Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-14-2011, 7:37 AM

Default 9th Circuit Orders Alameda to file Brief in Nordyke

The Ninth Circuit issued an order on June 13, 2011 directing the Appellees (Alameda County) to file a response to the Nordykes' Petition for Rehearing and Petition for Rehearing En Banc. That response is due within 21 days of the June 13, 2011 Order.

The only absolutely safe conclusion that can be drawn is the Petition for Rehearing and Petition for Rehearing En Banc was not summarily denied.

If pushed to venture a speculative assessment of this development, it may (emphasis on may) mean that the May 2, 2011 opinion will be modified.

If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.

Unconsciously borrowed from: "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it." — Judge Learned Hand

NONE of my posts on this website are legal advice.
I get the top bunk.
Old 06-14-2011, 7:39 AM
Calguns Addict

+1
Old 06-14-2011, 7:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Really fascinating! Thank you for the update!
Old 06-14-2011, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

I'm glad that you and the Nordykes have taken on this task. If it had been me, I would have been over it a long time ago.
Speaking about the destruction of the United States. "I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves must be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all times, or die by suicide. Abraham Lincoln Speech at Edwardsville, IL, September 11, 1858

Godwin's law

Last edited by The Shadow; 06-14-2011 at 8:22 AM..
Old 06-14-2011, 7:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Let's hope for the best.
Old 06-14-2011, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Arma View Post
If pushed to venture a speculative assessment of this development, it may (emphasis on may) mean that the May 2, 2011 opinion will be modified.
Is this possible without an en banc hearing that a panel could make that modification, and has this happened with other cases before?

**ETA**

Quote:
Petition for Rehearing and Petition for Rehearing En Banc
I always thought that anything reheard in the courts would have to automatically be reheard by an en banc panel?

Otherwise...

Erik.

Last edited by Window_Seat; 06-14-2011 at 8:13 AM..
Old 06-14-2011, 9:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I hope someday to buy the Nordykes and yourself a tall cold one. It takes a great deal of persistence and dedication to keep fighting. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2011, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
Is this possible without an en banc hearing that a panel could make that modification, and has this happened with other cases before?

I always thought that anything reheard in the courts would have to automatically be reheard by an en banc panel?

Otherwise...

Erik.

There are technically two petitions pending: (1) rehearing before the same panel, and (2) rehearing en banc.

Either one can be decided without further briefing, depending on what the Court wants to do. Most petitions for either kind of rehearing result in summary denial. Minor amendments to the opinion might be handled summarily without further briefing. Substantive changes usually don't happen without giving both sides an opportunity to have a say, which can include anything from: asking the other side to file a response (that is what happened here) up to granting a rehearing and/or rehearing en banc and ordering another round of briefs.

Or the Court might reconsider its opinion in light of what the County files and still deny both or either petition.

The only thing we can say with any certitude is that we are going into extra innings here in the Ninth Circuit before moving up to SCOTUS or back down to the trial court.

If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.

Unconsciously borrowed from: "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it." — Judge Learned Hand

I get the top bunk.
Old 06-14-2011, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

I seriously hope this gets modified because after readying that decision, my hope for Peña and other 2A cases being successful went down the drain. The decision seems to include so much ammunition for the antis to use in future cases.
Old 06-14-2011, 9:46 AM
Calguns Addict

I see it as a dare.

If an en banc doesn't clean it up, it creates a circuit split and that would give it a really great chance of getting to SCOTUS.

If the three judge panel had given us a good decision with strict scrutiny as the standard, the en banc (which would be called) would probably say the ban does not withstand intermediate scrutiny and leave us stuck with that until we get another case that can force that through.

I'm very optimistic about this but we might not get our big win for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 06-14-2011, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Glad to hear. I really get upset over, what I see as, the political gerrymandering by justices in this case. I really want to thank the Nordykes, Donald Kilmer and all the Attorney's and law firms fighting for them on this case. Go get em.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Sadly, I suspect this is little more than a plan to burn up Don's time and money and keep it out of SCOTUS until it can be mooted. It would be better for CA9 if someone else is the sacrificial lamb in this case, they don't really want a big 2A case overturned.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM

Don, Thank you for keeping us all in the loop.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Sadly, I suspect this is little more than a plan to burn up Don's time and money and keep it out of SCOTUS until it can be mooted. It would be better for CA9 if someone else is the sacrificial lamb in this case, they don't really want a big 2A case overturned.
Maybe. Maybe not. Besides, my time has already been 'burned' and if anyone cares to notice, our litigation strategy is taken from a page of that great WWII General Anthony McAuliffe, when asked to surrender by the Germans who surrounded his position during the Seige of Bastogne, and he replied: "Nuts."

