Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-19-2011, 1:13 PM

Default 45 colt Hard Cast bullets for hunting

I've been searching the web for some hard cast bullets to load up for the upcoming deer season but there are so many choices out there. Who do you guys use for your hunting bullets?

I'm going to be shooting these 45 Colt loads out of a ruger super redhawk and a marlin 1894 at ruger load pressures.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 4:10 PM

Try missouribullet.com. They have 6 different (weight/shape/hardness) bullets that might work for you.
http://www.missouribullet.com/result...5&secondary=14
Old 05-19-2011, 7:15 PM

I know only a purest use cast lead bullets for deer hunting. I guess your one of them. That I like. All my data only shows copper jacket bullets for hunting loads for the .45 Colt. All the lead data is for reduced power target loads. I have to ask. Why are you not going to use a jacketed bullet and why not use 454 Casull in the Ruger SRH? What bullet weight are you interested in using? Im thinking the heavier the better. Are you looking for something with a gas check or moly coated to be able to push them at a higher velocity?
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 05-19-2011, 7:24 PM

I've had good luck with these:

http://www.laser-cast.com/
Old 05-19-2011, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, you don't need "hard cast" like BHN 22 and such. I use BHN 15-16 in my "Ruger-only" .45 Colt loads (also out of a SRH 454), and BHN 12 (e. g. straight wheel weights) will also work just fine.

Why not shoot .454 Casull out of it, since it's chambered for it? Because I like the bones in my hand as they are! A "Ruger load" .45 Colt is much more than enough to take down Bambi. Remember that SAAMI-spec .45 Colt, including the original 40-grain black powder load, has been successfully used on deer for nearly 140 years, so a 30,000 PSI Ruger load for .45 Colt will most certainly do the job.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 05-19-2011, 7:56 PM

I've already decided on the 250gr xtp for my jacketed loads but I also wanted a cast bullet in the 300gr range to test out. I will eventually load up some 454casull but all I have right now is 45LC brass. Since my marlin 1894 is chambered in 45LC I would like to make a standard hunting load for both.
Old 05-19-2011, 8:09 PM

Any 250 or 255 grain SWC or RNFP lead bullet should git 'r done. The RNFP will feed much better in the Marlin. Try about 12 grains of Herco or 16.5 grains of Blue Dot. (Those are not max loads but they are close. You can load hotter than that if you use 2400, 800X, Enforcer, or W296.)
Old 05-19-2011, 8:34 PM

I have some 2400 left from loading 44mag, i'll start with that.

anyone use these bullets before? Their prices seem pretty reasonable.
http://www.bulletsdirect.com/
Old 05-19-2011, 8:36 PM

Penn Bullets 270 grain thunderhead.
Left, not "liberal", not what gets called "left" in American politics, Actually Left, like the government shouldn't be set up to favor certain groups, radically and fanatically left, like the ideas in the American Constitution (except that crap about 3/5ths of a person).
Old 05-19-2011, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
Actually, you don't need "hard cast" like BHN 22 and such. I use BHN 15-16 in my "Ruger-only" .45 Colt loads (also out of a SRH 454), and BHN 12 (e. g. straight wheel weights) will also work just fine.

Why not shoot .454 Casull out of it, since it's chambered for it? Because I like the bones in my hand as they are! A "Ruger load" .45 Colt is much more than enough to take down Bambi. Remember that SAAMI-spec .45 Colt, including the original 40-grain black powder load, has been successfully used on deer for nearly 140 years, so a 30,000 PSI Ruger load for .45 Colt will most certainly do the job.
I dont find the recoil of the .454 Casull being harsh at all. Havent shot one in years but I did compared it to a .44 Mag and it wasnt that much more punishing. Nothing compared to the 460s and 500s we have today. Satisfaction would be great to drop a deer with a bullet that was once on a cars wheel at one time...
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Southpaw45; 05-19-2011 at 8:58 PM..
Old 05-19-2011, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGoldman View Post
Penn Bullets 270 grain thunderhead.
nice looking chunk of lead but i doubt it will feed in my marlin.
Old 05-20-2011, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengk View Post
nice looking chunk of lead but i doubt it will feed in my marlin.
Nope, prolly won't. Sorry. Only paying half attention. Although, it almost feeds in a win '92 clone (just a tad too long, but would otherwise).
Left, not "liberal", not what gets called "left" in American politics, Actually Left, like the government shouldn't be set up to favor certain groups, radically and fanatically left, like the ideas in the American Constitution (except that crap about 3/5ths of a person).
Old 05-20-2011, 9:37 PM
C3 Coordinator
CGN Contributor

If you're going to shoot .454 Casull, you should probably be looking for gas checked cast lead bullets, unless you really enjoy cleaning your barrel.

I shoot cast .45 Colt, .454 and .460 S&W but I keep the velocities under 1000fps. Some say you can go up to 1400, but I have JHP loads if I need that that'll do 2000fps.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 05-21-2011, 7:23 AM

The loads I gave earlier will deliver 1250 to 1300 fps with plain-base lead bullets in a 7.5" revolver with little-if-any leading.