Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-19-2011, 8:33 AM

Default Which AR Is Currently Used In Marine Boot Camp?

Can any current/recent Marines tell me the AR configuration that is currently used in Boot camp?
Is it the M4?
What rear sight is used (to train to sight-in, for example)?
Thanks!
Old 05-19-2011, 9:03 AM

Should just be a beat up M16A2 with iron sights, unless things have changed.
Old 05-19-2011, 9:04 AM

Iron sights and M16A2 last I heard.
Old 05-19-2011, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

In boot camp, you get all the crappy stuff, no M4, just plain old beat up M16A2 with iron sight. However, after graduating from boot camp, you start seeing high speed, low drag stuff in fleet.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

16 A2
Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 PM

I went to boot camp in the summer of 2008, and was issued a M16A2. During MCT, we were all issued M16A4s.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 05-19-2011, 2:16 PM

Back in '02 we were issued beat up M16A2s...some were manufactured by Colt, some were by FN...the FN A2s were usually newer.

Be careful with the rifle you're issued. Some of the barrels were incorrectly torqued. My rifle had a loose barrel and I DQ'd at the rifle range the first time out. The armorer and PMI both spotted the problem, fixed it, and I scored expert right after that.

Then in MCT I got another busted up A2, this time the gas tube was broken, so it wasn't cycling at all. I had to manually chamber each blank during a lot of exercises, but I guess according to the devil above that they're now using A4s, that's a good thing.

Those things are literally beat to ****.

Once you're in the fleet, you'll see the nicer M16A4s and M4A4s.

I still remember our unit receiving brand new M4A4s still greased up in those blue plastic bags from Colt.
Old 05-19-2011, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvnqsrxk View Post
Iron sights and M16A2 last I heard.
Thats what we got.

USMC 96-00 1/4 Weapons Company Dragons Plt
Old 05-19-2011, 3:12 PM

Don't expect the receivers to fit well together either.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.”

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 05-19-2011, 3:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Noveske or DD, because theres none comparable to them!

I think the same ones they've been using for Yeeaarrsss
Old 05-19-2011, 4:07 PM

I was just at Edson Range watching recruits qual. They are using brand new M16A4.

They are sending some cycles through using iron sights and others using RCO's. HQMC will compile that data to determine wether or not they wish to continue instructing recruits marksmanship using irons or optics.
Old 05-19-2011, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
I was just at Edson Range watching recruits qual. They are using brand new M16A4.

They are sending some cycles through using iron sights and others using RCO's. HQMC will compile that data to determine wether or not they wish to continue instructing recruits marksmanship using irons or optics.
I got instructed on the use of optics very breifly, but my basic training company only had a handful of A4s. It was good as sort of a "hey, you may get one of these someday" sort of class, but I don't think for a second that is how they should train anyone to shoot or that they should qaul like that.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.”

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 05-19-2011, 5:42 PM

FN A2 for me back in Nov. '07. Now i'm lugging around an FN A4 around Leatherneck lol
Old 05-19-2011, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post

I really hope they stick with teaching with iron sights. I know they say you should train how you fight, and we are currently fighting with ACOG/Aimpoint and some with eotech. But start with the basics and build from there. So if/when the optics fail, moving to their BUIS wont be an issue.
Old 05-19-2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate87 View Post
I really hope they stick with teaching with iron sights. I know they say you should train how you fight, and we are currently fighting with ACOG/Aimpoint and some with eotech. But start with the basics and build from there. So if/when the optics fail, moving to their BUIS wont be an issue.
I was wondering how that switch to the ACOG was going to effect training in boot camp. Im guessing they wouldnt want to deal with it and risk them getting broken with rifles getting abused as much as they do.
Old 05-19-2011, 9:22 PM

Youngsters in here.
I went through the Depot in '94 and I this recruit had a beat to hell and back M16A2 also. It was nowhere near as beat as the one in MCT. Then I hit the fleet and at my first duty station it was a brand new M16A2.
At my Second duty station it was back to a beater A2 with an equally bashed M203. But they were all straight shooting. None of the receivers fit like some here think they should (receiver fit isn't as crucial as some think)
Old 05-20-2011, 9:47 AM

