Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-15-2011, 3:42 PM

Default Possum Hollow Kwick case trimmer, any on

This:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=127743

Does anyone have experience with this trimmer?

Why is everything I want at midway out of stock?
Old 06-15-2011, 3:43 PM

Sorry about the title getting cut off.

I should note that I'm not going for extreme accuracy in case length, but speed in trimming.
Old 06-15-2011, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

I hear they save time but they are OOS everywhere. They gauge on the case neck rather than OAL.
Old 06-15-2011, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
I hear they save time but they are OOS everywhere. They gauge on the case neck rather than OAL.
My main concern was that they measure from the neck. If they are this hard to get they must be pretty good.
Old 06-15-2011, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

I love mine. Buy the power adaptor so you can spin it in a cordless drill. A mild pain in the *** to set set up. The adjustment is just a set screw so you loosen it, guestimate how much to slide the cutter, then lock it back down. Then try it, measure, and adjust untill its good.
Old 06-15-2011, 8:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

works better than the lee

buy the power adapter it works with the deburing tool i use(lyman)
Old 06-15-2011, 8:14 PM

I have this trimmer for .308 Win. Works great, never had any issues with it. As others have said, and will continue to say, get the power adapter that goes with it. Otherwise, your arms will get very very tired from turning brass.
Old 06-15-2011, 8:18 PM

They work fine. Big yes power adapter.

Sent them an email direct. i was able to get them quicker from them than going through Midway.
Old 06-15-2011, 8:26 PM

It made my 223 REM blasting ammo alot easier. BUT...
I would not get part with my Wilson or Redding.

LGB

John 3:16
Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 PM

Was definitely going to get the power adapter, and use it with a deburing tool. Sounds like a good buy.

Does anyone know where I can get one?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblack583 View Post
They work fine. Big yes power adapter.

Sent them an email direct. i was able to get them quicker from them than going through Midway.
I will have to shoot them an email. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

decided i will get one later and picked up the hornady lathe trimmer for now. Seems like it would be good to have both.
Old 06-16-2011, 6:00 PM

Quote:
decided i will get one later and picked up the hornady lathe trimmer for now. Seems like it would be good to have both.
I was eventually going to get a lathe trimmer also to trim .308 which I would want in order to get an accurate trim length. The Hornady lathe was the one I was looking at too.

And as my luck would have it midway is also out Hornady shellholders.

Im sure after trimming .223 on a lathe trimmer I will appreciate the possum hollow trimmer that much more when I finally do get it.

Side question, does anyone know if Lee shellholders will work with the Hornady Lathe?

I'm guessing no.

Last edited by Arcaporale; 06-16-2011 at 6:02 PM..
Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcaporale View Post
I was eventually going to get a lathe trimmer also to trim .308 which I would want in order to get an accurate trim length. The Hornady lathe was the one I was looking at too.

And as my luck would have it midway is also out Hornady shellholders.

Im sure after trimming .223 on a lathe trimmer I will appreciate the possum hollow trimmer that much more when I finally do get it.

Side question, does anyone know if Lee shellholders will work with the Hornady Lathe?

I'm guessing no.
I doubt it, but you could always order them elsewhere. I already have the hornady shellholders, now I need to send out the paperwork to get some free bullets Can't wait till it gets here!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:06 AM

Yep, used one to trim about 2k pieces of LC .223 brass. Works great. Definitely get the power adapter for it and you'll be trimming with ease. BTW, you can use the power adapter with many chamfering/deburring tools. I got it to work with my Forster tool quite well.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
They gauge on the case neck rather than OAL.
Anybody know which method is preferable and why?

In other words, is it better to index off the shoulder, or off the case head/OAL?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
Anybody know which method is preferable and why?

In other words, is it better to index off the shoulder, or off the case head/OAL?

Thanks.
Speaking with no experience reloading but just based on the little knowledge I have, I would have to say the trimming from the head is better in terms of a consistent trim length. When one trims cases they trim to bring the case down to an acceptable OAL, and thats what you measure for.

With trimmers that trim by indexing from the shoulder, the trim is only going to be consistent assuming the shoulder to head lengths are all exactly the same, which they may not be. Or in other words with a shoulder indexing trimmer you will only get a consistent shoulder length, not necessarily a consistent overall length.

So, to answer your question for bulk trimming a shoulder indexing trimmer will give you more speed, but for making small batches of super consistent loads you would probably want to stick with the lathe type trimmer.

