Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Exclamation WeHo Gay Pride Parade-After Action Report

West Hollywood Pride parade-After Actions report

Today was the West Hollywood gay pride parade and festival, and yet again, members of CalGuns and their friends and family came down to march as the Pink Pistols, a LGBT organization of gun owners.

The overall event was a much larger crowd then the Long Beach parade a few weeks ago, unfortunately, the group of people with our contingent, was significantly smaller, at just under a dozen people.

This event was deep in enemy territory, and a test run so to speak. West Hollywood is home to some of the most Anti Gun individuals in the Country, and I am very pleased to report that we did not get one boo! I am positive that we made people think a second time about gun rights, being a civil right.

Pinkie, the Benelli Semi Automatic replica shotgun, painted pink, with the detachable....errr...16" dildo, was a huge success yet again. Regardless of the individuals who thought it would send a bad message, many many people along the parade route stopped GettoPhilosopher to snap a quick picture. The streets were lined with hundreds of LACo Sheriffs officers, and we even got a laugh out of most of them, after a few funny looks of course. Only 1 questioned if it was real, with a smile on his face, however, he didn't come close enough to give it a real look. One even asked if he could use it for training at the Academy !

All and all, I am planning on assisting with expanding the membership of the pink pistols, as well as continuing to march in these parades. The flags looked beautiful, and thank you for everyone who donated to them. They are heading up North to be at the San Francisco parade, look alive for that thread. They looked stellar.

Andrew Mendez
Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 PM
C3 Leader

Last edited by Kestryll; 06-12-2011 at 11:56 PM..
Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 PM

it had to be done!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 PM

i speak too soon!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 PM
C3 Leader

Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 PM
C3 Leader

Green hornet car, with 1919's that were Hollywoodized

I just posted this picture, to give you an idea of the parking situation.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:38 PM

Very cool. While there are many anti-gun people on the left hand side of the political spectrum there are many that are into guns and believe in gun rights like myself. I think reaching out to those folks and letting them know that the second amendment and gun rights are the exclusive property of the right wing. Besides, they're likely to do the best job of promoting gun ownership to their friends. Hopefully I'll be in town and see you guys at pride SF.
"I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology."-Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Pretty sad turnout for SoCal, I hope yall were able to accomplish alot with the little participation you had.

Hope you have a better turnout next time.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:09 PM

FWIW I live in weho, I'm not gay, and I like guns. There's more of us than you might think, but yeah, I wouldn't expect a pro gun crowd at the parade.

You all might have changed a few people's attitudes about weapons, good on you!

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 PM
CGN Contributor

Good job Andrew and all who were involved! Hopefully the turnout will be better next time. But any presence is good presence!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:17 PM
C3 Contributor

AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by louderthangod View Post
Very cool. While there are many anti-gun people on the left hand side of the political spectrum there are many that are into guns and believe in gun rights like myself. I think reaching out to those folks and letting them know that the second amendment and gun rights are the exclusive property of the right wing. Besides, they're likely to do the best job of promoting gun ownership to their friends. Hopefully I'll be in town and see you guys at pride SF.
Very good point. I know not everyone on the "other side" is anti gun, however, most of them are. I agree that they will do a good job at promoting firearms among friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
Pretty sad turnout for SoCal, I hope yall were able to accomplish alot with the little participation you had.

Hope you have a better turnout next time.
Indeed a poor turnout. I had a ton of personal friends RSVP to the event, but every single one of them flaked...worst part..most of them are gay. Regardless, with so many members in SoCal, it was a little frustrating that more people didn't show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1290 View Post
FWIW I live in weho, I'm not gay, and I like guns. There's more of us than you might think, but yeah, I wouldn't expect a pro gun crowd at the parade.

You all might have changed a few people's attitudes about weapons, good on you!
You live in WeHo and you aren't gay Just kidding. Convert your neighbors, and have them join. We will be having new shooter events in the not so distant future. I am sure we changed a few minds.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:07 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl333 View Post
AM.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoebot View Post
Good job Andrew and all who were involved! Hopefully the turnout will be better next time. But any presence is good presence!
Thanks.
San Diego Pride is July 16th. Nudge Nudge.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMendez View Post
Indeed a poor turnout. I had a ton of personal friends RSVP to the event, but every single one of them flaked...worst part..most of them are gay. Regardless, with so many members in SoCal, it was a little frustrating that more people didn't show up.
Out of curiosity, how many of the people who did show were straight/gay?

