Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-09-2011, 3:29 AM
Banned

Default Handled a Glock yesterday, whats up with the mag release?

Who the heck thought having a mag release that cannot be reached without repositioning the hand was a good idea? Then once you reposition your hand your fingers are blocking the opposite side of the mag release stopping it from being pushed.

I wanted to get a glock for the wife in 9mm maybe the 17 or 19 but the trigger pull sucks, the serrated trigger sucks, the mag release is just stupid, the slide release is even more stupid. If you look online the trigger, mag release and slide release are an "upgrade" kit to "fix" the glock and make it usable.

Glock should take a long hard look at the glaring faults in the gun. Looks like Im buying another HK. By the time I buy a Glock and then the upgrade kit Im 80% of the way to an HK and you still have the mag release issue that cant be fixed completely. It takes two hands to release the mag, one to hold the gun and one to push the bizarre button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7bXDDgg9yA
Old 06-09-2011, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Who the heck thought having a mag release that cannot be reached without repositioning the hand was a good idea? Then once you reposition your hand your fingers are blocking the opposite side of the mag release stopping it from being pushed.

I wanted to get a glock for the wife in 9mm maybe the 17 or 19 but the trigger pull sucks, the serrated trigger sucks, the mag release is just stupid, the slide release is even more stupid. If you look online the trigger, mag release and slide release are an "upgrade" kit to "fix" the glock and make it usable.

Glock should take a long hard look at the glaring faults in the gun. Looks like Im buying another HK. By the time I buy a Glock and then the upgrade kit Im 80% of the way to an HK and you still have the mag release issue that cant be fixed completely. It takes two hands to release the mag, one to hold the gun and one to push the bizarre button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7bXDDgg9yA

I have no problem dropping the mag one handed on my Glock 19, right or left hand (i mostly shoot lefty). I'm not sure what your complaining about. And yes, I have the stock mag release in the gun. I find it no different than any other gun that has the mag release in the same position.
-Sandbag-filler who carries around a radio
-That guy, who when given a single, normal M4, hides in the Bradley, and sleeps.
Old 06-09-2011, 3:37 AM
Veteran Member

Another glock bashing thread. Why do you need two hands to release the mag? Thousands of professional shooters and trainers have no issues with it. I shoot with a bunch of very small female shooters and they dont even have an issue with the mag release. I have small hand and I have no issues with it.

Last edited by RollingCode3; 06-09-2011 at 4:04 AM..
Old 06-09-2011, 3:39 AM
Veteran Member

Go ahead and buy that H&K since you hate everything about the Glock..
Old 06-09-2011, 3:41 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingCode3
I shoot with a bunch of very small female shooters

Old 06-09-2011, 3:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Glock should take a long hard look at the glaring faults in the gun. Looks like Im buying another HK. By the time I buy a Glock and then the upgrade kit Im 80% of the way to an HK...
Really? glaring? Tell that to the thousands of police officers that use them and have no issues..

What kit are you looking at? The factory extended part is a bit over 3 bucks and the slide stop is about 10...
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=170748
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=799965

Edited to add:
Forgot you also took issue with the serrated trigger so here's the smooth one
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=535394
I have the 34 that has all these "upgrades" and I have never had to re-position my hand to do a reload, or any of these other issues you have.

Last edited by Chaos47; 06-09-2011 at 3:56 AM.. Reason: To add the smooth trigger link
Old 06-09-2011, 3:52 AM
Veteran Member

Like I said, another Glock bashing thread :/
Old 06-09-2011, 4:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Yea well holding a gun (probably wrong) for 2 minutes makes you an expert on these things ya know
Old 06-09-2011, 4:41 AM

I don't get why you would need to reposition your hand to release the magazine. Even on my G21 which some say has a large grip it's never been a problem for me. I'll give you that the slide release did take me a minute to get used to but I mainly rack by pulling the slide anyways. It took me about $20 and 5 minutes to switch to the extended slide release. Triggers are always a personal preference. I'm so used to Glocks that many 1911's feel twitchy rather than confident. Either way their are plenty different brands and parts out there...you're just not a Glock kind of guy, nothing wrong with that.
"I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology."-Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-09-2011, 5:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Default I think a GLOCK 19 is the perfect 9MM.

A stock Glock works for millions of people.

However, you can change out those parts in 5 minutes for under 30 bucks.

I've never had a problem with the mag release; I do change out some of my Glocks to the extended slide release, especially on my Large Frame Glocks.

