Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 AM

Default Mako GL-Shock Recoil Reducing Stock - Thoughts?

I've got an FN TPS that came with the fixed A2 stock and have been looking to switch to a collapsible stock. The FN TPS Shotgun will accept any standard AR-15 buttstock. While searching, I came across this Mako GL-Shock Recoil Reducing Stock

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this stock?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

interesting concept. I wonder about weight on these? I own a few FAB Defense items and all in all, like their products. For me, my ARs - and normal loads - don't have a type of kick I would likely by this, but I like the concept. Maybe more for my shotgun.

I think there are some YouTube vids on it

WTS: Gun stuff & things

Last edited by glock_this; 05-17-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
interesting concept. I wonder about weight on these? I own a few FAB Defense items and all in all, like their products. For me, my ARs - and normal loads - don't have a type of kick I would likely by this, but I like the concept. Maybe more for my shotgun.

I think there are some YouTube vids on it
Exactly my thoughts - I probably wouldn't consider this for my AR, but knowing the TPS takes AR stocks, I found the concept intriguing.

Here is vid of the stock by the manufacturer
http://youtu.be/v32LIWNdgTQ

Last edited by SoCal Gunner; 05-19-2011 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Vid Link
Old 05-19-2011, 10:54 AM

Arrow

I found another thread in the Rifle section about Mako products that was a good read: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...highlight=mako

I'm going to PM MakoDefense and point to this thread for shotgun application of the stock.

One question I'll put out there for discussion is the use of this stock WITH an enidine hydraulic shock reducing buffer. Would this be recommended or would having the two systems be a waste or conflict?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with that stock, but most of the recoil absorbing stocks have a lot of travel in them. The travel slaps you in the cheek if you have a proper cheek weld. My experience is that proper shooting platform is a lot more comfortable than spring loaded stocks.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 PM

I too was wondering about a Recoil Reducing Stock, and came across the Enidine:

http://www.tacticalshotgunner.com/en...ucer-p-92.html

The Mako looks good too, I wonder if any of the calguners run any of these applications on their SG.
Old 05-19-2011, 4:14 PM

You would think they could have found a better looking shotgun to put in their video. I see the concept and find it interesting also. However, do not confuse something like this with the Endine Buffer which is a sealed unit and warrantied for 20 million cycles. For a little more you can get an Endine and a rear stock since you need the adapter no which you decide to go with. And as they stated, it would work in conjunction with the Edine but there would be no need as the Edine is enough. Understanding the function of the two springs in the SpecOps stock and how the Edine works in an M-4 type stock I can assure you this small spring and how it is designed to work is not going to give the reduction in felt recoil that the other two give you.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

Last edited by aippi; 06-08-2011 at 8:00 AM..
Old 05-20-2011, 3:03 AM
Banned

ar-15's have hardly any recoil as is so I doubt id ever buy one for mines. go with a knoxx spec ops stock, works much better (more springs, bigger springs!)
Old 06-08-2011, 12:10 AM

Thanks for asking me to post, SoCal, sorry for the late reply - I was at a machine gun shoot and have been catching up.

The GL-SHOCK is an excellent stock, and works very well. As far as recoil reduction goes, I don't really notice it with 5.56, since I don't really think about the recoil. I don't know how much it actually reduces felt recoil. It noticeably reduces muzzle movement, though.

Once you go to larger calibers, the felt recoil reduction and reduction in muzzle rise are more noticeable. The higher the level of recoil, the more the recoil reduction is noticeable.

It is easy for people to say things like, "The cheekpiece will slap your cheek," or, "That small spring won't do much to reduce recoil," when they have not used the stock, but we would much rather people actually try the stock before making these kind of statements. I can often tell immediately whether or not someone has tried one of our products by the claims they make about it.

The spring is actually quite stout, and the cheekpiece actually moves slower and less than it would if it was not a recoil-reducing stock.

Shooters who have used our shotgun recoil reduction stocks alongside the Knoxx stock find that reduction in felt recoil is very comparable between the two systems. I do not know of anyone who has compared the GL-Shock itself to the Knoxx, but I think it also would be close. All who who have used the GL-SHOCK on shotguns, .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowulf rifles, and similar weapons are very impressed with the felt recoil reduction.

There is a big difference between our systems and the Knoxx system, however. In our system the recoil compensation takes place between the weapon and the stock behind the pistol grip. The pistol grip moves with the weapon, which has several advantages, including not interfering with safeties, no pinched fingers, and recoil is not as hard on the forward hand.

The GL-SHOCK cheekpiece is handy for taller iron sights of optics on shotguns.

You can combine the GL-SHOCK with our dedicated recoil reducing stocks as well, doubling the recoil-reduction systems:

Recoil-reducing stock system for shotguns

Folding Recoil-reducing stock system for shotguns

Also, the GL-SHOCK is a very good choice even for 5.56 weapons, since it noticeably reduces muzzle movement allowing faster accurate fire.
Old 06-08-2011, 8:04 AM

Very good response from the Mako guy, no putting down of the other products, very professional and honest. Anyone out there that tries this system keep us posted. I have no research department and depend on shooters for this so please share your thoughts and a good range report.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Thanks, We try to avoid attacking other companies, even if their products or business practices are not so great. In this thread, of course, the other products mentioned are great products.

I have sent a couple several of these stocks out to some of the better-known gunwriters for review, so I should soon have some third-party feedback that I can post. I think David Fortier is planning to put one on a shotgun and possibly a 6.5 Grendel.