Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-18-2006, 3:33 PM

Default Need a good recommendation on a semi-auto hunting rifle

OK so I'm looking to get into a semi-auto to replace my ancient 1968 Sears Roebuck bolt action hunting rifle. I've looked at the Benelli R1 and the Browning BAR and both seem good. But what's the best semi-auto hunting rifle out there right now and what are some of the calibers I should be considering? I enjoy hunting medium sized varmints such as coyotes and foxes but would mostly be using this rifle to kill deer and pigs. It would be a HUGE plus if the rifle could also take out coyotes and foxes though without splattering them all over.
Old 12-18-2006, 4:21 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Can I ask why you want a semi-auto for a hunting rifle? Now don't get me wrong, I own/used a lot of the semi-autos but I always come back to the bolt action or single shot rifles. Now, both of the rifles you mention are good, but they are heavy and not as accurate in general as a good bolt. Plus semi-autos tend to me more finicky in bad conditions.
"The cat is out of the bag. We cannot buy back all of the series clones. We do not want to allow registration, so I think we're stuck with SB 23 being the vehicle to regulate them" ---- Dep. Attorney General A. Merrilees writes to Brady Center on May 15, 2006 @ 11:22 am
Old 12-18-2006, 4:51 PM

simply put: firepower. When I made the switch from a pump to an autoloading shotgun there was some serious butt kicking. Many more ducks dropped from the sky because my shotgun was lighter and could drop two ducks instead of just one. I started thinking "Wow if a semi-auto shotgun makes this much difference then a semi-auto rifle would be equally awesome."

I have noticed there are very few semi-auto hunting rifles on the market. If I did go for a bolt again it would probably be the Tikka T3 because it's light and handy in a variety of situations.

Heck at a time like this all I can think is, "What would Jimmy Buffet do?"

Last edited by anotherone; 12-18-2006 at 4:56 PM..
Old 12-18-2006, 5:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Semi auto rifles....M1 Garand, M14/M1A...

But I'm also wondering WHAT you're hunting....there arnt too many critters you can can go hog-wild on and actually "need" a semi for. Pig, rabbit and graound squirrel are about the only ones that come to mind

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
Old 12-18-2006, 5:57 PM
Banned

Ive always found that a 10/22 was perfect for Rabbit but then so is My Homeland Defence Rifle chambered in .223 and the one chambered in .308 covers just about anything that the HDR223 doesn't.
Old 12-18-2006, 6:39 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone
simply put: firepower. When I made the switch from a pump to an autoloading shotgun there was some serious butt kicking. Many more ducks dropped from the sky because my shotgun was lighter and could drop two ducks instead of just one. I started thinking "Wow if a semi-auto shotgun makes this much difference then a semi-auto rifle would be equally awesome."

I have noticed there are very few semi-auto hunting rifles on the market. If I did go for a bolt again it would probably be the Tikka T3 because it's light and handy in a variety of situations.

Bird shooting is one thing, big game hunting is another. I could count on one hand (with fingers left over) the number of times I wanted/needed a second "rapid" shot that was faster than one can take with a bolt action rifle. It's just not the same as wing shooting.

If you feel you REALLY wanted a faster followup shot than what a bolt action can afford, then you need a double rifle and not a semi-auto

When you go after birds you are looking to get 5, 7, 10 depending on the limits. When you are after big game the limits are mostly 1. So I find the best approach is to just make that first shot count, winging birds is one thing,..."winging" a deer, pig, bear, elk....ect is not the way you want to go.
"The cat is out of the bag. We cannot buy back all of the series clones. We do not want to allow registration, so I think we're stuck with SB 23 being the vehicle to regulate them" ---- Dep. Attorney General A. Merrilees writes to Brady Center on May 15, 2006 @ 11:22 am
Old 12-18-2006, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone

jimmy buffet? id want to know what ted nugent would do?
Old 12-18-2006, 7:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If the main purpose is to kill hogs and deer what do you really need "more fire power" for, are you planning on killing multiple hogs with bursts of gun fire? Sounds like an Ak might fill your needs, with 3-4,30round mags.
Old 12-18-2006, 7:49 PM

Default Semi auto

Semi autos are for fun and lack acuracy (except my OLL with 20 in fluted HB Bushmaster upper, under .5 MOA for warminting) For serious hunting I use bolt action guns.
Vasiliy
Old 12-18-2006, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepr62
Semi autos are for fun and lack acuracy
SOME lack accuracy......not all, so please dont lump them all together...the PSG comes to mind

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep