Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 04-26-2011, 7:24 PM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Zion NP

Heading out there this July. Anyone been there? Will be hiking with my family (5 & 3 yr old boys)

Besides the obvious, water, sun protection, first aid kit, what else should I have on me. Not going to do any serious stuff. mainly 2-3 mile hikes.

Last edited by WokMaster1; 04-27-2011 at 7:38 AM..
Old 04-26-2011, 7:43 PM

camera. in the canyon not a whole lot of strenous hikes, perfect for kids.
Old 04-27-2011, 7:28 AM

Did you mean Zion National Park in Utah? There's a nice day hike to Emerald Pool I think it's called. If you go there you'll recognize it from movies. Make sure everyone carries enough water. It should be hotter than Hades, and at the same time it can flash flood because of Monsoon rains upstream. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 04-27-2011, 7:29 AM

I would suggest a backpack for everybody that can carry one. To hold water, snacks, camera. You must use their shuttle system inside the canyon so you won't have acces to your car.

The road that heads east out of the park is amazing.
Old 04-27-2011, 7:39 AM
Part time Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
Did you mean Zion National Park in Utah? There's a nice day hike to Emerald Pool I think it's called. If you go there you'll recognize it from movies. Make sure everyone carries enough water. It should be hotter than Hades, and at the same time it can flash flood because of Monsoon rains upstream. PAX
Hahaha. Thanks. For some weird reason there is a church down the street that is Mt Zion.
Old 04-27-2011, 7:41 AM
In Memoriam

That must be quite a 3 year old. It's a great place. There are some Anasazi paintings that are not advertised, but if you ask around you might get directions. If you can make it over to Bryce Canyon as well, it is worth it. If there are thunderstorms forecast, make sure whatever you are sleeping in is watertight, because you will see rain ten times harder than ANYTHING you can find in California.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:57 PM

I loved Zion.

Great shuttle system for hiking.

Angel's Landing was my favorite hike but it's not one for the kids or anyone with a fear of heights. This trail would never be built today.

Old 04-27-2011, 5:02 PM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

Gorgeous location. I did the 7 mile hike down the narrows. It was challenging for me in my 20's and I was in good shape. Rains and flash flooding are always a possibility. Take lots of pics and have fun
Old 04-27-2011, 7:16 PM

Haven't been down there in years. When I was a lil kid, we would make a couple days stop there or at Bryce, before we either hit the Shakespearean festival in Cedar city or Las Vegas for circus circus. Beautiful area. Check out the narrows.. oops already suggested^^^^. Theres also an old fort off of the 15 over on your way to zion.
Old 04-27-2011, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

Zion is a great park, but I found Bryce Canyon to be way more spectacular. If you have time, it's not too far away.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 04-27-2011, 7:54 PM
Part time Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskeeter View Post
I loved Zion.

Great shuttle system for hiking.

Angel's Landing was my favorite hike but it's not one for the kids or anyone with a fear of heights. This trail would never be built today.

Holy smoley!I'm not too crazy about heights.

Keep them coming folks. Loving the ideas.
Old 04-27-2011, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

Did that Angels landing hike last October, that last half mile up the chains is no joke i really thought my wife was going over the edge. I told her, no one will call us chicken if we decide to turn around but when the old couple passed us on by. Now we had to carry on to the top. It puts the backside of half dome to shame.

Great lodging and restaurants in Zion, that to puts Yosemite to shame.
Old 04-28-2011, 8:34 AM
Part time Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleship View Post
Did that Angels landing hike last October, that last half mile up the chains is no joke i really thought my wife was going over the edge. I told her, no one will call us chicken if we decide to turn around but when the old couple passed us on by. Now we had to carry on to the top. It puts the backside of half dome to shame.

Great lodging and restaurants in Zion, that to puts Yosemite to shame.
Hahaha! That's funny. I'd have told myself that they'll never know who I am & probably will never see me again so no shame in retreating.

What's up with the food at Yosemite? They sure have some crappy menu & quality. Only good food was at the Ahwahnee but $$$$$. I'll be staying outside the South gate in Springdale at Cable Mountain Lodge. Looks nice.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Apart from the Ahwahnee the food sucks in Yosemite and i have yet to find something nice outside of the park. Springdale Town has some very nice restaurants with seating out side and your surrounded by massive red cliffs as impressive as any inside the park.

Your going to have a great time there, be sure to drive up through the tunnel towards Checkerboard mesa for some wild rock formations.

No pictures do it justice.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Wide-brimmed hats.

Keeping the sun off your faces in midsummer while hiking is a must!!!!

