Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-15-2011, 4:55 PM
Veteran Member

Default HJ Sterling Double Barrel Shotgun

Hey, anyone know anything about H.J.Sterling Double barrel shotguns? I know the value on this is real low, but im more interested in dating it, etc.

Its got two numbers 10582 and 570 on the reciever and barrel. It has a crap load of proof marks (seepic below, not this shotgun but it looks identical from what i can tell).

It also says "Belgian Laminated Steel" on the top of the barrel as well as "Choke Bored"

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by MP301; 06-16-2011 at 8:40 AM..
Old 06-15-2011, 8:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The bottom proof mark, ELG with crown, is a Belgian black powder proof mark since 1893. The cursive EL is a provision black powder proof mark.
Take a look these two sites

http://www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com...Proofmarks.pdf

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

Post some pictures of the shotgun.
There is one at auction arms
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...emnum=10279793 you could view for comparison.
Old 06-16-2011, 1:21 AM

Your H.J. Sterling was made in Belgium, circa 1895.
Old 06-16-2011, 4:06 AM

Being it is that old and laminated steel [Damascus] barrels I would not shoot it intil it was checked out by a very qualified gun smith and then with very weak loads.
Old 06-16-2011, 4:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP301 View Post

It also says "Belgian Laminted Steel" on the top of the barrel as well as "Choke Bored"

It says its Belgian Laminted Steel? Its priceless if it says that.
Old 06-16-2011, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brd_Hntr View Post
The bottom proof mark, ELG with crown, is a Belgian black powder proof mark since 1893. The cursive EL is a provision black powder proof mark.
Take a look these two sites

http://www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com/archives/Proofmarks.pdf

http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

Post some pictures of the shotgun.
There is one at auction arms
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10279793 you could view for comparison.
Wow, great resources here. Thanks! The one in the link looks exactly the same as the one I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Your H.J. Sterling was made in Belgium, circa 1895.
1895? Nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEZHEAD265 View Post
Being it is that old and laminated steel [Damascus] barrels I would not shoot it intil it was checked out by a very qualified gun smith and then with very weak loads.
So, Laminated and Damascus are one in the same? And i take it that If i were to shoot it, I would need to load up some black powder shells? In other words, if it were in good enough shape to shoot, could I safely shoot something commeercial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic View Post
It says its Belgian Laminted Steel? Its priceless if it says that.
Old 06-16-2011, 8:41 PM

Midway USA has Gamebore 2 1/2 blackpowder loads #6 shot but it's real expenseive 36 bucks a box.Check Gamebore's sight to see if they have any or better to reload your self.
Old 06-17-2011, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEZHEAD265 View Post
Midway USA has Gamebore 2 1/2 blackpowder loads #6 shot but it's real expenseive 36 bucks a box.Check Gamebore's sight to see if they have any or better to reload your self.
Ha, I found some 7.5 for $22.99 so far.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=513418

My buddy seems to think that I could probably get away with shooting a modern commercial round if I use the high brass, but I wonder if he is willing to be the test shooter! HA!

Last edited by MP301; 06-17-2011 at 7:37 AM..
Old 06-19-2011, 6:24 AM

Check to see if your gun is chambered for 2 3/4 it might be smaller.The ones I said was 36 bucks were 2 1/2.
Old 06-19-2011, 8:24 AM

Location: Seal Beach (90740) Just south of Long Beach, in Orange County.

If that gun was really made in 1895, there is about zero chance it was made with a standard 2 3/4" American chamber. The standard 12 guage shells in those days were either 2 1/2" or 2 5/8" chamber. You need to actually have a qualified gunsmith measure the chamber with a chamber gage because a 2 1/2" chamber WILL accept an unfired 2 3/4" cartridge. If there is a 65 or 67 or 70 stamped anywhere on those barrels, that would be the chamber length in millimeters (2 1/2 or 2 5/8 or 2 3/4 inches).

Shooting any overlength cartridge in a short chamber jacks up the pressure some. People get away with it all the time in modern overproofed guns. This gun isn't modern, nor over-engineered. Not a gun to experiment with if you need your eyes and hands.

I'd clean it up and hang it up, or sell it as an antique (if it was really made in '95, you can ship it anywhere to anybody who can prove they're 21 without further paperwork) and take the $$ and get a modern shotgun. (Just my opinion, and you know what those are like!).
Old 06-19-2011, 9:26 AM

Sounds like a wall hanger, but if you really want to shoot it with modern loads, I believe Briley makes full length sleeves for the next guage down. So if is a 12 gauge, you could have them sleeve it to a 16 gauge or maybe a 20. No flies on the 16, BTW, its a great gauge that is overlooked because of the 3" 20's. Depending on your reasons for wanting to shoot the gun and how much you'd shoot it, it may be a reasonable solution.