Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-22-2017, 3:19 PM

Default Homebuilt semi automatic Pistol legal requirements

what does it take to build a semi automatic pistol legally in California?

I plan on making all the parts, sort of a Glock clone.

Can you direct me to the requirements or post them here?

thanks
David
San Jose, ca
Old 06-22-2017, 8:17 PM

You'd have to start with the DOJ. The pistol would have to be built IAW roster requirements, including micro-stamping and all that, and you'd have to submit it to be tested and certified by DOJ. I believe you need to submit multiple examples for testing, as well.

The major manufacturers don't want any part of that party, but maybe you can take the time & effort they don't want to expend, since you're not worried about a profit.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

Ammo!(Priced so low you'd be crazy not to buy some even if you don't own anything in these calibers!)
Old 06-22-2017, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

I think it needs to be a copy of a gun or it will be a zipgun.
Old 06-22-2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
You'd have to start with the DOJ. The pistol would have to be built IAW roster requirements, including micro-stamping and all that, and you'd have to submit it to be tested and certified by DOJ. I believe you need to submit multiple examples for testing, as well.

The major manufacturers don't want any part of that party, but maybe you can take the time & effort they don't want to expend, since you're not worried about a profit.

So your saying if someone builds say a 1911 using a 80% frame you have to send in multiples to doj for testing even though your building just one for yourself and not planning on reselling?
Old 06-22-2017, 9:03 PM

See here:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1291757
Old 06-22-2017, 9:06 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gorilla View Post
So your saying if someone builds say a 1911 using a 80% frame you have to send in multiples to doj for testing even though your building just one for yourself and not planning on reselling?
It has not been legal to build a semiautomatic pistol directly from an 80% since the roster was established.

We had a legal path under SSE until 2015, at that point, SSE changed and the build became not only single shot, but break-top bolt action.
In 2017, it is arguably not legal to convert from SSE to semiautomatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 06-22-2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
It has not been legal to build a semiautomatic pistol directly from an 80% since the roster was established.

We had a legal path under SSE until 2015, at that point, SSE changed and the build became not only single shot, but break-top bolt action.
In 2017, it is arguably not legal to convert from SSE to semiautomatic.
Thank you. I seriously am so confused with all these new laws popping up. I know ignorance of the law is no excuse but for gods sake I just can't keep up with the laws and most of the time don't even understand them.

I love guns too much to just give up on owning any but man they really get people to that point. And I'm sure that's what they want.
Old 06-23-2017, 5:53 AM

What is wrong with the people in this state?

Why in the world would you keep electing people into office that slowly carve away your rights till you have none left?

This state needs a change, it needs a enima.
Old 06-23-2017, 6:14 AM

^^^^^It needs to be Vacated if you want your life back.
Old 06-23-2017, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gorilla View Post
No, I didn't say that. I said I believe multiples are a part of the testing process. Which is completely besides the point anyway, it's the certification process itself that is onerously burdensome. If it's possible to get through the process at all, sending a dozen guns would be the least of it.

Yes, I was being a bit snarky when I said that even though there isn't a manufacturer on Earth that is willing to try it, a private individual might. Someone fantabously rich enough to have not just eff ewe money but eff The State of California money might want to pull it off just for the exercise. I'm thinking a few billion might do it.

FTR, although I don't share their view, there is a contingent that holds that all these laws re: manufacturing don't apply to home builders. They believe the definition of "manufacture" doesn't apply to building for private use, so therefore a homebuild, not made for sale, is perfectly legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguynca View Post

Why in the world would you keep electing people into office that slowly carve away your rights till you have none left?

This state needs a change, it needs a enima.
Whoa, easy there, when you say "you" and not "them". Only the spies and fifth columnists reading this have kept voting for more & more government control.

Or did you really mean the gun owners? This is something that always makes me shake my head, when folks suggest that maybe we should go to the polls and throw the rascals out.
Like, gee, thanks, nobody's ever thought of that before.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

Ammo!(Priced so low you'd be crazy not to buy some even if you don't own anything in these calibers!)
Old 06-23-2017, 6:08 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguynca View Post

"We" as conservative gun owners don't.

The problem is nearly 50% of the population lives in LA and the bay area. There is a HUGE entitlement attitude among nearly 70% of the population of the state, and they have found that they can vote themselves more "free stuff" at our expense.

Those same people providing "free stuff" are the same people who "take stuff" from the other 30% of us who work for a living.

LA City Council just voted today to GIVE 2 MILLION dollars of taxpayer funds to a legal defense fund to help illegal aliens fight Trump's deportation policies.
The council promised an additional 3 million (from their campaign funds?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 06-23-2017, 8:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here's what it takes: dimensional compliance (10 1/2" length) and single-shot functionality (break-top or bolt action). Here is an example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA Legal G-Clone.jpg (60.3 KB, 76 views)