Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:03 AM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

Default Bulk Ammo Storage Locker/Box?

Need to get all my ammo out of the safe since I can't fit any more guns in there.

I have some old M-60 Ammo cans but am looking for more of a locker type for all in one large quanity storage. Not really wanting to by another safe.

Looked at Cabelas and the Stack-on looks like a pile of junk.

Maybe I just need to make one??

-178S
Old 06-18-2011, 11:14 AM

Find a used job box. Knaack or similar.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default A gun storage cabinet works well

I use a locked Hmmak gun cabinet with shelves I made, Stack-on also makes them for less than $150.
Old 06-18-2011, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I picked up a pickup's cross-bed tool box with a single lid pretty cheap and put a hasp with pad lock on it. Cheap, easy to get stuff in and out. Ammo cans stack pretty well in two layers. Lay the bottom one on their side and the top layer can stand up, or just stack them all on end.
Old 06-18-2011, 3:21 PM

I just use a big ole black dresser. Works great, each drawer designated for appropriate handgun, shotgun or rifle ammo. The top doubles as a work space. I set my field ammo box on top and load up with whatever I need. Hey, it works and didn't cost me a dime.
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.
Old 06-18-2011, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Shouldn't ammo be stored in a drybox with some dessicant? I don't profess to know for sure, but that's what i heard if you want it to last a while.
my uncle lives out in lodi and has 30 year old 12g bird shot in one of his broken down sheds. It has been rained on, covered with god knows what and we were shooting it the other day without any issues.

But yes i store mine in old ammo boxes. Don't really need desiccant unless your in a very humid area. Ammo boxes are made to withstand the weather. If you toss one in a pool, the contents should stay perfectly dry due to the seal.....
Old 06-18-2011, 6:00 PM

I literally just fifteen minutes ago finished cleaning out my safe of all the ammo, mags and extra gun parts to allow me to move more rifles into it, I have an El Cheapo Homack cabinet lag bolted to the wall that contained about 8 C&R long guns, I moved the guns into the safe and I put all the ammo in my ElCheapo Homack cabinet, I need to make more shelves though, it's not nearly as organized as Psango's above.
Old 06-18-2011, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

I would look at a "gang box" or "job box"
find one that fits the budget and size you need