I get the top bunk.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Maybe. Maybe not. Besides, my time has already been 'burned' and if anyone cares to notice, our litigation strategy is taken from a page of that great WWII General Anthony McAuliffe, when asked to surrender by the Germans who surrounded his position during the Seige of Bastogne, and he replied: "Nuts."
Maybe you nick name should be the Bull Dog. I would say Bastard of Bastogne, but it doesn't work.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 06-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yup, and skill and determination won the day. Y'all have shown that you've got the skill and determination as well. With a little break you'll win a great victory for us all.

I think I'll still have to be a little patient, however. . .

BTW, as a non-lawyer and a non-courtwatcher, my assumption is that the 9th Circuit views the petition for re-hearing to be quite persuasive and they're trying to find an excuse to turn down the request.

The delay is frustrating, but I think the odds of getting to SCOTUS in the foreseeable future are pretty decent.

Even if I'm all wrong about how things will go in the future - I'm incredibly impressed by what you and the Nordykes have done.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

"A man that eloquent has to be saved!" ~ Patton
"Over-sentimentality, over-softness, in fact washiness and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people. Unless we keep the barbarian virtue, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote:
Would you people please stop bashing "Elmer Fudd?" After all, he was an avid sportsman, hunter, and 2a supporter. -Ed in Sac
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 06-14-2011, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I have no doubt that you will persevere and succeed. I just wish it didn't feel like the courts were working against you so hard. It would be nice if your only enemy in this fight was Alameda and not Alameda and the 9th Federal Circuit. (I am sure you cannot say that, but I can.)
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 06-14-2011, 8:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTDIRT4U View Post
"A man that eloquent has to be saved!" ~ Patton
Or keep his case alive long enough for the legal environment to improve to the point he can win!

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 06-14-2011, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Or keep his case alive long enough for the legal environment to improve to the point he can win!

-Gene
Without any delusions of grandeur, Scott filed his second case claiming emancipation in 1853. SCOTUS handed down Scott v Sanford in 1857. Unfortunately Mr. Scott died in 1858 taking the loss to his grave. Imagine if he had lived to see the ratification of the Constitutional Amendment (XIV) in 1868 that vindicated him and overruled that blight upon the Court.

Mr. Scott is my inspiration to keep plugging away at Nordyke.

I get the top bunk.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
One of the advantages of being surrounded is that you have the liberty of attacking in any direction.

(stolen from a Marine whose name I can't think of right now)

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 06-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
One of the advantages of being surrounded is that you have the liberty of attacking in any direction.

And the ability to continue to hold annual Nordyke dinners!

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

BINGHAM!

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 06-14-2011, 11:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
BINGHAM!
****er.

Now, where's my CGF shotglass?

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
****er.

BINGHAM

Burp.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
BINGHAM

Burp.

-Gene
I have a hearing tomorrow. We are NOT DOING THIS TONIGHT DAMMIT.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Chesty Puller

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesty_Puller

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=9EOeSVDGkb4
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 06-15-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post

(Hic!)
Old 06-15-2011, 4:09 AM

Quote:
BINGHAM!
I count several BINGHAMs. I am ready for a chaser.

I get the top bunk.
Old 06-15-2011, 4:31 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

Chesty Puller at the Chosin Resivoir during the Korean war. Semper Fidelis!

http://www.5arrowstactical.com/
Follow us on Twitter here. YouTube channel available here. Like us on Facebook here. and on Instagram here.
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor / NRA Personal Protection (Inside & Outside) the Home Instructor / Metallic & Shotgun Reloading / Range Safety Officer
UT / FL / VA / OR / AZ CCW Instructor
Semper Fidelis to all my fellow and former Marines!
Ps 144:1
Old 06-15-2011, 5:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Thank you for fighting this epic battle.

Sorry for the thread jack, but thank you for this also. http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=417935

Is there any insight you can safely speak of regarding Enos v Holder? The courts move so slow to us laymen and the wait is agonizing.
Old 06-15-2011, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
Thank you for fighting this epic battle.

Sorry for the thread jack, but thank you for this also. http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=417935

Is there any insight you can safely speak of regarding Enos v Holder? The courts move so slow to us laymen and the wait is agonizing.
Still waiting for Court's ruling on govt's motion to dismiss.

I get the top bunk.
Old 06-15-2011, 7:14 AM

Quote:

General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller

“Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can” Samual Adams
Old 06-15-2011, 8:27 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder if Alameda is sorry they started this fight.

Proud to belong to the NRA Members' Council of Santa Clara County

Disclaimer: All opinions are entirely my own.
Old 06-15-2011, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

Default "Sensitive Zones".

Seems to me one of the issues is the "sensitive zone" issue.

The "Sensitive Zone" issue IMHO doesn't just substantially burden the right of self defense, it eliminates it.