I ask because Im wondering if there is apperhension amoungst some gay folk to associate with a percieved "straight, white, redneck, male, etc." issue in gun rights, that prevents them from "coming out" as gun owners?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I ask because Im wondering if there is apperhension amoungst some gay folk to associate with a percieved "straight, white, redneck, male, etc." issue in gun rights, that prevents them from "coming out" as gun owners?
That, plus cuts both ways - there are prob some gunnies that are probably too shy/uncomfortable to go into that parade, too.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-13-2011, 1:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
That, plus cuts both ways - there are prob some gunnies that are probably too shy/uncomfortable to go into that parade, too.
Thats a given, but since this is the gay pride parade, I would expect that more gay gunners would be making a showing. Help those that help themselves and all that.
Old 06-13-2011, 1:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

looks like good times, wish I could have made it this year
Old 06-13-2011, 1:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thats a given, but since this is the gay pride parade, I would expect that more gay gunners would be making a showing. Help those that help themselves and all that.
I agree. One PinkPistoleer told me they're very 'closeted' - some see the guns as useful but they are not part of 'gun culture'. Contrast that with someone like Tom Boyer who likes Garands and 1911s and revolvers

I recall Tom telling me (approximately - lost some details) why some LGBT types armed themselves years ago, aside from 'bashing' issues - it appears the animal rights/PETA people were aggrieved that drug companies were using monkeys for testing AIDS meds, vaccines, etc. - and these animal freaks would rather have the monkeys live as opposed to people living, and they were apparently trying to make individual gays' lives shortened even more.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-13-2011, 1:45 AM
Calguns Addict

as a side note, unfortunately me and the GF had to head home early from our SoCal trip so we couldn't be there. But I did have a long conversation with a transgender ACLU-rep in Ocean Beach San Diego who was trying to convince us to give money to the ACLU. Told them I couldn't, "in good conscience, give money to a group that seeks to undermine my right to own guns". Surprisingly I got no flustered response back, told them about the pink pistols, and she seemed interested in them. She said a person let their dog attack (pretty gnarly scars on her arm) her one day because she was transgender. I told her she should get a gun

Shop at AMAZON to help Calguns Foundation

CRPA Life Member. Click here to Join.

NRA Member JOIN HERE/
Old 06-13-2011, 2:41 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how many of the people who did show were straight/gay?

We have a don't ask don't tell policy, but I would assume half and half.
Old 06-13-2011, 2:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
We have a don't ask don't tell policy, but I would assume half and half.
Is that what PRIDE is all about, keeping it a secret?
Old 06-13-2011, 3:02 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Is that what PRIDE is all about, keeping it a secret?
Nah, it's just my excuse to attract more closeted gays. Its really closer to 90%.
Old 06-13-2011, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Nah, it's just my excuse to attract more closeted gays. Its really closer to 90%.
Andrew, seriously, I'm a married man! You've got to tone down the shameless flirting.

It's worth noting that the random girls in the crowd that joined our march in Long Beach were in WeHo too, saw us, ran out to give us hugs, and then marched the rest of the way with us.
Old 06-13-2011, 9:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good job folks!

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 06-13-2011, 9:22 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettoPhilosopher View Post
Andrew, seriously, I'm a married man! You've got to tone down the shameless flirting.

It's worth noting that the random girls in the crowd that joined our march in Long Beach were in WeHo too, saw us, ran out to give us hugs, and then marched the rest of the way with us.
I thought I had posted that, but after rereading, I just noticed I didn't. That was by far the coolest part. The milar balloons vs the power lines was a close second though.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Default After action report.

West Hollywood and San Francisco are probably the top anti gun areas of the state and that is where we are doing our marching, deep in enemy territory.

Something that I would like to point out is the stereotype of gun owners promoted by the anti rights folks is that gun owners are a bunch of right wing, pro life rednecks who want to roll back civil rights of women and minorities.

While many gun owners are "rednecks and pro life", it would be a small minority that would actually want to undo equal rights for women and minorities.

What the Pink Pistols does is destroy that stereotype and it gives us a big crack in the door to have dialogue across the political spectrum.

Generally speaking gun rights is typically equated as a "right wing" issue where as gay rights is typically equated as a "left wing" issue.

As we show that "Gun Rights" really crosses the political divide, by default, we will pick up people in the "Political Middle".

Our gun rights position is sound, but when people are shouting at each other, no one can listen. When we spark people's curiosity, we can engage in dialogue and then we can cause shifts.

The population of California used to be pro gun. Today I think we have lost our pro gun majority in California because of demographic changes.

If we reach out, we will change things.

There are two courts we have to win in, the courts of law and the courts of public opinion.

Bold moves out of our "comfort zones" are what will be needed to change public opinion here in California.

Nicki
Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 PM

Something that "gay rights" and "gun rights" folks have in common is the quest for the freedom to live their lives as free persons without society, or the government, condemning or otherwise interfering with their life and lifestyle.

