Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Got a call from a Deputy DA last week....

Last week I got a call from a deputy DA. I testified for her as an expert in a firearms case around seven years ago. She kept my business card, and cell number.

She had a firearms question.

She had a case where a suspect had been arrested on a DV case. At the time of his arrest three firearms had been taken for safe keeping. The DDA had a question as to the "assault rifle" which was one of the firearms taken. Apparently the DA's office was not going to file on the DV allegations and wanted to know whether to file charges related to the "assault rifle".

She wanted to know if the rifle fell under the assault rifle prohibitions. She could only tell me it was a "AR-16 YMH"

I told her that the receiver was not a listed assault rifle, however without actually seeing the rifle there would be no way to tell if it was configured in a legal or illegal way.

She said the rifle was still in police custody, and I offered to go to the PD and inspect it for her if she would arrange it.

Long story short she arranged the inspection and last Thursday I went to the station and inspected the rifle.

It was a legally configured rifle with a properly installed and functioning "bullet button".

So no charges will be filed, and the rifles owner can apply for a LEGR and get his firearms back.

In addition while at the police station I talked at length with the property clerk and the Lt. in charge of the investigations division. I supplied both with copies of the Calguns AW flow chart, as well as the web site info.

Both were impressed with the flow chart, and said it will definitely help them. The property clerk was very new, and asked if she could call me with any firearms questions. I told her of course as I still get calls from my old department.

I also offered to provide a class for the detectives as to current laws regarding "assault weapons". Including bringing examples of legally configured rifles as training aids. The Detective LT was very receptive. So hopefully that will come to fruition.

One small step.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Calguns Addict

yes good luck! that is a big victory!
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."
looking to buy in great condition yugo sks
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I am so disappointed. I don't believe that the BB wasn't removed by the PD just so they could charge the guy.
You should post this on OT and see what happens. I bet it will get a minimum of 5 pages.

On a serious note, good job on educating the DDA and PD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdanger View Post
Weiner is in jail for doing much less than Kavanaugh or your Dear Leader Trump have done and they are walking around free.

NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"
Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that things were done properly and all's well that ends well.
Old 06-11-2011, 5:52 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Outstanding.
07 FFL
Law enforcement sales.
Custom AK builds.

909 985-0600

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 06-11-2011, 6:09 AM

It's sad that people who make it ther job to uphold the law, have no effing idea what's the law is.
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory" Jeff Cooper

كافر
Old 06-11-2011, 6:37 AM

great news! kudos
Old 06-11-2011, 6:43 AM
CGN Contributor

Great job.

I hope more education opportunities come out of this.
Old 06-11-2011, 6:48 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
It's sad that people who make it ther job to uphold the law, have no effing idea what's the law is.
Maybe because there are 20 million laws? I'm a general Contractor been in construction for 30 years. I'm an expert in some phases of it, but there is no way in the world anyone could learn all of it.
Old 06-11-2011, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Maybe because there are 20 million laws? I'm a general Contractor been in construction for 30 years. I'm an expert in some phases of it, but there is no way in the world anyone could learn all of it.
Ruining someones life because of ignorance, is not an excuse.
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory" Jeff Cooper

كافر
Old 06-11-2011, 7:15 AM
Banned

You expect them to know the laws they enforce, not to know them all. If you're a cop and going to hassle someone, at least know the relevant sections of law. I for one really appreciate the effort SVT-40 went through. He didn't mention being paid for his recently rendered services but regardless of that, he did us all a huge service and I thank him for it. Think about the great day the guy with the AR will have when he's allowed to have it back and doesn't do any jail time for no good reason.
Old 06-11-2011, 7:22 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Your reading comprehension is worse than your manners. The deputy DA is not an expert on bullet buttons and monster man grips and 80% homebuilds etc so called somebody who was. Much like I do in my line of work and everyone else in the world when they run across something they are unsure about . Except for you of course, must be nice to know everything!

Quote:
Ruining someones life because of ignorance, is not an excuse.
Old 06-11-2011, 7:26 AM

I am guessing after reading your post you did this without compensation. It is humbling to know that people still exist that are willing to share their life long learning on a subject. Just think of the peoples lives you may have made better by the officers having the flow chart and being educated in a fair and honest manner.
Many thanks and if you decide to do a video of your course please let me know so I can purchase a copy.
Respectfully,
Bill
Old 06-11-2011, 7:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hopefully you'll get some compensation? That's allot to offer gratis.

NRA Life Member

Vet since 1978

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn
Old 06-11-2011, 7:30 AM

Thank you for taking the time to educate folks. I am willing to follow the firearm laws in CA. Typically, my only worry is whether or not I will end up having an encounter with someone who is unfamiliar with the laws resulting in time and expense on my part. Having said that, I've never had an issue in the 30+ years I've been shooting. LEOs have always been polite and cordial on the few times I've been pulled over. Only once did I have firearms on me. The officer asked a few questions and I was on my way in 10 min or less.
Old 06-11-2011, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Your reading comprehension is worse than your manners. The deputy DA is not an expert on bullet buttons and monster man grips and 80% homebuilds etc so called somebody who was. Much like I do in my line of work and everyone else in the world when they run across something they are unsure about . Except for you of course, must be nice to know everything!
So it's ok to mess up someone's life if you acted "in good faith"?
Defensive much?

