Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-11-2011, 8:24 PM

Default Nice Guy At The Range

Went up to the Chabot Range last Sunday A.M. I had no one to my left, and a guy two stations down to my right. Now, I'm a bit taller than the average shooter (6'8") and I realized that my expelled brass was flying over the shield and landing near this other shooter. I went and apologized for showering him with hot brass and offered to move down a couple of spaces. He smiled and said "Not a problem. All part of the "Range Experience"! Stay where you are."
Thanks!

Jim
Old 05-11-2011, 8:48 PM

That reminds me of being at the range when I was at FLETC. Guy to my left was about 4 inches taller then me and got some hot 9mm brass inside my shirt collar.
Old 05-11-2011, 9:01 PM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798

Hot Brass! Used to happen to me all the time when I was younger, jaded my experience for awhile, then I realized it was all part of the experience!

-------
Old 05-11-2011, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

every time I go to the range I get complainers, one guy even brought me a piece of brass that hit him and mentioned something about my brass landing around his station. I was going to ask him if my gun was too loud as well but just told him thanks instead and threw it in my bag.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 PM

So I take it that he wasnt one of those old guys who get there before the range opens to shoot there 4 thousand dollar custom silhouette rifles. It takes getting hit in the face with rifle brass or a nick on a nice rifle to piss me off. When Im there, I use brass deflecters if possible so I wont cause any problems. That was a nice guy....
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimz68 View Post
Went up to the Chabot Range last Sunday A.M. I had no one to my left, and a guy two stations down to my right. Now, I'm a bit taller than the average shooter (6'8") and I realized that my expelled brass was flying over the shield and landing near this other shooter. I went and apologized for showering him with hot brass and offered to move down a couple of spaces. He smiled and said "Not a problem. All part of the "Range Experience"! Stay where you are."
Thanks!

Jim
Wow 6'8''. I don't think he was being nice I think he was scared of you.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

That's why I wear a cap when shooting pistols.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 PM

I usually put up screens if peoples brass is bugging me

-Makarov PM .380 ACP

-Ruger 10/22, Tapco T6 Stock, Leupold 3-9 40
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Thanks!

Jim
Good on you for apologizing for something you really didn't have to; and good on him for shrugging it off as no big deal. THAT is how society SHOULD work!!

Turby
Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 AM

An armed society is a polite society....
Old 05-12-2011, 1:11 AM

I'm 6'4" And shoot often, I don't see it as a problem if brass hits me. And usually i shoot indoors so the big plastic walls hold the brass to my lane. Now what makes me angry are guys who brings girls to be macho and don't show them the ropes, girl fires guns gets shocked by the recoil and points a load gun at me with finger on the trigger laughing "did you see that"
Old 05-12-2011, 1:18 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't mind if brass hit's me in the face it really doesn't bother me. But some people... man do they start yelling and losing their cool. I don't expect any apologies for someones brass hitting me especially when the range is full and no barriers can be put up. It's not like it hurts.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 05-12-2011, 1:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by appagohm View Post
I'm 6'4" And shoot often, I don't see it as a problem if brass hits me. And usually i shoot indoors so the big plastic walls hold the brass to my lane. Now what makes me angry are guys who brings girls to be macho and don't show them the ropes, girl fires guns gets shocked by the recoil and points a load gun at me with finger on the trigger laughing "did you see that"
Lol yea that's pretty annoying. Or when they are standing at the rifle side with an AR15 and hold it at the hip and then turn around with the rifle pointing at everyone down the range... ROs are usually watching them like hawks though.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 05-12-2011, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
I don't mind if brass hit's me in the face it really doesn't bother me. But some people... man do they start yelling and losing their cool. I don't expect any apologies for someones brass hitting me especially when the range is full and no barriers can be put up. It's not like it hurts.
I guess you've never stood next to me when I'm shooting my Mini 14.....I swear the spent bras is more lethal than the projectile.
Seriously though, nobody's tossing brass at anyone intentionally.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thanks!

Jim
Thank was really nice of you to ask him, I wish there were more shooters like you down in LA.

I was at ASR, busy weekend day it was packed. The lane to my left had several people firing an AR. Eventually one of their hot casings went into the back of my collar and in the few seconds it took me to reach up and remove it there was my flesh stuck to it. I had 2 very impressive burns on the back of my neck for some time after that. They hurt like hell for a couple of days. The people in the lane next to me said nothing, did nothing. There is no way they didn't know what had happened because boy oh boy did I move with vigor and purpose when that thing started burning me. They had been pelting with with casings on and off for over 30 minutes before they finally scored the 3 pointer.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Calguns Addict

These days its not the brass that bothers me but the muzzle blast. Do you really need a tank brake on a .223? Come on.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelogic View Post
These days its not the brass that bothers me but the muzzle blast. Do you really need a tank brake on a .223? Come on.
meh... i have brakes that have a fair amount of muzzle blast on my AR's and yes i need them.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 AM

Mods, please move this to the m4m section of Craigslist.

FWIW, I'm always nice to the person shooting next to me. In fact, I wear my CalGuns hat to the range, and some give me the knowing nod while saying, "Calguns!".
Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 AM

ive gotten at least 3 really good burns from having a buddy in the next lane pelt me with brass. One hit me in the neck got caught in my collar and burned my neck, another hit me in the same spot but roll down my back and sat there, the last one was same spot but down my sleeve. the one on my neck was teh worst, blistered and was red immediately. haha, now i ALWAYS choose the bench to the left and always wear something with a hood.

But TBH, its just part of the game. Just gotta deal with it, or stop shooting =P and for me thats not an options
Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Dinosaur

Brass happens. I took a friend shooting and she was wearing a low cut number. I offered her one of my work shirts to wear and she refused.
Later on she showed off her burn marks proudly.

