Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-04-2013, 8:34 AM

Default Just got CCW - Fresno PD

I just received my license, and I've been pretty happy about the process of applying through the Frenso PD. Back in July I called the sheriff's office for an appointment, and was given late Feb. 2014. They suggested I go through the PD. So I called the PD on July 15 and got an appointment for the next day to submit my application. Ray and Ed are great guys, very helpful through the whole process. They are also very encouraging of people getting their CCW - they even encouraged one of my references to submit an application. My impression was they have the point of view that good guys with guns is a good thing - something I'm sure most of us would agree with.

I took my class at The Range, which I wouldn't recommend - lot of FUD and very little useful information imparted for the time spent (1/3 of which was just sitting around doing nothing). If I'm going to spend 8 hours in training, I might as well get something useful out of it. Really the only useful portion of the course was the hour with the lawyer who went over the law relating to self defense and use of force. She was great. The rest was very disappointing. Though I like their gun shop and range, I won't be going back there for the renewal training.

Anyways, I finally picked up my license on 10/3 - just about 10 weeks from submission of the application. Not too bad given the increase in applications they've experienced this year. I highly recommend going through the PD if you live in city limits and don't want to wait 6-8 months to get an appointment with the sheriff's office.
Old 10-04-2013, 8:54 AM
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the note on The Range. I just did my live scan yesterday and still looking for a good place take the class. I might try The Firing Line now
Old 10-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickterscale View Post
I took my class at The Range, which I wouldn't recommend - lot of FUD and very little useful information imparted for the time spent (1/3 of which was just sitting around doing nothing). If I'm going to spend 8 hours in training, I might as well get something useful out of it. Really the only useful portion of the course was the hour with the lawyer who went over the law relating to self defense and use of force. She was great. The rest was very disappointing.
Agreed.

NRA - Life Member | NRA Certified Instructor
SAF - Life Member | CRPA - Member
GOA - Life Member
Old 10-04-2013, 11:01 AM

Yep ^^^^^^^
Lawyer chick is hot though
Old 10-04-2013, 1:48 PM

I agree going thru the city is a better way if you live within the city limits. I've had my permit almost two years, I have to renew after the first of the year. Has anyone gone thru the renewal process what is involved in this ??

Thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 2:13 PM

Funny, here in Bakersfield I understand city issued permits are pretty rare.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-04-2013, 5:51 PM

I second dealing with Ed, great guy
Old 10-04-2013, 6:18 PM

What was your guys good cause? I have my first appointment in december.
Old 10-04-2013, 6:44 PM

Ed + Ray = Hawaiian shirt showdown... Good dudes
Old 10-04-2013, 7:29 PM

Haha ^ this
Old 10-04-2013, 7:41 PM

Congratulations.
I’ve always felt a bit conflicted over the whole ordeal. Good that I got the permit but a bit dirty that I have to ask for permission from da man.

I took my class at The Range also years ago when it was much better quality.
I've taken a few renewals there and have seen the quality decline to a point that I will not go back. It was very convenient since you can take the class & shoot in the same session but this last time (about four months ago) I got into a heated confrontation with the douchbag reserve sheriff deputy over the heaps of FUD he was spreading around.

Anywho, I will be looking elsewhere in about a year & a half.
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."
--- Jeff Cooper, June 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.
Old 10-05-2013, 9:33 AM

Congrats!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Comments on The Range

Absolutely disagree with the negative comments on The Range. I did my CCW training there in May and thought both instructors (legal and tactical) excellent. Solid agenda and full lecture until lunch, then 1/2 hour off and right back to it. Range qualifying in the afternoon was very professional and well done. I've done handgun training elsewhere and I thought the guys in Fresno were top notch. Very professional, plus they have the 5.11 store attached. Great place all around.
Old 10-06-2013, 1:05 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derailment View Post
Absolutely disagree with the negative comments on The Range. I did my CCW training there in May and thought both instructors (legal and tactical) excellent. Solid agenda and full lecture until lunch, then 1/2 hour off and right back to it. Range qualifying in the afternoon was very professional and well done. I've done handgun training elsewhere and I thought the guys in Fresno were top notch. Very professional, plus they have the 5.11 store attached. Great place all around.
I think they rotate instructors. I've taken classes with Steve both before he was at the range and after, and i highly recommend him. I can't speak for any of the other instructors there as I've specifically contacted him about his classes.
Old 10-06-2013, 6:16 PM

