Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Default M1A/M14 & EOTech sights.

Ever since I learned how to shoot, I have always used iron sights. I've been thinking about getting an EOtech(500 model series or along those lines) to put on my standard M1A just for fun. It's not the most compatible rifle for accessories. It seems like the rail attachment that screws into the receiver are meant for scopes only. Anyone have any advice? Would a rail attachment like this picture be adaptable for an EOTech?
I heard someone say that only certain EOTech sights can be used with .308's. That seemed a little strange. Then again, I haven't played around with optic sights much.

Last edited by CWUSCG; 06-10-2011 at 11:59 PM..
Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 PM

ultimak scout rail.
Kinda like this set up on my Mini14

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA GSSF Richmond Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/
Old 06-12-2011, 6:47 PM
Veteran Member

it would be really hard to get an eotech onto the rail in the OP -- they work better on a continuous rail section. luckily, you've got several options.

sadlak scope mounts are made from aluminum, steel or titanium ...

smith enterprise makes them in varying lengths, including seven- and 10-inch models ...

and the bassett machine model is super easy to install and remove.

all three will allow you to still use the iron sights -- the bassett sits up a little higher so you can see under, while the smith and sadlak models have a channel running the length of the mount that you can look down.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)
Old 06-12-2011, 7:03 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

You want a Red Dot or Holo Sight in a Scout Config.
Old 06-12-2011, 7:56 PM

Strongpoint, Thank you for that! That's what I was looking for. Out of the pictures you posted, do you have a preference on which one? I was looking for a mount I could still use the iron sights with.

ElvenSoul, I was interested in getting a holographic sight. Still trying to decide on which model. Advice? I'm trying to get as much feedback as I can before dropping the 500 or 600 bucks on one.
Old 06-12-2011, 9:01 PM

think of how high that EoTech is going to be, after the mount, then the sight. Cheek weld is going to suffer. Scout mount is the way to go IMO

http://ultimak.com/BuyM14.htm

http://www.amegaranges.com/product_pages/m14_m1a.html

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA GSSF Richmond Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/

Last edited by prc77; 06-12-2011 at 9:04 PM..
Old 06-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc77 View Post
think of how high that EoTech is going to be, after the mount, then the sight. Cheek weld is going to suffer. Scout mount is the way to go IMO
if you don't mind a little drilling, an adjustable cheek rest from karsten (or one of a few other vendors) fixes the problem. installation is maybe a 10-minute job with a handheld power drill, and it takes 20 or 30 seconds to switch from a high configuration for scope use to back down for irons. PRC77's overall point is correct; i like the cheek rest as a solution, but YMMV.

(btw, that's 10 minutes for a synthetic stock. i have no idea how long a solid wood stock would take.)

i point out that i don't actually have an eotech up yet, but like OP, i'm considering it as a possibility. i thought about using the scout mount (my M1A is the scout squad model), but i want to keep the irons available. also, my eyes pretty much require magnification for any sort of distance shooting.

i've been trying to figure out whether i can fit an XPS and a magnifier onto a bassett mount -- i originally wanted to go with a longer eotech, like the 552 with the .308 BDC, but i think i'd need a seven-inch SEI mount, and then i'm adding a bunch of mass to a rifle that's not particularly light to begin with. if i do that and add a bipod, i can also use it as a barbell.
“Keep it up, America, keep telling your youth that mud and danger are fit only for intellectual pigs. Keep on saying that only the stupid are fit to sacrifice, that America must be defended by the low-brow and enjoyed by the high-brow. Keep vaunting head over heart, and soon the head will arrive at the complete folly of any kind of fight and meekly surrender the treasure to the first bandit with enough heart to demand it.” (Robert Leckie)

Last edited by strongpoint; 06-12-2011 at 11:51 PM..
Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWUSCG View Post
Strongpoint, Thank you for that! That's what I was looking for. Out of the pictures you posted, do you have a preference on which one? I was looking for a mount I could still use the iron sights with.
all three of the models i posted let you use the irons, which was one of my prerequisites. beyond that, i think it mostly depends on what you're looking for.

smith offers various lengths, while the different materials sadlak uses result in various weights. for instance, if you want/need to add a ton of gear, go with a 7" or 10" SEI. if you need standard length but light weight, get the titanium sadlak model.

another point in sadlak's favor is that the company will help you determine whether the alignment grooves in your receiver are machined to spec; if not, they'll fit a mount to your receiver.

the big claim to fame of the bassett mounts appears to be ease of installation. they're held on by just the side bolt, which is tightened using only the weight of the rifle and this ingenious little lever that's included with purchase. bill bassett claims that if you follow his prescribed method for removing and reinstalling the mount, it will retain accuracy to within 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. i haven't tested that yet, but i've heard others who own bassett mounts swear it works.

i own a 7" SEI model (bought at a deep discount) for testing eotech mounting possibilities, along with a bassett standard (non-picatinny) model that holds a traditional riflescope. i haven't decided yet which one to marry.
Old 06-13-2011, 2:55 AM

Quote:

ElvenSoul, I was interested in getting a holographic sight. Still trying to decide on which model. Advice? I'm trying to get as much feedback as I can before dropping the 500 or 600 bucks on one.
CWUSCG,
If your goal is to use irons and a red dot sight, I think your best configuration is going to be an Ultimak scout rail and an Aimpoint T-1/H-1. This will allow you to co-witness the optic and irons.

I think you'll like this setup.

Check it out here:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=116864

Photos from that thread:

Old 06-13-2011, 7:50 AM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

The troy rail extends from the front to the rear sight. A buddy of mine has one on his and likes it. I'm not sure how it affects barrel harmonics though as it doesn't look like a free floating setup to me.
Old 06-13-2011, 9:19 AM
Banned

The bottom of EOTech is wide and tends to interact with empty brass when the optic is mounted above the receiver. I experienced jams when the op rod would catch empty brass and pinch it against the receiver as it traveled forward.
I suggest you avoid this set-up. The other issue is it's height, the EOTech needs a cheek riser.

As mentioned, a better option with a traditional stock is the Aimpoint micro on an UltiMAK M8. No cheek riser required and it will co-witness iron sights. Win - win.

On the other hand, the EOTech does work well when mounted out front on the top cover of a SAGE EBR stock, I will return to this set-up on my Mod 0 as soon as my XR.308 arrives.

I hope that helps.
Old 06-14-2011, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O MAN View Post
On the other hand, the EOTech does work well when mounted out front on the top cover of a SAGE EBR stock, I will return to this set-up on my Mod 0 as soon as my XR.308 arrives.

I hope that helps.
Thanks Water man! A complete stock overhaul was my 2nd idea! I remember seeing your name on the M14 forums. I posted a thread on there under the Modern M14 category. Let me know what your ideas are.
Old 06-14-2011, 7:52 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks Water man! A complete stock overhaul was my 2nd idea! I remember seeing your name on the M14 forums. I posted a thread on there under the Modern M14 category. Let me know what your ideas are.

I have posted a reply