Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:03 PM

Default Trijicon RMR red dot on my Glock 19

Got my TSD-19 slide today from One Source Tactical (Gabe Suarez & company). Complete slide with 6.5 MOA Trijicon RMR LED, stainless barrel & recoil spring, complete internals, and suppressor sights. I'm using my factory barrel since I like the all black look.

I went to the range tonight and dialed in the RMR. It takes a little getting used to, but as long as you focus on the sights and not trying to look for the red dot, then the red dot will appear on its own once you have the suppressor sights aligned on the target. Then it's really easy to keep both eyes open and shoot the target fast since you're co-witnessing with the sights. I was hitting dead center at 20 yards easily tonight.

Can't wait to take it with me to TX next week and play around with my AAC can, since I now have taller sights to see over it.

My new CA HD setup.

When playing around with it compared to my factory slide with Trijicon night sights, the night sights are better if it's pitch black and you're not running a light on the gun. But as soon as that light comes on, you can't see the night sights. With the RMR, you can still see the red dot when the light is on so it's much easier to acquire a target more accurately. I want to play around with this during a night shoot or low light class.

The Glock with RMR and suppressor sights still fits perfectly in my Fobus Evolution holster. No modifications were needed.

Last edited by DaveFJ80; 05-27-2011 at 5:32 PM..
Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Banned

Sweet. Im glad you posted a pic of how big the dot is. Seeing that I think I'm going to get the largest dot possible (I think they have a 13 moa one). Not to bring you down, but I think if you would have gone bigger, then it would have been much easier/faster to pick up. At the same token, you will be much more accurate with the smaller dot.

BTW, what material is on your grip? It looks really sticky!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, thats pretty awesome.

It's too bad nobody does these kinds of modifications for Sigs...
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Old 05-21-2011, 12:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

That is sweet!
Old 05-21-2011, 1:04 AM

Thanks for the post. Looks great!
Old 05-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Been in the.market for a fnp 45 tac......but I have a G20 that wil be recieving the treatement now instead.....thanks for inspiration.
Old 05-21-2011, 1:52 PM

Very nice
Old 05-21-2011, 2:36 PM

Damn. Now thats sexy...
Old 05-21-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeRebel View Post
BTW, what material is on your grip? It looks really sticky!
Decal Grip rubber grip. Easier on my hands than the sand paper material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjawho? View Post
Been in the.market for a fnp 45 tac......but I have a G20 that wil be recieving the treatement now instead.....thanks for inspiration.
I too was also looking into the FNP 45 Tactical models. But after getting the FNP and the RMR and a few other things, you're almost at $2k. Plus, I love shooting my Glock and I'm used to that. When I saw this setup being ran, I decided to go with this route.

I know OSD carries the G20 complete slides, as they had a couple for sale recently with the Trijicon RMR and suppressor sights
Old 05-24-2011, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

With all this talk about red dots on pistols, I'm intersted in one now but dont want to spend as much. What other options are there?
Old 05-24-2011, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

how much $$$ for the complete upper if you don't mind me asking?

TeamBosing Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/teambosing?feature=mhee

NEED LEAD BULLETS??? PM ME!
Old 05-25-2011, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM44 View Post
With all this talk about red dots on pistols, I'm intersted in one now but dont want to spend as much. What other options are there?
I've seen DeltaPoint reflex sights that will fit into the rear sight slot so you don't have to mill the slide, but they're still expensive ($350-$400 from what I've seen). Plus, I've only seen them with a 3.5 MOA, which is very small for a handgun but perfect for a long gun. Most people recommend a 6.5 or 8 MOA reflex sight for a handgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdad View Post
how much $$$ for the complete upper if you don't mind me asking?
Everything was $1400, but that's the complete slide with mill work and 6.5 MOA Trijicon RMR-A (new & improved model), stainless barrel & recoil spring, complete internals, and suppressor sights. I could've paid about $500 less if I sent in my original slide, but I like having a complete spare slide to use.... or sell later if I ever decide to, but I doubt it since it's so much fun to shoot this way .
Old 05-25-2011, 8:46 AM

That mounts on real nice, thats a real nice G19

USMC 96-00 1/4 Weapons Company Dragons Plt
Old 05-27-2011, 5:39 PM

I took the gun out to the range today doing some different distance shoots, from 7 yards, 15 yards, and 25 yards onto a small 6" shoot-n-c target. As long as you hold the gun steady and have a clean trigger pull, you're always going to put a bullet exactly where the red dot is on the target.

