Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 PM

Default Glock 19 vs Sig P2022 - 9mm

Glock 19 vs SigSauer P2022, 9mm. Which do you prefer? Why?
(If this has been discussed please direct me to that discussion)
Thanks...

WTB: 9mm Carbine, preferably AR Type, PM me...
Old 04-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Both are great guns. I've owned both and recently sold the sp2022. Not sure why, as it was a great gun. I kept the glock but probably because it was my first handgun and I've shot it more than anything else. You will not be disappointed with either.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 AM

You cant beat the price of a new sp2022. It has a great trigger, is super reliable, and is more accurate than any of us will ever be. I have both and shoot my sp2022 better.

With that said, everybody needs a glock 19.

WTT: Federal hydrashock 40s&w JHP's for 9mm fmj's locally

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=927721
Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Doode... Apples & Oranges much?

If you don't have your own preference for such completely different handguns there may be no hope for you.

I prefer the SIG. A handgun should be made of metal & it should have a hammer. 1 out of 2 beats the block.

I do like the 19 a little tho.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 AM

I prefer Glock because I shoot better with it. I owned a SP2022 and it was the most uneventful gun I've ever shot. YMMV.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Banned

Tagged, this should be good.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus View Post
I prefer Glock because I shoot better with it. I owned a SP2022 and it was the most uneventful gun I've ever shot. YMMV.
Really, one of the things i like about my SP2022 is the snappiness factor.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:46 AM

I'm pretty interested as to what you guys have to say as well. I really like the feel of the 2022, but I can't get myself to warm up to a g19. I'm an addict of the fullsize glocks though. 30k rounds later on a g17, zero FTF FTE. Not sure the sig what hold up tp those kind of standards. They weren't fookin around when they said "perfection"
Old 04-26-2011, 7:03 AM

I really like my Sig Pro. I love the trigger, and have shot lots and lots of rounds with almost zero malfunctions.

Jeff

Sig Sauer Certified Armorer, P320 Pistol
Old 04-26-2011, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

Both are great guns, but as pointed out earlier.. it depends on what you want. I like the SP2022 a lot, but I'm currently selling mine. I'm switching over to striker-fired pistols. Its nice to have a consistent trigger and no extra controls to bother with. If there is one weakness to the SP2022, its the fact that the rocker-type slide catch/disassembly pin and the decocker are very pronounced. They dig into the palm of my hand when I shoot. I don't even mind the higher bore axis or having so much slide on top. A Glock 19 is well... a Glock. Nothing bad to say about it.. but nothing that really makes it really stand out (its become the standard)
Old 04-26-2011, 8:12 AM

Quote:
...and it was the most uneventful gun I've ever shot. YMMV.
What does this mean? Is this the same as people who say that a particular gun is "boringly accurate"? WTF? A gun is not supposed to be eventful. There should be one event...bang...
Old 04-26-2011, 8:14 AM

Quote:
I owned a SP2022 and it was the most uneventful gun I've ever shot. YMMV.
I have one and that's a pretty accurate summary. Nothing wrong with it. It's the vanilla flavor of the bunch tho....

NO ISSUE / MAY ISSUE / SHALL ISSUE - LTC progress over time since 1986

Old 04-26-2011, 8:59 AM

WTF does this mean!!!!

Your logic is killing me. Maybe I have a problem with comprehension, but I don't get the point. I infer from your posts that you would prefer something to happen other than solid smooth accurate shooting. What do you want stovepipe jams to get your heart rate up? Uncertainty as to where the bullet is going to hit?
Old 04-26-2011, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

G19>2022 any day of the week
Old 04-26-2011, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Glock

I owned Sigs and sold Sigs. I'am a big fan of GLOCK 19s.

Probably the most popular 9MM in the world and for several good reasons.

They run 100% all of the time. No controls to fumble with. They fit my hand well.

On the other hand.....I plan on getting an HK P30 later this year...why..?..Because ONE GUN IS NEVER ENOUGH..!

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 04-26-2011, 9:42 AM

Nevermind the weird comments about "uneventful, boring, vanilla..." I guess I will never understand that. But comparing the two pistols is difficult, as previously stated its apples and oranges. The trigger mechanisms are different. People will have the preference based on the system they like not because one actually better than the other. If we take the operation comparison away: I prefer the Sig grip and ergos, if I were carrying it I would prefer the Glock weight and size, but I prefer the heft of the Sig for range duty and night stand duty, the sites are a wash, field stripping procedure goes to the Glock, looks/fit/finish/design is superior on the Sig, mag release - Sig. As you can see it is pretty even (to me). But I prefer DA/SA operation, and the 2022 has a GREAT trigger. I like having a hammer on the gun. It should also be noted that my 2022 had a awesome finish on the slide. It was smooth and silky. I don't know what it was, but I was very impressed.