Punkrock girls FTW
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This post had me laughing because it reminded me or a range trip a few years back. My buddy was shooting at the pistol range and his brass hit the older guy next to him so my buddy put the pistol down to apologize and the guy looked at him and said "what your going to stop shooting over a piece of brass? Dont worry about it" Me and my buddy were both laughing.
Then a few week later I had a piece of my brass go right down the front of this girls shirt - she was not shooting just watching her BF shoot. She did the hot brass dance and got mad at me. My same buddy waited for her to finish and befor I can say sorry he says "Well we reload so do you think we could get that back"?

Any way I wish ever one was like like the first guy....
Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 AM

I got hit with hot brass at Chabot, I went over to the shooter and asked if he wanted it back...he apologized, I said it was part of the package and we laughed.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Getting pissed because you got hit with brass at the range is like getting pissed because you got splashed by the pool.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotebait View Post
Getting pissed because you got hit with brass at the range is like getting pissed because you got splashed by the pool.
Unless its your first time duck hunting, you're with me, I'm purposely ejecting every spent shell at you and laughing inside because you think it's part of the game.
Old 05-12-2011, 8:39 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBait View Post
Unless its your first time duck hunting, you're with me, I'm purposely ejecting every spent shell at you and laughing inside because you think it's part of the game.
Oooh, now that's just evil.

Turby
Old 05-12-2011, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBait View Post
I wonder if this is what Cheney was doing when he shot Harry Whittington?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

I do find brass hitting you IN THE FACE to be rather annoying. F___ing Mini-14s!

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Eh - sort of. When I go to a swimming pool, it's typically to swim, songetting wet (by others splashing or by you jumping in the pool) is all part of it. However, I don't think people go to the range with the express purpose of having hot pieces of metal singe their skin, unless they're into some weird S&M stuff, but I digress.

How brass at the range is more like going to Hometown Buffet or your local Chinese buffet and seeing people use the noodle tongs to scoop up orange chicken, or the soup ladle to spoon rice onto their plate. It's annoying, but it's also to be expected. Just deal with it, or go elsewhere.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 Blast View Post
Eh - sort of. When I go to a swimming pool, it's typically to swim, songetting wet (by others splashing or by you jumping in the pool) is all part of it.
You've obviously never been to the pool with my X

Last edited by coyotebait; 05-13-2011 at 12:13 PM..
Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 PM

When I went to the range last week there was a guy who's raining a few 9mm casings on me but I was okay with that LOL. It's not a big deal imo.
Old 05-13-2011, 8:17 PM

All part of the territory! Though, out of respect I do try to get the far right lane when I shoot certian guns(Saiga, I am talking about you!), that gun tends to be random. Most brass tend to go forward and over two or three lanes, some tend to go to the right only. Not sure why.
I have been pelted many times, hell even caught some brass mid air, from ARs, (don't do that, it is hot at that moment). Unless sombody is rude or even doing it on purpose, I do not worry one bit!
Old 05-13-2011, 9:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I guess you've never stood next to me when I'm shooting my Mini 14.....I swear the spent bras is more lethal than the projectile.
Seriously though, nobody's tossing brass at anyone intentionally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
I do find brass hitting you IN THE FACE to be rather annoying. F___ing Mini-14s!
Never saw a Mini 14, that didn't launch brass at least 4 shooting stations away! I always seem to lose a lot of brass w/ mine...

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 05-14-2011, 4:54 AM
Calguns Addict

I could care less about the brass or noise. I've done the one hole varmint gun thing at the range. Where you do one shot every ten minutes, let the barrel cool down and clean between shots. It never bothered me when other shooters were blasting away with those "evil black rifles". Or when the fifty was sounding off. So what, its a shooting range. But at SLOSA range there are cry babies that are scared of the noise, brass and the steel gongs getting hit. The RO are really cool but some of the shooters there are p****'s
Old 05-14-2011, 5:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm thinking that SLOSA needs a "Getting hit by hot brass at the range is like getting splashed with water at the swimming pool: Just expect it."

Old 05-14-2011, 7:52 AM

We should always be nice at the range. Shooting is relaxing to me. It's my getaway and try to bring a smile to my fellow shooters...but then they may think I'm gay. Hahaha.
Old 05-14-2011, 2:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
I'm thinking that SLOSA needs a "Getting hit by hot brass at the range is like getting splashed with water at the swimming pool: Just expect it."

Old 05-14-2011, 2:06 PM

I got tossed out of a range for opening a Mosin bayonet once. Hmmm, bayonet on a loaded rifle is dangerous? DOH! Never had a brass problem. I saw a guy at a bullseye match in Sacramento that had this tarp and some clamps to make a chute so all of his brass went straight into his range bag. That was tight!.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
01 Dealer 3xGuns Redding, CA
US Army MP Corps Veteran
NRA Pistol Coach Level 3

I am always looking for Beretta D models in 9mm or a Compact Type M.
Old 05-15-2011, 7:51 AM

Getting hit by pistol brass is not a real big deal to me. Brass is fairly lite. Trajectory is different. It usually just falls down with little force. Its the high power rifle brass that gets my attention. .223, .308, 7.67x39, 30-06. Stuff like that. I once got hit in the temple by some caliber that cut my brow and knocked my safety glasses off my nose. It wasn't fun. Yes it comes with the sport I know. I just step back if the brass hits me more than 3 times in a string. As for comparing it to getting wet with pool water. BAD COMPARISON!!!!!!
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
Brass happens. I took a friend shooting and she was wearing a low cut number. I offered her one of my work shirts to wear and she refused.
Later on she showed off her burn marks proudly.

Punkrock girls FTW
Old 05-15-2011, 3:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I love hot brass searing into my back as I fire a volley toward the X-ring.