Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 04-22-2011, 8:59 AM
CGN Contributor

Default USMC shooting jacket

So, I've been trying to find me an USMC shooting jacket (double or triple XL), and for the life of me I cannot. Do you guys know any sources? I figured you'd all be the ones to ask!

I checked Fred's M14 Stocks, and in order to get a shooting jacket from there you need to order a package deal with the Rifleman's Guide and targets. I already have a bunch of targets, and I have three Rifleman's Guides!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 AM

try here http://www.militarylogisticsmfg.com/p0002252.html
Old 04-22-2011, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Warning!!! Warning!!!! Order from
Military logistics at your own risk. They have taken many an Appleseeders money and delivered no jacket.
Old 04-22-2011, 2:31 PM

disregard then
Old 04-22-2011, 5:35 PM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yup MilitaryLogistics will steal your money. Avoid them!

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”
Old 04-22-2011, 7:51 PM

i googled the usmc jacket, found someones rant, then checked out champion shooters supply which carries several types.
Old 04-22-2011, 8:46 PM

I ordered three jacket sets from Fred's M14 Stocks. Received an auto-generated confirmation email. A month later, sent a very gentle inquiry as to the order status, and received this one-liner:

What day were you charged?

I replied that I'm merely inquiring about order status, without any implications that money was taken while goods were not delivered. This apparently didn't warrant a reply, and no goods have arrived.

Does anyone know what name they use to bill the credit card? This is a business card with a lot of volume, and I can't definitively say whether or not they have charged it. Probably not, but I'd like to be sure.

In any case, the "customer service" experience thus far has been, shall we say, less than exemplary.
Old 04-22-2011, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Fred's has been swamped lately (not to mention the Fred has been on the trail lately). I ordered a set about two months ago but haven't been charged yet. I'll probablly get ahold of them next week. Fred is pretty open about the fact that he will get to orders when he gets to them. Send me a pm and I'll see what I can do gorblimey.
Old 04-22-2011, 9:47 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badduggy
i googled the usmc jacket, found someones rant, then checked out champion shooters supply which carries several types.
So Champion Shooter Supply is good to go?
Old 04-23-2011, 7:39 AM

ive bought 22lr ammo from there and its good to go!
Old 04-23-2011, 5:58 PM
Veteran Member

I've bought a few odds and ends from CSS as well, they're quick and zero problems.
Old 04-28-2011, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshoebot View Post
So, I've been trying to find me an USMC shooting jacket (double or triple XL), and for the life of me I cannot. Do you guys know any sources? I figured you'd all be the ones to ask!
I've been looking for the same jacket for about 3 years now. Closest I've found for sale was an X and it was tight on my 6'4" 240 Frame.... I'm 260 now....
Old 04-28-2011, 3:55 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks View Post
I've been looking for the same jacket for about 3 years now. Closest I've found for sale was an X and it was tight on my 6'4" 240 Frame.... I'm 260 now....

Yeah I'm 6'1 and 250... So I'd probably need a 2x or 3x. Tough to find. All that's out there are those "basic" shooting jackets that are bright blue or all different bright colors. I want an OD green shooting jacket

Old 05-02-2011, 5:15 PM

yup thats exactly what I have been looking for. I've searched every Army -navy store I could find from San Fran to Reno Bakersfield to Redding, and everyplace online. If I just happen on 2 Ill let ya know.
Old 05-02-2011, 6:37 PM
CGSSA President

remember ebay, they have them occasionally as well

President of CGSSA
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”
Old 05-02-2011, 8:07 PM

try the tubbs vest. its pricey.
Old 05-03-2011, 5:40 AM

I am using a Creedmoor Basics jacket. Inexpensive and way better than USMC jacket.http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store...cat=249&page=1
Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks
yup thats exactly what I have been looking for. I've searched every Army -navy store I could find from San Fran to Reno Bakersfield to Redding, and everyplace online. If I just happen on 2 Ill let ya know.
Please do! I'll keep an eye-out at stores here in southern CA, and if I find 2 I'll let you know as well. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper5
I am using a Creedmoor Basics jacket. Inexpensive and way better than USMC jacket.?http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store...cat=249&page=1
That's a nice jacket, I just don't like the snap-closures and straps all over the front. I like the USMC jacket because it has button closures at the front, and just looks more comfortable. I'm not trying to shoot matches with the jacket, I just want something I can use when out on BLM land practicing with a sling.

