Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-01-2011, 9:55 PM
Default 45 colt in Marlin rifle loads

Just wondering if anyone else is using a 45 colt for deer or hogs in a lever gun? If so what are you loading and how did it work for you? I just got my hands on an unfired Marlin model 1894 cowboy and want to work up some loads for it. Any help would be appreciated as rifle data for a 45 colt seems a bit hard to find. I have 20 or so different bullet molds for it as i shoot a Ruger Bisley and a good selection of powders. Now I just need a few good recipes.
Old 06-02-2011, 8:31 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a Marlin '94 that I shoot hot loads through all the time without problem.

Now I don't know if a "cowboy" model is any different than any other Marlin '94 model, but mine also came chambered in 44 Magnum so it's capable of handling close to 44 Magnum pressures.

A .45 Colt can be loaded to out perform a 44 Mag, in modern firearms of course, because with greater case capacity you get lower pressures. I routinely shoot 240 gr. XTP Mags out of mine at 1800 fps and I'm still 10,000psi under 44 mag pressures, according to Quickloads.

Here's a link to a forum discussion that might give you some insight.,67875.0.html
Old 06-02-2011, 8:55 PM
Default Thank you Slash1

I found a great link on that thread by John Linebaugh full of good info.
Thanks a million.