I don't have a problem with the serratted trigger on all the models EXCEPT my GLOCK 26....for some reason that trigger burnished my finger when shooting hot Cor-Bon 9MM..so I spent 14 bucks and changed the trigger to the G17 SMOOTH trigger bar. No problems.

As for the trigger, you can install a 4.5 (used to be called the 3.5) Glock factory disconnector; another 5 minute job.

Another idea my friend is to buy a USED Glock; save a bit of money and get one that already has these changes.

My 1992 Gen 2 Glock 17 with my new in box Gen 3 Glock 17OD. The New one has all the mods already.

Another neat weapon is the GLOCK 26 running with Glock 19 magazines and the Mag Sleeve. This is the one I had to change to the smooth trigger bar to keep my finger safe; most people don't have this problem, just me I guess.LOL. Also I installed a 4.5 connector and the extended slide release. I like the magazine release STOCK, because I can easily drop the mag with one hand if needed. These G26s are very accurate and reliable for the money.
Certainly not an HK product, but with several aftermarket items, much more customizable than the HK. And less money.

Be well.
Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 06-09-2011, 5:02 AM

right, you're smarter than glock, that's why no one uses them

hilarious
Old 06-09-2011, 5:25 AM
Calguns Addict

I agree with PC 100%, and I don't think he's trolling. A stock Glock does have a rather short mag release and the serrated trigger is a very common complaint.

I replaced my mag release with this:
http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vic...ock-mag-catch/

I sanded down the serrations on the trigger and thus ended up with a "free" smooth trigger, but a factory version can be found:
Quote:
How can I get a smooth trigger for my compact Glock?
All you need to do is order the "trigger with trigger bar" for a full size Glock (about $15) and replace the trigger. You will need to remove one small pin to disassemble the trigger from the trigger bar.
http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx...rts#trigsmooth

The stock sights are plastic and I'll upgrade mine when I can afford it.

Once you get past all these shortcomings, the Glock is a great gun! (really)

For "out of the box" value nothing beats an M&P, IMO. Steel guide rod, steel sights, nothing to sand or replace (but stock trigger parts benefit from polishing.)
Old 06-09-2011, 5:30 AM

Some people are incapable handling a firearm, deciding that it's not for them and then just move on. They have some sort of twisted need to get on a forum and attempt to bash the snot out of it. Maybe he is compensating for a lack shooting ability?
I have 2 Glocks, the G17RTF2 and the G30, I have no problem manipulating either, come to think of it, neither does my 10 year old.
Old 06-09-2011, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
I agree with PC 100%, and I don't think he's trolling. A stock Glock does have a rather short mag release and the serrated trigger is a very common complaint.

I sanded down the serrations on the trigger and thus ended up with a "free" smooth trigger, but a factory version can be found:

For "out of the box" value nothing beats an M&P, IMO. Steel guide rod, steel sights, nothing to sand or replace (but stock trigger parts benefit from polishing.)
Glock Night Sights are metal. $50.00 upgrade. Look almost identical to my Trijicon. ($130.00.....if memory serves me right)
Old 06-09-2011, 5:37 AM
#BlackLabsMatter
CGN Contributor

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Prerequisite for owning a GLOCK: Man hands
Old 06-09-2011, 5:42 AM

I shif tmy grip to operate the release on the G19/ shot someone elses G26 that had an extende drelease and it sometimes let go of the mag if you put it on the matt right side up/ if every brand fit every one/ how boring would these forums be?
Old 06-09-2011, 6:36 AM

Short thumbs?
Old 06-09-2011, 6:40 AM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

Glaring faults? Grow larger hands, I have no issues with mine. Nor with my 1911's but it doesn't prevent me from adding a larger tricked out piece. Besides if you didn't mod your gun to fit better the world would be full of boring off the shelf guns.
Old 06-09-2011, 6:58 AM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

I've got a G21 and a USP45. Lately, I've been McLovin' on my Glock.

- Gavin Newsom
Old 06-09-2011, 7:03 AM
Veteran Member

No gun is perfect out of the box, but man, I've never seen anyone bawww so hard about a gun not fitting them.

They're built for duty, not competition or target shooting.
Old 06-09-2011, 7:13 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

The OP seems to not understand that hands are different sizes.

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 06-09-2011, 7:32 AM
Calguns Addict

My 1911 was too small for me - Sold it - Bought a G30SF.

Not right - Traded it for a G21 - Happy.

