Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-27-2011, 9:03 AM

Default AR 15 Double Tap

I am new to Calguns and I have an AR15 problem.

I have a DSarms lower and a DPMS lower parts kit. I have fired my AR a few time and never had a double tap but my friends have. Yesterday I was out shooting and my AR fired twice when I pulled the trigger. I changed the magazine and fired again and the same thing happened. I then pulled the trigger and held it back and then released and it fired again. It is not the magazine or the ammo I am using. I have check all the springs and they are in the correct place and not upside down.

Thank you for your help.
Old 05-27-2011, 9:05 AM
Vendor/Retailer

You most likely have a problem with the disconnector or the associated spring. Take the FCG apart and fix it ASAP. Don't shoot it until this issue is resolved by you or a competent gunsmith. Have you done a function test on the lower?

How to do the function test is here at 4:40:

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ

Last edited by EBR Works; 05-27-2011 at 9:18 AM..
Old 05-27-2011, 9:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
I then pulled the trigger and held it back and then released and it fired again
worn hammer/disconnector trigger. When you release the trigger it releases the hammer, the disconnector trigger grabs the hammer and waits for the trigger to pull back again.
Replace your disconnector trigger and hammer.

Last edited by dieselpower; 05-27-2011 at 9:26 AM..
Old 05-27-2011, 9:18 AM

Yes I have done a function check and it works just fine.
Old 05-27-2011, 9:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badkarma3015 View Post
Yes I have done a function check and it works just fine.
No it doesnt...

There is a small notch on the bottom of your hammer where the trigger catches it after the disconnector lets it go. the hammer or trigger is not grabbing each other. Ignore my first post, if the weapon stop firing while the trigger is held back, the disconnector is fine..sorry not enough coffee.
Old 05-27-2011, 9:28 AM
Banned

http://www.bushmaster.com/anatomy_bushmaster.asp

hide everything and watch the mechanical action of the LPK. If your firearm fires when the trigger is released, the trigger and hammer are not catching at the bottom.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:16 AM

I'm going to get a replacement lower kit and change everything out.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:45 AM

The disconnector spring has a large side and a small side. If it in upside down a malfunction like the OP described can happen.

Big side goes down. If it is up it hangs up on the knob at the bottom of the disconnector.

It is an easy thing to miss on assembly. GLTY
Old 05-27-2011, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Imana say its ur hammer is out of spec
Old 05-27-2011, 8:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
The disconnecter spring has a large side and a small side. If it in upside down a malfunction like the OP described can happen.

Big side goes down. If it is up it hangs up on the knob at the bottom of the disconnecter.

It is an easy thing to miss on assembly. GLTY
I am sorry, but No it can not. You too need more coffee. The only time a upside down disconnecter spring or worn disconnecter can cause a string is on the trigger pull. After the pull and during forward movement the notches control the hammer.
Old 06-26-2011, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
http://www.bushmaster.com/anatomy_bushmaster.asp

hide everything and watch the mechanical action of the LPK. If your firearm fires when the trigger is released, the trigger and hammer are not catching at the bottom.
I had the same issue today at the range. I disassembled my lower and decided I believe the hammer is worn or out of spec.

I was researching and found this thread. Very helpful and appreciate the Bushmaster link.

I am a little disturbed in that the parts kit is new (Stag, under 1k rounds). I did notice that the hammer in my DPMS lpk in my other lower seems to be "beefier" on the catch lip for the disconnector.

1. Is this common?

2. Is this common with Stag? Other brands?

3. Are there lpk's (not including fancy triggers) that TRULY are worth the extra money, and why?

Thanks.
"Combining blanks and cleaning rods in the M16A2 rifle is not an acceptable means of acquiring “meat for the tribe.” It should be noted it’s a b**ch unpinning a squirrel from a tree and you NEVER get your cleaning rod back."

Last edited by rodeoflyer; 06-26-2011 at 4:04 PM..
Old 06-26-2011, 3:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Tag.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 07-05-2011, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Tag.
Update, for your amusement.

Hammer was fine. Ended up being a bad disconnector spring. It was installed correctly, but it was an 1/8 inch short, and was weak. Rather irritating considering it only had 1000 rounds on it.
"Combining blanks and cleaning rods in the M16A2 rifle is not an acceptable means of acquiring “meat for the tribe.” It should be noted it’s a b**ch unpinning a squirrel from a tree and you NEVER get your cleaning rod back."
Old 07-05-2011, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

backwards hammer spring?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrike View Post
backwards hammer spring?
look up one post.
Old 07-06-2011, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks View Post
look up one post.
oops
Old 07-06-2011, 3:52 PM
Release the Cabinets!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

delete this thread. there is a inherent danger of people that might try this to make a illegal nfa, and that would set us all back. sure the op is trying to fix an issue, but if the backwards springs makes a nfa, wait it till the antis get a hold of that info. yes its a common mistake, yes it happens when you dont want it to, but still
Old 07-06-2011, 3:56 PM
Banned

Sad.
Old 07-06-2011, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
delete this thread. there is a inherent danger of people that might try this to make a illegal nfa, and that would set us all back. sure the op is trying to fix an issue, but if the backwards springs makes a nfa, wait it till the antis get a hold of that info. yes its a common mistake, yes it happens when you dont want it to, but still
No no no! Here on Calguns, we ''mind your own business'' when we see a fellow shooter inadvertently breaking the law. You must not help out an otherwise law abiding gun owner, that would be much too neighborly and polite.

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 07-06-2011, 7:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
I'd check for an upside-down disconnector spring first, and this info has been posted on the web a few zillion times before this thread.

Anecdotal testing with a friend indicates it's not a reliable way to get fa cycling...you'd need a Lightning Link, drop-in-auto-sear (dias), or a receiver with a hole to accept an auto sear and the other associated parts; any of which are nfa items.

"Friend" is also licensed to both sell and produce nfa items.

hth

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

Last edited by -hanko; 07-06-2011 at 7:40 PM..