Last edited by jshoebot; 05-13-2011 at 8:11 AM..
Old 05-04-2011, 12:10 PM

FYI, I got my XXL USMC jacket from Fred's M14 about a month ago... Same story with me, took a while to get processed (over a month), but I called to inquire and after I talked to a gentleman the order processed the next day.
As far as the guides and targets, just donate them to some potentially motivated appleseeders if you don't have any use for them. IMO, if you find your size USMC shooting jacket, snatch it up as long as it's reasonable price.
I'm also 6'5, 240lbs, size XXL is just right, almost a little small in the shoulders, but serviceable.
Old 05-04-2011, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1600 View Post
I'm also 6'5, 240lbs, size XXL is just right, almost a little small in the shoulders, but serviceable.
Damn it the shoulders are ALWAYS my problem. I guess I need a 3X
Old 05-08-2011, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper5 View Post
I am using a Creedmoor Basics jacket. Inexpensive and way better than USMC jacket.http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store...cat=249&page=1
That was what I was issued for Far East Division Matches this last year, and was the predominant jacket by tyros and past distinguished shooters alike. I saw a few of my fellow competitors sporting the bright blue CMP shooting jackets, but that was it.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM

I saw the creedmore basics jacket, I dont like the snap closures either, they seem like they'd be uncomfortable to lay on.plus I dont want to pay 80.00 because I'm cheap. what I'm going to do since i havent found a jacket I like is buy some leather, then got o the surplus store for a good condition uniform top and a sleeping mat and build my own. I'll probably post up the final product with a range report for anyone who might be interested.
Old 05-09-2011, 7:25 PM

I havent had a chance yet but my local guy just told me to check "Stars and Stripes" and "GI Joes" I think they were both down in SoCal around San Diego. He also recommended stuff in and around Quantico.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper5 View Post
Creedmore is good to go!
(looks strange because it's a lefty jacket)
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." - Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackston, W. Virginia Board of Education v. Burnette, 1943

Old 05-12-2011, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smogcity View Post
Creedmore is good to go!
(looks strange because it's a lefty jacket)
I'm kind of leaning this way for ease even though I'm partial to the surplus stuff. Now I just have to figure out what damned size I am???????
Old 05-13-2011, 3:17 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfidelis354
I saw the creedmore basics jacket, I dont like the snap closures either, they seem like they'd be uncomfortable to lay on.plus I dont want to pay 80.00 because I'm cheap. what I'm going to do since i havent found a jacket I like is buy some leather, then got o the surplus store for a good condition uniform top and a sleeping mat and build my own. I'll probably post up the final product with a range report for anyone who might be interested.
Would you post about the materials you use, and maybe a how-to with pictures? That would be great! I've been wanting to do the same thing, but don't really know how to go about it. A how-to would be much appreciated!

Last edited by jshoebot; 05-13-2011 at 8:11 AM..
Old 05-13-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Would you post about the materials you use, and maybe a how-to with pictures? That would be great! I've been wanting to do the same thing, but don't really know how to go about it. A how-to would be much appreciated!
Sure I'll do a how-to when I get the materials together... I do warn you, it may suck...
Old 05-14-2011, 12:20 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfidelis354
Sure I'll do a how-to when I get the materials together... I do warn you, it may suck...
I don't think it could suck more than not having a jacket

Thanks, looking forward to it!

For those of us who aren't do-it-yourself inclined, would you be able to post a list of materials, place you got the materials, and prices whenever you post the how-to? It would be much appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 PM

I've looked at GI Joe's surplus and they only have size Med jackets.
As for making your own jacket, I made one out of an ACU top and some neoprene for the elbows. The ACU jacket actually has pockets with velcro closures already there. Later I bought one of those med jackets and salvaged the bicep cuff and elbow pad from it for the ACU jacket.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 PM

I'm just about to start sewing. Who wants one. LOL

If I could find a couple or torn to hell old ones I could make patterns.
Old 06-08-2011, 1:01 PM

Have you tried the numerous surplus stores in Oceanside?
Member #46312
Old 06-09-2011, 5:34 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm just about to start sewing. Who wants one. LOL

