Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 PM
SVT-40's Avatar
SVT-40 SVT-40 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Az
Posts: 9,022
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default Got a call from a Deputy DA last week....

Last week I got a call from a deputy DA. I testified for her as an expert in a firearms case around seven years ago. She kept my business card, and cell number.

She had a firearms question.

She had a case where a suspect had been arrested on a DV case. At the time of his arrest three firearms had been taken for safe keeping. The DDA had a question as to the "assault rifle" which was one of the firearms taken. Apparently the DA's office was not going to file on the DV allegations and wanted to know whether to file charges related to the "assault rifle".

She wanted to know if the rifle fell under the assault rifle prohibitions. She could only tell me it was a "AR-16 YMH"

I told her that the receiver was not a listed assault rifle, however without actually seeing the rifle there would be no way to tell if it was configured in a legal or illegal way.

She said the rifle was still in police custody, and I offered to go to the PD and inspect it for her if she would arrange it.

Long story short she arranged the inspection and last Thursday I went to the station and inspected the rifle.

It was a legally configured rifle with a properly installed and functioning "bullet button".

So no charges will be filed, and the rifles owner can apply for a LEGR and get his firearms back.



In addition while at the police station I talked at length with the property clerk and the Lt. in charge of the investigations division. I supplied both with copies of the Calguns AW flow chart, as well as the web site info.

Both were impressed with the flow chart, and said it will definitely help them. The property clerk was very new, and asked if she could call me with any firearms questions. I told her of course as I still get calls from my old department.

I also offered to provide a class for the detectives as to current laws regarding "assault weapons". Including bringing examples of legally configured rifles as training aids. The Detective LT was very receptive. So hopefully that will come to fruition.

One small step.....
__________________
Poke'm with a stick!


Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 PM
bob7122's Avatar
bob7122 bob7122 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: OC, SoCal
Posts: 5,337
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

yes good luck! that is a big victory!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2761377 View Post
man's greatest accomplishments have been achieved in the face of futility.
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."
looking to buy in great condition yugo sks
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 PM
ChrisTKHarris's Avatar
ChrisTKHarris ChrisTKHarris is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,223
iTrader: 35 / 97%
Default

Awesome!
__________________
Don't let the name fool you...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 PM
TRICKSTER's Avatar
TRICKSTER TRICKSTER is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Contra Costa County
Posts: 12,225
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

I am so disappointed. I don't believe that the BB wasn't removed by the PD just so they could charge the guy.
You should post this on OT and see what happens. I bet it will get a minimum of 5 pages.

On a serious note, good job on educating the DDA and PD.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdanger View Post
Weiner is in jail for doing much less than Kavanaugh or your Dear Leader Trump have done and they are walking around free.


NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Notorious's Avatar
Notorious Notorious is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,591
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Glad to hear that things were done properly and all's well that ends well.
__________________
Guns! More guns! I need more guns!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-2011, 5:52 AM
69Mach1's Avatar
69Mach1 69Mach1 is offline
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles County
Posts: 15,089
iTrader: 408 / 100%
Default

Outstanding.
__________________
HIT Armory
40 no. Central Ave.
Upland CA 91786
07 FFL
Law enforcement sales.
Custom AK builds.

909 985-0600


69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-2011, 6:09 AM
rrr70's Avatar
rrr70 rrr70 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Franfricko, PRK
Posts: 1,758
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

It's sad that people who make it ther job to uphold the law, have no effing idea what's the law is.
__________________
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory" Jeff Cooper

كافر
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2011, 6:37 AM
Us3rName Us3rName is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orange County
Posts: 660
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

great news! kudos
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-2011, 6:43 AM
Ronco's Avatar
Ronco Ronco is offline
Senior Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Santa Clara County (Bay Area)
Posts: 750
iTrader: 90 / 100%
Default

Great job.

I hope more education opportunities come out of this.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-11-2011, 6:48 AM
pieeater's Avatar
pieeater pieeater is offline
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Solano County
Posts: 5,371
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
It's sad that people who make it ther job to uphold the law, have no effing idea what's the law is.
Maybe because there are 20 million laws? I'm a general Contractor been in construction for 30 years. I'm an expert in some phases of it, but there is no way in the world anyone could learn all of it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-11-2011, 7:03 AM
rrr70's Avatar
rrr70 rrr70 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Franfricko, PRK
Posts: 1,758
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Maybe because there are 20 million laws? I'm a general Contractor been in construction for 30 years. I'm an expert in some phases of it, but there is no way in the world anyone could learn all of it.
Ruining someones life because of ignorance, is not an excuse.
__________________
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory" Jeff Cooper