Again I have no experience reloading, yet. But I have read through a reloading manual and been occupying a lot of my free time learning about reloading. So please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Arcaporale; 07-07-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Old 07-07-2011, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Speaking with no experience reloading but just based on the little knowledge I have, I would have to say the trimming from the head is better in terms of a consistent trim length. When one trims cases they trim to bring the case down to an acceptable OAL, and thats what you measure for.

With trimmers that trim by indexing from the shoulder, the trim is only going to be consistent assuming the shoulder to head lengths are all exactly the same, which they may not be. Or in other words with a shoulder indexing trimmer you will only get a consistent shoulder length, not necessarily a consistent overall length.

So, to answer your question for bulk trimming a shoulder indexing trimmer will give you more speed, but for making small batches of super consistent loads you would probably want to stick with the lathe type trimmer.

Again I have no experience reloading, yet. But I have read through a reloading manual and been occupying a lot of my free time learning about reloading. So please correct me if I am wrong.
Been enjoying my lathe trimmer but maybe I will eventually get the power adapter for it. I would imagine that a consistent OAL will give you more consistent bullet seating depths.
Old 07-07-2011, 1:57 PM

Quote:

Bottle-neck rifle cases index in the chamber on the case shoulder NOT the case head. Therefore OAL (as far as bullet jump to barrel leade distance goes) will be more uniform when cases are trimmed with a shoulder indexing trimmer. The trimming is done after re-sizing so case shoulders are already uniformed. This means that distance from shoulder to barrel leade will be much more consistent when trimmed this way.

That's the true end of this story
Old 07-07-2011, 2:03 PM

FWIW, I all the brass I used the PH trimmer on was once-fired LC that I full-resized and swaged before trimming. Sample measurements of OAL after trimming were consistent within .001-.002". This brass is used only in my Saiga, so accuracy is not paramount.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member

What Geoff said +1
Old 07-08-2011, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Speaking with no experience reloading but just based on the little knowledge I have, I would have to say the trimming from the head is better in terms of a consistent trim length...
I was thinking that too, for the same reasons as you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffLinder View Post
Bottle-neck rifle cases index in the chamber on the case shoulder NOT the case head. Therefore OAL (as far as bullet jump to barrel leade distance goes) will be more uniform when cases are trimmed with a shoulder indexing trimmer. The trimming is done after re-sizing so case shoulders are already uniformed. This means that distance from shoulder to barrel leade will be much more consistent when trimmed this way.

That's the true end of this story
Interesting, that seals the deal for me then. Possum Hill here I come.

I've been using Lee trim tools that index off the head, thinking they must be giving me better trims because they are OAL-based. I'll be ordering the Possum Hill tools shortly. (The Lee tools are a PIA to use anyway, even with their power tool adapter).

Thanks for the input from both of you. I always prefer answers like these, where the person describes their reasoning, because it teaches you to think through the different issues that are involved.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got one last month from a place called Gunstop on the net. They were in stock and shipped right away. I think they are in minnesota or somewhere like that. Works great incidentally. Use a new piece of brass you've measured to set it up the first time.

http://www.gunstop.com/Store/Reloadi...w-Products-Inc
Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 PM

Just ordered 2 from Gunstop.com....in the mail today.
Possum Holler is on vacation so any calls to them is going to be unanswered....
Ooh Rah- 1969-1978
Old 07-11-2011, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

Any of you trimming 223 on the PH, do any of the cases ever come out shorter than 1.750? I have a ton of once fired brass is shorter than 1.750" and I have just been chucking it into the do not use bin. But I'm using a lathe style trimmer to get them all to exactly 1.750".
Old 07-11-2011, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Any of you trimming 223 on the PH, do any of the cases ever come out shorter than 1.750?
Not yet, but I've only done a few hundred. There may have been a few that came out to 1.748 or 1.749 but I think I was pushing a little hard into the bit.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 PM

Just tried mine today and out of the box it trimmed to 1.753. This thing is awesome, the power adapter is a must have, sadly it doesn't fit my lee deburring tool like I thought it would.
Old 07-12-2011, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Any of you trimming 223 on the PH, do any of the cases ever come out shorter than 1.750? I have a ton of once fired brass is shorter than 1.750" and I have just been chucking it into the do not use bin. But I'm using a lathe style trimmer to get them all to exactly 1.750".
I have used it on 30.06. it was not very consistent and had lots of short cases. There must be some kind of trick to getting consistent cases. If I did not press down hard they came out long. If I pressed down hard they came out short. Waaay short!!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Dunno, I just did 1000 .223, It was adjusted out of the box to 1.752 approximately, when I measured it. It trimmed all 1000 to that length within the limits of my calipers to detect it, without a problem. I just put it in, held it firmly but without really pushing, and pulled the trigger, boom.