If I could find a couple or torn to hell old ones I could make patterns.
I'm excited for the finished product!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT2K
I've looked at GI Joe's surplus and they only have size Med jackets.
As for making your own jacket, I made one out of an ACU top and some neoprene for the elbows. The ACU jacket actually has pockets with velcro closures already there. Later I bought one of those med jackets and salvaged the bicep cuff and elbow pad from it for the ACU jacket.
Are you talking about the GI Joe's in downtown? Can you post a picture of the ACU jacket you made? All my gear is ACU so I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like

Quote:
Originally Posted by notme92069
Have you tried the numerous surplus stores in Oceanside?
No I haven't. I never spend much time in Oceanside as it's a bit of a drive for me. I'm down by Qualcomm stadium.

I checked the surplus store out in El Cajon, they said they only get shooting jackets once a year or so, and it's always a small amount and they're always mediums.

I guess when the USMC used shooting jackets, they didn't have any man-sized Marines!

Old 06-09-2011, 4:44 PM

[QUOTE=jshoebot;6559668]I'm excited for the finished product!!

[QUOTE]

Sorry..... that was a totally fail attempt at sarcasm.

I dont even have a sewing machine just yet. I can sew though, and If I had a pattern of some sort I could probably pull it off.

Last edited by motorwerks; 06-09-2011 at 5:16 PM..
Old 06-10-2011, 2:37 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sorry..... that was a totally fail attempt at sarcasm. ?

I dont even have a sewing machine just yet. I can sew though, and If I had a pattern of some sort I could probably pull it off.
Haha it wasn't sarcasm. I want to see some homemade shooting jackets!!!

I might just jump in and start making one.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about the GI Joe's in downtown? Can you post a picture of the ACU jacket you made? All my gear is ACU so I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like
Here's a pic of it. I was talking about the GI joes surplus in El Cajon, right off of the 8 on el cajon blvd. They have GI shooting jackets but only in med. I saw they have a few of the creedmoor style jackets but they are also med sized. They were only like $25 so I bought one to salvage the elbow pads and bicep cuff. Then just added it to an ACU jacket I had. I also put some thin neoprene pads that had come with some 5.11 pants into the sleeve pockets for some padding on the left arm.

I made the ACU one after I had already put my riflemans patch on my GI shooting jacket. But I like the ACU one because of the lighter color and material.

This is my other jacket/22 rifle setup

Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 PM
CGN Contributor

That looks good, thanks for the post!

Last edited by jshoebot; 06-13-2011 at 8:15 AM..
Old 06-13-2011, 5:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Those old USMC coats are ok for prone and sitting, but offer no real added advantage for standing.

As far as the snap buckles uncomfortable to lay on is a non-issue, because if you are laying on them, your position is wrong; there's no way your center body should be touching the ground. Maybe your center abdomen, but you'd never have the coat buckled at the torso/abdomen in prone (top two or three buckles at most).

When you buy a coat, make sure you get the right side. It's basically futile to have a coat that's too big. Too small, is doable if you can get it on, but definitely having a coat too big is useless.

With Creedmoor's sizing, I go with a 38 when I buy my hardback coats. I wear a suit size 40 and my chest measures about 39". I went with a 38 Creedmoor because I wanted it snug around the chest and the 38 is just snug enough, even when I wear a sweatshirt underneath.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 06-13-2011, 6:52 AM
CGSSA President

[QUOTE=RobT2K;6581195]They were only like $25 so I bought one to salvage the elbow pads and bicep cuff. Then just added it to an ACU jacket I had. I also put some thin neoprene pads that had come with some 5.11 pants into the sleeve pockets for some padding on the left arm.

I made the ACU one after I had already put my riflemans patch on my GI shooting jacket. But I like the ACU one because of the lighter color and material.

I like the ACU jacket, I am considering putting one together. have you taken it out to see how it worked?

President of CGSSA
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Old 06-14-2011, 2:09 PM

those look awesome! I guess thats going to be an option I have to think about.
Old 06-21-2011, 7:17 PM

Of course I've used them both, and they work great. Especially the ACU one since it has a better bicep cuff.

If you can assemble the parts cheaply, I wouldn't hesitate to put one together.