Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 06-14-2011, 1:31 PM

Default AAR - Falcon Security Group Tac Pistol 2 WITH GOPRO HELMETCAM VIDEOS

FALCON SECURITY GROUP - AAR TACTICAL PISTOL II

Just to preface this AAR with the proper credits, I have copied the format of fellow Falcon student "BMWguy206" because his AARs are so well written.

JUNE 11th – 12th, 2011
0830hrs - 1730hrs
RAAHAUGE’S SHOOTING ENTERPRISE - CORONA, CA
BY: M.LEWIS “STASH”

Falcon Instructors: “Voodoo”, “Hollywood”, and “Intern”, plus Babushka and Brett shot with us as students
Number of students: 14 on Saturday and 12 on Sunday

Like prior courses I have taken with Falcon, I attended this class for a 2nd time to continue fine-tuning my skills and hopefully to take them to the next level. Additionally, this was my first pistol course shooting with a Glock 17, as all prior courses were shot with a Sig Sauer SP2022 or P226R. My reasoning behind this decision as well as a write-up on my new Anson Beck stippled Glock are here on CalGuns: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=442257

Day 1

I actually had to play hockey at 0900, so I arrived late to Falcon around 1130. By the time I got dressed, I got to run 2 drills before they broke for lunch around 1200. Before we broke, I shot one of the drills on my back with the contact in front of me (through the legs/knees), then we shot from some crazy upside-down position, as if you fell onto your back and the contact was from behind and over your head. That was probably one of the most difficult positions I have ever shot from. But, is it realistic that I could possibly confront a bad-guy in that position someday? Sure, anything can happen! As Chris Costa likes to say, and as BMWguy206 tends to remind us, “Amateurs train until they get it right, professionals train until they get it wrong.”.

Once we broke for lunch, I had a chance to meet some of my fellow students. One of them was from CalGuns and had been shooting with Falcon before, but not for a while. It was great to put a face to the name! About 7 or 8 others were people I have recently shot with at other Falcon classes (pistol and rifle), so it was nice to see them again. The rest were people I did not know, but had shooting experience elsewhere, and were very easy to get along with.

The weapons people used varied, but most were shooting Glocks or 1911s. One Marine was shooting his Beretta M9. About of the students were some type of LEO or Military while the rest seemed to be hobby shooters. A very good mix. It is great to see the LEOs out there getting more training… even if their departments don’t pay them crap for it.

After lunch, we continued training. I did not do a very good job at remembering what drills we shot, but almost all of the 2nd half of day 1 was focused on some type of movement drills to prepare us for team training on day 2. We did the usual shooting on the move, shooting at different levels (standing, kneeling, supine, and back to standing). Don’t forget to call out “coming up!” and scan your sector before changing levels, or else you are likely to get a golf ball thrown at you, or in the real world, simply take a round to the back of the head.

After shooting at levels, we did some shooting in response… as in you are just standing there and something happens, then you must respond by returning fire. It can be as simple as a gunshot, or even one of your fellow students just randomly turning around to engage a target behind him, and you have to provide cover fire. These drills are good for “thinking outside of the box” as they say, because you are not just focused on being told when to shoot, they force you to make a decision as to when you should respond and shoot.

Day 1 ended with a few timed drills, namely the “box drill” (see video below), then range cleanup.

Bonus recommendation, if you are staying in the Corona area and want great food and cute waitresses, go to Mill Creek just off the 91 freeway at Lincoln Ave.

Day 2

As always, we start day 2 with the same safety brief as day 1, and then move on to DEA dot warm-ups and some different distances. We then quickly moved through many many drills all day long, but I was so tired that I cannot remember them all. What I can remember is that they broke us off into 2 teams of 6 and we ran a bunch of team movements together. Here are some highlights of the day:
  • Shooting as 2 person teams moving to 3 different stations utilizing communication “moving/move”, “coming up/up”, “cover/covering/up” and tactical reloads
  • Close guard/close quarters reaction and shooting from the hip
  • Shooting 1 handed with both weapons hand and reaction hand
  • Clearing malfunctions 1 handed with both weapons hand and reaction hand
  • Shooting from a static stack
  • Shooting from a stack moving forward and backward
  • Shooting from a stack when the front person has been hit. At this point, we went over how to med-evac the injured person while providing cover fire
  • Obstacle course (see helmet cam video)
  • Competition: Shooting steel from 20 yards and moving backwards until you missed. I missed at about 35 yards, and I think the last person standing (Matt) made it to about 50-60 yards.
  • Competition: Modified El Presidente
  • Competition: I forget the name, but it's 2 to a 3x5" index card, then a mag change, then 4 to a 10" paper plate, all at 7 yards.