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison, Federalist No. 51 (1787)
Old 04-29-2011, 7:39 AM
Part time Emperor

^^^^I'll pick up a mariachi sembrero.
Old 04-29-2011, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I highly recommend booney hats

There are a number of reasons for this:

1. They are the perfect size - the brim isn't too wide as to obscure your vision, but is isn't too narrow as to not do a good enough job of keeping the sun off of you

2. If a breeze, or the wind comes up (which often happens when you out and about), you can simply cinch up or tighten the chin cord

3. They store in a convenient fashion (you can fold them into a "cone" shape for storage, or for traveling)

4. They are lightweight

5. On a hot day, you can soak them in water, then put them back on your head to cool you down - and they will not become moldy or damaged

6. They come in many varieties and colors - some even have a place to put paper money in

7. Unlike most hats, they have adequate ventilation holes

8. As far has hats go, they are fairly inexpensive

9. The military uses them for the desert, and they know what works out there

10. I have been using them for years now, and I wouldn't use any hat when out in the sun

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary." - James Madison, Federalist No. 51 (1787)
Old 04-29-2011, 6:05 PM

O ya I forgot about angels landing. might not want to take the 3yo on that one. there are several short easy "walks" that the shuttle drops and picks you up at. Most have incredible picturesque views.

ps watch out for the squirrels/chipmunks.
Old 04-29-2011, 6:28 PM
Banned

2nd the Bryce over zion

My 2,800 megapixel camera.

Last edited by problemchild; 04-29-2011 at 6:32 PM..
Old 04-29-2011, 6:37 PM
In Memoriam

About Bryce and Zion etc........it was 1989 because we could just barely get KNBR on the radio to listen to the Giants the year they won the pennant, at night of course, and just barely through the static. We camped at Zion in a 6 person Coleman tent that just gave up the ghost last year, great investment. We drove to Bryce for the day and there were thunderstorms. I was up on thunderstorms, having read the brochure, and was ready to hit the road when it clouded up. We made one last stop at a view point and what do you know, we get out, feel our hair go on end, and about 100 yards away a bolt hits a hoodoo, blowing rocks in the air. And then it rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock. We headed back to Zion (which seems like a long ride 2.5 hours maybe?) and I fully expect to find our campsite washed away...not a drop there. Not the best vacation ever......but top ten for sure.
Old 04-29-2011, 7:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
About Bryce and Zion etc........it was 1989 because we could just barely get KNBR on the radio to listen to the Giants the year they won the pennant, at night of course, and just barely through the static. We camped at Zion in a 6 person Coleman tent that just gave up the ghost last year, great investment. We drove to Bryce for the day and there were thunderstorms. I was up on thunderstorms, having read the brochure, and was ready to hit the road when it clouded up. We made one last stop at a view point and what do you know, we get out, feel our hair go on end, and about 100 yards away a bolt hits a hoodoo, blowing rocks in the air. And then it rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock. We headed back to Zion (which seems like a long ride 2.5 hours maybe?) and I fully expect to find our campsite washed away...not a drop there. Not the best vacation ever......but top ten for sure.
Ive stood in Bryce, the North Rim of the Gran Canyon and Flagstaff in a lightning storm. Crazy as hell but you feel the power all around you. Like jumping out of an airplane at night. I have a shot on the North rim of lightning arching over a 120 foot tree on both sides. Freakin awesome. Here are a few shots of the night sky.

Last edited by problemchild; 04-29-2011 at 7:19 PM..
Old 04-29-2011, 7:19 PM
Banned

Old 04-29-2011, 7:24 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables

Food.

Other than fast food, there is only one place in Utah where I have found a tasty meal. Every other place has been extremely bland. I never thought it was possible to ruin scrambled eggs, but the people in that state do it.

Fortunately, that one place with great food is only 21 miles from the eastern entrance to the park... the Buffalo Bistro. Head out there and have a ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-29-2011, 7:26 PM
In Memoriam

Cool photos. Monument Valley is a heck of a place too. Windy, with I don't give a darn Indians running the campground, but if you hike around, you can feel the ghost of John Wayne watching. Also in the top ten, but only because of the Hopi eagle ceremony we caught on the way, and the Glen canyon dam tour. Amazingly good stuff can happen if you aren't tied to a destination, and act like a tourist, asking dumb questions.
Old 04-29-2011, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

great picts mon

Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Part time Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
2nd the Bryce over zion

My 2,800 megapixel camera.

The pix are nice but what about a pix of the 2,800 MP camera?
Old 04-30-2011, 5:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Cool photos. Monument Valley is a heck of a place too. Windy, with I don't give a darn Indians running the campground, but if you hike around, you can feel the ghost of John Wayne watching. Also in the top ten, but only because of the Hopi eagle ceremony we caught on the way, and the Glen canyon dam tour. Amazingly good stuff can happen if you aren't tied to a destination, and act like a tourist, asking dumb questions.
Been there and took the back country tour with a engine guide.

Shot at 1,100 mega-pixel. In the original you can see a beetle walking on the tree and every grain of sand for 25 yards. Can print the size of a garage door.

Old 04-30-2011, 9:54 AM
CGN Contributor

wow my uncle lives in Springdale.., and drives the shuttles in and out of Zion... I have to get down there someday...

S&W M&P .40 Shield / Ruger SR9 / Win Defender 1300
Old 04-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Calguns Addict

2,800 megapixel camera???

I didn't even know that something like that existed. If you don't mind me asking, how much do they cost?

Old 04-30-2011, 1:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofSoCal View Post
2,800 megapixel camera???

I didn't even know that something like that existed. If you don't mind me asking, how much do they cost?
I shoot in frames and rows. The shot of bryce canyon is 4 rows high by 16 pictures in each row stacked and blended.

