Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 03-20-2015, 7:44 PM

Default AQT Fair and Square?

I had the pleasure of attending a Nov2014 Appleseed training event and we must have had 4 or 5-AQT sessions on that Sunday. I incrementally worked myself up to a personal best of 194. I am also scheduled to attend again Apr2015.

I used an iron-sighted, 10/22 on Saturday and an M4 with 3X-scope on Sunday. The 10/22 was borrowed. I also took the M4 to the desert with several, authentic/appleseed, AQT target sheets to refresh and practice what I could remember, not expecting to better my 194, but repeatedly I did produce scores that were over the mark: 213, 219 & 226.

My question is how could I have inadvertently cheated the test?
I had a friend time each stage, 2min, 55sec, 65sec & 5min.
The distance was paced off at 26yds twice.
I used the scope @3x [not the best eyeballs in your crowd]

Something tells me that I was not properly tested. Are there common mistakes that people make when no instructor - testing mistakes that could boost a score or make the test easier? I don't want to take my March refresh/training& test too lightly, and feel like I cheated the system.
;-)
Maybe desert solitude and a much less nearby/friendly fire is an unfair cheat.
Old 03-20-2015, 8:48 PM
Veteran Member

Your last line is relevant. All that gunfire and making the time "official" adds adrenalin. Also as the day wears on you get tired, there are never enough rest breaks, you don't get to pick when each string starts, etc.

If you go to an Appleseed with 4 people or 40 people you'll get different amounts of noise, dust flying around, etc. There might be good weather, bad weather. Conditions might not be equal but such is life.

Bottom line is that if you do some dry fire, practice getting into position smoothly, and don't let the real deal stress you out, you should pretty much be able to kick the AQT's butt.

Be sure to post your score in April!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:15 PM

I suspect your scores are valid and just reflect that the lessons have sunk in plus what Eljay said.

The only common source of overscoring I regularly see is when people do the "counting points dropped" approach used by a lot of competitors when most shots are full scoring. The mistake made is not to notice that there may be some shots completely missing. So there are only 8 rounds on targets most 5's and a couple of 4's so you say "two off of the 50 possible max is 48". when really there are two rounds missing for a drop of 10 plus the drop of 2 on the couple of 4's for a drop of 12 ie 38.

Cheers
V
Old 03-21-2015, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Makes sense. To tell you the truth I actually usually do some variation on "hits count" scoring where it's in the black or it's not and I don't sweat the details.
Old 03-25-2015, 5:26 PM

Default More about Equipment then . . .

I hear you both about less distraction/noise and fair/accurate math to get a true score. Thanks!
--------------
I have a 99% ready 795-LTR.
It is as good or better than expected with the results, but I have not tested it beyond 50-yds. But nothing that I have seen with *performance* makes me want for a different rifle.
My concern is about the action of this rifle and specifically how much movement is allowed when the magazine is fully inserted. There is significant play allowed - - which may be irrelevant, but I am comparing this rifle with my other two center-fire, rifle actions. And this one has significantly more movement allowed.
Have people noticed how much you can wiggle [laterally] the magazine while it is installed? I borrowed a Ruger 5-months ago for A.S.Training and it seemed not to have near the sloppiness in this area. Maybe I am a little paranoid with this 2014-assembled rifle, but I am surprised that what seems [and is reported to be so accurate] would seem to my untrained eyes, so mechanically sloppy.
Does the action transmit this magazine's slop to any negative performance?
Of course moving parts [a rifle action] needs some clearance to work, and a magazine needs to drop out as easy as possible, so I am not expecting zero clearance/ $3000 rifle design/actions.
I also realize and I do not intend to be touching my magazine while the rifle is performing its duty [not in any hold-position, will I likely touch the magazine] but I still think this is a fair question.
I could conceivably shim the action so as to eliminate some of this slop. Maybe this extra movement in the 795's action has grown in recent years?
I am attaching a diagram if you have questions about my measured observations.
It would be nice to know and to remedy [if realistic, if needed] in before my 18-19th of April A.S.Training.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magazine-action-movement-Marlin.jpg (66.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-26-2015, 12:42 AM
CGSSA Leader

Wiggling magazines are good things. Those are mags that drop free without assistance.

So long as you get reliable feeding, don't even worry about it. Precision shooters chasing hundreths of MOA don't use magazines, and for the rest of us, it's negligible.

Don't sweat the small stuff. In fact, it's worth taking the time to retire all those doubts now, so they won't intrude on your Rifleman's Bubble when the time comes. The high score on the AQT always goes to the shooter with the sharpest mental focus. Seriously.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 03-26-2015, 5:46 PM

Eljay, V & Rocketman,
I appreciate answering my Questions, as always.
I have convinced my brother to go with me to the April, A.S.Training.
About as much as I can do to spread or germinate seeds this month.
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2015, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

Best of luck to you and your brother!

PS I agree that the magazine wiggling shouldn't be an issue, and definitely in terms of where you're spending your mental energy and your time you shouldn't be fussing about the rifle too much. If it's running well and you can get the mags changed out reasonably efficiently it's going to be the least of your worries.

With my 10/22 I actually went through my mags and checked which ones dropped free the easiest and marked them and used those for Appleseed. I also sanded inside the wood stock a bit so they wouldn't rub. So yeah, super tight isn't exactly appealing.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Default magazine swaps

Yes Eljay,
I don't have many rounds through this 795-Marlin.
But the original magazine that came with it releases about as easy as you'd expect.
The two [Marlin made] newer magazines that I bought look very new and undamaged; but one of these two, new magazines really does not remove easily, and the last one practically pops itself out when I press the release tab.
So all three are different, in the rifle's same action. The most tight fitting magazine will only be used if the other couple of magazines are lost or damaged at Appleseed.
Ironic how 5.56-Pmags are so consistent [inserting/dropping out] when they are $12.50 items. Lately, spare magazines for the 795 cost $6 or $7 more and eject so differently.

Last edited by flynPb; 03-28-2015 at 6:07 PM..
Old 04-21-2015, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

So how'd it go?
Old 04-26-2015, 9:32 AM

Sorry, only 192.
At least transitions easier for me.
Hopefully my 3rd weekend will be the charm.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit - - 60 days later, I attained a best of 209.

Last edited by flynPb; 07-14-2015 at 10:00 PM..
Old 08-06-2015, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynPb View Post
Sorry, only 192.
At least transitions easier for me.
Hopefully my 3rd weekend will be the charm.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit - - 60 days later, I attained a best of 209.
Congratulations! - you're almost there

Last edited by Dr. Jones; 08-06-2015 at 6:14 PM..
Old 08-06-2015, 6:03 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, so close! One more time and you'll nail it.