H&K 416 w/ Eotech HWS
Old 05-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

M16a2 for me back in 2000. I didn't get a fancy a4 until my last year. And than in the last 6 months they issued me an aimpoint. I preferred iron sights. I'm sure the Corps will keep iron sights in boot and than switch to optic training in soi

BNIB M40 Gas Mask (medium)
Old 05-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
In boot camp, you get all the crappy stuff, no M4, just plain old beat up M16A2 with iron sight. However, after graduating from boot camp, you start seeing high speed, low drag stuff in fleet.
I dont consider the A2 crappy. I was issued a new one in boot back in 85.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:24 PM

I had a M16A2 in Bott Camp. That thing was a piece. I had to use my lock to knock the front pivot pin out. I think it shot like 15R or something. Then the one I got when I went to Iraq was like 2 clicks left one turn up on the front sight.

I hate my life.
Old 05-24-2011, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Loco View Post
I got instructed on the use of optics very breifly, but my basic training company only had a handful of A4s. It was good as sort of a "hey, you may get one of these someday" sort of class, but I don't think for a second that is how they should train anyone to shoot or that they should qaul like that.
Quote:
I agree 100%. They should qual in boot camp with irons & learn optics in the fleet or MCT/ITB. Most of the FMF feels that way but HQMC is still doing their experiment.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM

I went in 08. Had an extremely crappy Colt A2 that had to of been from the 80's. It still shot well and I scored expert.

I agree, Irons should be taught at Boot, that way you have at least an understanding if SHTF. From SOI and on, RCO marksmanship should be taught with Iron refreshers through Power Point.
Old 05-24-2011, 9:40 PM

my buddies bro just graduated from bootcamp and he said they are stilll using the A2 but they said they are goign to start implementing the ACOG into the training because we primarily use the ACOG now.

PRAY FOR PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR
Old 05-25-2011, 5:30 AM

I know for a fact that in MCRD they are using A4's. I'll get a pic next time.
Old 05-25-2011, 1:38 PM

Not related to the Marine Corps, but when I was going through Army BCT in 2008 there were recruits who had Colt M16A1 receivers that were literally lined out and restamped "A2" and "Semi" paired with an A2 upper.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNCRZYDM View Post
my buddies bro just graduated from bootcamp and he said they are stilll using the A2 but they said they are goign to start implementing the ACOG into the training because we primarily use the ACOG now.
I have mixed feelings about that. The RCO rocks, of course, but marksmanship should still taught and regularly qualified on iron's IMO. One of the few areas where I think the Army does do it right is have combat training/qualification as well (though they screw up by a weaker marksmanship). But I think marksmanship qualification and combat training should be complimentary and overlap, but one shouldn't replace the other.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 05-26-2011, 6:08 PM

Boot Camp: M16A2 Service Rifle
School of Infantry: M16A4 Service Rifle
Fleet Marine Force: M16A4/M4 Carbine/Mk12 SPR (Designated Marksman)
Old 06-03-2011, 9:34 PM

I agree with the others here saying irons should still be hit hard in boot camp. I loved the ACOG but I had my rear sights in a pouch on my chest when in Iraq just in case SHTF.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:36 PM

I was the 2nd cycle to use A4s when I went through MCRD in July, 2010. Brand spanking new rifles and they were beautiful! Still qualified with iron sights.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 AM

