Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-15-2011, 5:51 PM

Default What's needed to be a gun salesman?

I was at a pawn shop looking at guns. I heard the one guy tell another he can now sell guns, and process paper work. Something with the NRA. I never heard this before. I know the owner must have an FFL. But, the saleman need something?
Old 06-15-2011, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

In order to work at a gun store you must be able to rudely spout B.S. and FUD with a straight face and without hesitation.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 06-15-2011, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Am sure you'll be Livescan - Beyond that figure an experience in sales would help tremendously -
Old 06-15-2011, 6:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

At a local shop just know how to spread FUD and your good. Or at least that's how it seems.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 06-15-2011, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
At a local shop just know how to spread FUD and your good. Or at least that's how it seems.
lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacaville View Post
In order to work at a gun store you must be able to rudely spout B.S. and FUD with a straight face and without hesitation.
Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigon1965 View Post
Am sure you'll be Livescan - Beyond that figure an experience in sales would help tremendously -
I was just curious more than anything. I had never heard that before (required to take a class from NRA or something).
Old 06-15-2011, 6:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I am not aware of a class with the NRA - A friend was just hiring for a gun shop that he runs - Sales experience is what he's looking at more than gun knowledge -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post
I was just curious more than anything. I had never heard that before (required to take a class from NRA or something).
Old 06-15-2011, 6:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

you need a COE to work at an FFL in CA

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
Old 06-15-2011, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22 View Post
Alright, i'll bite. What's a COE?
Old 06-15-2011, 6:41 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22 View Post
No you don't. If you want to process the entire sale including the safety demo, you need to be a state certified safety instructor. To get that certification you need formal training and the NRA courses meet that requirement.

DOJ, BOF FAQ for dealers:

37. Is the Employee COE required of each employee?
No. The firearms dealer may choose whether or not to require each of his employees who has access to firearms to obtain a DOJ Employee COE. If the firearms dealer chooses not to require an Employee COE, then the employee does not need to obtain one unless he or she is required to under local licensing requirements.

(PC section 12071)
Old 06-15-2011, 6:43 PM

Quote:

+1

...and if you handle the guns, you must have a clear record: No felonies. I think you might also have to be over 18 for rifles and over 21 to handle pistols.
“The most reliable sign, the most universal behavior of unscrupulous people is not directed, as one might imagine, at our fearfulness. It is perversely, an appeal to our sympathy”
Martha Stout – “the sociopath next door”
Old 06-15-2011, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr View Post
No you don't. If you want to process the entire sale including the safety demo, you need to be a state certified safety instructor. To get that certification you need formal training and the NRA courses meet that requirement.

No. The firearms dealer may choose whether or not to require each of his employees who has access to firearms to obtain a DOJ Employee COE. If the firearms dealer chooses not to require an Employee COE, then the employee does not need to obtain one unless he or she is required to under local licensing requirements.

(PC section 12071)
That's what he was talking about then I bet.

The "firearm safety course"?
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
Old 06-15-2011, 6:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr View Post

(PC section 12071)
hmmmmmm I've always heard that COE was required.

I'll have to read up on that, always good to learn something new.

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
Old 06-15-2011, 6:47 PM

An EX car salesman will be the best qualified for the job
Old 06-15-2011, 6:49 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Electric Shock Therapy!
Old 06-15-2011, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Vacaville nailed it! Lol.

Before you can become a salesman the store puts you through a 6 months course to teach you all the FUD. Once you pass the 450 question test with a maximum 3 miss you will be certified to sell guns.
Old 06-15-2011, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
Vacaville nailed it! Lol.

Before you can become a salesman the store puts you through a 6 months course to teach you all the FUD. Once you pass the 450 question test with a maximum 3 miss you will be certified to sell guns.
Post #9 answered it. But, that's funny.
Old 06-15-2011, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Yup like others have said, you need to be able to sell FUD like no other salesman.
Old 06-15-2011, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Wow. This was exactly what I was thinking as I clicked the title to read the thread. Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 06-15-2011, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

To be a gun salesman:

1. Arrogant attitude
2. Fanboi-ism ("Why d'ya want that POS?!? Get yerself an AR/Glock/.45/Sig!")
3. Ignorance of the law ("ARs are 100% illegal - those stores sellling them are gonna get shut down - marky words!")
4. Ability to profile people and refuse to help them if they don't meet certain criteria.
Old 06-15-2011, 9:50 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post
I was at a pawn shop looking at guns. I heard the one guy tell another he can now sell guns, and process paper work. Something with the NRA. I never heard this before. I know the owner must have an FFL. But, the saleman need something?
The only thing between some gun salesman and some car and real estate salesmen is that the gun guy isn't the one wearing the god awful blazer.

There's a responsible party on the FFL, but the sales reps in many cases do all the work. I've heard more weird FUD from gun sales than I have in used car sales. One of the best ones is that you can't do a 4473 in blue ink - lest ATF fine the dealer. (They can't do that!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Hunter View Post
+1

...and if you handle the guns, you must have a clear record: No felonies. I think you might also have to be over 18 for rifles and over 21 to handle pistols.
Is this a CA-State specific issue or Federal? Federal law has no limitations of age on handling of firearms. I know of 10 year olds that work the counter and do call ins.