Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 AM

Default 1N09 Shooting Area in San Bernardino National Forest

Hi everyone was curious if anyone ever heads to 1N09 up in San bernardino National Forest. With highway 330 being closed we had to take Alder Creek Rd to Old City Creek Rd. There are multiple designated sites all along the roadway with plenty of private spots. It took us over an hour and half becaue of 330 being closed and having to go all the way through the backend via Alder Creek.

We were able to shoot for several hours, no one else came around, had lunch, it was a great day.

Perhaps one of the more remote spots but prob due to the road conditions. Curious to see if anyone else visits this spot at all.

You do need an adventure pass btw, we didn't encounter any rangers but you need it.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normancay View Post
Hi everyone was curious if anyone ever heads to 1N09 up in San bernardino National Forest. With highway 330 being closed we had to take Alder Creek Rd to Old City Creek Rd. There are multiple designated sites all along the roadway with plenty of private spots. It took us over an hour and half becaue of 330 being closed and having to go all the way through the backend via Alder Creek.

We were able to shoot for several hours, no one else came around, had lunch, it was a great day.

Perhaps one of the more remote spots but prob due to the road conditions. Curious to see if anyone else visits this spot at all.

You do need an adventure pass btw, we didn't encounter any rangers but you need it.
The forest spots are usually pretty popular. But the forest service closes them periodically for fire season, road problems, etc. That's why we don't show the areas on the county shooting map.
You have to keep checking their website, or calling them to see if the spot your interested in is open. Because of the hassle, some people stop using the forest spots. As far as I know they just recently re-opened the forest spots up a month or so ago, so many people may think they're still closed. So enjoy the seclusion up there. It should get crowded once summer comes along.

Old 05-23-2011, 1:06 PM

For those who do go up there in the SBNF, please pick up after yourselves. Makes it easier for us that Volunteer in the Adopt-A-Trail program to maintain those roads..

That being said.. I do need to get up there and check that range out now that I have something to shoot up there.

Pulled from the the USDA website

Quote:
Access from both sides (Hwy 330 and Bear Creek) is closed to vehicles due to road damage. Shooters must call ahead to the Mill Creek Ranger Station (909) 382-2882 to find out the Forest Use Guidelines (Activity Levels) before shooting.
Guess I need to find out who maintains the roads getting there and see if I can help them fix the road.

Last edited by SpectreZ91; 05-23-2011 at 1:12 PM..
Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Bump
Old 05-28-2011, 12:57 PM

We go up there all the time. If it's closed for shooting we will go up just for the adventure.

We're about a mile from Alder creek rd. How has the drive been?
Like Us On Facebook: For Specials and Giveaways!

Local Hikes and Outings:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=388930
Check out the Riverside/Inland Empire Roll-Call Thread!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=137427
Old 05-29-2011, 6:37 AM
Veteran Member

Well the san bernardino national forest website says 1n09 is closed to shooting. So what do you do if the forest service shows up while you are there shooting?
Old 05-30-2011, 9:30 AM

I guess you would pack up and leave if asked to. I've never been shooting when I knew it was closed so I'm not sure how they handle that situation.

Local Hikes and Outings:
Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Depending what kind of mood the guys in, he'll either warn you or cite you. But according to their website, they're open for walk in shooting. http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...2520Activities

Last edited by 5shot; 05-30-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Old 06-03-2011, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
Depending what kind of mood the guys in, he'll either warn you or cite you. But according to their website, they're open for walk in shooting. http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...2520Activities
Kind of a long walk toting all your shooting gear

Local Hikes and Outings:
Old 06-04-2011, 11:42 AM

If anyone of you plan to go to shoot in San Bernardino National Forest please let me know, I would love to join up.
Old 06-06-2011, 9:10 AM

I've been wondering if anyones taken the trouble to go up there with the 330 closed. I actually called mill creek to see if they were going to open it over Memorial day with 330 being opened for the weekend and they told me "probably not", not enough man power to open and close it everyday.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:39 AM

Just spoke to Mill Creek and they're still not open due to damage to the road leading down to target area. However it's open to foot traffic, which I really don't understand.

I might drive up there this weekend and see.
Old 06-24-2011, 8:37 PM

Having never been there how long is the hike? And where would you even park your vehicle?
Old 06-26-2011, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
Just spoke to Mill Creek and they're still not open due to damage to the road leading down to target area. However it's open to foot traffic, which I really don't understand.

I might drive up there this weekend and see.
Did you make it there? From what I heard from some of the OHV Volunteers, the main road (1N09) has been graded, so it may only bea short hike to the shooting area. If the gate on the 330 side is open, it will save the drive from either Greeenspot Rd or the 38.
Old 06-28-2011, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IETonyR View Post
Did you make it there? From what I heard from some of the OHV Volunteers, the main road (1N09) has been graded, so it may only bea short hike to the shooting area. If the gate on the 330 side is open, it will save the drive from either Greeenspot Rd or the 38.
No I never had a chance to go up there, I'll call again on Thursday to check with them (their closed Tues and Wed). I'm going to assume with the extreme heat we've been having they'll be closed anyways (fire danger), so it looks like we missed the window this year.
Old 06-28-2011, 8:13 PM

From the USFS WebsiteShooting Area closed for the remainder of the fire season on July 1, 2011 Access from both sides (Hwy 330 and Bear Creek) is closed to vehicles due to road damage. Shooters must call ahead to the Mill Creek Ranger Station (909) 382-2882 to find out the Forest Use Guidelines (Activity Levels) before shooting.

Might have to see if the areas on 2N93 are still open