كافر
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-11-2011, 7:15 AM
r3dn3ck r3dn3ck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,906
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

You expect them to know the laws they enforce, not to know them all. If you're a cop and going to hassle someone, at least know the relevant sections of law. I for one really appreciate the effort SVT-40 went through. He didn't mention being paid for his recently rendered services but regardless of that, he did us all a huge service and I thank him for it. Think about the great day the guy with the AR will have when he's allowed to have it back and doesn't do any jail time for no good reason.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-11-2011, 7:22 AM
pieeater's Avatar
pieeater pieeater is offline
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Solano County
Posts: 5,371
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Your reading comprehension is worse than your manners. The deputy DA is not an expert on bullet buttons and monster man grips and 80% homebuilds etc so called somebody who was. Much like I do in my line of work and everyone else in the world when they run across something they are unsure about . Except for you of course, must be nice to know everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
Ruining someones life because of ignorance, is not an excuse.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-11-2011, 7:26 AM
Manolito's Avatar
Manolito Manolito is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Milford California Pop. 72
Posts: 2,326
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I am guessing after reading your post you did this without compensation. It is humbling to know that people still exist that are willing to share their life long learning on a subject. Just think of the peoples lives you may have made better by the officers having the flow chart and being educated in a fair and honest manner.
Many thanks and if you decide to do a video of your course please let me know so I can purchase a copy.
Respectfully,
Bill
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-11-2011, 7:30 AM
daveinwoodland's Avatar
daveinwoodland daveinwoodland is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,445
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Hopefully you'll get some compensation? That's allot to offer gratis.
__________________
The Liberal Hurt Train is still rolling with no stops in sight.

NRA Life Member

Vet since 1978

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-11-2011, 7:30 AM
Sheepdog1968's Avatar
Sheepdog1968 Sheepdog1968 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,880
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thank you for taking the time to educate folks. I am willing to follow the firearm laws in CA. Typically, my only worry is whether or not I will end up having an encounter with someone who is unfamiliar with the laws resulting in time and expense on my part. Having said that, I've never had an issue in the 30+ years I've been shooting. LEOs have always been polite and cordial on the few times I've been pulled over. Only once did I have firearms on me. The officer asked a few questions and I was on my way in 10 min or less.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-11-2011, 7:31 AM
rrr70's Avatar
rrr70 rrr70 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Franfricko, PRK
Posts: 1,758
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieeater View Post
Your reading comprehension is worse than your manners. The deputy DA is not an expert on bullet buttons and monster man grips and 80% homebuilds etc so called somebody who was. Much like I do in my line of work and everyone else in the world when they run across something they are unsure about . Except for you of course, must be nice to know everything!
So it's ok to mess up someone's life if you acted "in good faith"?
Defensive much?
__________________
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory" Jeff Cooper

كافر
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-11-2011, 7:41 AM
Patrick Aherne Patrick Aherne is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF Bay Area - Peninsula
Posts: 1,045
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Rrr70- no one's life was messed up. The guns will be returned and the owner will not be prosecuted. Get a life.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-11-2011, 8:00 AM
Deucer Deucer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 717
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I don't like where this discussion seems to be headed. It would be nice to focus on the positives here.

Good work by both you and the DA.
__________________
LET'S GO SHARKS!
LET'S GO GIANTS!

"Clearly you spend way too much time in darkened rooms in front of your computer. Go outside once in a while and breathe before your brain starts to rot from all that stagnation and cognitive dysfunction. You couldn't get a clue during clue mating season in a field of clues if you dipped your body in musk and did the clue mating dance. Leave me alone with all of this nonsense and go shoot them for yourself."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-11-2011, 8:11 AM
rrr70's Avatar
rrr70 rrr70 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Franfricko, PRK
Posts: 1,758
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne View Post
Rrr70- no one's life was messed up. The guns will be returned and the owner will not be prosecuted. Get a life.
Tell this to the owner. Tell this to other people who had to jump trough the hurdles of our legal system, loose money, time and being emotionaly distressed. No biggie, right?
"Get a life"? I have a response that I usually give people who say this to me, but I enjoy CGN to much to get banned for BS like this. I hope you get my drift, friend.
__________________
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory" Jeff Cooper

كافر

Last edited by rrr70; 06-11-2011 at 8:20 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-11-2011, 8:12 AM
MaHoTex's Avatar
MaHoTex MaHoTex is offline
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Isola di Linosa
Posts: 5,203
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
She wanted to know if the rifle fell under the assault rifle prohibitions. She could only tell me it was a "AR-16 YMH"

I told her that the receiver was not a listed assault rifle, however without actually seeing the rifle there would be no way to tell if it was configured in a legal or illegal way.

