Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:19 PM

Default Hydro Dip info?

Just about to send my Tikka T3 stock out for a camo hydro dip......Has anyone had their stock\barrel hydro dipped? (pics) if so:

1) How is the texture (smooth, rough or ?) of the dip itself....I'm looking to get my stock done and do not want something that gets slippery when wet.

2) How does the "dip" wear....chips\scratches easily.

I've found 2-3 places that will hydro dip a rifle stock for 95.00.

Grazi!
Old 05-31-2011, 1:42 PM

A friend of mine got his Remington 870 dipped. It looks cool (but not for me) and its texture is almost vinyl graphics like. It is not super smooth. More as if the sheet is so thin, that the plastic texture of the rifle can still be felt. I won't slip out of your hand in the rain.
Can't comment of longevity,my friend treats his rifle as it were Gold so he hasn't subjected it to much punishment or harsh environments as of yet.

Since you're in San Diego, try looking up Faith Armory in Temecula. I think they have a source for the dip.
& a bunch of SIG pistols and rifles

**WTB P227 TacOps**
Old 05-31-2011, 3:03 PM

Thanks for the reply, rareair!

I'm a little concerned on the vinyl (knew they used it) getting wet\sweaty. I wish they would utilize some kind of textured vinyl for this application. Although, I guess it's not that much different from how a laminated stock would feel when wet.

Thanks for the Temecula lead too....I found these guys online-

http://www.camo-solutions.com/

http://raindancehydrographics.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareair View Post
A friend of mine got his Remington 870 dipped. It looks cool (but not for me) and its texture is almost vinyl graphics like. It is not super smooth. More as if the sheet is so thin, that the plastic texture of the rifle can still be felt. I won't slip out of your hand in the rain.
Can't comment of longevity,my friend treats his rifle as it were Gold so he hasn't subjected it to much punishment or harsh environments as of yet.

Since you're in San Diego, try looking up Faith Armory in Temecula. I think they have a source for the dip.
Old 05-31-2011, 3:08 PM

The texture should be like a clear coat, since that is what it is. The stock is primed, then dipped in water. The ink floats on the water and adheres itself to the stock. Once the ink is on, it is then clear coated.

I do not have expereince with these guys, but I know of a major and well respected gunsmith that uses these guys.

http://outdoorhydrographics.com/
Old 05-31-2011, 9:26 PM

Thanks, Tony. I think I'm just going to take the plunge on it. I'll post some pics up when I get it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony. View Post
The texture should be like a clear coat, since that is what it is. The stock is primed, then dipped in water. The ink floats on the water and adheres itself to the stock. Once the ink is on, it is then clear coated.

I do not have expereince with these guys, but I know of a major and well respected gunsmith that uses these guys.

http://outdoorhydrographics.com/
Old 05-31-2011, 9:43 PM

If you're worried about texture perhaps you should add some marine tex and texture your stock before the hydrodip?

Its cheap and relatively easy to do and comes out pretty nice.
MY AR Profile #1
Old 06-01-2011, 4:58 PM

Good call! Just need to make sure (with whoever I have perform "the dip") that it's not going to hinder the hydro dip application in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukus View Post
If you're worried about texture perhaps you should add some marine tex and texture your stock before the hydrodip?

Its cheap and relatively easy to do and comes out pretty nice.