كافر
Old 06-11-2011, 7:41 AM

Rrr70- no one's life was messed up. The guns will be returned and the owner will not be prosecuted. Get a life.
Old 06-11-2011, 8:00 AM

I don't like where this discussion seems to be headed. It would be nice to focus on the positives here.

Good work by both you and the DA.

"Clearly you spend way too much time in darkened rooms in front of your computer. Go outside once in a while and breathe before your brain starts to rot from all that stagnation and cognitive dysfunction. You couldn't get a clue during clue mating season in a field of clues if you dipped your body in musk and did the clue mating dance. Leave me alone with all of this nonsense and go shoot them for yourself."
Old 06-11-2011, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne View Post
Rrr70- no one's life was messed up. The guns will be returned and the owner will not be prosecuted. Get a life.
Tell this to the owner. Tell this to other people who had to jump trough the hurdles of our legal system, loose money, time and being emotionaly distressed. No biggie, right?
"Get a life"? I have a response that I usually give people who say this to me, but I enjoy CGN to much to get banned for BS like this. I hope you get my drift, friend.

كافر

Last edited by rrr70; 06-11-2011 at 8:20 AM..
Old 06-11-2011, 8:12 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
She wanted to know if the rifle fell under the assault rifle prohibitions. She could only tell me it was a "AR-16 YMH"

I told her that the receiver was not a listed assault rifle, however without actually seeing the rifle there would be no way to tell if it was configured in a legal or illegal way.

She said the rifle was still in police custody, and I offered to go to the PD and inspect it for her if she would arrange it.

Long story short she arranged the inspection and last Thursday I went to the station and inspected the rifle.

It was a legally configured rifle with a properly installed and functioning "bullet button".

So no charges will be filed, and the rifles owner can apply for a LEGR and get his firearms back.
Great news SVT. Thanks for your efforts!

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 06-11-2011, 8:19 AM

Good job!
Old 06-11-2011, 8:21 AM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about this case.

"Get a life"? I have a response that I usually give people who say this to me, but I enjoy CGN to much to get banned for BS like this. I hope you get my drift, friend.
Seriously get a life. You're obviously exhibiting anger over other stuff that has nothing to do with this case. You expect a heart surgeon to know everything there is about brain surgery? How about a tax lawyer to defend you in a divorce? We get it, you don't like cops. Like the rules above state, go tell someone on another forum your displeasure.
Old 06-11-2011, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
Seriously get a life. You're obviously exhibiting anger over other stuff that has nothing to do with this case. You expect a heart surgeon to know everything there is about brain surgery? How about a tax lawyer to defend you in a divorce? We get it, you don't like cops. Like the rules above state, go tell someone on another forum your displeasure.
No, you don't get it. I do like cops and I do respect them. What I do not like is when you say it is OK to not know the law.

كافر
Old 06-11-2011, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Tell this to the owner. Tell this to other people who had to jump trough the hurdles of our legal system, loose money, time and being emotionaly distressed. No biggie, right?
Has it happened to you? And in any case, what are you doing to help solve these issues? Other than throwing mud around on the internet, in a thread where someone who actually did something other than ***** online. The OP accomplished something and made the system work, educated some key players and made some great contacts. All you did was troll.

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 06-11-2011, 8:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No, you don't get it. I do like cops and I do respect them. What I do not like is when you say it is OK to not know the law.
It is impossible to know every law, EVEN FOR LAWYERS!

Now, please stop thread crapping and move along.

To the OP, I enjoyed reading your post and it is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.
Old 06-11-2011, 8:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Good job!
Old 06-11-2011, 8:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I was joking about posting this on OT, It looks like OT came here instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdanger View Post
Weiner is in jail for doing much less than Kavanaugh or your Dear Leader Trump have done and they are walking around free.

NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"
Old 06-11-2011, 8:55 AM

Proof that no matter how much good you do, there will always be cynics that will criticize you. One thing I've learned is to ignore the critics and keep doing what you thing is right.

Congrats SVT-40, the best part is that the clerk and assistant DA actually asked for help and didn't arrogantly assume they knew the rules.

A truly intelligent person realizes not how much they know, but how much they dont know!

Keep up the good work!
Old 06-11-2011, 9:21 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseGun View Post
Proof that no matter how much good you do, there will always be cynics that will criticize you. One thing I've learned is to ignore the critics and keep doing what you thing is right.

Congrats SVT-40, the best part is that the clerk and assistant DA actually asked for help and didn't arrogantly assume they knew the rules.