The instructor spewing the FUD in my class was John Mikkelson.
It seemed to me (just a feeling based on his demeaner) that he was trying to make himself out to be someone of importance. He said he is a reserve sheriff deputy so of course he came to class dressed out in his vest, duty belt and badge. He came across rather aggresive but seemed to handle push back from myself and a couple others fairly well.
He made a point to remind everyone to keep concealed at all times because to do otherwise would expose us to a brandishing charge. This is of course NOT TRUE and in direct contradiction to what Kendra, (the lawyer lady) had told us just a half hour earlier.
This is but one of a handful of instances of FUD he laid out before us.

I stand by my assessment and will not return for my next renewal.

I am taking recommendations for other instructors in the Fresno area.
"The 'Spray and Pray' system advances triumphantly in law enforcement. In a recent case in a southwestern city...a police officer, when threatened with a handgun, emptied his 15 shot pistol at his would-be assailant, achieving two peripheral hits. The citizen was charged with brandishing a firearm, but the cop was not charged with anything, lousy shooting not being a diciplinary offense."
--- Jeff Cooper, June 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2
Put you link where your opinion is.
Old 10-06-2013, 6:53 PM

I've heard first hand someone there is saying SSE guns are not legal and it will be used against you if legal trouble occurs...

GOA - Life Member
Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Range is full of FUD. And I say this as a loyal customer. I just don't use them for advice or training. As far as training goes, go local, independent. I used John Linnenbach. Great class. one on one. Very enjoyable. I laugh at the hawaian shirt showdown. Ed wins.
FPD was an awesome experience as far as getting CCW.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES13Raven View Post
I've heard first hand someone there is saying SSE guns are not legal and it will be used against you if legal trouble occurs...
First hand from which person? If a SSE conversion pistol is not legal then what is the point or reason for the part of AB 169 which makes SSE on semi-autos illegal? Why wouldn't the state simply enforce the existing law?

I'm not expressing an opinion on whether it is the best idea to use a SSE gun for CCW, but the "legality" of a SSE under state law is a different matter than the issue of whether your local IA allows it or if it could prove troublesome down the road should you ever use the gun.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:18 PM

I think he was saying that the range is telling people using SSE guns are at risk for getting in trouble, which is not true, therefore reinforcing the fact that they spread FUD.

Which makes sense from a sellers stand point. Tell people that SSE (which they don't provide) is bad, so buy your on roster gun here.

I know for facts SSE is allowed on a CCW (at least in FPD) because I currently have 2 of them on mine right now...and I even asked Ed before adding the first if it would be an issue.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmckingwood View Post
First hand from which person?
My wife, who took the CCW class at the Range a few weeks ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARC_Mike View Post
I think he was saying that the range is telling people using SSE guns are at risk for getting in trouble, which is not true, therefore reinforcing the fact that they spread FUD.

Which makes sense from a sellers stand point. Tell people that SSE (which they don't provide) is bad, so buy your on roster gun here.

I know for facts SSE is allowed on a CCW (at least in FPD) because I currently have 2 of them on mine right now...and I even asked Ed before adding the first if it would be an issue.
Exactly. It seems to me, they are trying to sway people from shops that do SSE.

GOA - Life Member
Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 PM

Hey if I sold fords, I would talk all the crap about chevy I possibly could...I'm not saying its right...but I get it.
Old 10-07-2013, 2:57 PM

Mathew Cocola at Security Solutions in Fresno/Clovis is where I went and was the best experience for me and a few other that I know, I highly recommend.
Old 10-17-2013, 3:56 PM

Hey fresnofox the renewal process for Fresno PD is a piece of cake. Just email/call Ray or Ed and they will give you the details. As I recall it was basically set up appointment with Ed/Ray, get your refresher class (4 hrs), qualify, and meet with Ed/Ray for new ticket. I can't remember the exact cost...it was fairly painless. I have also recently gone through the process of changing weapons on your CCW - also painless. Just qualify and pay for new ticket ($10). They did not give me any hassle for asking for a change. Ray/Ed are just great to work with!

I also have mixed feedback on the Range. Took my initial course with Will (awesome!) but he is long gone. Took my renewal there and it was a joke. Pretty bad when you have to correct the instructor. Facilities are great though and course/qualifying is convenient. Not sure where I will go next time...