Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 05-15-2011, 6:05 PM

Default I give up! .410 Remington Model 11-48

I took this old piece down today. Hadn't been cleaned in something like 30n years. No problem getting it apart.

I CANNOT GET THE DAMN THING BACK TOGETHER!

There is some kindof flat sliding piece about 6 inches in length and 1/2 inch wide that resides in the receiver adjacent to the bolt. It has a small hook-like end that faces the muzzle end of the gun.

This piece dropped out when I was removing the bolt and I didn't see exactly how it fit. Now, for the life of me and 2 hours of trying different combinations of intalling, it just won't go into place (wherever that might be).

I can usually, with patience and diligence figure these things out, but I'm at my wits end.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with this specific gun and this issue?

2. Does anyone know what the best dissassembly/reassembly guide for this piece might be?
Old 05-15-2011, 7:09 PM

Default This might help

Here you go

8-)

Barry
Old 05-15-2011, 9:52 PM

Already went there.

That video does not help. It does not provide the detail I need for my .410. He is working on a 12 ga. and there's a difference in the way that piece goes together.

I'm looking for info that will show the detail of how the one piece goes into place and in what sequence the pieces go together. The part in question will not stay in place when re-inserted into it's slot. So the bolt and trigger group cannot be installed without the part falling out.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:43 PM

Default Carrier Latch?

It appears that the piece in question is the Carrier Latch?
In the manual it claims that the Carrier Latch is pinned into the receiver. Is it possible that yours has simply lost its pin?

All the best

Barry
Old 05-15-2011, 10:55 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Where are you at? I have a 410 11-48 for comparison.
Old 05-16-2011, 6:12 PM

bjl333:

I'm in San Diego. I see you're about an hour and a half or so north of me.

UPDATE: I finally got the damn thing back together. The "carrier latch" is extremely difficult to get into the exactly correct position without it shifting, during replacement of the bolt and trigger group. My fingers are bloody from the repeated attempts.

Unless I get some very specific tricks or methodologies for getting this piece back in place during reassembly, I'll likely not ever tear this thing down again. What should have been an easy task was anything but. I've had numerous other shotguns, rifles, and pistols apart on my work bench, but none have ever come close to the frustration I experienced working with this old shotgun.

Thanks, for your input.

-ppknut

p.s. I wish I still had somewhere to shoot skeet! Now that Miramar is closed, I'd have to drive over an hour to shoot my favorite shotgun sport! I believe that Prado is the closest now.

Last edited by ppknut; 05-16-2011 at 6:17 PM.. Reason: added p.s.
Old 05-16-2011, 7:30 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppknut View Post
bjl333:

I'm in San Diego. I see you're about an hour and a half or so north of me.

UPDATE: I finally got the damn thing back together. The "carrier latch" is extremely difficult to get into the exactly correct position without it shifting, during replacement of the bolt and trigger group. My fingers are bloody from the repeated attempts.

Unless I get some very specific tricks or methodologies for getting this piece back in place during reassembly, I'll likely not ever tear this thing down again. What should have been an easy task was anything but. I've had numerous other shotguns, rifles, and pistols apart on my work bench, but none have ever come close to the frustration I experienced working with this old shotgun.

Thanks, for your input.

-ppknut

p.s. I wish I still had somewhere to shoot skeet! Now that Miramar is closed, I'd have to drive over an hour to shoot my favorite shotgun sport! I believe that Prado is the closest now.
Shoot me a PM if you come out this way!!
Old 05-17-2011, 5:43 PM

PPKNUT,

Tear it down again, while everything is fresh in your mind and then do it again.

Each time, you will pick up little tricks to help you get the job done.

John
Old 05-17-2011, 6:26 PM

I'm considering the soundness of your logic. I would normally do this, but I'm not yet sure how I actually got the damn piece in correctly and in what order I did it. After trying repeatedly for well over two hours, I'm not sure anymore which way I got this done. It's all kind of a blur.

In the meantime, I've purchased a book that may help show/explain this procedure a little better. I will wait until that book arrives.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-ppknut
Old 05-18-2011, 9:07 AM

When all else fails, there is a Gunsmith, willing to help you, for a price!
Old 05-18-2011, 8:50 PM

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...s-manuals.aspx

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=5645

“The most reliable sign, the most universal behavior of unscrupulous people is not directed, as one might imagine, at our fearfulness. It is perversely, an appeal to our sympathy”
Martha Stout – “the sociopath next door”

Last edited by Marlin Hunter; 05-18-2011 at 8:53 PM..
Old 05-19-2011, 7:09 PM

Thanks, but the Remington link does not have the Model 11-48 listed.

And the parts diagram does not provide any info on methods of assembly or disassembly.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 AM

PPKNUT,

Youtube has a 11-87 disassembly Video.

I looked at a few of them and ONE covers the problem, you had.

Watch it a few times and it will all come together, for you.

John
Old 05-20-2011, 11:42 AM

Sorry, I should have looked at your post sooner. I think you are talking about the shell carrier and we use a tool called a Silver Bullet to install it, however, on my web site is a how to video showing how to install the carrier dog follower Spring. You have to remove the carrier to do this and when I show how to install the carrier back in place I do not use the silver bullet, I use a phillips head screw drive the same size as the hole for the barrel pin. I also show a simple fix of pushing down on the carrier to line it up. It take me about 10 seconds to install a carrier this way. Go to www.aiptactical.com and find the how to video and see if that helps you with the issue, and no, you won't have to remove your carrier very often.