Only took a few hundred rounds through each sidearm to make my decisions....
Old 06-09-2011, 7:37 AM

I know that Glock makes some excellent pistols, but the experience of the OP is exactly what I have encountered; even the G36 is just a hair too long in the grip. I wouldn't say I have small hands, just more squared (not like all those slender, effeminate, Euro hands ).

I'd buy a Glock if they make the G36 into a full size though!

Last edited by plumbum; 06-09-2011 at 7:42 AM..
Old 06-09-2011, 7:43 AM
C3 Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Took me 30 seconds and about 5 bucks to put an extended mag release on mine.

Extended slide release, about 10 minutes (with polishing) and $12.

Stop whining.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 06-09-2011, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

Have a G34 and the grip size is perfect for me, but I guess every user is different. Just because a gun doesn't work out for you, no reason to completely bash it... even worse start a thread about it. Nothing in the OP hasn't been said before. I think the thread would have been more constructive if it asked questions on possible suggestions instead.

Hope you're happy with H&K though, the USP didn't really work out for me and in my personal experience.. Glock trigger (and pretty much every other gun I've had) was an upgrade from a USP (never tried LEM though). Still great guns though.

Last edited by gorenut; 06-09-2011 at 7:48 AM..
Old 06-09-2011, 8:12 AM

Enjoy your HK, more Glocks for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
Grow larger hands
HAHA!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 8:37 AM
Banned

Here is my HK with one hand. No repositioning needed. I was not able, despite my very large hands, to reach the Glocks mag release and push it in. My wife was not able to push the slide release without great effort. She also had difficulty with the mag release even with two hands. No such issues with the HK. The glock needs upgrades I dont care what the voices from kool-aid tells you.

I also assume the Nutnfancy is all wrong about the glock as well thats why he upgraded all the parts on his?

Keep in mind I actually went down to BUY the glock for my wife not bash the glock on some kool-aid drinking forum.

Last edited by problemchild; 06-09-2011 at 8:51 AM..
Old 06-09-2011, 8:38 AM

Quote:

I wanted to get a glock for the wife in 9mm maybe the 17 or 19 but the trigger pull sucks, the serrated trigger sucks, the mag release is just stupid, the slide release is even more stupid. ...

It takes two hands to release the mag, one to hold the gun and one to push the bizarre button.
I had to molest my Glock after reading your post

The mag release is a little awkward and hard to press for a target gun, but it wasn't designed for target shooting. It was designed for the Austrian military. The original Glock mags were designed so that if you accidentally pushed the mag release the (full) mag would stay in the gun and not drop on the ground. The mag release was also designed so someone couldn't accidentally release the mag. Glock changed the mag drop feature because A LOT of people, including law enforcement, complained. I liked the fact that the mags stayed in the gun. Once you (I) get comfortable with the release, it isn't a problem.

The slide release (not slide take-down) could be improved.

The trigger is not serrated on my Glock, so I can't comment. The one thing I don't like about the trigger is that the little plastic safety doesn't fully blend into the trigger when my finger is on the trigger. It is annoying.

If the gun doesn't fit YOU than your observations are correct (for you).

I had a Colt Mustang 380, and EVERTIME the gun fired it would rotate in my hand and the safety would hit my thumb and click on. I could only fire one shot with that gun. It was useless for ME. Nobody else had that problem.
“The most reliable sign, the most universal behavior of unscrupulous people is not directed, as one might imagine, at our fearfulness. It is perversely, an appeal to our sympathy”
Martha Stout – “the sociopath next door”
Old 06-09-2011, 8:40 AM
Banned

Thanks ....

An honest person.

I thought about buying all the parts and then changed my mind. I need to know its going to work for my wife in the store not after I order all the parts to correct the flaws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post

Last edited by problemchild; 06-09-2011 at 8:51 AM..
Old 06-09-2011, 8:45 AM
Banned

There is one thing I do not like about the HK and the reason I was looking at the glock. When you move your thumb to release the slide its all too easy to bump the safety up to the "on" position if you are not careful. I have trained myself to use my left hand to drop the slide and avoid the pitfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Hunter View Post
I had to molest my Glock after reading your post

The mag release is a little awkward and hard to press for a target gun, but it wasn't designed for target shooting. It was designed for the Austrian military. The original Glock mags were designed so that if you accidentally pushed the mag release the (full) mag would stay in the gun and not drop on the ground. The mag release was also designed so someone couldn't accidentally release the mag. Glock changed the mag drop feature because A LOT of people, including law enforcement, complained. I liked the fact that the mags stayed in the gun. Once you (I) get comfortable with the release, it isn't a problem.