She said the rifle was still in police custody, and I offered to go to the PD and inspect it for her if she would arrange it.

Long story short she arranged the inspection and last Thursday I went to the station and inspected the rifle.

It was a legally configured rifle with a properly installed and functioning "bullet button".

So no charges will be filed, and the rifles owner can apply for a LEGR and get his firearms back.
Great news SVT. Thanks for your efforts!
__________________
NRA Life Member



Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-11-2011, 8:19 AM
Call_me_Tom's Avatar
Call_me_Tom Call_me_Tom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,308
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Good job!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-11-2011, 8:21 AM
Falconis Falconis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,691
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
I wasn't talking about this case.



"Get a life"? I have a response that I usually give people who say this to me, but I enjoy CGN to much to get banned for BS like this. I hope you get my drift, friend.
Seriously get a life. You're obviously exhibiting anger over other stuff that has nothing to do with this case. You expect a heart surgeon to know everything there is about brain surgery? How about a tax lawyer to defend you in a divorce? We get it, you don't like cops. Like the rules above state, go tell someone on another forum your displeasure.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-11-2011, 8:26 AM
rrr70's Avatar
rrr70 rrr70 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Franfricko, PRK
Posts: 1,758
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
Seriously get a life. You're obviously exhibiting anger over other stuff that has nothing to do with this case. You expect a heart surgeon to know everything there is about brain surgery? How about a tax lawyer to defend you in a divorce? We get it, you don't like cops. Like the rules above state, go tell someone on another forum your displeasure.
No, you don't get it. I do like cops and I do respect them. What I do not like is when you say it is OK to not know the law.
__________________
"The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory" Jeff Cooper

كافر
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-11-2011, 8:31 AM
Matt C's Avatar
Matt C Matt C is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,146
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
Tell this to the owner. Tell this to other people who had to jump trough the hurdles of our legal system, loose money, time and being emotionaly distressed. No biggie, right?
"Get a life"? I have a response that I usually give people who say this to me, but I enjoy CGN to much to get banned for BS like this. I hope you get my drift, friend.
Has it happened to you? And in any case, what are you doing to help solve these issues? Other than throwing mud around on the internet, in a thread where someone who actually did something other than ***** online. The OP accomplished something and made the system work, educated some key players and made some great contacts. All you did was troll.
__________________
I do not provide legal services or practice law (yet).

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-11-2011, 8:37 AM
MrClamperSir's Avatar
MrClamperSir MrClamperSir is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Almost Paradise
Posts: 2,577
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
No, you don't get it. I do like cops and I do respect them. What I do not like is when you say it is OK to not know the law.
It is impossible to know every law, EVEN FOR LAWYERS!

Now, please stop thread crapping and move along.

To the OP, I enjoyed reading your post and it is much appreciated.
__________________
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-11-2011, 8:42 AM
vintagearms's Avatar
vintagearms vintagearms is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 6,329
iTrader: 48 / 100%
Default

Good job!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-11-2011, 8:46 AM
TRICKSTER's Avatar
TRICKSTER TRICKSTER is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Contra Costa County
Posts: 12,225
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

I was joking about posting this on OT, It looks like OT came here instead.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdanger View Post
Weiner is in jail for doing much less than Kavanaugh or your Dear Leader Trump have done and they are walking around free.


NRA Benefactor Member

Police brutality? Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114 to learn more about "isolated incidents"
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-11-2011, 8:55 AM
GooseGun GooseGun is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 59
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Proof that no matter how much good you do, there will always be cynics that will criticize you. One thing I've learned is to ignore the critics and keep doing what you thing is right.

Congrats SVT-40, the best part is that the clerk and assistant DA actually asked for help and didn't arrogantly assume they knew the rules.

A truly intelligent person realizes not how much they know, but how much they dont know!

Keep up the good work!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-11-2011, 9:21 AM
MaHoTex's Avatar
MaHoTex MaHoTex is offline
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Isola di Linosa
Posts: 5,203
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseGun View Post
Proof that no matter how much good you do, there will always be cynics that will criticize you. One thing I've learned is to ignore the critics and keep doing what you thing is right.

