Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-23-2011, 6:27 PM

Default Which powder/load for 45 Colt in a Marlin 1894

Hey everybody, im new to reloading the 45 Colt. Ill be using it in my Marlin 1894 Cowboy. Ill be using a lead 250 grain RNFP bullet. I have been doing a lot of research and most of the loads im finding are more on the light side for the SAA type revolvers. I cant seem to find much load data for rifles. Im seeing that Unique is a pretty popular powder along with W231. Im leaning towards Unique due to its versatility and popularity. Once i get my load data guide that comes with the Lee die set ill see what that says but im curious what loads you guys use in your rifles. I was thinking about starting off with 9 grains of Unique and go from there. I dont want a light SAA pistol type load but i dont need a high velocity hunting load either, just something in the middle for fun plinking around if that makes sense lol

On a side note, It'd be nice if the powder will work with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, which i hear is not too accurate when it comes to certain powders like Unique, the small flake type powder. What powder measures do you guys use with Unique?
Thanks fellow Calgunners!

Last edited by Thomas1190; 05-23-2011 at 6:32 PM..
Old 05-23-2011, 9:49 PM

The hottest load I find using Unique and a lead 250 bullet is using 8.5grns of Unique. I use the same rifle for Cowboy Action Shooting but my load for that is 5.5grns of Trail Boss with a 205grn cast bullet. It is light. I have no experiance with the Lee powder measure so I cant comment on that. Here is another good source. >> http://www.reloadammo.com/45cload.htm
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 PM

I also used Unique. I've used lead cast bullets and also jacketed mostly 250gr possibly some 230gr? I prefer the jacketed but everyone says dont bother, just use cheap lead and clean harder. They produce negligible recoil in my 1894 cowboy, almost not enough. I also shoot em out of my Vaquero, and the manual I have says hotter loads are fine for Vaqueros and that one shot target pistol the Thompson center Contender, so I always maxed what I found written, but no need to experiment until enough experience to be comfortable with it.

But then I just bought 1000 rounds for $420 from tncartridge.com
Old 05-26-2011, 5:01 PM

Must not have that many rifle 45 colt guys or something lol
Any powder recommendations for something a little more powerful than the standard "cowboy load"?
Old 05-26-2011, 8:16 PM

I'm in the same boat...about to load my first batch...I'm actually shooting cowboy loads so am looking at a load using trail boss powder. I came across this website, same problem with the rifle pistol issue, the load data is specified for pistol.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I think the 45 colt has a long history of being a versatile round, I plan on using my rounds in both pistol and rifle obviously.

In my case was planning on just over the 5.5 grain minimum load using trail boss (for a 200grain bullet)...why not do some test rounds like ten rounds each with a few different loads and check out the results at the range.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesbox View Post
...why not do some test rounds like ten rounds each with a few different loads and check out the results at the range.
Thats probably what ill end up doing. Im still thinking about starting off with 9 grains of Unique, its just a little hotter than the typical CB load. The decision im trying to make now is if i should get a fast burning powder like Unique and W231 or should i get a slower burning powder like H110 and 2400. The latter being better for mid range to crazy hot loads, so ive read. Its just the 45 colt is such a versatile round, you can taylor it to do whatever you want. Theres sooo many powder/load options with this round, makes my head spin haha
Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i wouldn't be making any .45 colt cartridges that i would regret shooting in a revolver

red dot works