I use PTGUI to stack and blend. I shoot with a canon 1ds2 and each frame is 16.7 megs x 3 for each frame as I shoot 3 different exposures and then take the rest of the pictures. So for one 2x10 row shot I take 60 images at 16.7 megs or a thousand megapixel worth of raw files to digitally develope.

Here is a 4x12(x3) shot of Mt Rushmore

The original (raw file was 3,880 megapixels)

Closeup view of one section to show detail

Last edited by problemchild; 04-30-2011 at 1:17 PM..
Old 04-30-2011, 1:38 PM

Your shots have always impressed the hell out of me. I remember when you posted your winter Yellowstone shots on Dieselplace and my wife and I were in awe.

Your prints aren't cheap, but they are worth it!

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-30-2011, 2:13 PM

Zion is one of our favorite southwest parks. With the 5 & 3 year old in tow I'd guess your hiking options are going to be somewhat limited.

Someone already mentioned Emerald Pools, which is a nice shorter hike up to some scenic pools at the base of the canyon wall. If your timing is right you might be there to watch a canyoneer or two make the 300' free hanging rappel down from the end of Heaps Canyon, a Zion classic.

You should also plan to walk out the path into the narrows as far as you are comfortable going. It's easy walking on a paved foot trail, but it gives you a sense of what it's like to be in the narrows. I think they call this the Riverside walk. You can continue into the river for a ways at the end of the trail if you and the kids have the energy.

The Weeping Rock trail is another shorter hike that that you and the kids can probably handle. Takes you up to a hanging garden fed by water seeping through the rock.

The drive out Rt 9 to the east through the tunnel and on to Mt Carmel will give you an interesting perspective of what Zion looks like outside the canyon. It's worthwhile if you have the time. There are some nice hikes up there, but most are too long for young kids.

As far as what to bring, your basic 10 essentials stuff will be fine for these shorter walks. Navigation, water, snacks, sun-screen, basic first aid, camera, and so on.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 04-30-2011, 2:58 PM

If you have time, continue out past the park through Mt Carmel Junction, turn north on 89. That will take you past Buffalo Bistro. Continue on to Hwy 12 a few miles before you get to Panguitch (easy to spot, follow the signs to Bryce).
Hwy 12 is also known as "The Land that Time Forgot Scenic Byway", alternately "A Journey Through Time Byway"
Bryce Canyon is just before you get to Tropic.
From there, continue on. Head up "The Burr Trail" at Boulder to the end where it turns into a gravel road. That overlooks Capitol Reef. Turn around, head back to 12, then north to the junction at Hwy 24.
You can top off your fuel at a Sinclair station on 12 just before you get to the junction for Burr Trail.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=37....%2C-111.398969

It's a long drive, and really best to fit it in on a trip when you are heading to somewhere north of there, but IMHO, that area is the most beautiful area in the southwestern states.
I've done that trip three times on the motorcycle and I'd do it every year if I could.

Quote:

Last edited by Cokebottle; 04-30-2011 at 3:01 PM..
Old 04-30-2011, 3:02 PM
Banned

To be honest that whole area is one of my favorite spots in the USA. You have bryce, Zion, Page, Slot canyon, Lee's Ferry, North Rim, Horseshoe bend, Monument Valley and Capitol Reef.

The slots are something to see.........

Horseshoe bend
Old 04-30-2011, 3:31 PM
Part time Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofSoCal View Post
I highly recommend booney hats

There are a number of reasons for this:

1. They are the perfect size - the brim isn't too wide as to obscure your vision, but is isn't too narrow as to not do a good enough job of keeping the sun off of you

2. If a breeze, or the wind comes up (which often happens when you out and about), you can simply cinch up or tighten the chin cord

3. They store in a convenient fashion (you can fold them into a "cone" shape for storage, or for traveling)

4. They are lightweight

5. On a hot day, you can soak them in water, then put them back on your head to cool you down - and they will not become moldy or damaged

6. They come in many varieties and colors - some even have a place to put paper money in

7. Unlike most hats, they have adequate ventilation holes

8. As far has hats go, they are fairly inexpensive

9. The military uses them for the desert, and they know what works out there

10. I have been using them for years now, and I wouldn't use any hat when out in the sun

I'll probably wear this outfit & hat....
Old 04-30-2011, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
To be honest that whole area is one of my favorite spots in the USA.
I would say that, except for 2 reasons....

1 - My exposure is limited to the states west of the Rockies, the corridor between Birmingham and Atlanta, and DC and Historical Williamsburg

2 - I dunno man... Yellowstone and the Tetons rank right up there, and Crater Lake is nothing to sneeze at

Taking the combination of weather, accessibility, lodging, and food cost/availability, yes, I'd have to agree. If someone said "I am sending you on a 2 month long vacation but you have to stay within 200 air-miles of the hotel" Mt Carmel Junction or Panguitch would be my pick.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2011, 5:25 PM
CGN Contributor

wow problemchild... just awesome

S&W M&P .40 Shield / Ruger SR9 / Win Defender 1300