Congrats SVT-40, the best part is that the clerk and assistant DA actually asked for help and didn't arrogantly assume they knew the rules.

A truly intelligent person realizes not how much they know, but how much they dont know!

Keep up the good work!
Yeah, I don't get it. I think all of the LEOs here are the good guys wanting the same thing everyone else wants. When someone goes above and beyond, such as displayed by SVT here, there is always the naysayers that come out and point out negatives. We need more LEO to help educate, explain and teach. I, for one, am very happy to see the DA reach out and ask for help in determining the AW status because they did not know. While it is not perfect since the person referenced in the OP had a weapon taken, this is a HUGE step in the right direction. Without the efforts of those like SVT has exhibited in this example, it is a losing battle.

Again... Thanks for your efforts SVT.
__________________
NRA Life Member



Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-11-2011, 9:25 AM
GrizzlyGuy's Avatar
GrizzlyGuy GrizzlyGuy is offline
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Sierras
Posts: 5,469
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Thumbs up

Wow, excellent work!

__________________
Gun law complexity got you down? Get the FAQs, Jack!

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-11-2011, 9:33 AM
MrClamperSir's Avatar
MrClamperSir MrClamperSir is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Almost Paradise
Posts: 2,577
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
Yeah, I don't get it. I think all of the LEOs here are the good guys wanting the same thing everyone else wants. When someone goes above and beyond, such as displayed by SVT here, there is always the naysayers that come out and point out negatives. We need more LEO to help educate, explain and teach. I, for one, am very happy to see the DA reach out and ask for help in determining the AW status because they did not know. While it is not perfect since the person referenced in the OP had a weapon taken, this is a HUGE step in the right direction. Without the efforts of those like SVT has exhibited in this example, it is a losing battle.

Again... Thanks for your efforts SVT.
Exactly right.

A DA who comes across a case that is foreign territory should seek out all the necessary help. In this case it's apparent the DA was not used to prosecuting AW's and so they reached out. This is the way it should be and definitely cause to celebrate.
__________________
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-11-2011, 9:38 AM
battleship battleship is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: pleasant hill
Posts: 4,886
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

Yes excellent work, saved someone alot of grief and possibly alot of $$$$$$$$ trying to prove differently.

Just wondering who made the lower.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 AM
1911su16b870's Avatar
1911su16b870 1911su16b870 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,766
iTrader: 141 / 100%
Default

Great job SVT!
__________________
Trump on RKBA "The Second Amendment to our Constitution is clear. The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed upon. PERIOD."

CGF Contributor
NRA, CRPA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Patriot Man Patriot Man is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: So Cal
Posts: 349
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

I didn't read all these reply's but have to say: YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
CGN Contributor,
I donate Routinely to CRPA. Memberships: NRA, CRPA
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Jonathan Doe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
iTrader: / %
Default

I am scheduled to testify at a court on Monday on a murder case. I am the first forensic firearms expert the DDA is having in her career. It will be an interesting case. I will go in early to have a conference with her.

A few months ago, I was the defense attorney's first firearms expert witness. She did a good job, and I complimented her after when I finished my testimony.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-11-2011, 10:43 AM
fullrearview's Avatar
fullrearview fullrearview is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Carson Valley, NV
Posts: 9,377
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Last week I got a call from a deputy DA. I testified for her as an expert in a firearms case around seven years ago. She kept my business card, and cell number.

She had a firearms question.

She had a case where a suspect had been arrested on a DV case. At the time of his arrest three firearms had been taken for safe keeping. The DDA had a question as to the "assault rifle" which was one of the firearms taken. Apparently the DA's office was not going to file on the DV allegations and wanted to know whether to file charges related to the "assault rifle".

She wanted to know if the rifle fell under the assault rifle prohibitions. She could only tell me it was a "AR-16 YMH"

I told her that the receiver was not a listed assault rifle, however without actually seeing the rifle there would be no way to tell if it was configured in a legal or illegal way.

She said the rifle was still in police custody, and I offered to go to the PD and inspect it for her if she would arrange it.

Long story short she arranged the inspection and last Thursday I went to the station and inspected the rifle.

It was a legally configured rifle with a properly installed and functioning "bullet button".

So no charges will be filed, and the rifles owner can apply for a LEGR and get his firearms back.



In addition while at the police station I talked at length with the property clerk and the Lt. in charge of the investigations division. I supplied both with copies of the Calguns AW flow chart, as well as the web site info.