I felt like I was cheating or something when I was putting a 2" grouping at 7 yards away. Even at 25 yards, as long as you take your time with your stance, grip, and breathing, then it's very easy to still keep a tight grouping at that distance. The funny thing was seeing the other guy's reaction in the lane next to me when he saw that I was shooting a handgun at that range and getting better groupings than he was with his scoped 10/22.

I also updated the 1st post with the gun in my Fobus Evolution holster. The RMR clears perfectly and so do the suppressor sights. No modifications needed, whereas I've seen people having to cut their holsters in order to clear the RMR (Serpa was one of them).
Old 05-31-2011, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFJ80 View Post
I've seen DeltaPoint reflex sights that will fit into the rear sight slot so you don't have to mill the slide, but they're still expensive ($350-$400 from what I've seen). Plus, I've only seen them with a 3.5 MOA, which is very small for a handgun but perfect for a long gun. Most people recommend a 6.5 or 8 MOA reflex sight for a handgun.
There's a triangle "dot" that's 7.5 MOA for the DeltaPoints. Leupold calls it a "delta" instead of a "dot." See http://www.leupold.com/tactical/prod...-reflex-sight/.
Old 05-31-2011, 9:17 PM

Turn off all the lights, then work your presentations without the suppressor sight for a reference. May want to get some suppressor night sights.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeRebel View Post
Not to bring you down, but I think if you would have gone bigger, then it would have been much easier/faster to pick up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFJ80 View Post
Most people recommend a 6.5 or 8 MOA reflex sight for a handgun.
............ ^ +1 - I've got the 8 moa led RMR.
Old 06-01-2011, 1:02 PM

Wow! That looks awesome! I might be sending my M&P down to them to get it done as well. I like how they place the sight behind the RMR instead of putting it in front like others. Not bad at all.

Do you notice a change in your POI with the suppressor sights?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Looks great! I've been thinking about doing the same thing to my Glock 34.

I wonder though why people generally choose the LED vs the Dual Illumination?

How much did it cost to get the RMR installed?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow. Neat setup. The Calgunner I picked up my G34 slide from, has a similar setup with his G27 and G35. Says this setup has done wonders for him.
Old 06-09-2011, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Preference. Red dot vs. Amber dot. 8/6.5 moa dot vs. 13/9/7 moa dot. CR2032 battery vs. Fiber optic/tritium. I prefer the red dot and its intensity as well as the fact that the battery life is well over a year.
Old 06-09-2011, 3:29 PM

Looks good! I am debating on the sight,sights for my g30 was thinking the dot would drown out my target. I looked at a Leopold delta point 3.5 moa looked kind of big for me. Then again I am used to my eotec.1 moa. Yours looks good.
Old 06-09-2011, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

Looks good. I want to see some pics with the suppressor

PM me for electrical work
Old 06-09-2011, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Like the previous guy said with the differences, those are the main things. Also, the 1 main thing is that some places (other countries) may not have the CR2032 battery readily available to them. Where as, you can go down to most stores in your area (Target, Walmart, any drug store) and find one of these batteries.

Lots of people have tested these Trijicon RMR's and the battery has lasted them well past a year. You don't notice the red dot not powering on, but rather it slowly fading to a lighter glow (which you could just adjust & brighten up with the RMR-A). Mine has 8 settings, and I have to keep mine on 2 or 3 since anything beyond that is too bright and the dot gets too big for me.

After playing around with it more and having my novice shooter wife shoot with the RMR on the Glock, it has really changed her shooting and accuracy. She has a poor stance, poor grip, and her aim is either dead on or all over the place (a lot of times not even on the paper at 7 yards out). With the red dot, I tell her to put the dot onto the center of the target and pull the trigger.... she can now put a decent grouping onto the paper at 7 yards. Albeight, it's not a small quarter-sized grouping, but it's still all center body mass within a 12" radius. IMO, that's a vast improvement in her aim than without it.
Old 06-09-2011, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707electrician View Post
Looks good. I want to see some pics with the suppressor

I already posted this in the Glock gallery thread, but here you go. My TX setup