Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 06-20-2011, 7:14 PM

Default Request for any Army recruiter

To any who may be knowledgeable about the process I have a question:

I have met with a recruiter, taken the ASVAB, gone to MEPS, and was awaiting the results as to whether or not my request for a medical waiver was approved (I had PRK corrective eye surgery).

Now, I've made my intentions known from the start that I am interested in a 11x Option 40 (Rangers) contract and from all indication from the recruiter it should be offered to me once medical clears however my recruiter is now on leave and another sergeant has taken over my "application" and he has told me that the waiver is ok'ed but since I required a medical waiver, the 11x (infantry) contract is still open but that he cannot guarantee the ranger option.

Is this true? I've been been advised by coworkers who are ex-military to not sign the contract unless it has everything I requested. My fear is if I just sign with a 11x contract sometime down the road when I try to request for Airborne/Rangers/SOF whatever it may be denied to me due to my medical waiver. Now understand that I know that getting the option 40 on my contract does not mean I automatically get to serve in the regiment it must be earned. If I gave it my all and fail then I can accept being placed in a position where the Army needs me the most but I cannot accept being denied the opportunity to try and that is all I want, a shot at serving with some of this country's finest warriors.

I am scheduled to go down tomorrow night to the MEPS and get enlisted on Wednesday and I would like another voice to chime in and perhaps either validate or disprove the info I've been told. Any help would be appreciated especially from any calgunners who currently serve as a recruiter thanks.
Old 06-21-2011, 1:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loditt View Post
To any who may be knowledgeable about the process I have a question:

I have met with a recruiter, taken the ASVAB, gone to MEPS, and was awaiting the results as to whether or not my request for a medical waiver was approved (I had PRK corrective eye surgery).

Now, I've made my intentions known from the start that I am interested in a 11x Option 40 (Rangers) contract and from all indication from the recruiter it should be offered to me once medical clears however my recruiter is now on leave and another sergeant has taken over my "application" and he has told me that the waiver is ok'ed but since I required a medical waiver, the 11x (infantry) contract is still open but that he cannot guarantee the ranger option.

Is this true? I've been been advised by coworkers who are ex-military to not sign the contract unless it has everything I requested. My fear is if I just sign with a 11x contract sometime down the road when I try to request for Airborne/Rangers/SOF whatever it may be denied to me due to my medical waiver. Now understand that I know that getting the option 40 on my contract does not mean I automatically get to serve in the regiment it must be earned. If I gave it my all and fail then I can accept being placed in a position where the Army needs me the most but I cannot accept being denied the opportunity to try and that is all I want, a shot at serving with some of this country's finest warriors.

I am scheduled to go down tomorrow night to the MEPS and get enlisted on Wednesday and I would like another voice to chime in and perhaps either validate or disprove the info I've been told. Any help would be appreciated especially from any calgunners who currently serve as a recruiter thanks.
You get what you get. No one has an interest in holding you back from doing what you want to do, you arent that importaint to your recruiter or the Army.

If you want to be a Ranger someday, then sign the contract and roll the dice. You'll NEVER be a Ranger if you never enlist.
Old 06-21-2011, 2:28 PM

I am on recruiting duty as we speak.

If it is in your contract, it will be honored. If you go 11x, you will have the best odds of landing Ranger later on down the road. But as stated above, you will never have the chance if you don't enlist, can't study that in college.

If all you want to do is get into Ranger Bat, you have to take the first steps, regardless of whether or not it is in your contract. If your recruiter says he can get it, then he probably can. Do what your gut tells you, and don't doubt your decision.

I am a guardian of freedom
and the American way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _4_ View Post
It is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.
Old 06-21-2011, 3:36 PM

Don't sign anything until you get what you want in your contract. I spent ~5 months in the delayed entry program because I wanted that same contract. Don't be afraid of exploring other MOS's as well.
Old 06-21-2011, 4:01 PM

Ill tell you that if joining is what you want to do right now, then that should be your biggest priority. Gone are the days of big bonuses and the pick of the litter on jobs... hell even infantry is hard to pick up.

I am a guardian of freedom
and the American way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _4_ View Post
It is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.
Old 06-22-2011, 4:36 AM

I agree with NoahH; don't sign something you don't want. You may get the chance to go to ranger school later on, you may not, do you really want to risk it? its harder to undue something you didn't want then to do it right the first time.
Old 06-22-2011, 8:09 AM

Thank you all for the input I'll definitely take it into consideration.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 PM

Once you get to your first duty station, you can get in contact with a Ranger recruiter and they can get you orders to RASP and Regiment if you pass.
Old 07-16-2011, 8:43 PM

I joined and with the exact contract you are looking at, the recruiter only has a certain amount of slots for certain schools they can send you to and will try and not give you the slot of they can just get you into a normal 11B slot. I say hold out and dont sign unless get what you want. As its not very easy to get a shot at RASP or RIP( when I was in).

An other way you can do it, is sign up and go to airborne school, when I went to airborne they were looking for people to go to RASP (RIP) on day 1 or airborne school.

But all in all i say you just wait and dont sign till they give you what you want.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos