Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-07-2011, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Any reason why Turners doesn't open a store in the bay area?

This is probably a dup x 10 . I see all these great prices mentioned by everyone for a variety of firearms and those of us in the bay area can't take advantage of this. There's a Bass Pro about 70miles from Santa Clara but that's about it.

So does anyone know why Turners doesn't expand to NorCal?

NRA Life Member
SAF Life Member
Old 05-07-2011, 3:03 PM

Because it's the Bay Area??

Seriously, I would imagine they feel they'd have "difficulties" with the local powers that be, and a store there would be a lot farther away from corporate than the current stores.

Last edited by Bruce; 05-07-2011 at 3:11 PM..
Old 05-07-2011, 3:05 PM

Cities might not want it. Same reason there is no Walmart in SF.
Old 05-07-2011, 3:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

good question. my guess is "business strategy" keeps the stores in southern california.
Old 05-07-2011, 3:34 PM

We only buy beef jerky and RC helicopters at our gun shows up here in NorCal. We don't deserve a Turners.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 05-07-2011, 3:36 PM

My guess is warehousing and staffing.
Having said that, we did have a Turners down here in THIS (south) bay area, but it was demolished. The replacement store was originally slated to open in February, but now is estimated in June. Anybody know what's up with that?
Old 05-07-2011, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

I've been wondering the same thing, theres a bunch of big 5s but they don't have much selection. Also a good amount of gun shops but they tend not to have deals like Turners does.
Old 05-07-2011, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdouglas View Post
My guess is warehousing and staffing.
Having said that, we did have a Turners down here in THIS (south) bay area, but it was demolished. The replacement store was originally slated to open in February, but now is estimated in June. Anybody know what's up with that?
June "might" be a good estimate. The new address is just south of 182nd on the west side of Hawthorne. Locals may remember this as Pet City, I don't have the exact address. A sign went up about three weeks ago and construction on the building started a week later. At the moment, the original glass facade has been boarded up and new glu-lams (I think) are being applied to the front of the building with metal stud systems being applied between. No sign of a finished design yet.

Considering how poorly staffed and stocked the old store was, I'm not holding my breath for the new location. Have you considered driving out to Ammo Bros in Cerritos?
Old 05-07-2011, 5:18 PM

The city governments in the bay area are very unfriendy to shops. No more Siegels, San Francisco Gun Exchange, Traders, Hogan's, etc. Too many bleeding heart liberals who know what's best for all us peons.
Old 05-07-2011, 5:28 PM

Man I miss Traders, that was an awesome store, fully stocked in everything a gun lover could need/want, bought my first rifles there!
Old 05-07-2011, 5:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There can be many reasons.

One reason you don't see a store in a particular area is market saturation. Not an issue with the store not being able to break even... but an issue with their suppliers not being willing to give that market to a dealer due to the new dealer's impact on existing dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-07-2011, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

The furthest they have gone would be San Diego(Kearny Mesa?) area so far. I think opening up a store in SF bay area would be a bit too much, even without local government harassing them.

They changed ownership several times so far, so expansion might not be the first priority. But who knows.
Old 05-07-2011, 6:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Always wondered the same thing. I hate seeing the threads about Turners having great deals.
Old 05-07-2011, 6:29 PM

Remember TriCity Sporting Goods in Fremont. That's why there isn't a Turners in the bay area.
Old 05-08-2011, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinbruder View Post
June "might" be a good estimate. The new address is just south of 182nd on the west side of Hawthorne. Locals may remember this as Pet City, I don't have the exact address. A sign went up about three weeks ago and construction on the building started a week later. At the moment, the original glass facade has been boarded up and new glu-lams (I think) are being applied to the front of the building with metal stud systems being applied between. No sign of a finished design yet.

Considering how poorly staffed and stocked the old store was, I'm not holding my breath for the new location. Have you considered driving out to Ammo Bros in Cerritos?
Being "local" is a big deal. Market saturation has been discussed here, among other things.
If I have something specific in mind to purchase, it's easy enough to call around and see if Gun Store X has it. That's not, however, what I want. Out of the last 4 firearms that I bought at Turners Redondo, three of them were 'impulse' buys. I just went in to see what they had and ended up buying stuff that I wasn't looking for in specific. Ammo Bros is 22 miles, the new Turners is 3 miles tops. I won't drive 80 minutes or so for a round trip to browse a store.
I suspect in NorCal the situation is similar. Want something specific? Call and go. Want to just do lookee-loo? It's gotta be reasonably close, or an absolutely massive store to justify the drive.
By the way, I have a local Davidson's 'kitchen table' FFL where I generally satisfy my very specific wants.
I'm sure that the new Turners management would look at the economics of entering the NorCal market, but it would almost be a brand new ballgame, since the SoCal infrastructure wouldn't really be helpful for a chain of stores in the North.
Old 05-08-2011, 9:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsweims View Post
The city governments in the bay area are very unfriendy to shops. No more Siegels, San Francisco Gun Exchange, Traders, Hogan's, etc. Too many bleeding heart liberals who know what's best for all us peons.
You forgot.. to many smelly hippies..
Old 05-08-2011, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdouglas View Post
Being "local" is a big deal. Market saturation has been discussed here, among other things.
If I have something specific in mind to purchase, it's easy enough to call around and see if Gun Store X has it. That's not, however, what I want. Out of the last 4 firearms that I bought at Turners Redondo, three of them were 'impulse' buys. I just went in to see what they had and ended up buying stuff that I wasn't looking for in specific. Ammo Bros is 22 miles, the new Turners is 3 miles tops. I won't drive 80 minutes or so for a round trip to browse a store.
I suspect in NorCal the situation is similar. Want something specific? Call and go. Want to just do lookee-loo? It's gotta be reasonably close, or an absolutely massive store to justify the drive.
By the way, I have a local Davidson's 'kitchen table' FFL where I generally satisfy my very specific wants.
I'm sure that the new Turners management would look at the economics of entering the NorCal market, but it would almost be a brand new ballgame, since the SoCal infrastructure wouldn't really be helpful for a chain of stores in the North.
The Reseda store is about 20 min. away from me, any savings due to a sale would be eaten up by the fuel used to power my 351 Bronco down the road.. Occasionally, I'll stop by on my way home from work but not so much now that L.A.'s sales tax is 9.75%. I'm going to stop typing now because I'm getting pissed.
Old 05-08-2011, 2:32 PM

9.75% sales tax in LA? Lightweights. Sales tax next door to me here in Union City is 10.5%!!! San leandro is 10.25%

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 05-08-2011, 6:34 PM

That's why I'll stick to Ventura county with it's 8.25%, still sucks though.