Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-13-2013, 4:32 PM

Default Retired OSHP

Retired Ohio Trooper moving to California. Hows the concealed carry and what do I need to do once residence is established? Thanks all.
Old 06-13-2013, 4:51 PM

As long as you have your retirement credentials and a year hasn't elapsed since your last qualification you are covered under LEOSA aka HR 218. Look up 18 USC 926B for details. Handguns brought into the state have to be registered with Ca DOJ within 60 days ( from my memory). Assembled magazines over 10 rounds cannot be "imported" into the state. Long guns that are considered "assault rifles" also cannot legally be brought into the P.R.O.C. Check the CaDOJ Bureau of Firearms site for further info and clarification of this states wonderful gun laws. Welcome to Ca. You are sure to enjoy our taxes, stupid laws, quality of living, and insane liberals. Were also famous for our illegal aliens. Enjoy!

Last edited by StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca; 06-13-2013 at 5:27 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 5:07 PM

As stated above, make sure you stay current under the requirements of LEOSA, and you are good to go. California is a “may issue” State, and if you will be living in an urban area, it will be very difficult if not impossible for you to get a CCW. The rural areas are a bit better, but you will still have to jump through some hoops.

While there may be some California LE agencies that will qualify you under the authority of LEOSA, I am not aware of any. There are some private companies that meet the requirements to qualify retired cops under LEOSA; so unless you plan on an annual trip back to Ohio, I suspect that will be the way for you to get recertified on an annual basis.

If you need more specific or detailed information, PM me, and we can exchange phone numbers.

Last edited by 003; 06-13-2013 at 5:10 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 5:22 PM

Don't come. Kalifornia is financially circling the drain as we speak and our so called "legislature" is outlawing every gun they can make illegal.

You're better off in Ohio......
Old 06-13-2013, 8:16 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

More importantly than a simple "don't come", what part of the state are you moving to? There are VAST differences between many places. Some parts, you would be hard pressed to tell if you were in the Appalachians.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsatch View Post
Retired Ohio Trooper moving to California. Hows the concealed carry and what do I need to do once residence is established? Thanks all.
Buy a one-way ticket back to Ohio before you arrive in California...j/k

Seriously, Make sure you have LEOSA Liability Insurance in place before you hit the Calfornia State Line.

The CA. FOP Lodges offer good LEOSA Plans for retirees.

http://www.foplegal.com/

Good luck with the move
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
More importantly than a simple "don't come", what part of the state are you moving to? There are VAST differences between many places. Some parts, you would be hard pressed to tell if you were in the Appalachians.
Spyder, what areas are "friendly"? Unfortunately we may be around the San Fran/ Sacramento area. We do have a little "space" to pick our area.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsatch View Post
Hello and welcome to Calguns (I am an active LEO)

I presume you have a compelling reason to move here. I will be leaving immediately upon retirement. The bay area is crowded and expensive, and the epicenter of the horrific politics that are running the state into the ground. The idea of folks voluntarily emigrating to California mystifies me to no end.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Some parts, you would be hard pressed to tell if you were in the Appalachians.
That is, until you look at your income tax rates, vheicle registration fees, or try to buy an un-neutered gun or magazine.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There used to be a site called packing.org that listed by county the easy or difficulty in obtaining a ccw. Unfortunately, the site is no longer around. IIRC, the smaller counties above or near San Francisco County were pretty much shall issue. San Francisco and Los Angeles counties are the sites of the more liberal areas in this state and you won't have any luck in SF.

There is a ccw forum here on Calguns and you might check that out for some assistance. It is in the same group of specialty forums the leo forum is in. Just scroll down a bit. Good luck

I'm retired leo and if I could, I would have done what Bobby will do upon his retirement; move out of state. My 3 kids and 10 1/4 grandkids all live nearby and my house isn't worth anywhere near what I paid for it, so I don't see me escaping. If I win the lotto I will move the whole family out, but since I used up all of my luck winning a motorcycle when I was 15, I don't see that happening either.
Old 06-14-2013, 1:50 PM

Here is a link to a map that pretty much tells the CCW story

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=773024
Old 06-14-2013, 2:01 PM

BCSATCH
Check the map. You want a county east of Sac. El Dorado is cool. The Sheriff already said he won't aid and abet any lunacy.....at least for now.
Old 06-15-2013, 2:48 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Tadich, that is excellent and exactly what the other site did. Thanks for providing that, not only for the OP, but for anyone else who might be interested in knowing which counties support the 2nd Amendment.
Old 06-19-2013, 2:56 PM

18 USC 926b is for active LEOs
18 USC 926c is for retired LEOs.