CONCLUSION:

As always, the Falcon has offered me AND DELIVERED the following:
  • Excellent instructor/student ratio, 5 Falcon employees to 13 students (less than 1:3 ratio)
  • Excellent, knowledgeable, dynamic instructors who have “been there, done that” and can shoot as well as they teach
  • A great group of students who come willing to learn and be safe
  • A very safe atmosphere overall, great safety brief, great med-evac plan
  • Drills and instruction that apply to both civilians and LEOs in real-world situations
  • Lots of shooting rounds down-range, very little down time besides breaks
  • Enough pressure to push you to the next level, yet maintaining a pace that is appropriate to all students
  • Timed drills to entice friendly competition amongst students

Quotes and highlights of the weekend:
  • “At first I thought you guys were gods. Then, I thought you were saints. Now, if you can’t keep up with your students, I am not taking another class.” - A beloved Falcon student joking about the students being taught to shoot so well that we are starting to get as good as the instructors.
  • “Did you get that Stash?!” – Voodoo once again requesting video of Hollywood in rare form.
  • “It’s not a vagina” – Voodoo commenting on one student’s grip issues.
  • “Doesn’t he look like the meat between two pieces of bread?” – Instructor Jeff “Intern” Reeves commenting on our “nuts to butts” positioning.
  • “Not a good idea to spend 6 hours drinking with the instructors the night before class” - Hollywood
  • “Oh s**t, I got it!” – Hollywood interrupting Voodoo teaching class because he shot his 2nd fly of the day from 3 yards.
  • “OOOKAYYY!” – Matt “Babushka/Russian Bear” covering all 5 of his teammates during a check drill. The problem was that not all of us are supposed to “check” at the same time… whoopsy!
  • “Don’t laugh at me if I can’t demonstrate this, I’ve been drinking”. Russian demonstrating his throwing spears at 9am in the morning.
  • “Don’t try to video Razor, he’ll just show up as a blur on your camera”
  • Don’t buy “cheap” 1911’s or use old magazines, they fail a LOT.
  • Don’t shoot with a government issued M9, they fail a LOT.

Newly implemented official Voodoo-issued callsigns:
  • Razor
  • D2
Previously issued callsigns:
  • Dynamics
  • Warface
  • Angry Baby
  • Froggy
  • Stash
  • Rudolfo
(Hey guys, if you have an official Voodoo-issued callsign and I forgot to list it, PM me!)

Links to other reviews and AARs:

Last edited by lewisracing; 06-14-2011 at 6:40 PM..
Old 06-14-2011, 1:31 PM

DAY #1 - VIDEOS AND PHOTOS (sorry no helmet cam on day 1)

Turning drills and response drills with the "Chris Costa incident":

Voodoo explains the speed drill at the end of day 1 (sorry, I did not record any shooting here, just the instructions):

If anyone wants your times from day 1, here they are:

Last edited by lewisracing; 06-14-2011 at 1:45 PM..
Old 06-14-2011, 1:32 PM

DAY #2 - VIDEOS AND PHOTOS

Hollywood and Voodoo demonstrate "close guard" and the timing involved:

Voodoo demonstrates close guard shooting steps:

Hollywood demonstrating the initial steps of shooting one-handed:

Falcon instructors demonstrating shooting from a stack:

Photo of our group going over obstacle course times near the end of day 2:

Obstacle course times for the end of day 2 for both teams Alpha and Bravo:

Last edited by lewisracing; 06-14-2011 at 2:56 PM..
Old 06-14-2011, 1:47 PM

GoPro HELMET CAM VIDEOS

Two man movement under cover:

Team serpentine drill:

Team stacked retreat drill:

Team obstacle course:

Team timed event #1:

Team timed event #2:

Last edited by lewisracing; 06-14-2011 at 6:47 PM..
Old 06-14-2011, 6:07 PM

This was my third TP II class with Falcon and they're all different and you always learn new nuances, drills and end up further polishing your skills and eliminating the rust. Great group of instructors (3-5) as usual and a fun bunch of students (12-13). Many I knew personally and was glad they could show up, learn and have a blast. We only used up about 765-800 rounds (I checked with two others) for the two days. No doubt, a great course to repeat as often as possible. Liked that new FAST drill (7 yards, 2 rounds to a 3x5" index card, slide lock reload and 4 rounds to an 8" paper plate). We did this a total of three times throughout the two days and everyone improved with some substantially.

PS -- Thanks Stash for the photos and video clips.
Old 06-14-2011, 6:41 PM

Helmet cam videos now posted...

Thanks for the round count Ramzar, I wasn't counting. Great shooting with you again!

Bonus footage of a moving drill with Babushka covering 5 of us during check drills at the end:

Last edited by lewisracing; 06-15-2011 at 8:25 AM..
Old 06-15-2011, 7:42 AM

It was a great class... enjoyed shooting with you again Stash.

Gabe
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Calguns Addict

great AAR, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-16-2011, 9:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Outstanding AAR Stash! Looks like Voodoo just updated the 2011 schedule WOO HOO! Time to register for some classes.

Old 06-16-2011, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWguy206 View Post
Outstanding AAR Stash! Looks like Voodoo just updated the 2011 schedule WOO HOO! Time to register for some classes.
Wow, good timing, I just checked earlier today and it wasn't there. Yay!

I expect to see you at MANY of those courses Caldito!