Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-22-2011, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

Angry Thats it im done with PMC 62 grain green tip ammo

Its been the basic diet for my AR,s and FNH FS2000 for over a year now, i figured that this 62 grain ammo would be best for the 1 in 7 twist barrels which my rifles have.
Im thinking this particular brand is unstable in flight, accuracy is nether constant. Granted im not the best rifle marksman but at a hundred yards its very hard just to get grouped shots.
Even went so far to re sight my ACOGs thinking they might be off but still every shot seems to land wildly on the target all shot from bench rest.

Do i need to buy Black hills ammo to get the best result from my rifle and ACOG and is it really worth it.

Before i switched to the PMC 62 grain i used PMC 55grain im thinking way back then i had better results. closer groups but only switched to 62 grain with the belief that a heavier bullet would be better for the 1in7 barrels.

Whats your thoughts on heavier bullets and PMC green tip brand.
Old 05-22-2011, 7:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

1/7 should stabilize anything... it can even spin the jackets off of 55gr and it's too much for 45gr.
62gr is fine in a 1/9.
PMC is just cheap Korean ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-22-2011, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

try some different brands...never shot PMC...guess I won't now
Old 05-22-2011, 8:47 PM

I have shot 1500 rounds with some mixed results. The strange thing is that it shoots well at 50, 100, 300yrds, but not as well at 200? I use a match grade 20" 1 in 8 twist. The first three distances within 1 MOA. 200 however I get what appears to be flyers? 200yrd, 2 to 3 MOA? The price is right, $289.00 per 1000. Ok for plinking. Ok brass.

What kind of results are you getting on paper?
Old 05-22-2011, 8:57 PM
Dinosaur

Mebbe its worse now but a dozen and a half years ago I remember PMC doing pretty well in my bullpup. Seemed to exceed wolf brand a little.

How is it at intermediate distances for you?
Old 05-22-2011, 9:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Who told you 62 was the best for 1:7? Its do-able, but your barrel is probably not exactly 1:7, especially if its button rifled and by heavy...69gr is where 1:7 does its best work.

Old 05-22-2011, 9:37 PM

WHat diesel said. I'M having the same problem so I'm going to get some 69 grain bullets to load up.

Manuel Mondragón, a Mexican General, began work in 1882 and patented the first gas-operated weapon in 1887.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:05 PM

You're expecting middle of the market ammo to perform like high-end stuff?

When shooting from a bench, is the rifle clamped down to a professional-grade shooting rest to remove human error from the equation?
SIG P226 Navy, W. German P226
P226 Scorpion, P226 X5 Competition
SIG P229 E2
SIG SP2022
TROY M7A1
Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Dieselpower that chart helps, and to all who answered.

Lately ive been shooting the FNH FS2000 over my ARs this also might contribute slightly to the wild MOA im getting which can go from 1 to 2 MOA to impacts scattered across my 7 inch target. The trigger on the FS 2000 is not like my ARs its not smooth i guess thats the down side to the bullpup, however i have learned to pull back the trigger a fraction holding it there until im on target and then pressing all the way,i call this edging the trigger im sure there is a technical term, at that point in time it fires as if it has a really short reset trigger.

Its really hard to gauge with a 4X magnification ACOG at a hundred yards just which groups actually belong to each over in a shooting period, ill get the 1 and 2 MOA then ill get wild shots even though ive been on point with the crosshairs.

Today was just horrible plus it was a little windy but at a hundred yards how badly can that affect the flight pattern?

I did get a bullseye and to the left and right below the bullseye i had 2 more hits all within 1 MOA but i cannot say that those 3 shots were fired in succession.

Ive always been confined to be a 100 yard plinker at my local range, so maybe im asking to much unless i want to shell out for higher priced ammo.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Oh yer i can always be seen carrying one of them around with me

Nice pic.
Old 05-23-2011, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareair View Post
You're expecting middle of the market ammo to perform like high-end stuff?

When shooting from a bench, is the rifle clamped down to a professional-grade shooting rest to remove human error from the equation?

If you are determining ammo accuracy follow rareair's advice.

If you are trying to find the best ammo for your gun you will need to try many different brands and weights. Match ammo 69 or 75 grain is where I would be looking, it will give you the best results with your twist for but at price$$.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I used two C-clamps and clamped my AR to my Ford Ranger...LOL
Old 05-23-2011, 8:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Even at 100 yards, a gusty or inconsistent wind can still eff with you.
Remember when George on Top Shot was talking about wind on the 1000yd .50 cal shot?
Same thing on a smaller scale.
The wind that you feel at the bench isn't the wind that's on the target... and you may even have a reverse flow mid-range. This is really common with outdoor ranges that are situated in canyons with high berms to separate individual ranges (cough... Burro... cough).
The wind blows across the berms and literally turns into a horizontal rotation called "rotor" by pilots. It's not unlike wind shear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-23-2011, 8:18 PM
NRA Training Counselor
CGN Contributor

maybe switch to Wolf Ammo

NRA Certified Instructor
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

Smog Inspections in the Sacramento area.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Calguns Addict

I hear of fantastic results from PMC bronze .223 55 gr fmj ammo. Maybe it's just the X-Tac line that is hokey. It is usually cheaper than LC or Winchester green tip ammo.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563