In the end, when you pick it up and look at it and clean it and hold it and shoot it, you have to like it. I would wear a glock and shoot it if i was put in that position, but I would not love it and I wouldn't be a proud owner. It just doesn't appeal to me, but it is a great tool.

Last edited by Moto4Fun; 04-26-2011 at 9:54 AM..
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 AM

Glocks are just tools, SIGS are works of art.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorenut View Post
Its nice to have a consistent trigger and no extra controls to bother with. If there is one weakness to the SP2022, its the fact that the rocker-type slide catch/disassembly pin and the decocker are very pronounced.
Those would be the two main points for me.

Side notes-

- The SP 2022 looks very tactical

- Fits my hand well.

I would like to own a SP2022, but just have a need to. I think SIG has a winner on their hands with this model, they just dont know it.

Last edited by tbhracing; 04-26-2011 at 10:11 AM..
Old 04-26-2011, 10:13 AM

Both are great guns, both are reliable, both are combat accurate.

What it boils down to is 1) preference, 2) price.

If you shoot one significantly better than the other, that's the one you should buy. If you shoot them equally well, pick which ever one you like the feel of better. If one is significantly less expensive than the other and all other things are equal, pick the less expensive firearm.

I love Sigs, don't care for Glocks, but that's just me. What's best for me is not always what's best for you.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Both are great pistols I've had a glock 19 before. I just got an sp2022 and it shoots great really accuarate gun. The only thing I don't like is the slide stop, it's too high up It kept hitting my thumb and the slide wouldn't stay back on last round. Other than that it's great. I would buy whatever feels good in your hand. Shoot them both.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 AM

Old P22x are work of art.. sigpro are reproductions in polymer. G19 and SP2022 are both good guns. just picked up my Sp2022 to see what is all the fuss about the $399 gun. Shot it last week, both capable as range and SD gun, but glock has a better trigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermzzzzzzz View Post
Glocks are just tools, SIGS are works of art.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 AM

Some people describe their guns as a joy to shoot. My sp2022 was not. Yes, it went bang everytime and I could get a decent group on it, but to me that was all it had going for it.

The trigger was smooth, but a bit heavy for me to get confident with long range shots. The grip was good, but too low so follow up shots were a little slower to align to the target. Over all not bad, but not real good either. In other words, just regular.

The Glock, having a higher grip allows me to shoot faster without losing too much accuracy. You can also easily adjust the trigger to your tastes for not a lot of money, so for me, I'd go with Glock out of the two choices the OP asked. Mags are cheaper and there are more holster options for the Glock, too.

The Sig is $400 compared to $500ish for a G19, but for me, the extra $100 is well worth it for a gun that fits me better.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:21 PM

I like the Sig. When funds permit, I'll pick one up. However, for real world use it really is "Glock uber alles". Its simple - the revolver of auto pistols. Its reliable. Mods are cheap and all the important ones can be done yourself with the right size punch and some youtube videos. Gotta love it.

I was shooting a Glock when shooting a Glock wasn't cool.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc748bip View Post
Old P22x are work of art.. sigpro are reproductions in polymer. G19 and SP2022 are both good guns. just picked up my Sp2022 to see what is all the fuss about the $399 gun. Shot it last week, both capable as range and SD gun, but glock has a better trigger
Sig pro's arent reproductions. They are innovative pistols that we're built from the ground up.

Alot will say that the sig has a crisper single action trigger, even better than the p series. It is lighter than the glock.

The glock is not as nice, but not bad by any means. It reset's at the same point every shot.

Old 04-26-2011, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I am something of a Sig hater. I respect that they are extremely well made, but that is about where my respect for them starts to faulter. I just don't like a lot of their core design features. In my not so humble opinion they get in the way. I am on the other hand a huge Glock lover. I love the simplicity of design and functionality. It makes for an amazing self defense weapon.
Old 04-26-2011, 1:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4Fun View Post
Nevermind the weird comments about "uneventful, boring, vanilla..." I guess I will never understand that. But comparing the two pistols is difficult, as previously stated its apples and oranges. The trigger mechanisms are different. People will have the preference based on the system they like not because one actually better than the other. If we take the operation comparison away: I prefer the Sig grip and ergos, if I were carrying it I would prefer the Glock weight and size, but I prefer the heft of the Sig for range duty and night stand duty, the sites are a wash, field stripping procedure goes to the Glock, looks/fit/finish/design is superior on the Sig, mag release - Sig. As you can see it is pretty even (to me). But I prefer DA/SA operation, and the 2022 has a GREAT trigger. I like having a hammer on the gun. It should also be noted that my 2022 had a awesome finish on the slide. It was smooth and silky. I don't know what it was, but I was very impressed.

