Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:54 AM

Default 1st time purchaser

Looking for a decent safe. Money is an issue and I live in a two story house.

1. Looking for a safe to hold maybe 8 rifles max and possibly 3 handguns. Any suggestions on brands and models. Currently just a .223 and 3 .22lr rifles, 4 OLL receivers, and a 9mm handgun.

2. Living in a two story house, is it better to bring the safe up to a room, or leave it down either in the garage or in a closet. I don't know if safes rust on the outside or not. I live in the bay area, so I think it should be fine.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:55 PM

Default Cannon Safes

Go with a Cannon. IMHO they are the best, but most are very good.

In the Bay area you might want a "goldenrod" dehumidifier, so locate the safe near a power source.

The safe should also be anchored down.

Front Sight Ambassador Member
Email me for Memberships or Certificates

TheDonger.CalGuns@gmail.com
Old 12-20-2006, 5:05 PM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Both Cannon and Browning are on top of my short list of good safes. And yes, bolt it down.
Old 12-20-2006, 6:32 PM

Sam's Club has a good deal on a Winchester safe. Its 60"x30"x22", fireproof, and has an electronic lock. You can see it at www.winchestersafes.com. The website lists it at $599, but I bought mine at Sams for $581.

My father has a Cannon C23, and its an excellent safe. Comparing the two, the Cannon C23 is 2" deeper, and the door is thicker, but he paid over $1,000, with a nice silver paint job at Dean's Safe Co. in LA.
Old 12-20-2006, 9:32 PM

I researched the hell out of this when I was looking for one. If going to invest in a safe, take a look at this company:

http://www.sturdysafe.com/minuteman.htm

They are not well known because they do not do any national marketing. But they are very helpful and inform you of their products and the competition. If anything, just reading the infomation on their site will give you good information. The drive to Fresno is worth it to view their factory and talk to the owners.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:48 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

One thought: Buy a safe that is bigger than your current collection. You will fill the space faster than you think, and a bigger safe will cost less than a second safe.
Old 12-21-2006, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatcat
I researched the hell out of this when I was looking for one. If going to invest in a safe, take a look at this company:

They are not well known because they do not do any national marketing. But they are very helpful and inform you of their products and the competition. If anything, just reading the infomation on their site will give you good information. The drive to Fresno is worth it to view their factory and talk to the owners.
wow, look at that. They spiffed up the website recently.

here's mine:
Old 12-21-2006, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

Whatever brand you will decide to go with - buy one that holds DOUBLE of the number of guns you think you need.
Bigger safe makes a HUGE diffrence in how you manage your guns. You don't want your babies scratched, do you? Especially if you will get some C&R items....

I found it hard way - now I need to sell my less than 1 year old safe and buy a new one....

BTW: Canons are really nice....
WTB: CZ452
Old 12-21-2006, 5:36 PM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

I spoke to Sturdy extensively, and I can tell you that I am not that comfortable with them. They talk about how you shouldn't believe the other's rating, but when I asked them point blank what their rating is, they had no answer. They just said "we use the best fire protection out there".
They also refused to discuss the construction of their doors. They haven't done ANY certification testing on their safes!

Of course, they do tell you that non of their safes has been broken into in the last several years but they can't back it up (they won't say how many were replaced), and they say that govt buys safes from them. But then again, all the other manufacturers say the exact same thing.

The main problem with Sturdy is that aside for driving to Fresno and getting a tour of their company, there is no way to tell what they are really worth because they dont work with dealers.

Oh, and BTW, they say they have been around for 40 or 50 years... What they mean is that their company has been around for that long - as a metal shop. They have been making safes for about 15 years - or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatcat

Old 12-22-2006, 3:35 PM

Go with the Sam's Club Wnchester safe. Its 60"x30"x22", fireproof, and has an electronic lock. and not bad price
Old 12-22-2006, 7:11 PM

Question

What's the best recommendation for a location of the safe in a house? Is a cold garage ok? I don't think any closets will fit something that's the size I need.
Old 12-22-2006, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwsergio
Go with the Sam's Club Wnchester safe. Its 60"x30"x22", fireproof, and has an electronic lock. and not bad price
I second that that seems like a smoking deal on that safe
Old 12-23-2006, 6:27 PM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextTimeAround
What's the best recommendation for a location of the safe in a house? Is a cold garage ok? I don't think any closets will fit something that's the size I need.
The place that movers are willing to bring it to, and is also most out of sight for anyone that may be at your residence. Remember, a safe is not a piece of furniture that needs to be shown in pride. Its something that no one should know you have.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:45 PM

this seems to be a pretty good resource for gun safe buying information:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
Old 12-24-2006, 5:03 AM

The only advice i can give is what some already said. Buy bigger than you need, cuz you will out grow it in no time.
I bought the Sentry one from Home Depot and it's already full and i need a bigger one. Hope my wife listened when i told her what to get me for Christmas

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 12-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex
The place that movers are willing to bring it to, and is also most out of sight for anyone that may be at your residence. Remember, a safe is not a piece of furniture that needs to be shown in pride. Its something that no one should know you have.
Right. Remember to bolt it down - if someone can deliver the safe, someone else can pick it up and take it away, with the right equipment.

Cold (or hot) garage is OK. Check for rust on your guns - condensation may be a problem, or may not.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:56 AM
In Memoriam

Liberty Safes http://www.libertysafenorcal.com/ is starting their year-end sale on the 26th. They have a wide range of prices and selection. I'm happy with one of their smaller ones that just fits into a closet. Having a local shop to check 'em out first is also nice. Reeds also carries several lines of safes and simple and cheap CA-approved locking cabinets.

-- Parag
Old 12-28-2006, 6:02 AM

Take a look at http://www.patriotsafe.com/ . They are 3/4'' steel , fire protection at 1 hour at 1880 degrees great warranty .I orderd their closet safe this week their phone is 1-877-743-5372 . I talked to a Mike Proctor who was very helpfull .

Last edited by 255peterm; 12-28-2006 at 6:42 PM..
Old 12-28-2006, 9:09 AM

Peter:

How much was shipping on the closet safe and did they bring it in the house for you?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 9:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Patriot url is wrong. To many m's in .com. Nice looking safes.

http://www.patriotsafe.com/

Jerry
Old 12-28-2006, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfull
Patriot url is wrong. To many m's in .com. Nice looking safes.

http://www.patriotsafe.com/

Jerry
Thanks Jerry Iwill fix it Pete.