Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-18-2011, 3:36 PM

Default Another bad experience at Targetmasters West

I stopped by TM today to check out some pistols. I had trouble seeing into one display case because of two guys filling out paperwork for their purchases. They reeked of marijuana. Well, at least they wouldn't be leaving armed today while high. A couple of minutes later I walked by the rental counter where three young guys with their pants below their assess were filling out paperwork to rent guns to shoot. They also reeked of marijuana. This was just too much. I sure wouldn't want to be anywhere near a bunch of stoned rookie shooters. I can't believe that TM would rent to them. How could they NOT smell the marijuana stench rolling off these guys.
Old 05-18-2011, 3:45 PM

Some people just don't care and just want the revenue that they would bring in.

If I'm ever up in that area I'll make sure not to go there.
Old 05-18-2011, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

I'll admit they have some of the best prices in the bay area, but I'll never shoot there again. I don't remember how many times a loaded gun was pointed at me by careless shooters.

New shooters routinely sweep the room while posing for pictures.
Old 05-18-2011, 3:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Targetmasters is a great place to shoot if you want a much higher risk of catching a bullet, just my opinion. It had lots of unsafe shooters the last time I was there several years ago, seems it hasn't gotten any better.

Plus their staff are poor on service, kind of... I don't know... snobby or something?

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 05-18-2011, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

You can't control the type of people wanting to shoot, or buy guns.

Your second amendment rights make sure that regardless of who you are, besides being insane or a criminal; Any american, even if they are smoking pot, has the right to bear arms.

Alls im saying is the store has no way to screen people before they come into the store to GIVE THE STORE MONEY. and stores like money.
Old 05-18-2011, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.1904 View Post

Your second amendment rights make sure that regardless of who you are, besides being insane or a criminal; Any american, even if they are smoking pot, has the right to bear arms.

Alls im saying is the store has no way to screen people before they come into the store to GIVE THE STORE MONEY. and stores like money.
That being said, I would certainly hope that if employees suspected anyone of being under the influence they would not let them rent firearms. Should I be allowed to operate a loaded handgun at busy range with other people after slamming 14 tequilla shots? The answer is no....
Old 05-18-2011, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I guess you've never seen this sign before?

Old 05-18-2011, 4:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I go in the off hours and shoot with a wall on my right side so I can monitor the other side.

I'm a retired range master and not above telling someone "point that me again and I'll take it away from you". It would't be the first time I"ve taken a gun away.

If the place is crowded I just go over and check out Reeds if it's messed up I go home.

I'd shoot at Livermore but I'm too old and lazy to walk out and change my target.
Old 05-18-2011, 4:37 PM

So this thread was made because 4 dudes smelled like weed. How do you know they weren't with someone else that smoked weed. I smell like weed sometimes but don't get high nor smoke it. Seems like you just want to ***** about something.
Old 05-18-2011, 4:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I thought it was about safety, maybe he meant it to be about weed.
Old 05-18-2011, 4:51 PM

Only in California
Old 05-18-2011, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
So this thread was made because 4 dudes smelled like weed. How do you know they weren't with someone else that smoked weed. I smell like weed sometimes but don't get high nor smoke it. Seems like you just want to ***** about something.

I posted this because it is not safe to shoot when you are under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. I am responsible for my own safety and I don't take kindly to places that allow and enable stoned people to handle and fire loaded firearms. If you consider it okay to shoot in that condition then you have chosen an appropriate screen name.
Old 05-18-2011, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgs00 View Post
I posted this because it is not safe to shoot when you are under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. I am responsible for my own safety and I don't take kindly to places that allow and enable stoned people to handle and fire loaded firearms. If you consider it okay to shoot in that condition then you have chosen an appropriate screen name.

*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***

***Mature Up***
Old 05-18-2011, 5:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

lol.. WRONG..

They can deny service to anyone.. especially if they smell pot on them and thier business is handing over loaded firearms..
Old 05-18-2011, 5:19 PM

Maybe it was a new cologne.

I think Knucklehead's point was even if someone may smell like weed it doesn't mean they were smoking it.

Some people smell like s***, doesn't mean they were smoking it.

I don't think anyone on this forum thinks it is ok for people to shoot when under the influence or intoxicated.
Old 05-18-2011, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
I guess you've never seen this sign before?