As for that video that the link went to. The guy should not be putting these out there as as soon as I saw the pliers on the bench I knew we were in trouble. I then saw him pull the trigger pin out with pliers I turned it off. You push the pins all the way through the receiver so you don't damage them and never snatch them out with pliers. He never decribed a part a I would guess he doesn't even know the names of them. He is certainly not qualified to be giving advise of stipping a Remington Shotgun. Oh well, every clown with a video camera is a start on youtube. My videos are even there but you can't see the big floopy shoes I am wearing.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

fail.
Old 05-20-2011, 5:18 PM

AIPPi:

It's the shell latch that gave me the problem. Unless I missed something on your website, the videos do not cover the re-installation of the shell latch, bolt, and trigger group for a .410, or even a 12 or 20 ga. Remington model 11-48.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I did manange to get it back together, but with more angst and time than I've ever experienced with a gun.

I wish I could find the proper instructions for my .410! I even bought the Gun Digest book on disassembly/reassembly of shotguns, because the 11-48 was listed in the table of contents. The damn book barely mentions the carrier latch and was money thrown away.

Oh well, live and learn.
Old 05-21-2011, 9:40 AM

I never said there was anything on my web site about the 11-48. It is hard to help someone not using the correct terms as I only know these parts by those and have to guess what the person is talking about. The semi-autos have a "Feed Latch" and an "Interceptor Latch". You are using the term "Shell Latch" so I don't which one you are refering to. Had we been talking on the phone I could have asked questions and understood and talked you through it.

In your other post I assumed you were having trouble installing the carrier and the carrier installs just like in the video I refered you to. I have spent two weeks at the factory in Illion over the past few years to learn how to do these things and don't mind helping someone if I can understand their issue.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 05-21-2011, 4:30 PM

Ppknut,
I feel your pain! I took out an old Kmart Squires .22 rifle my Grand father left me for a good cleaning and watched as a tiny ball bearing bounced of the patio table and disappeared. What started out as a beautiful day on the patio sniffing Hoppers, turned into a nightmare of a day. I finally swallowed my pride and asked a buddy of mine for help. He was able to fix it. (Thanks Dave) I feel your pain!
Old 05-21-2011, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
It is hard to help someone not using the correct terms as I only know these parts by those and have to guess what the person is talking about.
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about the "Shell Latch". The 11-48 really does have one. Part #17519 - Shell Latch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ppknut -

Thee is a special tool to aid in assembling the 11-48, it is a "Z" shaped piece of wire. I never had much luck with it though.

Try this-
- install bolt assembly
- install barrel assembly
- install shell latch -- insert the pin part way to hold it in place
- install the trigger guard -- back end first --- and too far forward
- slide the trigger guard rearward and rotate into place
Old 05-22-2011, 8:42 AM

Thanks for the info swifty. Shows what I know. Guess that is why the 1100 and 11-87 where improved. The basic principles of these weapons are very much the same and I am sure I would have figured the 11-48 out and with the help of the Numrich Schematic that Marlin Hunter posted and the knowledge of Remington shotguns I have it would have been easy. I should have reviewed that before commenting. I can see why ppk got fustrated. Going into any semi auto with no knowledge of these weapons is not advisable. I also know that of two things that are not DIY projects guns are one of them. I just rebuilt my High Standard Darringer and changed the .22 mag barrel for a .22 LR. and had to switch all new parts into my frame. With out the schematic I found on line I would have been using the gun as a paper weight.

I posted a "Gun Smiths Only" - "What are the worst DIY jobs you have ever had brought to you to correct"? I posted it on multiple forums and it was a fun read. Guy can turn a $40 gun smith bill into a $200 one real fast. Add the fact that not knowning what you are doing can result in an unsafe weapon and one that can be dangerous to the user and guns are not good candiates for DIY projects. Since the guy did not know what he was doing he would not know the weapon was unsafe till he pulled the trigger. Gun smiths, auto mechcanics and Emergency rooms can make money of the DIY guys. As proof of this, my mower deck has been at the John Deere place in Freedmont MI for over a week because I tried to repair a spindle on the deck. Did not want to pay that $86 an hour Mechcanics fee. Had to pay someone to mow my yard on Friday and no promise of getting my deck back even this week. I will pay for that.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com

Last edited by aippi; 05-22-2011 at 9:00 AM..
Old 05-22-2011, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about the "Shell Latch". The 11-48 really does have one. Part #17519 - Shell Latch

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ppknut -

Thee is a special tool to aid in assembling the 11-48, it is a "Z" shaped piece of wire. I never had much luck with it though.

Try this-
- install bolt assembly
- install barrel assembly
- install shell latch -- insert the pin part way to hold it in place
- install the trigger guard -- back end first --- and too far forward
- slide the trigger guard rearward and rotate into place
Swifty -

Thanks for your help and clarification. Your outlined method is essentially what I was finally able to accomplish. What is this "special tool" you refer to? I'd be interested in more info on that.

aippi -

I agree with what you say about DIY projects on guns. However, having DIY'd on dozens of semi auto shotguns (1100's, benelli's, older Ithacas, etc.), pistols, and others, I feel more that capable in this kind of undertaking. It's just that this particular gun had a twist compared to others, and I was having a tough time "untwisting" that issue.

-ppknut
Old 05-22-2011, 9:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

LOL, I haven't broken any of my 11-48s completely down yet but, I did go out and shoot my 12g yesterday at Oaktree. If you end up needing to break another one down to figure it out, let me know. I have a .410, 16g and 12g. But, I'm about 4 hours from you.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
LOL, I haven't broken any of my 11-48s completely down yet but, I did go out and shoot my 12g yesterday at Oaktree. If you end up needing to break another one down to figure it out, let me know. I have a .410, 16g and 12g. But, I'm about 4 hours from you.
I learned how to shoot trap and skeet at Oaktree back in the early 80's. Loved that place. Night leagues, great friends made, miss having it close by. Since Miramar closed, I've got nowhere to shoot skeet anymore