Both were impressed with the flow chart, and said it will definitely help them. The property clerk was very new, and asked if she could call me with any firearms questions. I told her of course as I still get calls from my old department.

I also offered to provide a class for the detectives as to current laws regarding "assault weapons". Including bringing examples of legally configured rifles as training aids. The Detective LT was very receptive. So hopefully that will come to fruition.

One small step.....
Good work brother! Though MANY people here are quick to jump to conclusions about our profession and those who are in it, they hardly comment on our little actions behind the scenes that make a ton of difference, like this case...

Little by little.
__________________
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Coded-Dude's Avatar
Coded-Dude Coded-Dude is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,706
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

excellent read! thanks for actually going out there and making things better! my sincerest respect.
__________________
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-11-2011, 10:56 AM
CSACANNONEER's Avatar
CSACANNONEER CSACANNONEER is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 43,014
iTrader: 130 / 100%
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Great job SVT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
Tell this to the owner. Tell this to other people who had to jump trough the hurdles of our legal system, loose money, time and being emotionaly distressed. No biggie, right?
"Get a life"? I have a response that I usually give people who say this to me, but I enjoy CGN to much to get banned for BS like this. I hope you get my drift, friend.

You really need to take "basic reading comprehension 101". I would gladly tell the owner that neither the LEA nor the DA's office did a single thing to surpress his rights. If you were able to read and comprehend the original post, you would have realixed that the guns were taken for safe keeping due to a DV situation. This is the law and one that rational people understand. As far as the LEA and the DDA go, they did not do anything improper. They questioned the legality of the firearm in question, sought out an expert to answer their questions and accepted their experts analysis and RETURNED the rifle to the one time SUSPECT. Everyone in this case (but you) has acted in a mature and resposible manner and resolved all legal issues. I have to agree with others here, you really need to get a life and think a little bit before posting such irrational rants.
__________________
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
Utah CCW Instructor


Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-11-2011, 11:27 AM
FF/EMT Nick's Avatar
FF/EMT Nick FF/EMT Nick is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hemet, CA
Posts: 792
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Last week I got a call from a deputy DA. I testified for her as an expert in a firearms case around seven years ago. She kept my business card, and cell number.

She had a firearms question.

She had a case where a suspect had been arrested on a DV case. At the time of his arrest three firearms had been taken for safe keeping. The DDA had a question as to the "assault rifle" which was one of the firearms taken. Apparently the DA's office was not going to file on the DV allegations and wanted to know whether to file charges related to the "assault rifle".

She wanted to know if the rifle fell under the assault rifle prohibitions. She could only tell me it was a "AR-16 YMH"

I told her that the receiver was not a listed assault rifle, however without actually seeing the rifle there would be no way to tell if it was configured in a legal or illegal way.

She said the rifle was still in police custody, and I offered to go to the PD and inspect it for her if she would arrange it.

Long story short she arranged the inspection and last Thursday I went to the station and inspected the rifle.

It was a legally configured rifle with a properly installed and functioning "bullet button".

So no charges will be filed, and the rifles owner can apply for a LEGR and get his firearms back.



In addition while at the police station I talked at length with the property clerk and the Lt. in charge of the investigations division. I supplied both with copies of the Calguns AW flow chart, as well as the web site info.

Both were impressed with the flow chart, and said it will definitely help them. The property clerk was very new, and asked if she could call me with any firearms questions. I told her of course as I still get calls from my old department.

I also offered to provide a class for the detectives as to current laws regarding "assault weapons". Including bringing examples of legally configured rifles as training aids. The Detective LT was very receptive. So hopefully that will come to fruition.

One small step.....
SVT-40,

You and I have bumped heads in a couple of different threads. We don't see eye to eye on several different topics. I am sure that we will bump heads in the future as well. Having said that, I will say this.

OUT-F@%KING-STANDING JOB OFFICER!!!

When an LEO, I believe a retired one at that, goes out of his way to make sure that an innocent man does not pay a price for something that wasn't illegal to begin with, then there is hope for this state yet!

You Sir, are a credit to LEO's everywhere, and your actions and offers to train in this matter prove it. I wish to personally thank you for your efforts in this matter. You did a service, not only to that paticular defendant, but to California gun owners all over the state!

Thank you, and strong work, Sir!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF/EMT Nick
Guns don't kill people, the little lead things that come out the end really fast do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213
Maybe I should quit my job and just OC all day until my money train pulls up and unjustly arrests me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
OK, I don't know everything about Congress (except that it's the opposite of "progress" )
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:27 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.