Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2011, 2:39 PM
XYZ's Avatar
XYZ XYZ is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area - South Bay
Posts: 5,484
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Default Any reason why Turners doesn't open a store in the bay area?

This is probably a dup x 10 . I see all these great prices mentioned by everyone for a variety of firearms and those of us in the bay area can't take advantage of this. There's a Bass Pro about 70miles from Santa Clara but that's about it.

So does anyone know why Turners doesn't expand to NorCal?
__________________

NRA Life Member
SAF Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-07-2011, 3:03 PM
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce Bruce is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,088
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Because it's the Bay Area??

Seriously, I would imagine they feel they'd have "difficulties" with the local powers that be, and a store there would be a lot farther away from corporate than the current stores.
__________________
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Last edited by Bruce; 05-07-2011 at 3:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2011, 3:05 PM
4thHorse's Avatar
4thHorse 4thHorse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 187
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Cities might not want it. Same reason there is no Walmart in SF.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-07-2011, 3:15 PM
bsg bsg is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: san gabriel valley
Posts: 24,639
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

good question. my guess is "business strategy" keeps the stores in southern california.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-07-2011, 3:34 PM
WWDHD? WWDHD? is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alameda County
Posts: 1,462
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

We only buy beef jerky and RC helicopters at our gun shows up here in NorCal. We don't deserve a Turners.
__________________
NRA & CRPA member
semi-docile tax payer
amateur survivalist

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-07-2011, 3:36 PM
ljdouglas's Avatar
ljdouglas ljdouglas is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 369
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

My guess is warehousing and staffing.
Having said that, we did have a Turners down here in THIS (south) bay area, but it was demolished. The replacement store was originally slated to open in February, but now is estimated in June. Anybody know what's up with that?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-07-2011, 4:19 PM
nagorb's Avatar
nagorb nagorb is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: peninsula
Posts: 4,368
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

I've been wondering the same thing, theres a bunch of big 5s but they don't have much selection. Also a good amount of gun shops but they tend not to have deals like Turners does.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-07-2011, 4:35 PM
meinbruder's Avatar
meinbruder meinbruder is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 73
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdouglas View Post
My guess is warehousing and staffing.
Having said that, we did have a Turners down here in THIS (south) bay area, but it was demolished. The replacement store was originally slated to open in February, but now is estimated in June. Anybody know what's up with that?
June "might" be a good estimate. The new address is just south of 182nd on the west side of Hawthorne. Locals may remember this as Pet City, I don't have the exact address. A sign went up about three weeks ago and construction on the building started a week later. At the moment, the original glass facade has been boarded up and new glu-lams (I think) are being applied to the front of the building with metal stud systems being applied between. No sign of a finished design yet.

Considering how poorly staffed and stocked the old store was, I'm not holding my breath for the new location. Have you considered driving out to Ammo Bros in Cerritos?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-07-2011, 5:18 PM
mjsweims's Avatar
mjsweims mjsweims is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SF Bay area
Posts: 807
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

The city governments in the bay area are very unfriendy to shops. No more Siegels, San Francisco Gun Exchange, Traders, Hogan's, etc. Too many bleeding heart liberals who know what's best for all us peons.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-07-2011, 5:28 PM
lineman66 lineman66 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 248
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Default

Man I miss Traders, that was an awesome store, fully stocked in everything a gun lover could need/want, bought my first rifles there!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-07-2011, 5:35 PM
Cokebottle's Avatar
Cokebottle Cokebottle is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 22,861
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

There can be many reasons.

One reason you don't see a store in a particular area is market saturation. Not an issue with the store not being able to break even... but an issue with their suppliers not being willing to give that market to a dealer due to the new dealer's impact on existing dealers.
__________________
-- Rich


Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-07-2011, 5:57 PM
HCz HCz is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,297
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

The furthest they have gone would be San Diego(Kearny Mesa?) area so far. I think opening up a store in SF bay area would be a bit too much, even without local government harassing them.

