Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-15-2011, 1:25 PM

Smile .50 Beowulf Lower Receiver?

Hi guys, this is my first post on Calguns. I'm excited to learn new things about firearms!

I'm planning on purchasing a .50 Beowulf upper receiver from Alexander Arms, probably the Precision model. Unfortunately, AA won't ship lowers or full rifles to CA, so I'm going to have to shop elsewhere.

Does anyone know of a high-quality lower receiver for my Beowulf? Thanks!

http://alexanderarms.com/item/6/21/5...erAssembly.htm

P.S. This is going to be my first AR-15, so what are my mag options? 10-round non-detachable?
Old 05-15-2011, 1:48 PM
Calguns Addict

You can use any AR-15 lower for a Beowulf upper. There are a lot of makers to choose from and you should do some research on lowers that fit your price range. There are many threads about the quality of various makes.

You have a choice between going featureless or having a fixed mag. You should study the flow chart and also determine which configuration will best suit what you're going to use your rifle for. Range use? Hunting? Home defense?

I personally go featureless with a Monsterman grip, but if you want a traditional pistol grip, a bullet button is the way to go.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 05-15-2011, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

just be aware of the cost and availability of .50 beo ammo. If you are in socal head to rifle gear and choose an ar-15 lower.
Old 05-15-2011, 1:53 PM

First of all if this is your first AR I would recommend against making a .50 beowulf for the following reasons:

1) ammo is very expensive
2) ammo is hard to come by some times
3) you will have more fun shooting .223/5.56

If you still not discourage by that well any mil spec AR lower will work with the Alexander Arms Beowulf uppers.

As for magazine you can use detachable magazines if you make a featureless rifle. Featureless means:

1) No pistol grip (use monster man or solar-tactical grip)
2) No flash hider (muzzle break ok)
3) No retracting stock
4) No forward grip
5) No grenade launcher

If you want to use any of these then you need a bullet button. A bullet button prevents the operator from removing the magazine with bare hands. A tool is needed usually a bullet or a screwdriver. If you have an AR with bullet button you cannot put a mag that hold more the 10 rounds if you do you go to jail. Lookup the cal guns AR-15 follow chart to understand all California assault weapon laws.

With a beowulf round you will need a standard 30 magazine to be able to put 10 rounds in it. Basically 10 rounds of beowulf take up the space of 30 AR 5.56 rounds. The 20 round mag hold 7 Beowulf rounds.

Gaspiston
Old 05-15-2011, 3:30 PM

I agree with "not" making the Beowulf your 1st ar build, simply because its not a round thats fun to shoot for any extended amount of time which you'll want to do once you get that baby to the range. As well as I wouldn't go featureless with a solar or monster grip, imo that would make it even more uncomfortable to shoot.

My suggestion would be that you build a 5.56 ar 1st, then when youre able to, purchase the Beowulf upper which your can just swap out. That way after your shoulder is done taking a pounding from the Wulf, your can spend the rest of the days shooting 5.56. Also I would make sure your Beowulf mags are stamped .50cal so they're not mistaken for hi cap .223 mags.

Either way goodluck

I take it you're not here for the alcohol or the tobacco
Old 05-15-2011, 3:41 PM

1. buy a shotgun
2. buy slugs
3. have money left over for a decent .223
4. ???????

Profit!
Old 05-15-2011, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDFTD View Post
1. buy a shotgun
2. buy slugs
3. have money left over for a decent .223
4. ???????

Profit!

never thought of it that way, thatll work to but ill take the beowulf

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 05-15-2011, 5:30 PM

i've got uppers that turn your ar into a bolt action high caliber, no .50 beowulf's on hand but i can get them, uppers not lowers.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/928325440...lack_AR_15.htm

daniel@gunsafari.com
www.GunSafari.com
www.facebook.com/GunSafari like us and be the first to hear of the latest deals coming from us
Coupon codes: "ontarget" 10% off trijicon, "aimlow" 5% off aimpoint
FFL coming May 2012...
Old 05-15-2011, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSafari View Post
i've got uppers that turn your ar into a bolt action high caliber, no .50 beowulf's on hand but i can get them, uppers not lowers.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/928325440...lack_AR_15.htm

thats nice but lightweight and high power kinda dont sound right in the same sentence together..Lol