The slide release (not slide take-down) could be improved.

The trigger is not serrated on my Glock, so I can't comment. The one thing I don't like about the trigger is that the little plastic safety doesn't fully blend into the trigger when my finger is on the trigger. It is annoying.

If the gun doesn't fit YOU than your observations are correct (for you).

I had a Colt Mustang 380, and EVERTIME the gun fired it would rotate in my hand and the safety would hit my thumb and click on. I could only fire one shot with that gun. It was useless for ME. Nobody else had that problem.
Old 06-09-2011, 9:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Op explain which generation... Because the gen3 mag realease I have heard some problems but I sort of like it. The gen 4 has like a complete new lay out with just about all of the features u have stated... It's gone through a major change..

And just FYI the trigger is like that for the oh SH*T factor for hd when you pull your gun and see and intruder and it ends up being little Jimmy taking a p*ss at 1 am... And also sonyou don't have an accidental discharge un bolstering for LEO/Mil.

I have a feeling you were looking at the gen3 take a look at picking up a 4 in some way. Havnt heard a single bad even from the anti glock guys.. They don like it but it's alright

And if you were fondling a gen4 you are seriously the first to complain about that mag release because that's like half the reason why people want it. The trigger is still stiff but now we know why and you can buy a simple piece to have the slide release have a little lip direct from glock and easier to push. And it's not that glock left it's flaws it's that they have tried fixing it and I thought it was perfect but people complained why did you change it and cried for days about the changes and users like you and my self like thought those changes were nice god pushed away by the flock old timers that don't want anything to change or are scared of the young generation

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 06-09-2011, 9:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Ps the gen 4 also has a slimmer grip than most with the non back strap option... For the guys with the size issues.. Still has the "hump" people hate but it is in deed some what slimed another major change people are talking about non stop in reviews.

Ps I personally don't like the grip angle on the HK.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 06-09-2011, 9:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Prerequisite for owning a GLOCK: Man Card
fixed that.

Old 06-09-2011, 9:39 AM

I have seen folks with short thumbs have difficulties with Glocks. But you know what they say? Guys with short thumbs means they also have short (you know whats) so they are not man enough to own a Glock!heheheheheehehe
Old 06-09-2011, 9:43 AM
Banned

So just how does Sevigny, and all the other USPSA Grand Masters, IDPA Masters, Steel Challenge Grand Masters, and 3 gun Grand Masters manage their Glocks?

Extremely well.....

Old 06-09-2011, 9:49 AM

OP, I had the same problem with the standard mag release on my G17. It just took way too much effort to engage while reloading. Bought a Lone Wolf extended mag release on eBay for about $6, and the problem's all gone.

Love my G17
Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Which trigger is standard on 3gen Glocks? Serrated or smooth?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Here is my HK with one hand. No repositioning needed. I was not able, despite my very large hands, to reach the Glocks mag release and push it in. My wife was not able to push the slide release without great effort. She also had difficulty with the mag release even with two hands. No such issues with the HK. The glock needs upgrades I dont care what the voices from kool-aid tells you.

I also assume the Nutnfancy is all wrong about the glock as well thats why he upgraded all the parts on his?

Keep in mind I actually went down to BUY the glock for my wife not bash the glock on some kool-aid drinking forum.
Take it easy - I think most of us are kidding around. Either the gun fits or it don't but there's nothing wrong with Glocks out of the box. I think your comment about "Glock should take a long hard look at the glaring faults in the gun" is what got folks riled up around here. 1911's are great out of the box but they seem to get a lot of mods done to personalize them.

Last edited by vmwerks; 06-09-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 AM

Should also note that the Gen4, can have the mag release on the other side also. Maybe easier for some to release the mag with their index finger.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:41 AM

Suggesting that "Glock should take a long glaring look at the fault of the gun" is by no means bashing. Somewhere in the world of youtube is a 10 year old girl taking a fighting pistol class from Tactical Response using a Glock 19. Now, it's not necessarily Kool Aid drinking when most anyone can agree that Glocks are pretty damn good for what they are, A simple, No frills, Reliable combat pistol. After having shot a Glock for several years and taken classes with it, I can honestly say that it is ergonomically perfect in terms of weapons manipulation. Don't worry folks, I work in EMS...Arguing with those who are less intelligent will get you nowhere.

It takes two hands to release the mag? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbC5mEc6ipE

Here you go http://getoffthex.com/eve/forums/a/t...1/m/7701099844

Last edited by fullspeed1; 06-09-2011 at 12:09 PM..