In the end, when you pick it up and look at it and clean it and hold it and shoot it, you have to like it. I would wear a glock and shoot it if i was put in that position, but I would not love it and I wouldn't be a proud owner. It just doesn't appeal to me, but it is a great tool.

Point by point we take the complete oposite view. Which is very typical of Glock vs. Sig lovers so don't take it personally.

I am not a fan of the DA/SA action. Mastering two distinct trigger pulls at speed under pressure is very complicated. You end up with one high grouping and one low grouping and none in the middle where you wanted the shots to be. The Glock offers a consistent trigger pull each and every time. You know exactly how much pressure to use and it becomes muscle memory in 1/1000000 the amount of time. It is very easy for people to say "just train harder and more often". Few people who say it actually have done it. They wouldn't think it was so easy if they had. Not saying that is you...just responding to the inevitable post from somebody before it comes.

The hammer inside or outside does not matter all that much to me, but I will say I prefer inside. If you have to fire from the hip your concealment garment can get caught in the hammer and prevent the gun from firing. Obviously the circumstances are pretty dire if you didn't have time to point-in...so you are seriously up a creek if that happens. But I like 1911s, and they have an exposed hammer. So it is not a huge sticking point with me.

How a gun feels in my hand is almost a non-issue to me. I have to be able to reach the controls consistantly and reliably and it should not hurt my hand or feel like it is going to slip out. Beyond that it does not need to be ultra-comfy. I am not walking around with it in my hand all day long. It is in the holster. And when I am shooting it I have a lot more important things on my mind than whether or not it feels like it is giving me a massage.

Weight is an issue for carry. Especially in a concealment gun but also in a duty weapon.

Both guns would be difficult to conceal due to their size, girth, etc. But it is doable with a heavy concealment garment. Not ideal in the summer time.

Looks don't matter to me at all. They did when I first got into shooting. But when comparing how well a Glock performed to a Beretta at four day defensive course, I instantly stopped carring about the pretty factor. I'd much rather be alive with the ugliest gun in the world in my belt than lying dead on the floor with the most magnificent peice of art ever made.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 04-26-2011 at 1:23 PM..
Old 04-26-2011, 2:07 PM

I have shot both, and prefer the sp2022, so much so that I went and bought one. It is a great gun thus far, and I have put nearly 1000 flawless rounds through it. I do prefer Sig over everything, but Glocks are still great guns. In the end, it is whatever fits you best. If you have a chance, go shoot both and make your decision.
Old 04-26-2011, 2:23 PM
Veteran Member

What trigger platform do you prefer?
What has the better reset?
What is generally more reliable/has less parts or things to break?

I prefer GLOCKS. Looks mean nothing to me as I view and use my firearms as tools. I'd never say a GLOCK (or anything else) is reliable 100 percent of the time though...I've yet to shoot one that's dead reliable (except mine but its still pretty new). Machines and tools all break some time or another after use.
Old 04-26-2011, 5:59 PM

I think both are a good choice. I will say I just sold my Sig P226R in .40 to get the Glock 19. It is simple and goes bang everytime, cheaper to shoot than the .40 I sold. My Sig was a great weapon and would have no problem using one to defend my family. I put over 3000 rnds through her in a little over a year. I never had a FTF,FTE, the slide would not lock back about 90% of the time but it went bang everytime. I put over 300 rnds through a rental G19 never had a FTF,FTE and the slide locked back everytime. Looks and feel Sig wins for me. But where it all matters reliability, ease of use and my wife can pick up the Glock shoot. The Sig was a problem for her, with the decocker and the long first pull of the trigger and the weight of the pistol. The Glock she can pick it up put the magazine in release the slide and pull the trigger and it is a lighter gun.

Like I said Sig is a great weapon and would feel completely confident it would get the job done. They both are very accurate and reliable. I think I am a new Glock convert. That is sort of funny because I was never really drawn to them, but I really enjoy how simple the pistol is to operate for a non pistol shooter like my wife. The Glock for me is the most natural to point weapon I have fired with no real trigger time on the pistol. Shoot both and then decide if married see if the wife can shoot both.
Old 04-26-2011, 6:07 PM

I have shot many pistols/rifles in my time and get decent trigger time. I just like the simplicity of the same trigger pull each and every time. Nothing to think about. In stressful situations, you don't want to be thinking about different trigger pulls. I was never part of the "pistol has to look good club". Looks are subjective anyway.