I am very much so familiar with the refusal of service. Being a manager of a retail store i do hold the right to refuse service to anyone. But this isn't about me, it's about the above said gun store.

But they didn't refuse service to them did they? Not my bad nor the original posters'. I also believe that it is by far an unsafe circumstance for anyone to operate ANYTHING that can harm another person under the influence, especially firearms.

In my opinion the original poster was not happy with the gun store because people were in a firearms store smelling like weed. Not the guns stores' fault, right?

If the management or associates thought these individuals were not in the correct mindstate to operate a firearm safely they could have refused service to them. But they didn't. As for a person smelling like weed filling out his DRO's; So what? Now for someone actually operating a firearm under the influence is a complete different story.

If you have something against people who smoke weed that's your personal opinion. Don't knock the establishment because of the individuals that give their money to them

I work in a paintball and airsoft store. Would i refuse selling someone paintballs or airsoft BB's because they smell like weed? No.

Remember, economies tough. Money is money and it's better in my register than in the customers pocket. High or not. Do i want to be in the same room with someone who's high, strung out, or drunk and shooting something that could kill me in the blink of an eye? Hell no.
Old 05-18-2011, 5:36 PM

I'd call the police and report drug users with guns then sit back and watch the show.
Old 05-18-2011, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreZ91 View Post
Some people just don't care and just want the revenue that they would bring in.
My worst experience like that was at the old Traders in San Leandro. I was at the counter buying a firearm, when a young woman came in with a small group of teenagers that looked like gangsters or gangster wannabe's. Though she looked young, she must have been 21-yrs old, because she used her ID to purchase three or four handguns.

Each handgun was selected by a teenager, and she paid cash from a huge wad was she was carrying. It was pretty clear that she was purchasing pistols for these other guys, who were either too young, or perhaps otherwise unable to legally purchase.

I asked the salesman helping me if they had a problem with what I was witnessing. He said something vague, implying that they didn't turn away cash customers.

I wasn't too upset when Traders lost their FFL.

Last edited by Retired Dave; 05-18-2011 at 6:14 PM..
Old 05-18-2011, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
I'd call the police and report drug users with guns then sit back and watch the show.
You wouldn't even have to sit. Targetmasters is like 50 yards away from the Milpitas Police station!
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.” - Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle
Old 05-18-2011, 6:25 PM

Ok , money is money and all that but what is the store's liability if something goes wrong and it turns out that they guys were high? I'd think that any ambulance chasing lawyer can make the case that the employees should have used descretion.

If it were my store I'd ask them to leave.
Old 05-18-2011, 6:51 PM

Wow, I woulda just left

I only go during happy hour or on a thurs night, if there is someone sketchy there, Ill just check out the cases and keep it movin
Old 05-18-2011, 6:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
If I were running a gun shop and you smelled like grass or booze, you wouldn't make it thru the front door.

In fact many gunshops have a "If you look intoxicated or smell of drugs/alcohol, please leave."

You need to pick better friends.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-18-2011, 7:00 PM

i was just there today around 2 or 3 and it was relatively slow so it was just me and my friend in the long bay. Other than when its slow i wouldnt visit that place
Old 05-18-2011, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Dave View Post
My worst experience like that was at the old Traders in San Leandro. I was at the counter buying a firearm, when a young woman came in with a small group of teenagers that looked like gangsters or gangster wannabe's. Though she looked young, she must have been 21-yrs old, because she used her ID to purchase three or four handguns.

Each handgun was selected by a teenager, and she paid cash from a huge wad was she was carrying. It was pretty clear that she was purchasing pistols for these other guys, who were either too young, or perhaps otherwise unable to legally purchase.

I asked the salesman helping me if they had a problem with what I was witnessing. He said something vague, implying that they didn't turn away cash customers.

I wasn't too upset when Traders lost their FFL.
Unless the kids involved were her children, and these were birthday/christmas/whatever gifts... I would be very wary of this store from then on... dunno if i'd call the DOJ right away though.
Old 05-18-2011, 7:08 PM

My buddy got turned away from there for smelling like bud. Some of their employees are snobby and think they know everything about guns. I like shooting there because they're open late. I wonder if we can get a calguns shoot there? Maybe a time where only we can shoot?
Old 05-18-2011, 7:08 PM

Quote:
I like that idea!!! LOL
Old 05-18-2011, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

Another negative for these guys is the facts that they still refuse to PPT anything off list related. They kept trying to tell me that off list AR15's were a big grey area and they didn't want to hear any of the facts about how black and white they have become in the last few years.