Yep. I graduated MCRD San Diego March 4th 2011 and we were issued FN Herstal M16 A4s with the irons on them in Boot. Mine was 10502182. We were told we were the second Delta company to use them. They shot well and didnt look too worn out. They were good enough for me to shoot a 241 at Edson. At MCT/SOI we used A4s with beat to hell RCOs. Id have rather stuck with the irons. I have a deep dislike for the RCO.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenRoss View Post
At MCT/SOI we used A4s with beat to hell RCOs. Id have rather stuck with the irons. I have a deep dislike for the RCO.
If you are ever on a 2 way range, you'll learn to like it
Old 06-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you are ever on a 2 way range, you'll learn to like it
mwahahaha. Yeah, RCO is good gear, but irons are needed to learn fundamentals. MCT kinda sucked, though. Bunch of grunts lording it over the POGs, though they couldn't think of any smack to talk when I said tanks. Weapons familiarity was cool, though, especially for the POGs who aren't going to see those sorts of weapons in their units.

Training in the unit with the RCO will be so much better once you hit the Fleet.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 06-18-2011, 3:30 PM

Location: Seal Beach (90740) Just south of Long Beach, in Orange County.

My son went thru Parris Island in winter (only smart thing he did) of '08 and had an FN A1 that he called "Sandy" because she would FTF if you even thought about sand.

In the night of the Crucible, he was on a live-fire exercise and had cleaned her intensely just before. First round was a "click"....ended up stripping and re-assembling in the dark. He says "click" is the worst sound a Marine can hear.

Carried an M4 in Crapghanistan and is going back in fall. This time he gets an M9. Hope to hell he never has to use it....
Old 06-18-2011, 3:47 PM

Its changed alot in recent years, Quals have went from the good old fashioned iorn sight setup and paying your dues in the the Pits to computerized plotters and allowing optics and bipod usage on the line. I can't for the life of me figure out how people "Unk"
off the range they all but spoon feed you a expert qual now.
Old 06-18-2011, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenRoss View Post
Yep. I graduated MCRD San Diego March 4th 2011 and we were issued FN Herstal M16 A4s with the irons on them in Boot. Mine was 10502182. We were told we were the second Delta company to use them. They shot well and didnt look too worn out. They were good enough for me to shoot a 241 at Edson. At MCT/SOI we used A4s with beat to hell RCOs. Id have rather stuck with the irons. I have a deep dislike for the RCO.
Wow, straight outta the gate huh! Learn to like that RCO, or get 300 PFT's to even it out.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post
Youngsters in here.
I went through the Depot in '94 and I this recruit had a beat to hell and back M16A2 also. It was nowhere near as beat as the one in MCT. Then I hit the fleet and at my first duty station it was a brand new M16A2.
At my Second duty station it was back to a beater A2 with an equally bashed M203. But they were all straight shooting. None of the receivers fit like some here think they should (receiver fit isn't as crucial as some think)
Youngsters in here is correct. When I qualed back in August of 93 we had A2's. Checked into 1/11 and had an A2 issued but carried our sections M-60E3 until they phased em out for the M-240, then I got a M-249 SAW. Left the fleet in August of 02 to be an instructor at Ft Sill, everyone still was rocking A2's unless you were a high speed unit then you got optics. LOL went over 18 a week ago, some times it still seems like yesterday

Mag Limiters for Glock 17, Sig 2022 9mm
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1232751
Old 07-23-2011, 8:59 PM

The Marine Corps recently announced that all recruits going through bootcamp would use the M-16A4, but they will not be using the RCO/ACOG. They want to teach the basic marksmanship skills in boot. Once in MCT and SOI, they use A-4's with the RCO/ACOG, uless they were a Grenadier, they were using M-16A2 (as of last year when I went to AT at Pendleton).
Old 07-25-2011, 3:31 PM

At OCS we got A4's with carry handles on top.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Rat View Post
Youngsters in here.
Ya boot. . . damn yellow footprints. . .

Went thru in 86, had m16a2's back then as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 07-29-2011, 12:55 AM

I love hearing Marines who shipped to boot camp after I ECS'd calling others "youngsters"! I am a firm believer that if you never floated on an LST, you just ain't got enough salt yet!

Semper Fi!

PS..
I was on Active Duty from 1986 to 1992. A4's weren't even thought of yet, nuch less ACOGs.
FQ