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 05-15-2011, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

www.50beowulf.com
Old 05-15-2011, 5:47 PM
Calguns Addict

BMG round is cheaper and more accessible for purchase but beowulf is bad@$$. heard BMG has better FPS also. could be wrong about the FPS

Old 05-15-2011, 7:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
BMG round is cheaper and more accessible for purchase but beowulf is bad@$$. heard BMG has better FPS also. could be wrong about the FPS
Where are you finding .50bmg ammo for 1.50ea?
Old 05-15-2011, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Apples and oranges. Beowulf is a short range weapon, but the nice thing about it is that it uses a standard AR-15 lower and magazines. 50 BMG is a much longer range weapon and both the rounds and the weapon are much heavier.
Old 05-15-2011, 9:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

About $30 a box (of 20) is the going rate for Beowulf. Just have to keep your ears to the ground...TDS Guns (board sponser) has had them in stock all year.

http://tdsguns.com/store/category/53/234/.50-BEOWULF/
Old 05-16-2011, 2:13 PM

thanks guys, your feedback is definitely appreciated! maybe i will start with a 5.56, maybe a 6.8 SPC. I think having a detachable magazine would be be a huge plus, so I'll be going to monster man grip, etc. does that mean that if I follow all the rules listed above and elsewhere, then I don't have to be limited to 10 rounds? If I don't have a foregrip, flash hider, pistol grip, etc., can i buy 30 round mags?
Old 05-16-2011, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asset View Post
thanks guys, your feedback is definitely appreciated! maybe i will start with a 5.56, maybe a 6.8 SPC. I think having a detachable magazine would be be a huge plus, so I'll be going to monster man grip, etc. does that mean that if I follow all the rules listed above and elsewhere, then I don't have to be limited to 10 rounds? If I don't have a foregrip, flash hider, pistol grip, etc., can i buy 30 round mags?
Unfortunately, if you are in CA you can't buy 30 round magazines, even with a "featureless" setup like you described. Only if you own them already. (Or if you "find" them I suppose. )
Old 05-16-2011, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

If you really want a marked 50 Beowulf (like I do-because of total gun OCD); then just buy one from AA, have it shipped to a 2nd party FFL out of state, and then have them send it to your local FFL who's cool with the whole ordeal. It will cost you a bit more in shipping and handling fees, but it'll give you the end result you want. Or just buy from other CA Friendly FFL's online who have them in stock
Old 05-16-2011, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I personally don't want to spend $420 on a complete lower, when all I want is the stripped lower receiver :P
Old 05-16-2011, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
thats nice but lightweight and high power kinda dont sound right in the same sentence together..Lol

Really? Look up 6.8 SPC, 25 WSSM, 30 OSSM, 458 SOCOM, .450 Bushmaster, and 50 Beowulf and open your mind and widen your gaze.
But for affordability for most of us, you'll have to take up reloading.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by advocatusdiaboli; 05-16-2011 at 4:39 PM..
Old 05-16-2011, 5:05 PM

I know you may have been talked out of a 50 Beowulf, but I saw some lowers at Ammo Bros in Ontario just a few days ago stamped 50 Beowulf .

I don't know where you are located though, nor if you are still interested in buying one.

Just in cast though.
Old 05-16-2011, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asset View Post
Theirs certainly enough info and members on here to put you on the right track for a featureless build, and a monster man grip is cheap enough where you can try it and not break the bank. However I think you should keep things simple and stick with the bb button. This is your 1st build and you don't want to accidentally find yourself on the wrong side of the law, you sound a bit green on Cali laws and overly excited to do hi cap mags. Will it really make a difference shooting a 30 rd mag as oppose to shooting 3 10 rounders? 10 rounders load easier and detach just as easily as a 30. And as I said before, those MM grips suck the fun out of shooting, of course others don't mind the grip as a trade off for the hi caps.

Not trying to scare you but give you food for thought, because when youre bringing attention to yourself at the range and some LEA shows up, take a guess who they'll be taking a good look at, yup the guy with brand new hi cap P30 mags. You don't want to studder some explanation that you were told everything is legal per some gun forum online. Again, just something to think about as our laws are senseless and confusing enough and LEA's are also confused by them.

Goodluck with your build

I take it you're not here for the alcohol or the tobacco