Any gun store that can't keep up on gun laws doesn't instill confidence in me. They won't be getting any of my business any time soon.
Old 05-18-2011, 7:39 PM

Quote:
I doubt it. Either you've never tried reporting your neighbors growing/smoking/selling pot, or you simply have waaay too much faith in the California judicial system.
Old 05-18-2011, 7:41 PM

Customer service needs improvement but I think they have a nice selection of handguns. They have a brand new Browning High Power(classic style) for around $9xx for those interested.
Old 05-18-2011, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhawk66 View Post
Another negative for these guys is the facts that they still refuse to PPT anything off list related. They kept trying to tell me that off list AR15's were a big grey area and they didn't want to hear any of the facts about how black and white they have become in the last few years.

Any gun store that can't keep up on gun laws doesn't instill confidence in me. They won't be getting any of my business any time soon.
I did a PPT for my XDm there less than a year ago....
Old 05-18-2011, 9:26 PM

It's always money.
Old 05-18-2011, 9:40 PM

It's been a while since I did a DROS, isn't there a question that asks do you use a controlled substance? just asking
Old 05-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Yes, you can control who shoots in your store. And of course the store can screen who shoots, they don't let people come in alone and rent a gun they can certainly decide that if someone smells like MJ they're not going to use their facility.

So they may have the right to shoot, but they don't have the right to shoot in anyone's store - if they want to shoot they can go off by themselves, get lost in the woods and shoot each other in the fanny.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Calguns Addict

When I lived in TX I used to go to a shop called Military Gun Supply in Fort Worth. On their door they had a sign that said something like this:

If you look like a hippie,
Sound like a hippie,
Smell like a hippie,
Don't even bother coming in
Old 05-19-2011, 12:54 AM

I'm not doubting the OPs story, but I shoot there all the time and haven't seen/smelled anything like this going on. Honestly haven't seen anything unsafe yet either. Guess I've been lucky all these years.
IMO, TM is a decent range that you can shoot at for cheep ($6/hr weekdays till 4) that has a pretty big handgun showroom and a good supply of rental guns. Prices are generaly good (I've bought two guns there over the years). Staff is generaly friendly and helpful. They are very careful about the DROS paperwork. Maybe thats why they are one of the biggest gun sales FFL's in NorCal (or so I've been told).
No doubt Reeds in Santa Clara is a much nicer range but its a lot more expensive to shoot there. I'll stick with TM untill I see some of that spooky behavior going on or the almost non-existing air filtration system in their range kills me.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 05-19-2011, 1:55 AM

Just today at Bullseye in San Rafael a pair of would-be pistol renters was turned away because they smelled of weed.
Old 05-19-2011, 3:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Why does anyone still go their. It is a close tie with Dublin knives and gun's for the worst gun shop I have ever been too. I will NEVER again step foot in TM.
Old 05-19-2011, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaShooter View Post
Why does anyone still go their. It is a close tie with Dublin knives and gun's for the worst gun shop I have ever been too. I will NEVER again step foot in TM.
Their price on the brand new Sig P229R($786) was the lowest price between different stores I called. But then I don't have a loyalty for gun stores. I go to whichever sells a particular gun at the lowest price.
Old 05-19-2011, 4:28 AM
Veteran Member

TM is a convenient indoor range (gas is pricey) with really cheap daytime rates if you can sneak away from work or get off early (and they're open late). Also, I don't immediately freak out at the sight of people not dressed like a Ralph Lauren catalog. I'd never buy anything there though...
Old 05-19-2011, 4:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgs00 View Post
I stopped by TM today to check out some pistols. I had trouble seeing into one display case because of two guys filling out paperwork for their purchases. They reeked of marijuana. Well, at least they wouldn't be leaving armed today while high. A couple of minutes later I walked by the rental counter where three young guys with their pants below their assess were filling out paperwork to rent guns to shoot. They also reeked of marijuana. This was just too much. I sure wouldn't want to be anywhere near a bunch of stoned rookie shooters. I can't believe that TM would rent to them. How could they NOT smell the marijuana stench rolling off these guys.
hmmm are you sure the guys behind the counter are not the ones which reek of MJ?

P.S. It's cali, who cares?