Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-28-2011, 6:28 AM
Veteran Member

Default Cheap Buffer Tube Kit

Anyone ever heard of "Omega Tactical Manufacturing"?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIL-SPEC-BUFFER-...#ht_1522wt_839

Was looking for a couple of buffer tube kits and found this on ebay. They claim they use high end aluminum, 7075. Anyone know if their claim is true?
Old 05-28-2011, 6:59 AM

If you are concerned then don't buy it and spend a few $ more for something else like this: http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1648.php from a reputable company. Unless of course you are an "operator" and this is for your rifle that will be used in the war on terror as you travel to distant lands on secret missions and hunt high value targets then I would definatly say spend a few more $. For the rest of the budget minded Calgunners here this would meet their needs perfectly or not. Of course if you do buy it and it fails then please post lots of pictures and a long sob story about how saving $15 wasn't worth it in the end so we can all say "you get what you pay for".

The AR platform has been around for decades so there really is nothing new for it that is both revolutionary AND less expensive.
Old 05-28-2011, 7:17 AM
Veteran Member

DSarms sells em cheap too, I was just curious if anyone has ever dealt with "Omega Tactical Manufacturing"

As for your comment on being an operator... if I was an operator, this post wouldn't exist. If someone claimed to be an operator on this forum asking about buffer tubes, well we all know about mr Mall Ninja and how that went.

Sorry, "You get what you pay for" is not always true. No disrespect intended but it's really not.

Let me give you a simple example...

Long ago, my buddy purchased a 4gb CF card for his camera for $800(Back in the days where digital was in its infancy). I found out the same EXACT CF card was what was included in a 4gb mp3 player for $100. I bought it, ripped it apart and used the card and it all worked just fine.

I have countless examples of such things as it's not about the quality vs price ratio but what people are willing to pay... it's about PERCEIVED value.

If the buffer tube link i posted is truly made of 7075 aluminum and costs half that of Palmetto or any other place, then it is a good find and worth saving a few bucks on. If they truly are a manufacturer for "name brands" then its worthwhile.

Case in point... Riflegear uppers... made by Daniel Defense but cheaper... so if you buy one with the DD logo, is it better because it cost more?

Old 05-28-2011, 7:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

thats a really good price if it is really 7075. cheapest 7075 tube ive ever seen is the lmt at close to $44 for just the tube, not the kit.
Old 05-28-2011, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal Industries View Post
thats a really good price if it is really 7075. cheapest 7075 tube ive ever seen is the lmt at close to $44 for just the tube, not the kit.
I love the LMT tube... especially that dry lube stuff... know where you saw it for $44? Do you sell em for $44?
Old 05-28-2011, 7:41 AM

I say go for it, man. They have 100% positive feedback and you can return it if you don't like what you get. If alls on the up and up that's a steal!

As for "you get what you pay for", that's a tired old heuristic people fall back on because they're lazy and/or simply not smart consumers. There are a lot of people out there that take the time to become informed by doing research and subsequently get more value for their dollar.

Sure, lots of the fancy name brands make good product and sometimes that is the best value for your money, but not always. You seem pretty savvy though, so you probably dont need me to tell you this anyhow let us know how the tube pans out!
Old 05-28-2011, 7:51 AM

No thanks. I'd pass. They can't even spell correctly. I'll stay with reputable dealers.
Old 05-28-2011, 8:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
I love the LMT tube... especially that dry lube stuff... know where you saw it for $44? Do you sell em for $44?
http://midwestpx.com/product_info.ph...roducts_id=334

$42

Magpul | Mega Arms | LMT | Hiperfire | ODIN Works | Multitasker
Spike's Tactical | Fortis | Centurion Arms | Limited Capacity PMAGs

FREE SHIPPING ON $150+ ORDERS!
Old 05-28-2011, 8:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I find it hard to believe they found a way to cheaply manufacture an entire kit and used quality parts. The claim of 7075-T7 isn't the point. They could have found a source selling contaminated bar stock that was rejected by QA. The bars are still 7075-T7, just not up to a certain standard. The standard of a buffer tube is quite low.

There is a reason mil-spec is 6061-T6... flex. 6061-T6 while having a lower resistance to corrosion has a higher malleability. It flex's and bends before it breaks.

For $30, I'd buy it, but I wouldn't be telling people it was better than an LMT or even a UTG 6061-T6...its not. Its just an inexpensive kit, in the mil-spec size. Mil-spec is 6061-T6 or 7075-T5 held to a contamination standard.

Whats the spring made of? Whats the buffer made of? The castle nut? What tolerances were the threads held to? How often did the machinist chance bits? Whats the chance my tube will have shallow threads due to a poor rolling? How deep was the Anodizing? What grade was the dip?
Old 05-28-2011, 8:33 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Milspec can be either 6061 or 7075, depending on the contract.

Magpul | Mega Arms | LMT | Hiperfire | ODIN Works | Multitasker
Spike's Tactical | Fortis | Centurion Arms | Limited Capacity PMAGs

FREE SHIPPING ON $150+ ORDERS!
Old 05-28-2011, 8:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post
Milspec can be either 6061 or 7075, depending on the contract.
yup 100% correct.
Old 05-28-2011, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
I find it hard to believe they found a way to cheaply manufacture an entire kit and used quality parts. The claim of 7075-T7 isn't the point. They could have found a source selling contaminated bar stock that was rejected by QA. The bars are still 7075-T7, just not up to a certain standard. The standard of a buffer tube is quite low.

There is a reason mil-spec is 6061-T6... flex. 6061-T6 while having a lower resistance to corrosion has a higher malleability. It flex's and bends before it breaks.

For $30, I'd buy it, but I wouldn't be telling people it was better than an LMT or even a UTG 6061-T6...its not. Its just an inexpensive kit, in the mil-spec size. Mil-spec is 6061-T6 or 7075-T5 held to a contamination standard.

Whats the spring made of? Whats the buffer made of? The castle nut? What tolerances were the threads held to? How often did the machinist chance bits? Whats the chance my tube will have shallow threads due to a poor rolling? How deep was the Anodizing? What grade was the dip?
At $30, i'm going to buy it and try it out. If it breaks... oh well, it's $30. It's my 9th AR anyhow. :P

But thanks for the words of wisdom, allowed me to think it through and make a more informed decision.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THT View Post
This.

Or you could go with the whole kit from PSA with stock for $49.95
http://palmettostatearmory.com/1648.php
Old 05-28-2011, 1:44 PM

I wouldn't take a chance on buying quality parts from a vendor on eBay, especially if the manufacturer of said part isn't even listed on the description. Spend the extra $20 and get a buffer tube from a well respected manufacturer. Better to spend $50 now, than have to spend $80 later ($30/cheap kit + $50 for quality kit)

Not to mention, you'll be back on these forums with a new topic asking "My rifle isn't cycling properly........."
SIG P226 Navy, W. German P226
P226 Scorpion, P226 X5 Competition
SIG P229 E2
SIG SP2022
TROY M7A1