As such, any area IMHO that is declared a "Sensitive Zone" must have a "compelling public interest" that it requires suspension in that zone of a person's fundamental right.

I haven't heard anyone put forth arguments for setting "criteria" for a sensitive zone. Perhaps this is where we could go.

So, here are Nicki criteria.

1. What in the "sensitive zone" is so "sensitive" that it requires suspension of a person's fundamental right of self defense when they are in the zone?

Is this zone a 24/7/365 zone or is it limited hours?

2. Is this zone marked so that someone with arms just can't walk into it inadvertently.

This zone needs to be kept to a minimum in size.

Does this zone include private property that the owners get to keep arms themselves? If so, why?

3. Does the zone have security to screen all those who enter the zone to ensure that arms are not brought in?

4. In the event that the security zone is breached by armed individuals, does the zone have a armed security force immediately available to deal with those armed intruders?

Does the fairgrounds ever have events with anything that causing injuries or deaths in society. Things like CAR SHOWS, Knives or swords, sporting goods like ski, sky diving etc. Maybe a equal protection angle?

Who was on the county board of supervisors when this whole case started?

Perhaps this could give a clue, especially if they went on to higher office and sponsored gun legislation.

Nicki
Old 06-15-2011, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Nicki:

I like your logic.

I'd also note that if vehicles are used then it is not a sensitive place. A 2 ton vehicle (at least in some contexts) is far more deadly than is my Glock.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I wonder if Alameda is sorry they started this fight
Thus far there haven't been any consequences to them, at least none that hurt bad enough for them to change their ways.
Old 06-15-2011, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem!"
CHESTY PULLER, USMC

...... you cant have no idea how little I care "

Monte (Tom Selleck) - 'Monte Walsh'

"It's not always being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger--and I won't."

John Wayne as John Bernard (J. B.) Books in The Shootist
Old 06-16-2011, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki View Post
Seems to me one of the issues is the "sensitive zone" issue.

The "Sensitive Zone" issue IMHO doesn't just substantially burden the right of self defense, it eliminates it.

As such, any area IMHO that is declared a "Sensitive Zone" must have a "compelling public interest" that it requires suspension in that zone of a person's fundamental right.

I haven't heard anyone put forth arguments for setting "criteria" for a sensitive zone. Perhaps this is where we could go.

So, here are Nicki criteria.

Nicki
Nice.

I think we could simplify the whole situation considerably with one simple rule: "When exercising authority over of the right to self-defense, the government must accept responsibility for the outcome."

This is an offshoot of the most simple rule I use in my life: "Responsibility must come with authority. Authority must take responsibility. If ever you are offered responsibility without authority, turn it down. If ever you are given authority without responsibility, be exceptionally fearful."

I think this approach melds into existing jurisprudence quite well. We already know that the government and law enforcement are not 'responsible' for saving you. They can try, but don't have to. The Supreme Court made clear we are on our own, legally-speaking.

We also now know that we have a right to self-preservation.

Add the two together, and the Constitution basically says: "Suck it. You are responsible for your own personage, and here is the authority (2A) you can use to effect the outcome."

My Thesis: If the government wishes to take your authority (sensitive places), then they must also accept responsibility for the outcomes while your authority is abrogated.

I think this is where Scalia was going in his dicta. Each of the places he mentions has some type of authority in power (jails, schools, courthouses, etc.) that accepts responsibility for the security of that place. You can over-read the use of the word 'schools', but we are cautioned to not parse individual words in dicta.

So simply put, sensitive places must come with security - and the government must work to ensure the safety of everyone in that location. And when they fail to do that?

Responsibility means they pay when they are negligent. Note that not every crime can be prevented, but they must never 'fail to respond' and they must be staffed to a level commensurate to prevent most threats from occurring. So a jail or criminal courthouse would require quite a few guards, but an elementary school not so much (maybe mindful teachers is enough).

Taken this way, the list of sensitive places would be much, much smaller. Frankly, I would imagine the government actively working to reduce the size, scope and location of 'sensitive places' just to avoid the responsibility. Especially municipal governments: by declaring a place 'sensitive' they would be obligated not only to protect it, but to also indemnify it. Ouch.

Simple. Clean. Balanced.

Last edited by Patrick-2; 06-16-2011 at 3:35 AM..
Old 06-16-2011, 4:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
Nicki:

I like your logic.

I'd also note that if vehicles are used then it is not a sensitive place. A 2 ton vehicle (at least in some contexts) is far more deadly than is my Glock.

I like Nicki's logic. I like your logic. What Patrick-2 had to say thrills me also.

But you're all applying logic. Gun grabbers don't have logic. Don't recognize logic. Don't care about logic.

The Raisuli

WTB: 9mm cylinder for Taurus Mod. 85
WTS: Model 94 AE 30-30