Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 AM

Default Grabagun.com review

After reading shooter dudes review here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...light=grabagun

I decided I should check them out. Been wanting a Beretta M9A1 for awhile, and all the recent posts on people getting one spurred me on. The fact that they are now a Calguns vendor/sponsor was also attractive.

Ordered on Monday (website says up to 3 says to process and ship), shipped Thursday (USPS Priority), FFL got it Sat. I wasn't able to DROS til today (Monday)

There is no credit card fee (Budsgunshop charges 3%) and I got free shipping with coupon code "shootcentermass" (don't know how long that will last). $5.99 shipping isn't too bad, anyways. No CA tax for now, but "use tax" to claim later saved money up front as well.

Just DROS'd it this AM with my FFL and pickup is in 10 days. The gun was new and had the typical oiliness to it.

So the Grabagun.com breakdown:
$591 (no tax to CA) + $60 DROS & FFL = $651.00

Typical shop:
$650 + $56.88 (8.75% tax) + $25 DROS = $731.88

It was a smooth transaction overall and I'd do it again, with several items on my wishlist.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Take advantage of the no use tax from FFL while you can.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Your california FFL is supposed to charge you tax on your out of state purchase. I used to complain when some did but some didn't until I learned they are obligated to collect the tax.

If your ffl didn't charge you tax, consider yourself locky this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondalem600 View Post
After reading shooter dudes review here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...light=grabagun

I decided I should check them out. Been wanting a Beretta M9A1 for awhile, and all the recent posts on people getting one spurred me on. The fact that they are now a Calguns vendor/sponsor was also attractive.

Ordered on Monday (website says up to 3 says to process and ship), shipped Thursday (USPS Priority), FFL got it Sat. I wasn't able to DROS til today (Monday)

There is no credit card fee (Budsgunshop charges 3%) and I got free shipping with coupon code "shootcentermass" (don't know how long that will last). $5.99 shipping isn't too bad, anyways. No CA tax for now, but "use tax" to claim later saved money up front as well.

Just DROS'd it this AM with my FFL and pickup is in 10 days. The gun was new and had the typical oiliness to it.

So the Grabagun.com breakdown:
$591 (no tax to CA) + $60 DROS & FFL = $651.00

Typical shop:
$650 + $56.88 (8.75% tax) + $25 DROS = $731.88

It was a smooth transaction overall and I'd do it again, with several items on my wishlist.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at getting a 2nd hand gun and was going trough them when I do it.

Though I kind of want to bang my head against a wall because because I got my M9A1 for 816 OTD. (that was with the HSC test/cert) Take the 25 off for the HSC so that's still $791. You still saved $140. Damn. That 140 could of went into the savings account for the next gun.. grrr..

Either way.. I do like my M9A1. I want to shoot it now but need to wait till Friday.. (payday)
Old 05-23-2011, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Your ffl might not know to collect the tax and you are not obligated to educate him.

If I was ordering a gun from out of state I would ask my FFL to break down all the fees that he will charge me for receiving the gun and drosing it to me and if he says no tax, good for me!

I ordered a gun and had it shipped to an FFL who didn't charge me tax and then did the same with another FFL but he collected the tax. It pissed me off because I thought he was just doing it because he could but I later learned that he was obligated to collect it. The first FFL now knows to collect the tax so I'm all out of FFL's that won't collect the tax.

Had I known or had I asked, I wouldn't have bought that gun. The amount of the tax brought the price of the used gun up to an amount close to a new gun. In that case I would have been smarter to just buy the new gun. It was a Sig and it is the only gun I regret buying. I sold it for a big loss but I chaulk it up as a learning experience!
Old 05-23-2011, 4:06 PM

It's hard for me to pay tax to a state (for a gun!) that consistently votes to restrict my 2nd amendment rights, but that is another thread.

Even if tax was collected, the savings would have been about $30.

My point is, if you know what you want shopping from the Internet is great, and for some preferred. I just wanted to say that Grabagun is not as established as say, Buds, but my experience will likely make me a repeat customer.
Old 05-23-2011, 4:52 PM

If I had the cash for the XD I've been looking at I'd be going to Grabagun right now.
Old 05-23-2011, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondalem600 View Post
It's hard for me to pay tax to a state (for a gun!) that consistently votes to restrict my 2nd amendment rights, but that is another thread.

Even if tax was collected, the savings would have been about $30.

My point is, if you know what you want shopping from the Internet is great, and for some preferred. I just wanted to say that Grabagun is not as established as say, Buds, but my experience will likely make me a repeat customer.
Grabagun did great by me and I saved almost $100 on a new FNP-9 vs buying at Turners at the sale price of $499 which is about every other week. I used T&A Armory in Santa Ana as the receiving FFL and all I paid was $40 for the transfer and $25 for the DROS.....Just sayin :-)