I didn't chose to be a gun lover, I was just born this way. I always knew I was a little different than the other kids when I was growing up. When the other kids were out playing ball I was in my room with back issues of Guns & Ammo. When the other boys were wearing baseball uniforms, I preferred to don my camo and tactical gear. One of the hardest days of my life was when I told my parents I was a gun-lover. I was scared they would reject me, but when I Dad said that he too was a Gun-Lover, and with my Mother's support, I knew then I could face the rest of the world with what had been my secret.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 PM

I'm kinda lost on Pink Pistols slogan "Pick on someone your own caliber" http://www.pinkpistols.org/photos/PPMCRGO4.htm Here is a sec link http://www.pinkpistols.org/ "Armed Gays Don't Get Bashed" A simple foul name calling could be bashing someone who is Gay. I rater see people support firearm laws its great. I think some of the slogans used by pink pistols could be miss leading . Also whats up with the big dildo in the pics as well ? Thanks for supporting your right to own and bare arms. Don't take my post as a bash.
Old 06-13-2011, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSGDYBBR View Post
I'm kinda lost on Pink Pistols slogan "Pick on someone your own caliber" http://www.pinkpistols.org/photos/PPMCRGO4.htm Here is a sec link http://www.pinkpistols.org/ "Armed Gays Don't Get Bashed" A simple foul name calling could be bashing someone who is Gay. I rater see people support firearm laws its great. I think some of the slogans used by pink pistols could be miss leading . Also whats up with the big dildo in the pics as well ? Thanks for supporting your right to own and bare arms. Don't take my post as a bash.
That about says it, they did have bare arms (dildo) instead of bearing arms. I never liked the idea of "pride" parades or "history" months that single groups and classes out. I think they only further the perception of differences between us all. I feel amazingly left out in the current political environment. However, I like what you guys are doing with this, minus the dildo.

Ceasar Chavez was against illegal immigration....
Old 06-13-2011, 2:51 PM
C3 Leader

I really don't want to get into the dildo thing for two reasons. It's been covered in at least three other threads, and it was by far, the easiest way to get an easy in with crowd. It's a conversation piece. We were not at a back to school night event with third graders, we were at a gay pride event, with butt cheeks as far as the eyes can see.
Old 06-13-2011, 3:01 PM

We also had the honor of marching behind a van from a
gay male adult video outfit, with some of their actors, if that's
the right term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Substituting the word "love" for getting sexual pleasure from someone of the same sex, is simply dishonest.
Old 06-13-2011, 3:13 PM

Thanks Andrew for clearing up the 37mm/40mm conversation piece. That conversation piece is so large I'm sure my wife would run from that. Glad you guys & girls had fun at the Gay Pride Event.

Quote:
I really don't want to get into the dildo thing for two reasons. It's been covered in at least three other threads, and it was by far, the easiest way to get an easy in with crowd. It's a conversation piece. We were not at a back to school night event with third graders, we were at a gay pride event, with butt cheeks as far as the eyes can see.
Old 06-13-2011, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Just exercising my 1st amendment right to state my opinion and move on. Not trying to start a debate. It's just one very tiny (yet so large) detail we disagree upon. Nice Job otherwise on getting the message out there!

Ceasar Chavez was against illegal immigration....
Old 06-13-2011, 4:36 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
Just exercising my 1st amendment right to state my opinion and move on. Not trying to start a debate. It's just one very tiny (yet so large) detail we disagree upon. Nice Job otherwise on getting the message out there!
No you damn troll! ! Didn't mean to come off snippy. You had a valid question.
Old 06-13-2011, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

For the next one we need to find a way to launch dildos from one of those Spikes 37mm flare launchers.
Old 06-13-2011, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded Claymore View Post
For the next one we need to find a way to launch dildos from one of those Spikes 37mm flare launchers.
My old airsoft group has done it with airsoft 40mm M203s loaded with CO2 powered paintball grenades. ^_^
Old 06-13-2011, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Were any of these "cheeks" of straight women? If so, count me in next parade.
Gay or not Andrew, I'm proud of you.

TURBOELKY
Old 06-13-2011, 6:02 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
Were any of these "cheeks" of straight women? If so, count me in next parade.
Gay or not Andrew, I'm proud of you.
Post op or pre op? If you want too see booty, SF is the place to see it.
Old 06-13-2011, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded Claymore View Post

lol..

aim for the anti gunners pie holes!

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 06-13-2011, 7:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Post op or pre op? If you want too see booty, SF is the place to see it.

if i havent figured it out by the time i wake up and sober up, i aint gonna ask..lol

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.