Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-30-2011, 8:33 PM

Default Sharps Rifles

I heard from a local smith that there are some European makers of sharps rifles. Anybody know what companies make these? Are they C&R or should I be posting this in Centerfire Rifles? I've really been wanting something similar to the Shiloh Sharps "Quigley" model in 45-110 or 45-90. I know they're expensive to shoot... but they're beautiful guns!
Old 06-01-2011, 8:16 PM

Not C&R. Repros generally aren't. Not muzzleloaders. That leaves modern cartridge firearm, despite beng designed for a black powder cartridge. Need an FFL dealer.

Crunch
Old 06-01-2011, 8:26 PM

Location: Seal Beach (90740) Just south of Long Beach, in Orange County.

google Davide Pedersoli Firearms, Navy Arms, and Aldo Uberti. There are others and one that makes the scaled down "Baby Sharps." Can't remember who, but googling "Baby Sharps" should find them.
Old 06-02-2011, 4:51 PM

Thanks fellas!
Old 06-02-2011, 5:16 PM
Veteran Member

My Sharps is made in Italy by Pedersoli, very happy with it, bought it from the first owner. The base models for C. Sharps & Shiloh are priced about the same as mine but the USA made ones can get pricey when you do the upgrades but then you have a great looking as well as great shooting rifle.

Old 06-02-2011, 6:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The few I saw on GB is quite pricey -
Old 06-03-2011, 7:32 AM

Try C Sharps Arms, they will build you just about any thing you want. They are in the same town a Shilo Sharps, they also will build you anything you want, but the delivery time could be years.

Jim

Tom Waits.
Old 06-03-2011, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Got a real Sharps carbine in 50-70 Govt, I'll sell. $3000.

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 06-03-2011, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like Shiloh as a few already made up for sale.http://www.shilohrifle.com/catalog/p...products_id=33

Old 06-03-2011, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post

PM Sent
Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 AM

first, my 2 cents. even though you might be discussing modern repro sharps, this is the right forum. If not, I am sure the mods will polity correct us.

I recently finally got my first 1874 Sharps, a Shiloh. haven't had a chance to shoot it yet as I am still getting the stuff together to load up black powder cartridges for it.

http://www.shilohrifle.com/
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/guns...rsoli.asp?l=en
http://www.csharpsarms.com/

I bought mine from Shiloh because I wanted to. they had a good reputation for quality and it was US Made. this was my driving factors. It took about 2 years from order to in my house. couple things drive the wait beyond high demand. I chose the Military model and it is my understanding they don't build as many of those as other models. so if you pick something less common or with more customization you add wait time. the other is when the cut off is made for the next batch of rifles your choice falls into.

Shiloh does occasionally have inventory that you can "buy off the shelf", so it doesn't hurt to call an ask if and what might be available.

you can also check with this guy
http://www.shiloh-ballard.com/shiloh...s_for_sale.htm

apparently he is a Shiloh "stocking dealer" or as close as you can get.

I don't know anything about csharps, good, bad or otherwise.

as far as pedersoli goes, seems people either hate them or love them. often for emotional reasons over reasons of real substance. exception being the 1859 line of sharps. hey are prone to "gumming" up faster than Shiloh's, but there are a couple gunsmiths out there that specialize in helping you over come this. once over come, they are supposed to be fairly decent rifles.

basically it's fairly common for unmodified pedersoli 1859's to need to the breach block face cleaned after about 10 shots give or take a couple shots. Shiloh are reported to shoot longer between cleaning the breach block face, double is the "number" that I seem to remember being about average.

the 1874 line of course does not suffer from this issue and will of course run the risk of any mass produced product not being "perfect" 100% of the time. but should not be seen as a automatic knock against them if the company responds correctly if a lemon slips through.

as for the quigley rifle, of course you can get one from Shiloh, but if the price is to much for you or the wait too long, pedersoli does make a "quigley" rifle.

Last edited by 1859sharps; 06-03-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

She's a beauty Bruce -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
Old 06-03-2011, 1:10 PM

I was just watching Legend of the Falls... is that a Sharps the ranch hand uses to "snipe" the deputy during the revenge sequence towards the end?

I love the rifles. Thanks for all the info guys! I think I'm going to save my pennies for a Shilo Quigly w/ the Octagonal Heavy barrel. Wasn't the movie rifle an odd caliber? I remember the scene @ the general store where he tells the owner that a bullet from a .303 will work for the reloads.
Old 06-03-2011, 3:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a Garrett Arms reproduction I have never shot. I have purchased a box of commercial ammo and reloaded a few of my own rounds. Would love to pick someones brains about duplex loads and smokeless loads for a 50-70 sharps.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyous68 View Post
Wasn't the movie rifle an odd caliber?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Quigly
Itís a lever-action, breech loader. Usual barrel lengthís thirty inches. This one has an extra four. Itís converted to use a special forty-five caliber, hundred and ten grain metal cartridge, with a five-hundred and forty grain paper-patched bullet. Itís fitted with double set triggers, and a Vernier sight. Itís marked up to twelve-hundred yards. This one shoots a mite further
Not sure about the sub a 303. If memory serves 303 wasn't around until 1888ish. and I am not entirely sure when quigly took place. post civil war clearly probably mid 1870's.