They changed ownership several times so far, so expansion might not be the first priority. But who knows.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-07-2011, 6:18 PM
BayAreaShooter's Avatar
BayAreaShooter BayAreaShooter is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,055
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Always wondered the same thing. I hate seeing the threads about Turners having great deals.
__________________
http://lprg.org/images/quaillprg.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-07-2011, 6:29 PM
capitol's Avatar
capitol capitol is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I live in California
Posts: 2,180
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Remember TriCity Sporting Goods in Fremont. That's why there isn't a Turners in the bay area.
__________________
I don't need Google because my wife knows everything
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-08-2011, 9:32 AM
ljdouglas's Avatar
ljdouglas ljdouglas is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 369
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinbruder View Post
June "might" be a good estimate. The new address is just south of 182nd on the west side of Hawthorne. Locals may remember this as Pet City, I don't have the exact address. A sign went up about three weeks ago and construction on the building started a week later. At the moment, the original glass facade has been boarded up and new glu-lams (I think) are being applied to the front of the building with metal stud systems being applied between. No sign of a finished design yet.

Considering how poorly staffed and stocked the old store was, I'm not holding my breath for the new location. Have you considered driving out to Ammo Bros in Cerritos?
Being "local" is a big deal. Market saturation has been discussed here, among other things.
If I have something specific in mind to purchase, it's easy enough to call around and see if Gun Store X has it. That's not, however, what I want. Out of the last 4 firearms that I bought at Turners Redondo, three of them were 'impulse' buys. I just went in to see what they had and ended up buying stuff that I wasn't looking for in specific. Ammo Bros is 22 miles, the new Turners is 3 miles tops. I won't drive 80 minutes or so for a round trip to browse a store.
I suspect in NorCal the situation is similar. Want something specific? Call and go. Want to just do lookee-loo? It's gotta be reasonably close, or an absolutely massive store to justify the drive.
By the way, I have a local Davidson's 'kitchen table' FFL where I generally satisfy my very specific wants.
I'm sure that the new Turners management would look at the economics of entering the NorCal market, but it would almost be a brand new ballgame, since the SoCal infrastructure wouldn't really be helpful for a chain of stores in the North.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-08-2011, 9:40 AM
Steve1968LS2's Avatar
Steve1968LS2 Steve1968LS2 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,072
iTrader: 65 / 99%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsweims View Post
The city governments in the bay area are very unfriendy to shops. No more Siegels, San Francisco Gun Exchange, Traders, Hogan's, etc. Too many bleeding heart liberals who know what's best for all us peons.
You forgot.. to many smelly hippies..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-08-2011, 9:55 AM
coyotebait's Avatar
coyotebait coyotebait is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Moorpark, California
Posts: 1,322
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdouglas View Post
Being "local" is a big deal. Market saturation has been discussed here, among other things.
If I have something specific in mind to purchase, it's easy enough to call around and see if Gun Store X has it. That's not, however, what I want. Out of the last 4 firearms that I bought at Turners Redondo, three of them were 'impulse' buys. I just went in to see what they had and ended up buying stuff that I wasn't looking for in specific. Ammo Bros is 22 miles, the new Turners is 3 miles tops. I won't drive 80 minutes or so for a round trip to browse a store.
I suspect in NorCal the situation is similar. Want something specific? Call and go. Want to just do lookee-loo? It's gotta be reasonably close, or an absolutely massive store to justify the drive.
By the way, I have a local Davidson's 'kitchen table' FFL where I generally satisfy my very specific wants.
I'm sure that the new Turners management would look at the economics of entering the NorCal market, but it would almost be a brand new ballgame, since the SoCal infrastructure wouldn't really be helpful for a chain of stores in the North.
The Reseda store is about 20 min. away from me, any savings due to a sale would be eaten up by the fuel used to power my 351 Bronco down the road.. Occasionally, I'll stop by on my way home from work but not so much now that L.A.'s sales tax is 9.75%. I'm going to stop typing now because I'm getting pissed.
__________________
R.I.P. Chris Kyle. 2/2/13
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-08-2011, 2:32 PM
WWDHD? WWDHD? is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alameda County
Posts: 1,462
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

9.75% sales tax in LA? Lightweights. Sales tax next door to me here in Union City is 10.5%!!! San leandro is 10.25%
__________________
NRA & CRPA member
semi-docile tax payer
amateur survivalist

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-08-2011, 6:34 PM
coyotebait's Avatar
coyotebait coyotebait is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Moorpark, California
Posts: 1,322
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

That's why I'll stick to Ventura county with it's 8.25%, still sucks though.
__________________
R.I.P. Chris Kyle. 2/2/13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:42 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.