To me, what functions well, looks good to me.

Reminds me of the debate from when we were kids, "what would you want, a good looking wife but dumb, or a smart wife and not so good looking".....well I got the best of both worlds in my wife (good looking and smart) and my pistol, functions well and good looking.
Old 04-26-2011, 6:18 PM

SP2022 doesn't belong in the same conversation as any Glock 9mm. Great gun but no contest. Ergonomics, magazine interchangeability (and it comes with twice as many out of the box) plus Glock's customer service. Winner winner
Old 04-26-2011, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Both are good guns...glock wins for me, simplicity.....
Old 04-26-2011, 7:54 PM

+1 for the Sig 2022. GREAT gun!
Old 04-26-2011, 8:18 PM

i like the simplicity of the 19, plus it's sexy in OD!
Old 04-26-2011, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC 82-86 View Post
I think both are a good choice. I will say I just sold my Sig P226R in .40 to get the Glock 19. It is simple and goes bang everytime, cheaper to shoot than the .40 I sold. My Sig was a great weapon and would have no problem using one to defend my family. I put over 3000 rnds through her in a little over a year. I never had a FTF,FTE, the slide would not lock back about 90% of the time but it went bang everytime. I put over 300 rnds through a rental G19 never had a FTF,FTE and the slide locked back everytime. Looks and feel Sig wins for me. But where it all matters reliability, ease of use and my wife can pick up the Glock shoot. The Sig was a problem for her, with the decocker and the long first pull of the trigger and the weight of the pistol. The Glock she can pick it up put the magazine in release the slide and pull the trigger and it is a lighter gun.

Like I said Sig is a great weapon and would feel completely confident it would get the job done. They both are very accurate and reliable. I think I am a new Glock convert. That is sort of funny because I was never really drawn to them, but I really enjoy how simple the pistol is to operate for a non pistol shooter like my wife. The Glock for me is the most natural to point weapon I have fired with no real trigger time on the pistol. Shoot both and then decide if married see if the wife can shoot both.
Im the same way you are about glocks. At first i didnt want to like them, owning a p226, hk usp, m&p w/ apex tactical parts. i wanted to try a glock 19 because everybody here raves about them. I ended up getting a glock 23 here on the marketplace and bought a 40-9mm conversion barrel and 3 g19 mags (couldnt find a glock 19 at the time and this g23 was only shot once, looked brand new, and came with 4 mags for $450). I then saw what the big fuss was about. The thing freekin takes 5 seconds to field strip. At the range it shoots exactly where you point it, it was totally reliable, the trigger is easy to master. I ended up trading that 23 for a converted saiga, and some ammo. I had a bad case of traders remorse and sold another pistol i had and got one. This one isnt going anywhere!

Old 04-26-2011, 9:35 PM

The 2022 is my next hand gun, my first was a 229 and i love it. My buddy has a g19 and i really like it but cant say that i love it!
Old 04-26-2011, 9:45 PM

for some reason.... I liked the feel of the G19 and how it shot over the Sig.
Best way is go out there, rent both of them and shoot them. This is the best way. Everyone is different. My hands prefer the G19 but you might prefer the Sig.

Good luck.!

For sure though.... The Glock is way more simple and easier to work with.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:09 PM

Of the two you're looking at, I would choose the Glock. If you said Sig P226 vs Glock 17, then it's a toss up for me. I like both weapons for different reasons. The trigger on a Sig is harder to master, but I don't have a problem with either. Shoot both, choose what you like.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Banned

Lets talk from facts and experience and put fanboyancy aside.

Grip: SP2022 has interchangeable grips and the factory one fits most people MUCH better than Glock's grips.

DA/SA action + decocker are a huuuuuge advantage on the side of the Sig. Never liked glock's safe action thing.

Price... Sig.

Reliability and accuracy are roughly the same. Though how often do you hear about Sigs breaking? Right.

If you want the external safeties, Sig has none. You are better off with the Glock.

If you want to stack up 10 mags, no one yet makes 3rd party mags for the Sig, so the genuine mags run around $45 a piece. That can get very pricey very quickly. The Glock has a large aftermarket base and many used parts.

My personal choice was with the Sig. I enjoy every round and don't look back.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM

I don't understand why people are so scared of or can't handle DA/SA. Its not that hard.