A truly intelligent person realizes not how much they know, but how much they dont know!

Keep up the good work!
Yeah, I don't get it. I think all of the LEOs here are the good guys wanting the same thing everyone else wants. When someone goes above and beyond, such as displayed by SVT here, there is always the naysayers that come out and point out negatives. We need more LEO to help educate, explain and teach. I, for one, am very happy to see the DA reach out and ask for help in determining the AW status because they did not know. While it is not perfect since the person referenced in the OP had a weapon taken, this is a HUGE step in the right direction. Without the efforts of those like SVT has exhibited in this example, it is a losing battle.

Again... Thanks for your efforts SVT.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 06-11-2011, 9:25 AM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thumbs up

Wow, excellent work!

Old 06-11-2011, 9:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
Yeah, I don't get it. I think all of the LEOs here are the good guys wanting the same thing everyone else wants. When someone goes above and beyond, such as displayed by SVT here, there is always the naysayers that come out and point out negatives. We need more LEO to help educate, explain and teach. I, for one, am very happy to see the DA reach out and ask for help in determining the AW status because they did not know. While it is not perfect since the person referenced in the OP had a weapon taken, this is a HUGE step in the right direction. Without the efforts of those like SVT has exhibited in this example, it is a losing battle.

Again... Thanks for your efforts SVT.
Exactly right.

A DA who comes across a case that is foreign territory should seek out all the necessary help. In this case it's apparent the DA was not used to prosecuting AW's and so they reached out. This is the way it should be and definitely cause to celebrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.
Old 06-11-2011, 9:38 AM
Veteran Member

Yes excellent work, saved someone alot of grief and possibly alot of $$$$$$$$ trying to prove differently.

Just wondering who made the lower.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great job SVT!

CGF Contributor
NRA, CRPA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 AM

I didn't read all these reply's but have to say: YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Jonathan Doe

I am scheduled to testify at a court on Monday on a murder case. I am the first forensic firearms expert the DDA is having in her career. It will be an interesting case. I will go in early to have a conference with her.

A few months ago, I was the defense attorney's first firearms expert witness. She did a good job, and I complimented her after when I finished my testimony.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Last week I got a call from a deputy DA. I testified for her as an expert in a firearms case around seven years ago. She kept my business card, and cell number.

She had a case where a suspect had been arrested on a DV case. At the time of his arrest three firearms had been taken for safe keeping. The DDA had a question as to the "assault rifle" which was one of the firearms taken. Apparently the DA's office was not going to file on the DV allegations and wanted to know whether to file charges related to the "assault rifle".

In addition while at the police station I talked at length with the property clerk and the Lt. in charge of the investigations division. I supplied both with copies of the Calguns AW flow chart, as well as the web site info.

Both were impressed with the flow chart, and said it will definitely help them. The property clerk was very new, and asked if she could call me with any firearms questions. I told her of course as I still get calls from my old department.

I also offered to provide a class for the detectives as to current laws regarding "assault weapons". Including bringing examples of legally configured rifles as training aids. The Detective LT was very receptive. So hopefully that will come to fruition.

One small step.....
Good work brother! Though MANY people here are quick to jump to conclusions about our profession and those who are in it, they hardly comment on our little actions behind the scenes that make a ton of difference, like this case...

Little by little.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

excellent read! thanks for actually going out there and making things better! my sincerest respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 06-11-2011, 10:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great job SVT!

Quote:

You really need to take "basic reading comprehension 101". I would gladly tell the owner that neither the LEA nor the DA's office did a single thing to surpress his rights. If you were able to read and comprehend the original post, you would have realixed that the guns were taken for safe keeping due to a DV situation. This is the law and one that rational people understand. As far as the LEA and the DDA go, they did not do anything improper. They questioned the legality of the firearm in question, sought out an expert to answer their questions and accepted their experts analysis and RETURNED the rifle to the one time SUSPECT. Everyone in this case (but you) has acted in a mature and resposible manner and resolved all legal issues. I have to agree with others here, you really need to get a life and think a little bit before posting such irrational rants.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 06-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:

One small step.....
SVT-40,

You and I have bumped heads in a couple of different threads. We don't see eye to eye on several different topics. I am sure that we will bump heads in the future as well. Having said that, I will say this.

OUT-F@%KING-STANDING JOB OFFICER!!!

When an LEO, I believe a retired one at that, goes out of his way to make sure that an innocent man does not pay a price for something that wasn't illegal to begin with, then there is hope for this state yet!

You Sir, are a credit to LEO's everywhere, and your actions and offers to train in this matter prove it. I wish to personally thank you for your efforts in this matter. You did a service, not only to that paticular defendant, but to California gun owners all over the state!

Thank you, and strong work, Sir!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213
Maybe I should quit my job and just OC all day until my money train pulls up and unjustly arrests me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
OK, I don't know everything about Congress (except that it's the opposite of "progress" )