Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Guns, Jeeps and Drones
CGN Contributor

Question Corrosion on my bolt tail and bolt carrier?

I was doing a thorough cleaning of my DDM4 today and I noticed some bumps around the slope of the tail of the bolt. I thought it was carbon build up so I sprayed it down with action cleaner and then scrubbed it with a toothbrush. It did not come off. I tried taking a picture but you cannot see it, so I have no way of showing everyone. I also noticed a kind of lump around the inner ring that the bolt tail is inserted into.

I only shoot Federal XM193 ammo, but did shoot 100 rounds or so of Wolf Classic when I first got the rifle. I did thorough cleaning after shooting the Wolf ammo, but did not know to use Windex, since it was listed as non-corrosive.

Am I screwed and will I have to buy a whole new BCG? Could it possibly be a warranty issue? Is it bad to shoot it like this? I have had the rifle for 5 months and have around 1500 rounds through it. I normally clean it after every use, but have not cleaned it in about 5 trips to the range. It does not seem to affect the performance of the rifle. As far as accuracy goes, I shot 150 rounds yesterday at the range and it was really windy. So I do not know if accuracy is being affected. I was able to hit the skeet and bowling pins at 50 yards with no issues (between gusts).

Thanks in advance!!!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin 1818

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington 1790
Old 05-01-2011, 10:55 PM

Picture would really help... but if it's not noticeable on the pic you took, I would say don't worry about it. DD makes solid stuff, most new AR shooters baby their rifles too much... go shoot it and have fun. Unless there's cracks or something more noticeable, shoot and be happy

Read this: http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/filthy14_oct10.pdf

As for the Windex... it's only for corrosive stuff, none of which you are using. If you have corrosion from ammo, you'll seeing pitting near the gas ports (FSB) area and some of your trigger parts. I think you're fine.

~dpc
Old 05-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

ummm, unless you have corrosion on your boltface, I wouldn't worry about it.
The tail of the bolt is not an area that really effects the function of the gun.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:44 PM

It's fine. Not a thing to worry about.

One guy walks over to the black rifle area and starts gazing. An employee asked him if he knew what he wanted. The guy answered "Not sure......definitely something black.............and short...............and tactical."

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
-Mark Twain
Old 05-02-2011, 12:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Bumps? It's probably carbon. Go get a knife and scrape it off. Put away the brush and cleaner, and just scrape it off. If it were corrosion, it wouldn't be black and you've described exactly what carbon buildup looks like, and a toothbrush will not take it off.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member

I have that same thing on my BCM bolt. It's not a problem.
Old 05-02-2011, 7:33 AM
Veteran Member

Use a small knife to scrape it off.
This is normal carbon build up for a DI AR15 type rifle.
It's not a bug. It's a feature. Some day it may turn into a diamond.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-02-2011, 9:48 AM
Banned

Nothing to worry about.
Old 05-05-2011, 2:30 PM
Guns, Jeeps and Drones
CGN Contributor

You all were right, it was carbon build-up. I scraped at it with my fingernails and it didn't come off and it looked like corrosion. When I used my carbon scrapper and it all came right off.

Thanks again!!!

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin 1818

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington 1790

Last edited by WiKDMoNKY; 05-05-2011 at 3:12 PM..