Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-19-2011, 7:46 PM

Default mosin nagant serial numbers question

Hi guys, I just bought one of these the 91/30 and all the numbers match on what I had read are the 4 areas that are supposed to match, bolt, barrel,underside of magazine, and back stock plate. but then I open up the bolt and see another number on the receiver, which is something like PHO33244 type thing. everything I have read talks about the 4 main areas where to look for serial numbers and none of them mention this number on the receiver. also mine has orange paint on the barrel serial numbers and on the sights. it's an iztec says 1943. I think it's a century arms import that was refurbished after the war. but I don't get the numbers thing. none of the serial numbers are crossed out and no engraving type thing on it.
does this mean that the receiver is not a match with the barrel? but the bolt is? the action on the bolt is smooth as silk and overall in great condition. thanks for any help
Old 05-19-2011, 8:19 PM

Check here. Good place to start. PAX
http://7.62x54r.net/

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington), but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. Sent from behind the KaliKurtain echo1
Old 05-19-2011, 9:07 PM

EDIT: nevermind what i originally said. i was thinking it was under the receiver.

PHO33244 is it's new serial number. the serial number the US Government recognizes. it was put there by the importer. we don't allow the use of cyrillic letters in guns' serial numbers.

"iztec"

Izhevsk, actually.

Last edited by mauser98k; 05-19-2011 at 9:19 PM..
Old 05-19-2011, 9:14 PM

yes I looked over that site, and couldn't find anyting about this area for numbers. all it talked about was the normal areas of the barrel, butstock, bolt, and magazine and all the tons of markings from various factories, etc but nothing about this area where I see the PHO1234 numbers. i'ts not that big of a deal at all I'm just curious if all the parts are matching or not. if it shoots well, then I'm happy but I dont' quite get why I can't find anything on these numbers. if you look to the left of this bad photo(had to make it tiny due to the upload limits) you'll see the number I am talking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0158.jpg (99.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-19-2011, 9:16 PM

thank you mauser, that clears it up for me, sorry about the bad spelling, I got lazy. I actually was married to a russian for 6 years and learned some of the language and know the alphabet and how to pronounce it. this was really confusing me, thanks a lot.

Last edited by fredgarv; 05-19-2011 at 9:19 PM..
Old 05-19-2011, 9:20 PM

ok you are not sure about that? after looking at the photo? ok, thanks for clearing that up, that makes sense. here's a better photo, what do you think about the orange painted numbers? I think it's a century arms import, it has a name on the front barrel from tennesee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0159.jpg (90.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by fredgarv; 05-19-2011 at 9:26 PM..
Old 05-19-2011, 9:23 PM

i've never seen a number there. i assumed it was a new serial number or parts number. now i'm not sure what to think
Old 05-19-2011, 9:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Be glad they stamped it where they did instead of the huge billboard that is usually plastered on the side of the receiver. I have a few stamped like yours and you can't see it when the bolt is closed, so it's not too horribly intrusive.

It's odd that they gave it a whole new number... usually they just translate the Cyrillic prefix into English and use the same number suffix.

Anyhow, nice rifle
Old 05-19-2011, 9:31 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
...It's odd that they gave it a whole new number... usually they just translate the Cyrillic prefix into English and use the same number suffix...
All of my Mosin-Nagants that were imported after ATF started requiring the new serial number have completely new made up numbers. The M44 serial numbers start with 44- and the M91/30 serial numbers start with 9130-.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 05-19-2011, 9:39 PM

here's a photo of the whole thing, can't wait to shoot it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0164.jpg (89.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-19-2011, 9:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
All of my Mosin-Nagants that were imported after ATF started requiring the new serial number have completely new made up numbers. The M44 serial numbers start with 44- and the M91/30 serial numbers start with 9130-.
I've had a few like that too, but those are all numbers and don't have letters mixed in. I guess it all depends on who imported it and how they decided to comply with the law.

I've got a 1927 Tikka M-91 that is stamped in the same location as the OP's, and they used the 4 digit serial number and the "C" which is actually the bore measurement and not part of the serial. It's funny how different all this stuff ends up

Old 05-19-2011, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser98k View Post
i've never seen a number there. i assumed it was a new serial number or parts number. now i'm not sure what to think
Ive seen them there before but its not very common. Usually you see them on the side or top of the receiver ring.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 05-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Calguns Addict

As far as the rifle's serial numbers go, they are force matching.

The parts currently on the rifle are not those it had when it left the Izhevsk factory in 1943, they are the parts put on the rifle when it was refurbished, probably sometime in the 70's.

It's nothing to be concerned about, force matching is the norm for refurb mosins.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

All dot matrix stamped numbers are from the importer. Soviet Russia didn't have that back in the day

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785