-15-2017, 1:18 PM

If you don't like the finger grooves, Pachmayr Presentation grips are more like the factory target grips, but rubber. They also fill in the space behind the trigger guard.
Old 08-15-2017, 1:32 PM

I think if the stampings were machined off, there would be a very noticeable amount of material removed, as opposed to just a color change.

This DSC Victory was re-blued and otherwise slightly pimped out, most likely in the '50s based on styling cues, then after the re-blue over the factory finish, it still racked up some serious wear.

Old 08-15-2017, 8:54 PM

Mr Orange, for your reference/enjoyment:

image.jpg
Old 08-15-2017, 8:57 PM

Hard to tell on my phone if these will end up too small so, sorry if they are...lol. I'll repost if needed when i have my laptop fired up.

image.jpg
Old 08-16-2017, 1:14 AM

Thanks for posting the pics. From what I can see, the top strap doesn't look like it's had the US property stamp removed, it just looks worn. Looks like it might have the original finish, too, which even worn is a big plus. Once a VM is refinished, it's collector value is gone and it's worth what it's worth as a basic shooter.

If that's a 5 digit serial number, the ship date would be from early/mid '42; a 6 digit would be from mid/late '44. Note that in the absence of a factory letter, approximate ship dates are all we have, and even the factory can't tell you when it was made, only when it was shipped.

A big bonus for the DSC guns is that S&W shipped them to the user, so a letter will show you who received it, sometimes even mentioning a particular individual. Military guns will have records like "Shipped to Navy Depot Yada-yada in a 200 gun shipment."

For more Victory Model trivia, the guys at the S&W Forum will often refer people to This Site for a decent primer.

Old 08-16-2017, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting the pics. From what I can see, the top strap doesn't look like it's had the US property stamp removed, it just looks worn. Looks like it might have the original finish, too, which even worn is a big plus. Once a VM is refinished, it's collector value is gone and it's worth what it's worth as a basic shooter.

If that's a 5 digit serial number, the ship date would be from early/mid '42; a 6 digit would be from mid/late '44. Note that in the absence of a factory letter, approximate ship dates are all we have, and even the factory can't tell you when it was made, only when it was shipped.

A big bonus for the DSC guns is that S&W shipped them to the user, so a letter will show you who received it, sometimes even mentioning a particular individual. Military guns will have records like "Shipped to Navy Depot Yada-yada in a 200 gun shipment."

For more Victory Model trivia, the guys at the S&W Forum will often refer people to This Site for a decent primer.
It's a 6 digit.

Very cool info. I'll have to mull over the $75.00. it's honestly tempting to know more history about it.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Late '44, awesome, mine's from '45, we're practically brothers.
Can I borrow some gas money? A hundred outta do it.
C'mon, bro, you know I drive a big truck!

Old 08-16-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Late '44, awesome, mine's from '45, we're practically brothers.
Can I borrow some gas money? A hundred outta do it.
C'mon, bro, you know I drive a big truck!
Hahaha! 😂😂